Invent gunpowder

>Invent gunpowder.
>Invent coins.
>Discover bronze, silk, and character writing before anyone else.
>Build the world's largest wall, largest ships, and field genius generals.
>Have an army numbering in the hundreds of thousands, even millions, for most of history.
Why exactly didn't China take over the world, or even some of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

patheos.com/blogs/wakeupcall/2013/10/falungong/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilgour–Matas_report
youtube.com/watch?v=2yQjGZ482l8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodia–United_States_relations
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Apart from regional imperialism they were too inert.

Oceans, the talles mountains in the world, deserts, etc.

because most of your assumptions are wrong and based on history channel bullshit.

And inventing something doesn't mean you have an advantage forever.

Autistic as fuck

If it wasn't happening in their corner of the world they didn't give a fuck.

Even if they had the means to colonize other faraway nations, they didn't see the point as trading accomplished the same thing without expensive military campaigns.

Shit choice in retrospect.

Japan was clearly more reasonable but then again they had plenty of examples by the time they needed to decide.

>Why exactly didn't China take over the world

They will, give it 60 years.

Just like Japan did

>Create big-ass state.
>Make big-ass state centralized.
>Your products ensure trade comes to you,
>Endpoint of major trade routes.
>Land held is sustainable to population.
Its only now that China is overpopulated.

In addition: geography
>Be premodern state.
>North of China: Nothing. Poor soil for farming. Permafrost.
>West of China: Deserts & Mountains
>South of China: Hey that's actually nice, let's expand there.
>East of China: Couple of Islands n shit. Resources acquirable by gullible locals fond of shiny things.

This coupled with the fact that chinese armies never enjoyed an insurmountable advantage in technology compared to their neighbors. At least not one as wide as 17th,18th and 19th century Europe had to africa and India.

China is a country of over a billion people. Today, millions of Chinamen are going from the countryside into the cities, causing the Chinese to build whole new cities and expand the old ones; this has gone so far they are now pretty much manufacturing skyscrapers and putting the pieces (whole floors) on-site. They also ended the one child policy so expect the numbers to increase even more. They are definitely not the closed-in country they were even just a few decades ago.

China has 11 times the population of Japan. I'm pretty sure 11 Japans could take over the world.

>chinese armies never enjoyed an insurmountable advantage in technology compared to their neighbors
...it did.

Tech & numbers even. If anything the region caught up to China by the 1000s, and that's just the continental Asians. Not the Japs, which one could say caught up with China in the 1500s in terms of military tech, even then they had their retardations (zero artillery, shit-tier naval forces).
> At least not one as wide as 17th,18th and 19th century Europe had to africa
Literally what happened in Southern China. Chinks went on Safari in the jungles and mountains of Southern China versus oogabooga Austronesian tribes to alleviate overpopulation in Northern China during the Han-T'ang Dynasties.

I thought the Phoenicians invented coins.

And the Chinese took over a chunk of the world roughly the size of Europe. That was pretty much all their communications and government could sustain, and given some of the enormous revolts the various dynasties faced, even that was a struggle.

>it did
No it didn't. Matchlock firearms aren't an insurmountable advantage over bows, swords and spears, neither are numbers.

It's when half a dozen ships can roll into a bay and singlehandedly destroy an entire fleet or two that you're in easy mode.

The Imperial Armies of China reached the million mark only by the 1500s onwards, under the Ming and Qing.

They like their own country. Not everybody thinks there's a point in "conquering the world".

>It's when half a dozen ships can roll into a bay and singlehandedly destroy an entire fleet or two that you're in easy mode.
Oh, you mean this?

You did mention 17th Century Europe, which was a time when Europe did not hold all the cards in the world.

>you mean this?
No

And I mentioned 3 centuries.

Because it was a very insular society, not as much as Japan but when you have Muslims in the west, asshole raider all along the north and a fuckload of ethnic minorities everywhere else that aren't particularly loyal it becomes more of a burden to expand

And you claimed Euronigs had an insurmountable advantage in all three.

>when you have Muslims in the east, asshole raider all along the north and a fuckload of ethnic minorities everywhere else that aren't particularly loyal it becomes more of a burden to expand

All i did was better represent the location of muslums and now it's Europe and it didn't stop them.

China is a extremely large country.

They took as much as they could and kept it for a very long time.

Give them a decade or two and they will have more power then the us.

That makes me wonder, are there any historical event where two very large and powerfull rivals clashed?

yo China, what kinda neighbors you want

It was more of a rise to apogee thing but I get how a retard desperately wanting to be right about done thing would find a technicality to be right about since he has nothing else going on right now.

Yes user, you're right, I was wrong about Europe having an insurmountable advantage in the 17th century and I did technically imply that, good job.

Too many natural barriers to really project force outside of China. Also, even today, it's a struggle just to maintain order among the diverse ethnicities, national identities, religions and political factions within their borders.

>They also ended the one child policy so expect the numbers to increase even more.
Statistics show that this has done very little and their trend towards population decline is essentially irreversible.

>Give them a decade or two and they will have more power then the us.
I really hate how people come on the internet to gloat about how a despotic, human rights violating regime is going to surpass the USA as if that were a good thing.

You realize they're total asshats, right?

Once China's unsustainable economic policies end with an economic collapse, China will immediately suffer a political collapse, fracturing the country.

The CCP literally hires people to go on the internet and post nice things about China.

>That makes me wonder, are there any historical event where two very large and powerfull rivals clashed?
Yeah, like, there're a lot of them.
>Persian-Roman wars
>Seven Years' War
>Napoleonic Wars
>World War I
>World War II

Oh shit, you got me. It's the gulag for me now, for sure.

But seriously, China is far from the third world place it used to be under Mao.

Which is why they're perfectly happy to eat their lovely meals of gutter oil with rice, truly a cultured society

Falun Gong

They're still just as petty, scapegoating, abusive and criminally uncaring as every other regime that answers only to itself, they just have a lot of money now.

I don't think you understand how wide the European gap in tech was during 1800 to the start of 1900.
Once you could field a army backed by artillery strong enough to destroy almost any non modern fortification, combined with machine guns and better ships?
Or railroads to allow for extreme control of land?

There is a reason a few Euro states almost took over the entire world during the later half of 1800.

When China looked out of the world, their technology was insufficiant to actually travel it. They still had to fight army v army, instead of literally literal artillery bombardment to skew the advantage.

1700 was the time Europa started fielding mass artillery. And sailing ships had improved enough to actually bypass the need for the Silk Road, to a point.
It was also the point where some of the New World empires had the economy to do massive expansions in terms of trading fleets.

>was the time Europa started fielding mass artillery.
Yes user STARTED. But you see that doesn't technically make them all insurmountably strong, especially to their neighbors, so you're wrong.

>or even some of it?

They did. It's called China and its pretty fucking large.

The Falun Gong are persecuted because they are literally insane.

patheos.com/blogs/wakeupcall/2013/10/falungong/

Falun Gong was a state sponsored religion not long ago, but they decided to cut off all ties with the CCP for some reason. Add to that they are a semi apocalyptic cult like spiritual group and that they shun medicine as being "unnatural" it's no wonder why the CCP doesn't like they that much. They are the Scientology of China.

> western scientology
> literally infiltrates the us government and verifiably spies on it
> fails to get any meaningful dirt
> USA: lol whatevs, freedom of religion

> Falun gong
> They're a little nutty and cut political ties
> CCP: ...yeah you're done

Truly the enlightened leaders of the new millennium and the liberators from Western fascism we've all been waiting for.

America has groups like that too, you know what the government does to them? Fucking nothing.

I can't wait for liberals to shift their attention from white men to East Asian men. Somehow you can only get respect in in America nowadays if you complain about your situation and refuse to adapt or improve your conditions.

>Invent coins
>The first coins were developed independently in Iron Age Anatolia and Archaic Greece, India and China around the 7th and 6th centuries BCE.

Yes, right around the time a lot of other people did as well.
>Discover bronze

>The earliest tin-alloy bronze dates to 4500 BCE in a Vinča culture site in Pločnik (Serbia).
> The earliest bronze artifacts [in China] have been found in the Majiayao culture site (between 3100 and 2700 BC)

Not even close on that one

>character writing

The oldest chinese writing that we know is writing is from 1200 BC. Because of how developed that writing system is it is very likely that is had been around for a good amount of time before that. The older things from the 6th and 5th century BC that some people have called writing... well signs are pointing to them not being a system of writing per-say.

Remove steppe niggers, 1758 best year of my life.

Oh, thank you, for a moment I almost felt sorry for the two or three Falun Gong who died per organ transplant.

Fuck you.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilgour–Matas_report

>constantly riven by internal revolts, rebellions, and general unrest

Any day now guys, China is gonna start its thousand year empire!

They didn't invent metal currency, they didn't discover bronze, that was the Sumerians, the various persian empires had similar manpower, their generals werent that much better than anyone else's, sun tzu wasn't great he just wrote it all down, again, the Persians were fucking dank and doing cool shit around the same time. Sumer and Egypt both have claims to the first written language. they had gun powder since the 9th century but did fuck all with it, really, it was once it got into European and Arab hands that it became really effective.

Also the mongols fucked up their wall.

The fuck are you trying to prove by posting that?

It was the Phoenicians that invented metal currency, by the way.

>bigger than Europe and US by landmass
>why didn't they take over the world

Yeah, in Chinese on Chinese sites. You think CCP gives a shit what foreigners think?

Persia vs. ERE
Persia vs. Macedonia
France vs. Prussia
France vs. Great Britain
Spain vs. France

>You think CCP gives a shit what foreigners think?

I think they care about international public opinion, yes.

>Yeah, in Chinese on Chinese sites.
How the fuck do you know what they limit themselves to?

>international public opinion
>Veeky Forums
kek

Implying USA is neither despotic nor human rights violating. You know the past five decades at least notwithstanding

...you realize Veeky Forums is mainstream as fuck and gets tons of traffic. ...right?

They're nowhere near as bad and most of their transgressions are at least arguable.

>muh 50 cent boogeyman
You really think the CCP would shill on Veeky Forums?

Yes

Nice trips. Although I don't think trying to change the minds of opinionated young white males is going to do anything, least of all when most of you are potential adversaries in any future conflict.

Axis vs Allies

If China cared about international opinion they wouldn't go pissing off literally every single one of their neighbors (other than the -stan countries) over islands

>Chinese people poor enough to take a job shitposting on the internet know English

We do it for free kek

BUT HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THE 5 YEAR PLAN??!!?

youtube.com/watch?v=2yQjGZ482l8

[spoiler]protip: warm water is good for the healthy[/spoiler]

They created a big-ass empire fairly early. The Han Empire was almost as big and popolous as the Roman Empire in it's prime. Then, for centuries they had their hands full with keeping it together. They were still able to annex some more territories, but they didn't really have to, the area around central and eastern China is quite useless, it's mostly just mountains and deserts, no real reason to try to annex that. They also couldn't annex anything beyond those, like India, imagine the logistics of moving an army back through the Himalayas.

pure autism

Chiba didn't invent half of that shit yo dumbass

They lived near shithead nomads who would periodically reck them.

Mostly culture though, they believed they were the only country on earth and master of the world.

>We do it for free kek
So, you admit you're shilling.

Because there was a shit ton of warfare within China of everyone trying to rule everybody. Mandate of heaven. They just kept killing each other until Confucius which turned them into beta little bitches that had no desire to expand

>le china was so le advanced and could've conquered le world
t. chinaboo

They were introverted, seeing themselves as the literal centre of the world. They didnt want to expand into the extremities because they believed that the further they got from China the more barbarous it got.

>bigger than Europe and US by landmass

>My human rights violations are not as bad as your human rights violations
lmao

>They were introverted, seeing themselves as the literal centre of the world

That was autism, they should thank the Japs for fucked them enough that it cured their autism .

Serious, 50 cent Chinese are flooed this cartoon board recently. Those chink threads everyday. We need a solution for this shit.

They weren't.

Elaborate.

>did not invent bronze
>did not build the worlds largest ship
>did not invent pictographs
>DID NOT HAVE MILLIONS OF TROOPS AT THIER DISPOSAL

please cure your autism

Or have eleven lost decades.

>DID NOT HAVE MILLIONS OF TROOPS AT THIER DISPOSAL
They probably did on paper so the civil servants could swipe some pay rolls and not get caught, corruption is a proud Chinese tradition

Sino-Japanese War

That the Chinese are Devils.

>Guantanomo bay
>Abu Gureeb prison
>Bay of Pigs
>"Liberation" of Libya
>Iraq "Were da WMD's at?"
>My Lai Massacre
>Vietnam agent orange
>supporting the Khmer Rouge
>supporting Nicaraguan Contras
>waterboarding
lmao

>supporting the Khmer Rouge
But the Khmer Rouge was aligned with China, it's why USSR backed Vietnam kicked the shit out of them after the war

>>Abu Gureeb prison
I heard that Chinese prisoners have their organs removed and sell in black markets after they got executed.

In general I think that Scientology should be banned in America. The religion and cult is way too cultish and demanding of it's adherents. It espouses ideas that hurt it's adherents and uses violence to keep the followers in the "religion"

Anyway, many countries that are more "freer", and I use that word with reluctance, have banned Scientology because it simply is bad. A cult that has to coerce people into joining, drains them of all their money claiming to be spiritual, and straight up lies to the people should not be allowed to practice their religion because by then, it is simply not a religion. It's a business masked up as a religion.

This applies to you too, I'm not defending China's banning of the Falun Gong, though I would love to see everything I hate being banned, I do assume there are some people who think otherwise (even though they are wrong). The reason why I dislike the Falun Gong is that they're the opposite of "freedom" because their tenets simply go against the whole idea of democracy. They are an apocalyptic cult based on the idea of the god figure and the end times. Heck, a lot of their principles openly advocate for the killing of gays and other people like that. And like Scientology they are based like a cult too, followers who dissent are excommunicated from their families and subject to harassment from the higher ups.

And yes, America does have groups like that. However, they are small and generally useless or hold enough power to stop the government, like Scientology. Cults that get too powerful or too dangerous generally get shut down.

And the US condemned Vietnam for fucking up the Khmer Rouge

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodia–United_States_relations

They were still mad about that war they totally didn't lose

I never defended the forced organ transplanting of Falun Gong practitioners. I think those are reprehensible and should be stopped, like any normal person should think. I only said that Falun Gong was a cult and it shouldn't surprise anyone that they go banned.

>Invent coins

Coins were adopted indipendently by Lydians and Greeks around 600 bc

The 50 Cent Brigade would never post on Veeky Forums, we don't even know about this place

I did an internship where some Chinese students came from a pretty prestigious university in Shanghai to study at my school for a month and tour the country. I was in a lecture with them and the professor mentioned Falun Gong in passing and the chaperones that came with the students went ape shit. They started yelling "fuck Americans" and arguing with the teacher just because he said those words. Was really funny to watch. I never knew it was such a touchy subject over there.

China already had a pretty huge empire with a massive population, they really couldn't expand much and still control their existing territory.

Rome had it easier because of the Mediterranean and lots of rivers in Europe

and besides, China DID expand into lots of nearby regions, like Vietnam/SE asia

The Chinese always play for the late game. When the European and American teams kill themselves off, they'll move in and take over everything.

I'm tired of this bullshit meme.

If China was going to collapse, it would have done so during the cultural revolution when millions of people are starving.

China is less likely to revolt because of a economic depression than the United States is.

And look, if China goes down, so does the US.

But it did collapse during the cultural revolution, I mean having 50 million people die and erasing your entire culture because some German kike said so is the definition of collapse.

>And look, if China goes down, so does the US.

It works the other way around too, actually even more so.

Mao stayed in power until he died so I wouldn't say it collapsed.

>they'll move in and take over everything.

No, they will turn to their own people, killed each other, like what they did for 2000 years of history , civil war - self detruction - gets occupied by foreign invaders.

China collapsed, Mao did not.

Sure as hell isn't as bad as China lmao.

But the poster I replied to said, the economy would collapse and then there would be a political collapse.

The communist government in China was not overthrown when 50 million people died, so that makes me have the hunch they will not over throw their government when there is 50 million unemployed.