I just CRASHED my car. I was turning right on a free flow lane and I hit some black ice and crashed right into the curb...

I just CRASHED my car. I was turning right on a free flow lane and I hit some black ice and crashed right into the curb. Now the wheel is pushed over to the right and is scrapping along the wheelwell. It's the drivers side wheel.

I drive a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire.

I looked underneath and the part in pic related(not my car) is bent. I'm also assuming the part above it is also bent since they are attached together.

I don't know that much about cars and I don't know what to do.

How much will this cost to repair?

I heard you can find mechanics that buy used parts and use those. Would that be much cheaper?

inb4 buy a new car
I will if the cost of repairing it is more than the car.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gAtjwHYYwd8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Take some pics of your car.

That's called an A-arm

It's at work right now.
I probably should have taken pictures.

My friend took pictures, I just texted him so he can send them to me.

Are those costly to repair if you go to a mechanic? If that was bent is there a good chance the bar above it is bent and other things are bent?

What is the name of the bar above it?

as long as it's just the suspension thats damaged you should be fine

most of those parts are replaceable, you could do it yourself if you had a few tools

What do you think is causing the tire to be pushed to the right and grind against the wheelwell?

I know the A-arm is bent, but there must be something else holding it there, no?

As someone that has replaced his "a arm" unmounting the shock that is under tension is not for the faint of heart.

Depends on what costly is to you.
I think a $3,000 supercharger is a good price for my car. A $300 3 core radiator.

If you don't like your car, it's not worth it.
Otherwise.

Look up the names of the parts you need, find the part number through a big name company. Take that part number and buy it off of ebay. Ez.

>unmounting the shock that is under tension
You actually have to take the shocks off to do this?

well the three point of contact are the a arm axle and tie rod

the axle is unlikely to be bent because it i the thickest steel and can articulate the most

but the a arm and tie rod are likely bent

tie rod are an easy fix and cheap, idk where to find an a arm or whatever the fuck its called

>If you don't like your car, it's not worth it.
It's worth it up to 1000 dollars because I need a car to drive.

Paid 1800 CAD for the car 2 years ago.

>a arm
Is this also called a lower control arm?

Actual solstice 2006 diagram. Excuse my recent posting.
Jargon goes as.
1 - Spindle
2 - Hub
3/4 - Coilover (Strut/Coil)
5/6/7 - Strut/Coilover Mount
8 - Upper control arm & ball joint
9 - Lower Control arm & ball joint
10/11/12 - Swaybar and swaybar bushings
13 - Swaybar Link

not pictured

Axle and outer tie rod.
Tie rods are not side specific, axles are.

interesting

I guess my sunfire only has 1 control arm.

I'm assuming the control arm is bent, the sway bar is possibly bent and the tie rod is possibly bent.

Do you know how much this would cost to repair if I brought it to a mechanic?

I would suggest doing it yourself when it gets down to it.
$400 would be what I would charge.
You don't actually NEED a swaybar, it just makes the car now droop side to side when taking turns.
That control arm is important though. You're going to need an alignment. That's easily $60.

Yes. Which also means getting the car re-aligned (costs you maybe $100). The repair itself is pretty straight forward and doesn't take long, given that just the a-arm needs replacing.

Okay if I just went to an average mechanic, will they be using new or used parts?

Should I find one that uses used parts because it would be cheaper?

I watched this video on youtube and he didn't need to take the shocks off.
youtube.com/watch?v=gAtjwHYYwd8

>Should I find one that uses used parts because it would be cheaper?
Absolutely. That may cut the cost for material in half.

If you don't need to remove the shock, even better. You may still need the get it realigned after that.

>Absolutely. That may cut the cost for material in half.
How common are mechanics like that and how do I find one that does this?

>You don't actually NEED a swaybar
Veeky Forums at it again, good luck thought.

>Not deleting the front swaybar and oversizing the rear

Do you even drive kid?

>but the a arm and tie rod are likely bent

I can still move the wheel perfectly fine left and right though.

Is it still likely bent?

OP, we're talking about alignments and parts that are measured to the tenths and maybe hundredths of a degree.

Maybe he really loves Mini

Just go into the shop and ask, some will give you a shopping list to go the nearest dump and buy some to make it faster since they probably have better stuff to do than go shopping for old parts

Yes, besides everything else that's been mentioned your steering rack (rack and pinion) is likely damaged as well, is the steering wheel straight when the car is going straight? Does it pull one way or the other if you take your hands off the wheel? Even if you did fix all this yourself you would still need to have it aligned, which is a trip to the shop no matter what. This shouldn't cost much to have repaired by a mechanic depending on where you live. It is an American car so labor will be cheaper.

I removed the sway bars from my Jeep a year ago when lifting it. It drives just fine. And if I'm in a hurry, three wheeled turns can be fun.

Maybe he meant on a mustang, they drive like shit anyway.

Parts that might be dead from that impact:
control arm
tie rod
sway bar (not too likely, its kinda elastic after all)
wheel bearing or other parts of the wheel mount (also not too likely)
shock (unlikely since the sway bar apparently isn't attached to it on your car)

All those parts are pretty common used parts and with exception of the wheel bearing and the shock, everything is a pretty small fix for a mechanic. Bearing can be a hassle sometimes and the shock is just a bit more work. Nothing really serious.

The control Arm is quite easy to repair. Just Go to you nearest wrecker and get one for cheap. It's pretty easy to do it youself if you have the tools. Otherwise bring the parts to a local Mechanic and he could do it for a couple for hundreds. Ask him to also do an alignment job as well.

Op I had a similar accident happen on the day before christmas eve, I had to replace the control arm, swaybar link, the strut mount and suspension, and the engine undercarriage frame. Turns out if you can you should, the only one that I didn't feel like bothering with was the frame replacement plus some other minor things only drove the cost of repair (from bell tire of all places) to a little over a grand- the frame itself was only 900 or so. This included an alignment because I bought tires recently, got them to replace the tire/wheel for the damaged area.

Explain this logic

You can get a control arm off RA for $30, tie rod end for $5.

That setup causes oversteer in a FF.