Waterloo

Why is it known (at least in the US) as the marquee battle of the napoleonic wars? I understand it was the last one but Leipzig did more to crush napoleons empire. Is it just because the Brits hyped Waterloo so much?

>Is it just because the Brits hyped Waterloo so much?

Unironically yes, that's the only reason.

British propaganda
Same reason why the stereotypical image of WW1 is a Brit vs a German rather than a Frenchman vs a German

Brits are bad at war but they're good at making people beliave they helped the most to win it afterwards ("helped" always apply since Brits never win wars alone)

WW2 is by far the best example, a war in which they did literally nothing other than getting serially raped by the Japanese.

But no one other than themselves consider they did anything in WW2

Because most people are dumb, and it's easiest to identify an era starting and ending with a single dramatic figure, a la Napoleon.

Waterloo was the battle that put an end to Napoleon, personally, and for the last time. Therefore, it's easy to mistake it as the critical and decisive battle, even if it's not the one that actually defeated him.

Same reason why there's so much focus on things like the Hundred Days offensive and the battle of Berlin, even though neither were really decisive battles/offensives in their conflicts either.

>even if it's not the one that actually defeated him.
But it was

Daily reminder,Lepzig was a defeat caused by a panicking french soldier blowing a bridge at exactly the wrong time

Waterloo was a defeat because Napoleon was out-generaled, and was captured

>Daily reminder,Lepzig was a defeat caused by a panicking french soldier blowing a bridge at exactly the wrong time

But that's wrong, fucking retard
The bridge was blown to avoid pursuit during the retreat after the battle had been lost (mostly due to numbers and German betrayal).

The bridge was indeed blown too early which prevented the Polish prince from crossing, dooming him to death, but it had no effect on the result

And Napoleon wasnt captured at Waterloo
He went back to Paris, abdicated since there was no hope left and then went to surrender to the British navy

The Eternal Kraut strikes again

>one third of army captured
>No effect
What would the result have been if he hadnt blown the bridge?

Germans flying over the river to victory?

>Napoleon wasnt captured at Waterloo
Now we know who the retard is user

You're only making yourself look like a fool
Napoleon wasnt captured at Waterloo

So how many victories did he have after waterloo

Royal Highness, – Exposed to the factions which divide my country, and to the enmity of the great Powers of Europe, I have terminated my political career; and I come, like Themistocles, to throw myself upon the hospitality (m'asseoir sur le foyer) of the British people. I claim from your Royal Highness the protections of the laws, and throw myself upon the most powerful, the most constant, and the most generous of my enemies.
—Napoleon. (letter of surrender to the Prince Regent)

>So how many victories did he have after waterloo

Are you dense?
The answer is there The 2nd sentence

Waterloo was the last of Napoleon but his empire ended at Leipzig, no matter how the battle happened

Historicly speaking Leipzig was an important stage in the defeat of Napoleon, Waterloo was the end of the napoleonic era,you know like the german army was defeated at Stalingrad,but nazi-ism wasnt ended til the fall of Berlin.

Oh...um I dunno man.

Except that France already surrendered and had Napoleon exiled to the isle of Elba and the Bourbons restored.

Borodino bros where we at? Napoopan lost his empire when he didn't commit the guard at borodino, not leipzig

>Same reason why there's so much focus on things like the Hundred Days offensive and the battle of Berlin, even though neither were really decisive battles/offensives in their conflicts either.

the hundred days offensive was absolutely decisive, sure economic factors spelt eventual doom for the germans, but having the anglo french forces absolutely kick the shit out of them, recover all the territory they had lost in the spring and then proceed to punch out a huge section of the the hindenburg line was absolutely decisive.

it showed the germans that the allies were capable of taking and sustaining a offensive in the face of the best defenses the germans could muster, breaking those defenses down. it showed the germans that all hope was gone and now all that could be done was obtain the best terms, it ended the war.

NASSAU
A
S
S
A
U

Von Kruse is fucking based.

Meh, Napoleon still won Borodino
He really lost when he decided to sit in Moscow until winter instead of pushing on Petersburg or retreating directly