Why do people still defend the rotary engine despite it having literally zero useful applications in a road car?

Why do people still defend the rotary engine despite it having literally zero useful applications in a road car?

They get unbelievably terrible fuel economy regardless of how you drive them, they sound awful, they burn oil, they are more difficult to work on, they self destruct if you don't let them heat up and cool down properly and they are just generally unreliable pieces of shit. It's a meme engine at absolute best. Driving around in a rotary is just like driving around in an old piece of shit Soviet car, it's complete garbage and you hate it, but you do it anyway just because you're an edgy faggot and you tell yourself you're cool because it's unique.

The only advantages anyone can ever come up with are that the are ever so slightly lighter than an engine producing comparable power, and that being small displacement, they are sometimes cheaper to insure. That's literally fucking it.

Other urls found in this thread:

liquidpiston.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=c2Oliq1znfk
youtube.com/watch?v=cfNW1ERej0A
youtube.com/watch?v=dz8iKeHAckg&t=5s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Friendly reminder GM has literally never ever won LeMans

why do you get so assmad you have to make a thread

>Why do people still defend the rotary engine despite it having literally zero useful applications in a road car?
It can power a road car. That is literally the only thing that matters :^)

>They get unbelievably terrible fuel economy regardless of how you drive them
20mpg combined aint too bad, a 30 year old v8 gets much worse economy and isnt faster :^)

>they are more difficult to work on
what

>they self destruct if you don't let them heat up and cool down properly
go limiter bash an ls1 from a cold start see how long it lasts (protip: it wont be long) :^)

stay mad and stupid pistoncuck :^)

>more difficult to work on
What? This is just piss poor bait. Heres the (you)

>that picture
kek
honestly you almost had me m8

>20mpg combined aint too bad, a 30 year old v8 gets much worse economy and isnt faster :^)
Go kill yourself idiot, a rotarshit will get single digits all day easily if you hammer it, and you'd be fucking lucky as fuck to get more than 15 driven sensibly.

maybe you could stop being a fucking cuck and get a prius or something

>have to fill up with fuel every 20 minutes
>extortionate fuel bills
>all for 210bhp
kk np

>a rotarshit will get single digits all day easily if you hammer it
no it wont. mine gets 12mpg at the very worst when demolishing slowfag pistoncucks on the touge

you seem to know so much though. how long you owned a rotary?

>a literal faggot who can't even afford gas

help yourself and go back to

Not everyone uses your Ameritard units, Ameritard.

>have to fill up with fuel every 20 minutes
and even stopping every 20 minutes for fuel with only 210bhp the poor little rotary still managed to wipe the floor with pistoncucks so hard that FIA banned it from prototype racing for ever :^))

>only engine type to get banned from LeMans because the 787B was too good

Assmad piston cucks don't like it because they're scared of its unholy power-to-weight and power-to-displacement ratio

320km from a 55l tank do the math nerd

>Why do people still defend the rotary engine despite it having literally zero useful applications in a road car?
It's light, makes good power (especially considering it's packaging and weight), and it's reliable in the endurance sense of the word.

>Bad fuel economy
Not bad enough that they're completely impractical.
>They sound awful
Opinions.
>They burn oil
So do two strokes. Your point?
>More difficult to work on
Again, your opinion, and a lot of mechanics would disagree with you.
>They self destruct
So does a piston engine if you hammer it when cold, or shut it down abruptly.
>Unreliable
They endure.

It's not at all like driving a Soviet car, which is much, much worse. There's actually advantages of the rotary over piston engines, most of them being that high power density. They make less sense for a daily driver, sure, but they're good fun as a weekend car or track toy. To discount a specific engine type just by disliking several aspects (and not looking at it's positive ones) is simply to be ignorant.

>320km from a 55l tank
LOL

>especially considering it's packaging and weight
Who cares? Do you store your luggage in your engine compartment? Why do you need the extra space?

>Toyota LITERALLY couldn't do it at LeMans

TOYOTA NOT FOR LEMANS

>hp/kg is not important
stop being stupid

I thought it was more along these lines.

>I get all my information from Veeky Forums and take it as fact cause memes>truth

>I get all my information from Veeky Forums and take it as fact cause memes>truth
every pistoncuck rotary hater on Veeky Forums ever

>FIA banned the rotary
They did not, they just weight factored it out of being competitive. Weight is a pretty big thing in an endurance race like the 24h of Le Mans, where rotaries excelled for a few years.

Anyways, they were never outright banned, and there's at least one team I know of (InMotion iirc) that's working on a hybrid rotary to compete in the prototype class.

>namefag
>tripfag
>scum car lover
>cries for mods when he gets btfo
You may be bigger cancer than alphonse

Because smaller engine packaging results in a lighter, smaller, nimbler chassis. Because it allows you to have more elaborate front suspension. Because it weighs less, the weight distribution will be more rearward - yet due to the smaller overall engine length, that weight will be centralised more.

>literally defending a failed engine design
There's a reason why no one else ever made a rotary or why mazda hasn't made another rotary

assmad GM fangirls need not to apply

>and hes illiterate!!!

>mazda to deliver the RX-9 on 2019
>these guys liquidpiston.com/
good job being a dumb cuck

>slut and stanced miata on pink watanabes
damn what a fucking pleb

>No one else ever made a rotary
Hercules, Norton, Van Veen, Yamaha, Suzuki, Citroen, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, Ford, AMC, Porsche , Toyota, NSU, Audi, Rolls Royce and GM would all beg to differ. Hell, even the M1 Abrams uses a rotary APU.

>taking a concept as truth
Wanna try again
>damage control
KEK

literally stated in the rule book for the following years that only *reciprocating engines* of whatever displacements were allowed, nothing said about non-rpe engines

>There's a reason why no one else ever made a rotary
yea mazda is the only people to make a rotary, roflmao

>literally on the defensive side

lmao, just make sure not to spill too much vile

Why are you idiots replying to an illiterate scumbag?

>taking a concept as truth
kek this just in, the 2019 mustang/camaro is just a concept and they may not exist

How does it feel to know Toyota has LITERALLY never ever won LeMans while Mazda, using a rotary, did?

Does it hurt your feelings?

The funny thing is, im a fan of rotaries
Youre a flaming idiot though.

Another as in after mazda discontinued
And abrams uses a turbine

Nice tripcode by the way.

You didn't answer my question

nissan is Dominating LMP2 and mazda has actually won

NOT FOR LEMANS

>cherry picking
But it's possible they could not make one
>more damage control
LMAO just give up
See

>nissan is Dominating LMP2
nissan the only ones in lmp2 tho??

Fucking kill yourself tripnigger.

no?

>d-damage control

stay btfo, seriously, did you just make a thread so that we could walk all over you?

>retard doesn't know what an APU is

nice to know I hurt your feelings

>no?
do they even race in lmp2 or just their engines are used??

nissan is shit too they cant even win le mans either

Holy fuck I love cocks

I ain't op breah
>amusing others of damage control when all he can do is post smug faces and say damage control
I never knew rotards were cucked this badly
STEP AWAY FROM THE MEME

>cuck cuck cuck

we didn't ask about ur relationship user

Not an argument

weight and balance are important when cornering. Rotiries are unreliable sure, but they're also light and small for their power, making them easy to balance (they also vibrate less). Better balance means less over and under steering. Less under/over steering means taking corners faster. And the small distribution means more room for your turbos and whatnot. For a pro racing team reliability means fuck all so they can use rotaries. Mazda tried putting the same engines in their road cars and people haven't stopped buying them so they are still making them.

>ba' meh flooding.
No one cares, it's not that bad.
>dem apex seals dough
No one cares, it's not that bad
>don't work gud if izn't heat up wright.
Isn't a problem if you only drive to work and on weekends
>don't work gud if izn't cool wright
Neither do turbos, what's your point.

>The only advantages anyone can ever come up with are that the are ever so slightly lighter than an engine producing comparable power, and that being small displacement, they are sometimes cheaper to insure. That's literally fucking it.

rotary does not cheat the properties of metal or the properties of physics

piston engines need more weight to house all that motherfucker power. they will explode from all that power if not enough meta/weightl is present

rotaries solve this dilemma by producing less power.
its fucking retarded

the dorrito does not spin in any special magical way that utilizes the metal structure or whatever dumb bullshit rotary fags are thinking.
it is lighter because it is producing less power at the crank

simple as that

>And abrams uses a turbine
Abrams uses a turbine, and a rotary APU. Learn to read.

All of my wut

Or actually it produces less power at detonation -less compression

>it is lighter because it rotates instead of reciprocating, which outs less strain on the internals and allows for more power with less bearing material.
Ftfy

The problem with rotaries IN A ROAD CAR is not like the other guys said, but yes seals are an issue you are trying to seal a triangle in a oval with 4 separate seals with a engine block that has a big difference in temperate between the intake/exhaust and the compressing/combustion side which like you said won't really matterrible in a race car but kills the engines longitivity in a road and you can't forget it burns oil buy design which is pretty self explanatory
Don't get me wrong they have a good power to weight and size to power ratios but major redesigns need to be done to bring it up to its full potential

once again you do not understand physics.
trust me, there is no magical reciprocation.

the post perfectly explains why piston engines are heavier. because they produce more power. the explosion within the cylinder is great

a rotary is more like a weak little steel ball rattling around in a can of spraypaint.
this is why its lighter. deal with it

A rotary is actually still reciprocating, but I'm just not-picking.

indeed, for a road car it seems there are far better options out there. But because of its pedigree (for lack of a better word). I think that some people might buy rotaries just to have a racing engine. The same reason people weld the diff on there daly. That and mazda makes hella fun kars.

After hating them for years i am not sure why

youtube.com/watch?v=c2Oliq1znfk

I'd totally own a 3 Rotor Turbo Mazda Eunos Cosmo but i cant stand n/a 2 rotor mazdas

>motherfucker power.
Calm Down Segal

youtube.com/watch?v=cfNW1ERej0A

Because fuck n/a rotaries. With the amount of exhaust energy a rotary creates, and the amount of boost they can take, they're perfectly matched to turbo's.

>Long list of shit that only matters if you're a poorfag and can only own one car

Okay

Go buy a fucking camry then. Wankels are for sports cars. Sports cars sacrifice DD shit like long maintenance intervals and fuel efficiency for performance and novelty.

What's next, are you going to make a thread lambasting turbo V6s because they guzzle gas under boost? Whine about V8s when an I4 is "good enough"? Stroll on over to /dbt/ and proclaim that there is no reason to own anything but a goldwing? Fuck you.

t. Bench racer

A benchracer would probably find a honda civic that got a better time than an RX-7 on fastestlaps and say "rotards btfo" 2bhonto senpai-sama.

No one is talking about daily driving one you stupid ass, they are still huge downsides for a road car. I'd rather get 0.005G less on the skid pad than have to dump $500 of fuel into my car to go on any decent length road trip, and I'd rather not have to change my oil by the side of the road because I have 1000 mile oil change intervals.

but they sound like shit and they are very slow

no rotary has made me think "DAMN" when stepping on the gas

BRAP BRAP BAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT PSSSHHH BRRRRRRRRRT PSSSHH

>Help I have confused a track car with a grand tourer
>Someone please euthanise me I think I have downs autism

>200bhp
>track car
LOL

ROTARDS BTFO

HOW CAN THEY EVER RECOVER?

you kind of have an idea of what you are trying to say but not really

the forces sustained during reciprocation of the piston engine are far greater than something always continuing its rotation of mass. up, stop, down, stop, up, stop, down, stop.... vs just spin and keep spinning. 'power produced' has nothing to do with it

>rotary does not cheat the properties of physics
nor do piston engines, thats why they 'need more weight to house all that motherfucker UP AND DOWN, UP AND DOWN'. force always having to change direction is not good. ever!

come on, srsly use your brain

Just wait until you find out spec miata exists

>tsukuba
roflmao

>the forces sustained during reciprocation of the piston engine are far greater than something always continuing its rotation of mass. up, stop, down, stop, up, stop, down, stop.... vs just spin and keep spinning. 'power produced' has nothing to do with it
>what is a camshaft

>what is a camshaft
something that is bearing loads from the pistons going up and down up and down

Are you trying to say that something in motion wants to stay in motion?

Preposterous.

Oh my fuck. You are the worst trip I have ever seen on Veeky Forums

The Abrams uses a rotary apu, not a wankel you retard. Unless you're going to put anything but a wankel in your car you can shut the fuck up.

This might be the most American post I've ever seen on Veeky Forums.

You're more likely to pull 0.15 less on the skid pad, and thats something the rx7 wasn't even built for lol fuck yourself

The results dont even make any sense.

And 5.8 seconds? That's a flat out lie especially for a late model. Those were more in the ballpark of 4.4, and the older ones were just under 5 seconds

>murika

>muh MPGays, muh oil, rotaries just aren't reasonable
>LOL LESS THAN 8 CYLINDERS !? KILL YOU'RESELF MY MAN!
if you're DDing a rotary you only got yourself to blame. If you want a nice Rx7 as a project and summer car, that's still a very good choice.

Rotaries are just a hipster meme, they're one step up from Subarus.

178 hp/liter.

think about that.

also
>they are more difficult to work on
bullshit lol, There is an s5 fc in my garage that is piss easy to do anything on, easier than my integra my driveway

youtube.com/watch?v=dz8iKeHAckg&t=5s
>driving a slowvic

they are simpler engine thought and by doing so are more reliable

Most people who talk shit on rotaries usually drive shit 4 cyl cars with only 3 cyl even firing. The reason you would buy a rotary is because youve looked at all other FR cars and determined their engines weigh too much for the power they put out. Now a rotary weighs as much as the transmission its attached too abd is seated way back in the engine bay behind the strut towers, meaning it was Front-mid engine before it was a thing really. When you are driving for racing related reason youd already be keeping your oil checked up on, you'd have gas money for your races and you would know to properly maintain the engine. Sorry you think all engines are like pistons but other engines require different care.

>5.8s

Now you're straight up lying.

FDs are all under 5 seconds...

And most if not all are people who have never driven one. Everyone who drives mine understands after.

P E R S O N A L
T
A
S
T
E

god damn that steel looks as if has been pressed cold. which is strange cause they should be more hardened

thats probably how the rod failed, it was not properly tempered

also just noticed the asian "engineer" standing in the background...

its safe to consider the possibility of chinese engineering

By the way, for anyone wondering, the wankel is literally as anti-american as a concept can be.

Same power, smaller engine. When Americans heard this, they didn't think "cool, lighter cars" they thought "make it the Same Size, too much power" and were BAMBOOZLED that their engine couldn't fucking work.

They don't understand the idea of "better handling", they don't need "less weight", they don't get the idea that maybe, MAYBE smaller is better in some cases.

All they understand is displacement. All they understand is that bigger is better. HP is irrelevant. Handling is irrelevant. Size is all that matters. The bigger the engine, the better. Why would you want smaller engines? More power? Fuck that. MY V8 IS BIG. YOUR ENGINE IS SMALL. YOU ARE WEAK. I AM STRONG.

That's America. They cannot appreciate the Wankel because it makes no sense to them. That's why it will never catch on. Ever.

"Sounds like crap" have you ever heard a 787B? That's one of the most awe inspiring sounds a combustion engine has ever produced. Makes no power? You're probably just too shit a driver to keep the revs up.

seriously was that from some kind of interference engine with carbide valves? what the fuck

> Be Japanese
> Be cucked into small spaces
Lmaoing at ur life

German, actually.

But it's cool. I'll be over her, making more power than you at significantly lower weight.