Was Verdun the closest we've had to hell on Earth?

Was Verdun the closest we've had to hell on Earth?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48
youtube.com/watch?v=sbSCLxyPQcs
youtube.com/watch?v=bwDrHqNZ9lo
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Greece
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leningrad#Cannibalism
youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4sxLgiAGA
dailywire.com/news/3524/after-conservative-speech-rutgers-holds-group-james-barrett
faculty.uml.edu/ethan_Spanier/Teaching/documents/CP6.0AssyrianTorture.pdf
paulbogdanor.com/left/cannibalism.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Passchendaele always seemed worse to me
Imagine dying in mud surrounded by Canadians

Stalingrad I think desu, but Verdun has a better argument in that it lasted longer

Leningrad

That image makes me unreasonably angry.

I've got a hunch it's a troll account intended to do just that.

Poe's law

could it be the hashtag #womyn

youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48

Probably

>The concentration of so much fighting in such a small area devastated the land, resulting in miserable conditions for troops on both sides. Rain, combined with the constant tearing up of the ground, turned the clay of the area to a wasteland of mud full of human remains. Shell craters became filled with a liquid ooze, becoming so slippery that troops who fell into them or took cover in them could drown. Forests were reduced to tangled piles of wood by constant artillery-fire and eventually obliterated.[87]
>The effect on soldiers in the battle was devastating and many broke down with shell shock.

>A French lieutenant at Verdun, who would be killed by a shell, wrote in his diary on 23 May 1916, "Humanity is mad. It must be mad to do what it is doing. What a massacre! What scenes of horror and carnage! I cannot find words to translate my impressions. Hell cannot be so terrible. Men are mad!"[110]

Sounds pretty bad

ELI5?

no, it is the balkans

Verdun had mud too but the part with the Canadians is pretty scary
You win

Is Slovenia that bad?

No it's nice enough, so is Greece. In fact calling Greeks "Balkans" is one way to make them fucking mad.

why would being surrounded by canadians be bad?

yes, it's truly awful here, pls send food, will sell my gf for a bottle of schnapps

>took part in both Balkan Wars
>not in the Balkans

I never knew Turkey was in the Balkans

>didn't take part in the world wars
>part of the world

swedes confirmed for ayyliens

Well

They're not *anymore*

kek

you have never been to greece right ?

corrupt, lazy, uneducated, racist, ugly
, arrogant and delusional about their history (we wuz so we are) dishonest about their current staus in the world

greece is no better than any other shithole in this part of the world

don't you know?
nobody is part of balkans
youtube.com/watch?v=sbSCLxyPQcs
youtube.com/watch?v=bwDrHqNZ9lo

bit rude

greek here, can confirm although many people here do consider ourselves as Balkan, maybe thanks to the post-ottoman club we share membership in

I've been to many places in the world, but I doubt I could live anywhere other than here. The weather itself and the beaches are good enough to elevate it above any country of western europe and most of the US. Only other country I could live in would be Italy tbqh.

If only our economy was a bit better and our unemployment wasn't so high, then nobody would ever leave this country. Summer holiday is literally paradise, despite everything else.

>t.ahmet

bit honest

I have been to greece so I know what I am talking about.

Just a well educated and rich w european white atheist.

Greece is EU's Somalia.

Stop being a butthurt hoplite, greece is a shithole no matter where you look.

šnopc prosim te

t. been to this one hostel in Athens for 3 days #roughtravels #lifetimeexperiences

>bitch about Greeks being "racist"
>while being racist yourself

I never understood this logic. "YOU SMELLY, INBRED, SHITSKINNED, HOOKNOSED, MUDBLOODED RACISTS!"

kys subhuman

You albanians make me laugh with your pathetic attemps of trolling

3 months backpacking you lil shit.

I met locals have been to small villages.

Beautiful country, shitty people shitty state.

Just face it you are no better than turkey or other balkan shitholes.

keep comin at me with your strawmans they are kinda cute

maybe it's because you're a negro

Not him, but your statements are so vague and unsubstantiated that they might as well be nationalist propaganda from a Greek-hating country. You sound like some German minister talking about le lazy Greeks or a Turk that hates Greeks because history.

Generalizations are pretty much the worst tool you can use in rational discussion to defend your claims and that's why everyone keeps finding vulnerabilities in your arguments to ridicule you.

Can confirm this. I've been to shitty little Thessalian villages and I thought I'm in fucking Afghanistan.

>roads not even paved
>bombed out shitty stone houses
>donkeys roaming about
>poor ass backwards peasants wearing the same shit they did 100 years ago

haha comming from a greek who is as black as a congo nigger.

Oh I enjoy being a white rich educated european even more when I hear you lil shits cry over obvious facts.

you cant handle money
you do not fight corruption
your education is shit
your youth is running away from your shithole
your women are ugly
you haven't been important for about 1500 years.

just relax and accept that you suck

It's bait

No feminists say "womyn" these days

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Greece

oh shit he got them facts lets keep going ad hominem our only chance

I am also easily triggered by feminism. Why is it so?

DISCLAIMER:

I am a Veeky Forums loyalist and don't have a /pol/ bone in my body.

All normal, non-brainraped people get triggered by feminism, not just /pol/acks.

>why would being surrounded by canadians be bad?

These people know why.

okay... and?

This is literally something someone from /int/ would link to banter Greece and claim their own country is stronk in comparison, most likely diaspora in western europe or turkey mainlanders. If you think this is what substantiating an argument means, then you need to take your pills, or go back to /int/ or /pol/, where such arguments belong, as was my original point.

>Was Verdun the closest we've had to hell on Earth?
>Leningrad
Yeah Verdun was ugly but people dropping dead in the streets and being eaten is pretty fucked up yo.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leningrad#Cannibalism

>By December 1942, the NKVD arrested 2,105 cannibals dividing them into two legal categories: corpse-eating (trupoyedstvo) and person-eating (lyudoyedstvo).

>Dimitri Lazarev, a diarist during the worst moments in the Leningrad siege, recalls his daughter and niece reciting a terrifying nursery rhyme adapted from a pre-war song:

A dystrophic walked along
With a dull look
In a basket he carried a corpse's arse.
I'm having human flesh for lunch,
This piece will do!
Ugh, hungry sorrow!
And for supper, clearly
I'll need a little baby.
I'll take the neighbours',
Steal him out of his cradle.[66]

Perhaps there might have been conflicts in Africa that were worse, but weren't as thoroughly documented as European conflicts?

>you

but I'm a poor, wretched slovenian

pls send food

>that Zizek video
Hot damn that made me laugh more than it should have.

Its no joke, i had to cross the river today, nearly got killed. The dark folk screamed what mustve been obscenities at me then chucked some spears and vodka bottles. Barely got out alive. Pls send food though.

they bleed maple syrup enough of which would have formed pools during the battle whose stickiness led many to get caught and drown or be boiled candied in molten syrup heated by bombshells

they are. eastern thrace is in the balkans and its whats left of what they had prior to the war

the first video i wanted to post was this
youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4sxLgiAGA
but somehow i fucked up

i tip my hat to your, sir. impressive pedigree

What the fuck

>being so cucked by Veeky Forums libcucks and redditors you have to post a disclaimer about /pol/

I'm out of here.

Canadians have a tradition of eating their recently dead. It's illegal in Canada now but they still do it in some places on the prairies.

I believe the practice is called "quis sem" and it originated in Labrador when during the cold winter when supplies were low they would ration by eating their dead.

The whole mongol rapetrain especially the siege and slaughter of choresmia

Rutgers University. Those poor souls had the trauma of hearing opinions that disagreed with them.

dailywire.com/news/3524/after-conservative-speech-rutgers-holds-group-james-barrett

Talking seriously now, wouldn't Cannae be pretty bad? Or maybe some Medieval siege involving the Mongols?

thirty years war

Close tie with unit 731, Stalingrad and Kolyma camps.

French Canucks are fucking faggots though

This tbqh

Those poor children. How well they deal with life when they leave college

The few boards which at least try to have discussions that are somewhat based on facts tend to be anti/pol/.

It is only natural.

Yes, we're surrounded by barbarians and their prime minister is a cuck.

>Death Frenchies and Huns
Didn't you meant to say Paradise with capital P?

Wouldn't the carnage at Cannae be typical for the warfare of the era? Terrible of course but the battles of WW1 are worse since that kind of warfare wasn't seen before on a global scale. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

They either stay in academia or an expensive liberal city like Seattle. Those are their only choices if they don't plan on joining the rest of society.

>the last thing you hear is non stop "eh?" chanting
Pretty fucking terrible way to die.

Pelilu. Over 2,500 dead people per square mile.

Yes, but just imagine getting surrounded and then slowly massacred as you're pushed and push back against your own guys?

1st, fuck off reddit.
2nd, google exists.
3rd, fuck off reddit

Too small scale to be a contender

He didn't explain that good.

>bodies literally left to rot in the sun because can't dig graves
>stench is so bad it can be smelt several miles away
>incredibly hot
>so many flies there's an audible buzz at all times

>Verdun
nice meme

Lets try for real this time. I'll make several posts, each with a different subject. This series is about the Neo-Assyrian Empire. The hell here is that which they inflict.

In one case when a city resisted as long as possible instead of immediately submitting, Ashurnasirpal proudly records his punishment: “I flayed as many nobles as had rebelled against me [and] draped their skins over the pile [of corpses]; some I spread out within the pile, some I erected on stakes upon the pile … I flayed many right through my land [and] draped their skins over the walls.”

The account was probably intended not only to describe what had happened, but also to frighten anyone who might dare to resist. To suppress his enemies was the king’s divine task. Supported by the gods, he always had to be victorious in battle and to punish disobedient people:

“I felled 50 of their fighting men with the sword, burnt 200 captives from them, [and] defeated in a battle on the plain 332 troops. … With their blood I dyed the mountain red like red wool, [and] the rest of them the ravines [and] torrents of the mountain swallowed. I carried off captives [and] possessions from them. I cut off the heads of their fighters [and] built [therewith] a tower before their city. I burnt their adolescent boys [and] girls.” †
A description of another conquest is even worse:
“In strife and conflict I besieged [and] conquered the city. I felled 3,000 of their fighting
men with the sword … I captured many troops alive: I cut off of some their arms [and]
hands; I cut off of others their noses, ears, [and] extremities. I gouged out the eyes of
many troops. I made one pile of the living [and] one of heads. I hung their heads on trees
around the city.”

1/3

From the reign of Shalmaneser III, Ashurnasirpal II’s son, we also have some bronze bands that decorated a massive pair of wooden gates of a temple (and possibly a palace) at Balawat, near modern Mosul. These bronze bands display unusually fine examples of bronze repoussé (a relief created by hammering on the opposite side). In a detail, we see an Assyrian soldier grasping the hand and arm of a captured enemy whose other hand and both feet have already been cut off. Dismembered hands and feet fly through the scene. Severed enemy heads
hang from the conquered city’s walls. Another captive is impaled on a stake, his hands and feet already having been cut off. In another detail, we see three stakes, each driven through eight severed heads, set up outside the
conquered city. A third detail shows a row of impaled captives lined up on stakes set up on a hill outside the captured city. In an inscription from Shalmaneser III’s father, Ashurnasirpal II, the latter tells us, “I captured soldiers alive [and] erected [them] on stakes before their cities.”
Salmaneser III’s written records supplement his pictorial archive: “I filled the wide plain with the corpses of his warriors…. These [rebels] I impaled on stakes. † …A pyramid (pillar) of heads I erected in front of the city.”

In the eighth century B.C., Tiglath-pileser III held center stage. Of one city he conquered, he says: “Nabû-ushabshi, their king, I hung up in front of the gate of his city on a stake. His land,
his wife, his sons, his daughters, his property, the treasure of his palace, I carried off. BitAmukâni I trampled down like a threshing (sledge). All of its people, (and) its goods, I
took to Assyria.”

2/3 (Sorry if there is bad formatting. I'm copying this from a secondary source pdf and it doesn't work particularly well)

They somehow take the blame but never surrender

Sargon’s son and successor, Sennacherib, again moved the Assyrian capital, this time to Nineveh, where he built his own palace. According to the excavator of Nineveh, Austen Henry Layard, the reliefs in Sennacherib’s palace, if lined up in a row, would stretch almost two miles. If anything, Sennacherib surpassed his predecessors in the grisly detail of his descriptions:
“I cut their throats like lambs. I cut off their precious lives (as one cuts) a string. Like the
many waters of a storm, I made (the contents of) their gullets and entrails run down upon
the wide earth. My prancing steeds harnessed for my riding, plunged into the streams of
their blood as (into) a river. The wheels of my war chariot, which brings low the wicked
and the evil, were bespattered with blood and filth. With the bodies of their warriors I filled the plain, like grass. (Their) testicles I cut off, and tore out their privates like the seeds of cucumbers.”

Sennacherib was murdered by his own sons. Another son, Esarhaddon, became his successor. As the following examples show, Esarhaddon treated his enemies just as his father and grandfather had treated theirs: “Like a fish I caught him up out of the sea and cut off his head,” he said of the king of Sidon; “Their blood, like a broken dam, I caused to flow down the mountain gullies”; and “I hung the heads of Sanduarri [king of the cities of Kundi and Sizu] and Abdi-milkutti [king of Sidon] on the shoulders of their nobles and with singing and music

Shit looks like its a 4 parter

3/4

I paraded through the public square of Nineveh. Ashurbanipal, Esarhaddon’s son, boasted:
“Their dismembered bodies I fed to the dogs, swine, wolves, and eagles, to the birds of
heaven and the fish in the deep…. What was left of the feast of the dogs and swine, of their members which blocked the streets and filled the squares, I ordered them to remove from Babylon, Kutha and Sippar, and to cast them upon heaps.” When Ashurbanipal didn’t kill his captives he “pierced the lips (and) took them to Assyria as a spectacle for the people of my land.”

The enemy to the southeast of Assyria, the people of Elam, underwent a special punishment that did not spare even their dead: “The sepulchers of their earlier and later kings, who did not fear Assur and Ishtar, my lords, (and who) had plagued the kings, my fathers, I destroyed, I devastated, I exposed to the sun. Their bones (members) I carried off to Assyria. I laid restlessness upon their shades. I deprived them of food-offerings and libations of water.”

faculty.uml.edu/ethan_Spanier/Teaching/documents/CP6.0AssyrianTorture.pdf

4/4

Famine of 1921-22 in the USSR

Thousands of villages were abandoned by their wretched inhabitants, who went scavenging for food wherever they could hope to find it. They survived on grass, clumps of earth, domestic animals... and even human flesh. Dessonnaz later wrote that hundreds of thousands of children looked more like living corpses, and went on to reflect: “ It seems to me that the cause of our inertia is the fact that all these horrors are happening ‘somewhere else’, far away. The cries and pleas of the starving don’t reach European ears and yet these voices are there… they are still ringing in my ears..."

Famine of 1932-33 in the USSR

In the midst of this unfettered industrialization and collectivization drive. Red Brigades, consisting of misled Komsomol youth, raided the villages and collected all the grain accumulated by the peasants for their own use and for seed grain for the following year. After such raids nothing remained in the villages and famine spread through the whole region like pestilence. Hungry peasants tried to stay alive by eating grass, straw, and their draft animals. Then came the dogs and cats, and finally, in some instances, even the children of the village. Some peasants, driven by hunger, fell into temporary insanity and began to feed on
the dead bodies of their own and their neighbor's children.^ This cannibalism reached a point where the Soviet government—instead of stopping the mad exportation of grain—began to print posters with the following warning: "To eat your own children is a barbarian act."

1/2

One of the most disgusting aspects of the system of Soviet slave labor camps, and of the artificially induced mass famine, was the
presence of" cannibalism that manifested itself in a number of ways. Anne Appiebaum, the author of the recent major synthesis of the
evolution ofthe Soviet Gulag, mentions a number of such phenomena. As an example, in May 1933, 6,114 peasants were being deported to the
uninhabited Nazino Island of the Ob River, beyond the Artie Circle, where they were deposited without any food. On the very first day of their arrival 295 of them died. Three months later, when a party functionary visited the island to examine the situation, he was forced to
report that of the original six thousand only about one-third were still alive, but only because they lived off the flesh of their deceased
comrades. According to one of the Gulag-inmates, who encountered several of the former Nazino-inhabitants in a prison at Tomsk, the former "settlers" of Nazino appeared to him like "walking corpses. They were imprisoned at Tomsk for their cannibalistic activities, even though it was cannibalism that had kept them alive while on Nazino.

Looks like its another four parter. I am not good at estimating these sorts of things.

2/4

Appiebaum also describes the most common method of escape attempts from the various slave labor camps in Siberia, both in her book and in a relevant documentary film. Those who planned such escapes were generally common criminals, who, prior to their departure, enlisted a willing political prisoner or minor pocket thief, who was to be their "meat" or "food supply" during their journey to freedom. After their escape, they first consumed all the regular food they brought along, after which they killed and dissected the unsuspecting political prisoner. Then, during the remaining portion of their sojourn they ate.
This was what happened in one of Vorkuta's notorious forced labor camps, when two murderers persuaded a well-fed cook to escape with them. The cook did not suspect that he was simply the "walking food supply" for the two bandits. But when their regular food ran out, it was the cook who came to be served up as their food. But the path to freedom turned out to be much longer than expected. They finished with the cook before reaching their destination. This was followed by days of hunger. Soon they began to eye each other. Fear crept into their minds. Neither of them dared to fall asleep, for fear of being killed by his partner. After a while, however, one of them did fall asleep. The other one took advantage of the opportunity and slit his partner's throat, and then sliced him up for food. He did not get very far, however. Two days later he was caught. His bag was still filled with fresh "meat"—the body parts ofhis erstwhile partner

3/4

Other Manifestations of Cannibalism

That Lajos M.'s informant was correct about incidents of cannibalism among the Ukrainians during the great famine has been amply documented by the multitude of published material since his incarceration in the Soviet Gulag. Many cases of cannibalism are recorded in contemporary GPU reports, as well as in Italian diplomatic documents from the Kharkiv region. As quoted by one of the authors of the Black Book of Communism: "Every night the bodies of 205 people who died of hunger or typhus are collected. Many of these bodies had their livers removed, through a large slit in the abdomen. The police finally picked up some of these mysterious 'amputators' who confessed that they were using the meat as filling for the meat pies they were selling in the market." While some enterprising individuals were selling meat pies filed with human organs, others were marketing whole corpses. Most of the latter were college students, who engaged in this sordid business simply to survive. Some of these students established contacts with Stalin's second wife, Nadezhda Alliluyeva, who promptly informed her husband about the desperate situation in Ukraine and the surrounding regions. Stalin, however, refused to believe it and reproached her for spreading "Trotskyite gossip." Moreover, Stalin had the "offending students" arrested and condemned. According to some scholars, it was Stalin's insensitivity to the death of millions of human beings which created the chasm between him and his wife and ultimately led to her alleged
suicide.

paulbogdanor.com/left/cannibalism.pdf Not sure how reliable this is.

4/4

No. It was Stalingrad.

Quite literally every board is some variant of /pol/

I know that's a troll post but it genuinely makes my blood boil

Underrated.

They'll never help you in your front because they think killing your enemies will make them win.

That's the intended effect, m8

Nah, mate

Fuck French frogs

The carnage of any pre-gunpowder battle is a truly terrifying sight. Imagine the horror of being surrounded by men desperately trying to kill each other in close, hand-to-hand combat. The violence was largely up close and personal but not every man would die instantly. Men who were seriously wounded in the middle of a melee would be left to wallow around in blood, feces, urine, sweat, dirt and vomit in excruciating pain all while chaos completely surrounded them. Fighters would undergo heavy exertion from the running about, the pushing, the stabbing, hacking, blocking and screaming. Now on average, participants of ancient battles had fairly good survival prospects considering how one side would turn and rout when they sense they are losing the melee and it's not like your average victorious soldier would muster up the remaining strength to go chasing their enemies immediately. True, most men would die during the rout, but it's not easy for a commander to order his men to annihilate the enemy in their entirety.

Cannae was different because the Romans in the battle were enveloped on both sides, then cut-off in the rear by the mercenary cavalry. Hannibal's men on each side began to force their enemies into a backpedal, packing them closer and closer to each other. The men were said to be unable to wield their weapons. There's an anecdote claiming that men readily commit suicide or begged to be killed during the battle. The battlefield of Cannae had all the terror of a typical battle but had it extremely concentrated and was a great deal longer. All but a few infantry cohorts were killed and it took time to kill such a large number of men.

You do know that /pol/ is a relatively new containment board to give political shitposting it's own place. Right?

Fuck off, anglos.

>As you drift into the abyss, last things that you hear from this world is leaf shitshouting.
The horror.

/pol/ is just the newest incarnation of /new/.

/pol/ is closer to /b/ 2.0 with a thin layer of politics than it is to /new/ 2.0