I'm having trouble getting the hang of heel/toe braking

I'm having trouble getting the hang of heel/toe braking.

I'm a 6'2" guy and i drive an '06 WRX. I feel like every time I try it I'm contorting my body to turn my foot enough to get both pedals. I've tried it in a friend's car which had a longer accelerator pedal that pivoted from the floor as apposed to hanging from the top. I could achieve it easy enough in his car but still fail to get in a good rhythm in mine.

I also feel like I'm losing fine control on the brake because I'm lifting my foot off the floor to blip the accelerator.

Am I validated in my struggle or am I just a scrub who should 'git gud'.

Pic related, my pedals.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how do you have 4 pedals?

>4 pedals

It's a foot rest my man.

I also have trouble doing it really consistently with the WRX pedal set up especially if I'm trying to double clutch from 4th to 2nd or something like that. I'd just get a new pedal set if you really want to be the baddest dude on the touge, you gotta go with what works for you.

>MFW my feet are big enough to heel toe with the left and right side of my right foot.
It helps that my car has good throttle response too. But I don't have to contort my foot like it is spaghetti to dagumi.

I'm having the same problem in my Miata, I drove a friend's classic car with the pedals miles apart and felt like Senna, but when I go back to the Miata, it's like I physically can't get my leg/foot in the right position.

Part of that is that I'm 6'3" in an NA Miata, but still.

Sounds like you should adjust your seating position so you can comfortably heel toe but make sure you still have a slight bend in your legs when you fully depressed the clutch pedal don't fully strech your leg out also if you have wide/big foot you can use the width of your foot to heel toe instead of twisting your foot

You are not alone.

I have driven stick for years, but have never felt comfortable using heel-toe on public roads. I understand the concept, but I feel like the benefits are lost during daily driving.

Yeah the slightly shitty throttle response on the WRX combined with a small dead spot at the top of my throttle make it a hassle. I'm constantly blipping and blipping again because I didn't hit the pedal hard enough.

Yeah that's generally where I sit. Unfortunately the pedals are just a little too far apart to hit both with a vertical foot placement.

Same, I'm just trying to prolong the life of my clutch, I think the previous owner was a bit of a dipshit who didn't care much about rev matching or long clutch life.

Where does the retardation with heel toeing on the internet come from? If you need to do it you will do it subconsciously and naturally. If you are out on the street consciously thinking and trying to do it you're doing it wrong.

Ah yes because every human driver is born with the natural skill to heel toe perfectly in any car without any practice also it's a valuable skill when you want slow down but want to stay in the car's powerband in case you need to keep moving an example would be going downhill with traffic in the way or accelerating out of corners as quickly as possible just because you can't do it you don't have to try putting people down for wanting to try

The pedal offset on my Testarossa makes it too hard to heel-toe :^)

Your post doesn't make any sense. If heel toeing is necessary in your car you will naturally learn how to do it over time

They are easy to heel toe, you can even triple heel toe when you become a pro like me

Try what I do. Put your big toe on your brake pedal and pivot your pinky toe around to hit the gas. Works best with a wide soled skate shoe. Kinda tricky in something like converse.

You might be overthinking it which makes it hard to focus on braking.
Start breaking with the left side of your foot, the brake should be higher than the throttle meaning the right side of said foot will touch the throttle later. when you have a decent amount of braking blip throttle.

> you don't twist your foot. Dagumi taught you wrong

Just clutch-brake heel-toe/ leftfoot brake. You have better control of the vehicle if you can leave the accelerator in one spot. Better times too.

German > jdm

Only Nippon rice rockets have the throttle hanging rather than being on the floor

I do it easily in an 11 wrx.
ball of your foot on the brake, flick the accelerator with the side of your heel/foot.

>am I just a scrub who should 'git gud'

yep

its a double-clutch transmission

big toe side on the brakes and the pinky side on the throttle

dual clutch tranny

Common misconception for heel toe you need to turn your foot horizontally to achieve it.

While what is actually more common is to put your foot on a slight angle, braking with your big toe (top left corner of your foot). Then to blip you rotate your foot at the ankle so your heel (bottom right corner of your foot) kicks the throttle. Sometimes you dont use the bottom of your heel but the right side of it (depending on pedal setup).

You don't need large amounts of your foot on each pedal to make inputs. And smoothness will just come from practice and timing.

Try to watch videos showing the pedalboxes of rally/gt drivers to get an idea of foot positioning/technique.

That's the same shape/size setup as my 1999-2004 mustang gt in america.

heel toe to get you to the correct rpm on the streets would be literally standing on the brakes for 5-10% throttle based on that image and what I think you are claiming. You aren't heel toeing to an intersection.

why are there only four pedals if there are six directions?

It's set up for indycar racing. You don't need right or reverse.

dear god...

*attention* all those without "jap spec feet"

youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU

Watch this video of Senna in a NA1 NSX around Suzuka east. Specifically look at his foot-work.

I've got size 13 and I find I cant rotate my ankle for shit, I'd thought been "cheating" at heel-toe but turns out its mad legit. If its good enough for aryton senna, its good enough for me.

pic unrelated

heel-toe'ing to red lights (that are soon to turn green) is one of the most ideal examples of "proper" heel-toe application on the street. Other than off ramps or any where else you get a change in speed.

You're at 1500rpm in 2nd and the light turns green, just throttle in and take away

pic related, dat feel for heel-toeing while coming off a highway exit and the light turns green and you don't have to stop