Putting aside the fact that riding a scooter looks gay as fuck...

Putting aside the fact that riding a scooter looks gay as fuck, what are exactly the cons compared to an average motorcycle?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hK1vszlccGQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

smaller wheels, more unsprung mass, less rigid frame

+ 200+ mpg.
- about 30 mph.
Better get a reliable one because nobody is stopping to help.

My first crash involved one of these.

Does it make sense to buy one of those big scooters with more than 400 cc?

If you want a narrow car with no roof then hell yeah.

100 mph sofa.

Is the engine less reliable and sturdy than the one on a motorcycle?

Scooters are cool but there is no point to them in a Western country since no one actually owns a motorcycle/scooter for any reason other than recreation. Motorcycles offer more recreational value than scooters.

Heard their transmissions are rather fragile... Then again almost all scooters I've seen around here are Chinese copies of other Chinese copies.

Not having a clutch, not having gears, and gimped wheel sizes is p gay. Also you can't grip the body and saddle with your knees on some hektik touge.

Scooters are budget machines. Most have some boot space and give third worlders cargo transport without having to rely on egg creates or machine side case mounts for their 125cc shitcycles

If you're a rich westerner you have no reason to get a scooter when you can get a car and then just save up for a good bike with luggage.

Except upright ergonomics aren't the best thing in the world when you're on a crappy two-wheel suspension. The legs are better at absorbing whatever impact the back can't, not so much if your ass is firmly planted with your feet forward.

Dude, where do you even buy those? I can't find them anywhere and the Honda dealerships don't even know where to look.

>Amerifag btw

>Not having a clutch
>Not having gears
WRONG.wav

They have centrifugal clutches and their transmission is CVT.

You can get that MPG and still get 50+ MPH. Past the CVT there is a set of gears that go from the output shaft and into the wheel shaft that greatly reduce the ratio from the transmission to the wheel. If I recall correctly it is like a 10:1 ratio. The benefit is you get more torque with it but you can buy after market parts like pic related that can make it a ~2.25/3:1 ratio so you have more wheel RPM. Scooters are a fun thing to make faster if you have some throw away money. After I get a car I'm thinking about turning mine into an offroad scooter just for fun.

The CVT is pretty annoying but other than that, there's not much wrong with a scooter for driving to work or making short trips around town. I'm thinking of getting a Honda Wave next year, I could drive to work and back for 2 weeks for 5 fucking euros.

>The CVT is pretty annoying
How?

Because CVTs always are, have you never driven one? It's noisy and accelerating feels weird compared to a motorbike or a car. Plus you're constantly on high revs when you're going fast, you can't select a higher gear for motorways like you can on a motorbike.

I just realized I forgot the image.

I have driven one. You can replace the rollers to a higher weights so you can reach a higher ratio at a lower rpm. Also I think the biggest reason you are at a constant high rpm is because of the final drive gears like I explained in my other post . Lowering the final drive gear ratio will allow you to reach a higher speed at less rpm. However the trade off is lower performance though if you have a 50cc. But I get what you mean by all of that. Except the noise. Mine doesn't seem too noisy.

Doing anything above forty and not being able to use the tank as leverage to counter steer would be scary as fuck to me.

Aside from MPG and being able to run one without a license in some states there is literally no advantage to riding a scooter over a motorcycle.

Ride a 400cc scooter and ride a 400cc bike back to back.

It will quickly sort out your dilemma.

Spoiler
If you don't come back saying holy fuck why would I even consider a scooter you should kill yourself

They come with CVT auto.
They are gay.
They are harder to control because no leg grip.
They are gay.
They are less powerful than a motorcycle of the same price.
They are gay.

So
>Not having a controllable clutch
>Not having gears

Scooters do have one thing motorcycles always lack.
The TOILET.
Yes, that sit under your ass can contain massive amounts of groceries, camping gear, your gym bag, a briefcase, a helmet, and a change of clothes.

I think there was a chinese scooter like that recently. That and restored ones.

Easily solved with a top box or panniers
Can even get soft bags shaped for the rear seat that strap on

too bad you can't go anywhere with all that crap

Some bikes have on-board storage.

Suzuki Across, Honda NC700 comes to mind.

Also nothing's stopping you from getting panniers and a top box like mentioned.

You can put a top box on a scooter.

Why would you buy a gay ass chink scooter when you can get an italian Godmachine ?
Aprilia LITERALLY A BEST
youtube.com/watch?v=hK1vszlccGQ

This. If your scooter doesn't go past 200kph and 0-60 in 5.5 you are literally a faggot

forgot picture

And if you load it down you're not going anywhere

Motorcycles can carry serious cargo and still have power to spare.

>but the storage containers and racks cost money
hence

scooters are for poor faggots

Only get a scooter if you want a cheap little run around town or like the classy look of the PX other then that bikes are better in every way apart from under seat storage

this lol

cvt is literally cucking yourself

if you can ride a whoolie on it, then I would ride my sportbike with you. its got two wheels and can whoolie I wouldn't call you a fag for riding it.

pros:
>they handle great at really low speeds
>no clutch no gearing you could drive it with one hand
>some have cargo spaces in the seat so great if youre commuting to work and need a place to keep the helmet
>mpg
>comfy light
Cons:
>shit turning at any appreciatable speed
>people call you gay even if you have more cc
>trash acceleration
>slow
>depends but can ve real heavy

source

CONS
>gay as fuck
>slow as fuck

PROS
>comfy as fuck
>economical as fuck

Do tiny engined scooters actually get more MPGs than a 125cc city bike? Always assumed an actual bike would get more miles out of it's fuel since it revs slower(and has gears)

>buying the scoot
>when the mana exists

Op, scoots are surprisingly uncomfy, you won't believe how much having a tank to grip with your legs is useful

Get this, a bike with a CVT (no gears) or an honda NC (DCT)

Scooters are only good when super low and laid back

See this, a properly sikk scoot
Even then, i'd change that seat, but we digress...

Or this, honda's integra/NC platform in cruiser form

Scoots run always at max rpm...

Lowering the final drive ratio will make it unusable in the city and generally kill acceleration across the board

Malossi overdrive a better and cheaper

Blemp

Looks gay.

>what are exactly the cons compared to an average motorcycle?
Basically limited to 35MPH roads due to road conditions and their small tires. Any faster and you have a wreck situation from sequential road conditions.
Careless drivers in newer limited-visibility cars might not see you. They will hit and run you.
Some drivers passionately hate scooters and may force you off the road.
No freeway driving.
Can't drive it on many fast non-freeway roads
The homeless will mug you for that scooter.

>Easily solved with a top box or panniers
Scooters suffer from pannier wind sail because the smaller wheels don't give as much gyroscopic support. You can add them, but that doesn't make it right with those tiny wheels.

Dumb question: Do I have to pay insurance on a scooter like I would a motorcycle?

>what are exactly the cons compared to an average motorcycle

It still needs a motorcycle parking space as it is too big for the bicycle parking area.

Before you get one, make a list on paper of all the typical places you normally go to. Now, for each location, write YES or NO next to the entry if you can get to them going scooter speed on the roadway. If you can legitimately ride the scooter at a normal scooter speed, then that is good. If you cannot, then that destination is not a good reason for you to get a scooter.

Those 50cc scooters get horrible gas mileage if you factor in how little power they have. Especially if you get a two stroke.

yes

Is that for a certain CC limit? I definitely see people using electric bicycles without insurance

nc700 is a scooter though

Not sure how it works in burgerland but in yurop electric bikes are a legal grey area even though some of them do 40kmh. Scooters always cost something to insure though. I pay like 180€ a year for my 50cc shitbike.

I live in Massivejewshits (Massachusetts) and

In most european countries, electric bicycles are "electrically assisted" bikes, which means they are bicycles as far as laws and rules go

The only point I see in scooters in the west is because they are compact so you can fit them inside a camper and have something to go about town and grab some eggs and bacon from the market with instead of walking or driving the huge 12mpg camper there.
In which case you tend to get one of the older, or older styled, classy ones. Modern scooters mostly look stupid as fuck.

When it comes to actual commuting to work or something, they are terrible. Get a comfortable street bike like a used Ducati 696 Monster for that.