Ancestor Miltary History

What were you Ancestors in? Did they achieve anything? The picture is mine and overall related towards the subject.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cudgel_War
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Got shot then bayonetted and left for dead on some civil war battlefield.

Turns out he wasn't dead though ayyyyy

Fought in the Wehrmacht from 1939 to 1945.

Was captured in Yugoslavia and beaten to death by guards while leading an escape from a PoW camp in November 1945.

My great grandfather went MIA in stalingrad

One of mine Ancestors was in Leningrad, He got this medal for the Defense.

Oh nice, thrse Russian medals look so awesome
It's interesting to think that they might've fought each other in this war and now we are talking on a Cambodian cave painting forum

My ancestor united western Europe through conquest.

My paternal grandfather was in Korea, but not on the frontline, he had a desk job. An aide to a colonel, IIRC. Unfortunately, I don't have it with me, as the effects are still with my grandmom, but the most interesting, or at least amusing part of his service were his discharge papers, which give a glowing recommendation of him.

Yeah, turns out that he was the one writing all the discharge papers, so he made himself out to be godlike in it. Apparently helped him get jobs after he got out of the army, nobody looked at it too closely.

Both of my Ancestors survived in the Great Patrotic war and one got a Medal "For the Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945(Orange and Black)" While another got a Medal "For Valiant Labour in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945"

They don't just call it WW2? Or does it only refer to the part where russia fought germany?

Just against Germany, Japan was just called the Soviet–Japanese War.

Grandfather hunted Jap war criminals in the islands from 45-46 and hung em.

Two Amer. Revolutionary war captains

One Canadian officer in WW1

Colonel in defense of atlanta. They lost.

Great great grand uncle served in the Preobrazhensky Regiment of the Lieb Guard of the white army, he lived into the 60's somehow...

Guessing he must have defected to the reds or something?

Great grandfather fought in the Somme, got awarded the DCM for killing a German in hand to hand and then rescuing an ally POW. Also got the croix de guerre for destroying an A7V with a hand grenade near the end of the war

Great Uncle was captured by the Japanese and forced to build the Burma Railway, ended up surviving despite being tortured

mongolian, persian, mughal, probably chinese, maybe some slavic types

kind of a stupid question

Great grandad fought in the Somme. Grandad (other side) was given some medals as a little boy by a passing soldier during the liberation. That's about it.

grandpa was an army engineer in korea
uncle was in the army and went to panama when the canal got turned over

that's all though. nothing too exciting

Great gramps served in the Imperial German Army and got his leg blown off during the Schlieffen Plan in Belgium

Same for me. In fact, most Austrian families have a member that went to Stalingrad and never came back. Might be due to the fact that the units fighting there had an above average amount of Austrians in them. Another great-grandfather was an aircraft mechanic in Italy, that must have been an ok post to have.

If you go further into recent history, most male members of my family were drafted at some point.

>Dad was a combat engineer
>Grandfather 1 was a rifleman
>Grandfather 2 had a different nationality, therefore avoiding the draft
>Uncle 1 played the clarinet in a military band
>Uncle 2 served in a ceremonial unit
>Great-Uncle 1 was a truck driver
>Great-Uncle 2 was a radio operator
>...

I'm a conscientious objector though, since I scored so low on those aptitude tests that I'd probably have to serve in some kitchen. If all you're going to do is clean, you might as well do it in a retirement home instead of an army barracks.

Interestingly enough, I once found an old black and white photograph of some man wearing an Austro-Hungarian uniform. But nobody could tell me who he was.

They were all guerrillas and irregulars. They didn't leave any artifacts and all I have to go on is oral tradition.

Grandad was an engineer in the allied navy.

Went and oversaw the allied occupation of Japan after the Hiroshima bombing.

Brother to grand dad fought in Kokoda, lost hearing in one ear, was severely wounded in the leg.

Great grand dad operated artillery

Great Grandpa was an Obersturmführer in the SS 40-44, probably killed a bunch of Serb Partisans.

Grandfather was in Operation Chrome Dome.

>nothing too exiting
Try actually being korean
>fight mongols
>fight japanese
>literally nothing for 500 years

>tfw ancestors were massacred for their religion
>tfw all I do is shit on religions all day
>tfw they died so I could live

Fuck. If I am to respect their sacrifices and fully appreciate what they've done, the least I can do is respect what they gave away their lives for.

Don't delude yourself, there haven been any religious wars since the Islamic Conquests. Nationalist wars are a different story.

Both of my Great Grandfathers fought WWI in the Italian Army.
One died, probably during one of the "Twelve Isonzo Battles", the other was sent on Mountain Grappa with the Alpini (soldiers prepared to fight in mountain scenarios) and, after years of resistance, he came home safe. He was nominated Cavalier of Vittorio Veneto (Italian King).

So you're not going to even acknowledge their sacrifices? Or give them any credence?

They fought, and bled, and died, for their countries. Not some religion. Religion wasn't a factor.

>religion wasn't a factor

You didn't read my post did you? Regardless. I'll stop with the hate on religions.

Bebbington is my Great, great Granddad. Then his son was in the RN in WW2,

>stationed on a ship
>slipped and broke his leg or something
>sent home
>the ship which was blown up shortly after
>I might've not existed if he didn't break his leg

My granddad on my dad's side fought in North Africa during WW2 and my Grandma was a codebreaker at Blechley park as well.

Get all the information you can out of your grandparents, before its too late

>Get all the information you can out of your grandparents, before its too late
This right here, if you're lucky enough to have still living familymembers. But not everyone has the same interests I guess so whatever

>Distant ancestors
Revolutionary War
American Civil War (Confederates)

Recent ancestors
WWI
>Patrilineal Great Grandfather

WWII
>Great Uncle (ETO, fought at Normandy, Utah Beach)
>Matrilineal Great Grandad (PTO, Naval intelligence)

>Korea
>Different Great Uncle (Naval logistics officer)
>Grandfather (Navy, Yeoman)

>Vietnam
Uncle (Navy FCT)
Grandfather (Yeoman)
Great Uncle (Naval logistics officer)
Different Great Uncle (Navy pilot)

>American Intervention in Libya (1986) a.k.a. Operation El Dorado Canyon
Dad (Navy Sonar Tech)
Great Uncle (Navy logistics officer, recently promoted to admiral)

>Gulf War
The Admiral

>OEF/OIF
Me

Grandpa joined the italian resistance at 14/15. this was after his brother had been killed fighting in the international brigades in spain and after his remaining family was executed in retribution for resistance activity

oh forget to mention, after he emigrated to the US he joined the marines and served in Vietnam though he doesn't talk about that all that much

At least one of my ancestors probably fought in a war a long time ago.

Mother's grandfather died in gallipoli
Father's grandfather died in Turkish War of Independance.

Both great grandfathers on my mother's side fought in WW1, one was an engineer in the American army and didn't see much combat, the other was in the 1st Canadian division 1914-1919

Another great uncle fought for America

I have their medals stored away, and some letters and other personal things from the war.

You mean your dad, right? Your grandfather would have been too old.

Great grandfather was a major in ww2 for new zealand in north Africa. He was in charge of setting up fake depots and airstrips for enemies to waste bombs on. He later got deathly ill and was sent home

My great uncle was involved in d-day

grandfather was supposedly a guerrilla fighter in the Philippines when the japs occupied it, i don't have any proof though other than family stories from my grandmother

> ancestors fought in war of 1812 and civil war
> still have his cavalry sword from ny volunteer regiment
> greatgrandfather fought in ww1 in france
> grandfather on my dad's side was in the navy, saw action at saipan and iwo jima
> grandfather on mother's side was in the 1st infantry division, fought in france in ww2
> two uncles in vietnam, though one ended up stateside for most of the war
> dad got lucky with draft, barely missed getting picked
> one cousin in the marines, the other in the army
have thought about joining for a long time, but my friends and family would look down upon me

My Grandpa met Buddy Holly in Vietnam
My other grandpa was shipped off to Korea, but the war ended when he was on the way

I think that's it for my family

I'm named after a man who was shot down over Italy in a B-17 before he could have any kids of his own.

I'm french
my great grandfather once shot a rocket launcher at 2 nazis carrying a cow in a truck

Lost an arm in the Battle of Honey Hill defending the railroad between Charleston and Savannah against Sherman's March.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War
>white side
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cudgel_War

>ywn have your own statue in your hometown
>ywn never have your own wikipedia page

My grandpa fought for the US in the pacific then went to Europe post D-Day.
>Americans had just reached Germany
>2 weeks before the Bulge
>Find Germsn town, not sure what to do
>Come under fire
>Most of his comrades die
>Him and his buddy in a foxhole
>Mortar hits the hole, friend is dead, gramps is barely alive
>Suddenly random US soldier appears
>Carries gramps out of combat while under fire
>Gramps gets both legs amputated
>Fiancée calls off wedding
>Never finds his rescuer
>My grandma was an Army nurse he met while recovering
>Was the happiest couple ever
>Said he prayed for his rescuer every night

I know my great gramps was a chaplain on the Hanko front during the continuation war, but he ended up deserting because he felt like marrying his wife, or something like that. (Never really got it on the clear).

Great great grandfather fought through and survived the Somme and at least one of the battles of Ypres.

Great grandfather was killed by artillery while landing in Italy in 1943. Another one served in Burma as a cook.
Great great uncle was captured by the Japanese at Singapore and survived imprisonment for the entire war (fucked him up big time, stabbed his girlfriend during a ptsd attack).

I have a relative who guarded Napoleon on St Helena.

My Grandfather designed laser guided bombs for the IDF and computer targetting systems for the tornado ground attack jets in the 1980s for the mod.

I have some blood from a minor noble family from Cornwall from the 11th century who were vassals to William the Conquerer (not sure if Anglo Saxon or norman), so they probably fought in wars.

top tier story lad

Shit nigger I'm OG Amerifat Soldier

>some dirt farmer in Virginia on the books for receiving pay from The Continental Congress during the Revolutionary War

>some crazed lawyer/congressman went full Confederate retard and died at Gettysburg (got a nice plaque there)

>some psycho edge lord was a WWI pilot and died testing planes in the early 1920s doing loop-de-loops and other crazy shit

>WW2 Marine

>WW2 Sailor

>Korean grunt

>Vietnam grunt

>Two yungins in JROTC

Holy fuck shit my family are American Centurions

WW I
Maternal great-great-grandfather and his brother fought at Verdun ( Imperial Heer)
Paternal great-great-grandfather was in KuK landsturm

WW II
Maternal grandfather's uncle and two of his cousins died fighting in Warsaw Uprising
Paternal grandfather was fighting in partisan unit of Bataliony Chłopskie (Peasant Battalions). He was denounced, arrested and sent to KL

Got quite a few military relatives that I might as well post.
Lets start with WW1
>One Great-grandfather was a sergeant in the London Scottish Regiment, he went over the top at the Somme and survived, eventually becoming an officer in the Royal Artillery. Attached is a pic of him just before the battle, with a postcard on the back. He's the one in the bottom left corner.
>Another Great-grandfather also fought in WW1, this time Mesopotamia, or 'Mespot' as he used to call it when he wrote home. During WW2 he was an officer in the home guard, think Captain Mainwaring from Dad's Army.
I don't have anything else to do for the evening so I think ill keep posting.

Right now onto WW2
>Grandfather was a Lieutenant-Commander in the Royal Navy. Head Engineer on various battleships throughout the war in the Atlantic. He was even torpedoed once.
I also had many great-uncles or did their service to country and empire, in the RAF, RN and Army. But i'll only go into detail of one of them for now.
>Captain Angus Mackenzie was second in command and captain of various ships throughout the war. The most notable stories include him firing the ships guns on approaching tanks at Dunkirk and also surviving the sinking of his ship by a mine, and meeting Eisenhower i think on D-day. Another great uncle fought in Burma but it was in the Korean war where he made his name.
>Grandmother was in the WRNS and helped with plotting of ships, her sister worked at Bletchley Park.

>what are the crusades
>what are the 16th cen. wars of religion
>what is the spanish inquisition
>what are pogroms
>what is the holocaust

I know you're going to counter by saying that all of those events happened for political purposes, and that religion was only ostensibly a motivation, and to a great extent you'd be right - but the same should also apply to the Islamic conquests. The early caliphate had a lot more to gain from rapid territorial expansion than new converts, and in the early centuries of Islam, proselytization was very gradual and mainly aimed towards social elites. If your high school history education was even remotely decent, you should also be aware of concepts like jizya and "people of the book". Not trying to shill for Islam, but it's a bit ridiculous to hold a nuanced interpretation of the Wars of Religion and the Crusades if you can't see the obvious, tangible economic and political gains made by the caliphate by conquest.

Great Uncle (maternal grandfather's brother) died in an blizzard in the northern himalayas while fighting the japs. He was drafted into the british army.

One of my cousins is in the Canadian Military (inb4, canada has a military?) as an officer

A distant second cousin is at west point.

One of my distant ancestors (great great grandfather on my father's side) fought against the british in the Siege of Delhi

For reference, I'm an Indian guy who currently lives in the United States and has relatives on almost every continent (except south america and Antarctica).

This is the final one for now I think but happy to answer any questions and i think i have some items to post if i can be bothered to.
The Korean War
>My great-uncle, who has been my hero growing up fought at the battle of the Imjin River with the 'Glorious Glosters' as they became known. He was a Major in charge of B company and fought ferociously throughout the engagement but was eventually captured. He then spent months in a Korean Prisoner of war camp. Not a nice place at all, especially as he was in solitary confinement for 6 months. He received the Distinguished Service Order which, for those of you who don't know British medals is the one just below the Victoria Cross.
I immensely proud to be in the same family as so many who fought so valiantly for their island home, but most of all im proud to be related to my uncle Denis

Grandpa (on mom's side) has a few medals from ww2. He was a private->sergeant in some crack regiment. Then when the war was over he became (more appropriately, his regiment was disbanded and he was transferred into the pseudo-military sections of the police) a policeman and served in the anti-riot and anti-terrorism regiments and won a couple medals more.
Grandpa (on dad's side) also served, but as a doctor, so he spent the whole war in a military hospital.
I know all four greatgrandpas served in ww1, but they didn't distinguish themselves beyond the partecipation medals.
Those are all I'm aware of. Surely there's more, every poster gotta have had a couple score soldiers in his ancestry if you go back enough.

my father got the queens diamond jubilee

My great-grandfather was in the Army in WW1 and the Navy in WW2, but he never saw combat since he was stationed in the US.

I'm sure some great-great-great-great uncles or something participated in the Civil War.

And I guess distant descent from minor Norman nobles who helped William the Conqueror

My great-grandfather on my mum's side was in the Merchant Navy in WW2.
I have a penknife he left to my grandfather, who left it to me - he took it with him to sea, and had it with him the whole war. Damn thing's been sunk by Nazis three times.

Paternal grandpa evaded the WW2 draft because he was a recruiter prior to the start of the war.

But maternal grandpa was in the navy, he drew comics for them apparently, stationed in Japan for a while in the late 40s post WW2 and met my grandmother in Onikawa. Got drafted into the Korean war once that started, got a purple heart and married my grandma, which was a big deal for a foreigner to marry someone from her small town, then went back to America.

My grandfather dropped atomic bombs in the Pacific on the USS Curtiss, George Patton was a somewhat distant cousin although not a direct ancestor.

My great uncle died in the St. Nazaire raid. My family has a military history dating back to the war of 1812. I'm next up I suppose.

3rd Battalion, 11th Mississippi Volunteer Infantry, Company K (Carroll County Rifles) reporting in.

I have one known ancestor on my dads side that fought for the confederacy.

We know a lot more about my moms side but they mostly did bumfuck nothing in the rice fields of Louisiana for 300 years

They didn't even defend New Orleans?

Welcome fellow wearers of the Grey.

I had around 30 direct and indirect ancestors who fought for the South. Only two survived though.

>>some crazed lawyer/congressman went full Confederate retard and died at Gettysburg (got a nice plaque there)

Was it William Barksdale by any chance?

Grandpa was POW in Austria from 1940-1941

I think I'm related to a warrior from the The Battle of Little Bighorn. I know for a fact my great grandpa fought in World War 2. Fun story he told me when I was young is when he was caught with his pants down by two Germans and while being unarmed he ended up capturing them.

one of my grandpas (British) fought in Africa as a tanker, my dad said he told him the war was a lot of fun actually

the other grandpa (Chinese) went out to get groceries and got stopped by this MP who forced him to "volunteer" for service during the Chinese civil war, he ended up having to go to Taiwan retreating while barefoot

My great great grandfather was killed at Passchendaele. My great grandfather fought in North Africa in WW2.

>mfw related to general trimble

Great grandfather was in the Mexican Revolution

Grandfather was in the Cuban Revolution

Father was a guerrilla in Nicaragua and Guatemala

Whole lot of PTSD in the family

And me... nothing but the Glorious Internet Revolution of 4 Chan

Yeah, my paw killed whole villages in Vietnam, he showed me pics of the ears. When they got bored they would catch and torture a village girl for fun. Then they'd let her go. That way the gooks would think she talked. Then whoever kills the chick is the next lead. Or not. They didn't really give a fuck.

His best story is buying dope from vietcong. Basically the entire cong operation was funded by soldier's pocket change. Often the platoon would pool ammo and sell that for a kilo and/or sexual favors.

Grandfather got shipped to Vietnam after he creamed granny's pussydoodle out of wedlock and fukin died what a skkrubbbb

how young are you?

>thingsthatneveractuallyhappened.jpg

My great uncle was in the RAF, he died during the war. my great grandfather shook hands with both churchill and hitler. My other great grandfather was in the Free French Forces and was part of the Dunkirk Evacuation.

My grandfather was on officer of GDR's people's army (NVA) and trained Vietnamese snipers during the Vietnam War. Thin is I could never verify this as it is not confirmed by the research I read. He doesn't have a reason to lie though. My cousin was trained to and finished 5th in the Olympics.

15 years old, but I'm mentally much older ;)

MODS

>Thin is I could never verify this as it is not confirmed by the research I read
Not too surprising actually. Realize that the Soviets never admitted actual troop involvement in Vietnam. Russia DID admit it after the fall of Soyuz, but they won't admit a concrete number (literally every time the annual Russian Vietnam Veteran Foundation meeting gets together the number grows) and neither will the Vietnamese. Iirc, right now the Russians are admitting to upwards of 3000 and the Vietnamese are admitting to in the ballpark of 10,000. American historians usually fall into the Liberal Realist camp to they don't talk about it because it sort of legitimizes American fears about Vietnam. I don't think we'll ever know the full COMBLOC involvement in Vietnam desu.

My Great GrandUncle was a Captain in the 6th Company 2th Brigade anti-treaty IRA was killed by dirty Freestaters tho