RX-8 has 220 HP from a 1.3L with 4 doors

>RX-8 has 220 HP from a 1.3L with 4 doors.
>Zero insurance cost, incognito to police, superb styling
>Inexpensive buying price, same MPG as my DD
I've only ever changed wiper blades, how terrible of an idea would this be?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Wankel_engine#Displacement
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bad.
The renesis is notorious for being even more of a fickle bitch than the 13b.
They require a lot of preventative maintenance, arguably the most out of any engine/configuration, but the benefit is that, since its a rotary engine, catastrophic failure is nigh impossible.
Its definitely not a car for beginners.
Buy a shitbox and learn out to wrench first, because the rotary is alien territory when you first get into it.

That's a nice ass

Just buy a shit one with fucked up engine and have it rebuilt.

>RX-8 has 220 HP from a 1.3L with 4 doors.
*3.9L

But shit, let me give you an actual answer.

Alright dude. If you need to upgrade, The RX8 is a fantastic car. It's sporty and actually a little practical, a fucking joy to drive and more manageable than most other Rotaries.

Things to keep in mind:
>1. The 2004, maybe 2005 models had major issues with the one thing that matters with Mazda Wankels - Oil. Make no mistake, oil is fuel, and the pre-2006 models had issues with actually injecting enough oil. No matter the model, premix just to be safe.
>2. The 2009+ models might as well be a different car. Honestly...maybe it was in my head, but they are not as fun to drive. However, the engines are bulletproof. Take that as you will.
>3. Be very careful when buying a used one. Have full documentation of the car's history. Know what kind of owner you're dealing with. If they seem retarded of daddy bought it for her, run the fuck away.
>4. Know the engine. Make sure to compression test or pay someone to compression test a car you're mostly sure you like. See if it's ever been replaced, and by who - new engines are good, the shitty "refurbished" caterpillar engines were cancer. Be warned.

The car is a dream. Front engine. RWD. Handles better than any car I've ever driven. Sturdiest ride you can get, rigid as all get out, responsive, sings like an angel at high RPM which it soars to with undaunted grace, rewards you for redlining it.

Sure, there are downsides. Sure, it's not for everyone. It's for me, though. Is it for you? Idk. Engine rebuilds / replacements are cheap as fuck tho tbqh fampai even if it's fucked it's not hard to fix it.

...no, dude. It's 1.3. That's it's actual size. Not class, not category. It's non-negotiable. It doesn't change just because it makes more power than an engine that size normally does.

>It's non-negotiable.
>only counts one side of each rotor
>suddenly non-negotiable
It's a 3.9L.
Fuck off.

>same MPG as my DD

Its a 1.3l
A piston engine doesn't measure the volume of one piston three times does it?

If you have to buy an RX8, get the cleanest example with low miles from a dealer that offers an extended warranty

How do you measure liters? Do you have some special system, different than metric, imperial, what have you? I'd like to hear your reasoning.

>he doesn't know how a wankel works

Mazda only counted 1 side of both rotors when calculating displacement, but all 3 sides of it are used as combustion chambers. Therefore, multiply the claimed displacement by 3 to get the true displacement.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Wankel_engine#Displacement

All three chambers don't combust at the same time

>I swear it's a 1.3L

Neither do piston engines you mong

Yupp. It is a 3 rotor 1.3, and therefore displaces ~3.9. Nothing wrong with that.

On an off topic, think how 2 strokes have compression on up and down stroke of the piston, thereby moving double the air and making double power (well, almost)

Motogp used to limit 2 strokes to 500cc and 4 strokes to 1000cc. 4 strokes won out eventually, because they do have a wider powerband and more torque, also 2 strokes wear the hell out of piston rings and lose compression faster.

Anyways, its a neat and unique design imo, but I'd have to boost it. Coming from mod motors, I like the idea of an extremely reliable motor with a power adder.

Not sure how the rx8 would handle in comparison to modern mustangs, camaros, or even vettes or miatas but the biggest downfall to me is lack of power.

These things dyno low and 1/4 mile slips reflect that. You'd be faster than the average car, but slower than any v8 or modern v6 probably.

what website is this?

fueleconomy.gov

Btw, not that a 5.0l v8 displaces 40l in one revolution, but rather as a whole. I guess to clarify, each rotor displaces 1.3l per turn. Each piston in an 8 liter v8 ( for an easy example to convey my point) would move 1l per piston stroke.

The guy was asking about if he should buy an RX8, wtf are you guys bitching about. Help the guy out sheesh

Do it, if you're certain it was properly cared for.

It'll be fine as long as you don't mistreat it.

>Zero insurance cost just because it's 4 doors
????

what ignorant insurance companies do you have in your area that don't know it's a

>Rx-8
wow this is actually pretty cheap in my area too. Just around $3000-$6000 (CAD) it seems. What gives?

Can't I just engine swap the rotary engine once it needs that apex seal thing? Not sure what that would mean for insurance though.

Wrong
It's classed as a 1.3
Is effectively a 2.6
Total volume is 3.9

Best representation is 2.6.

noice

Its the equivalent of a 2.6l 4 stroke reciprocating piston engine
Its a 1.3l mazda wankel
The total swept volume of the rotors is 3.9l

I don't see how it's fair to class it as 3.9l though when there are multiple combustion cycles currently happening
A single combustion cycle is displacement of 656cc, but there another five happening at any given time so idk

The 1st gen RX-8's are notorious for engine flooding and the 13b REN is a shit rotary all around.

Shit as in there's not much room for power gains sure
It's literally the most well engineered rotary though
Twice as much power as a 12a with all the reliability

japanese dorito > italian sportscar > burger trash

Actually if it was a piston engine it'd be a 2.6l v6, the formula is:
> no. of rotors × 3 = config
>no. of rotors x displacement = piston displacement
Remember, it behaves like a 2 stroke, so it actually takes in twice as much fuel as a piston engine.

>Adding oil and changing oil in time
>OMG preventative maintenance is a nightmare!

Rx8 is a great car, i miss mine :/ even though i have a stick 335i now. It's not the fastest thing in a straight line but the only car i've driven with better road feel was a ferrari

>all the reliability
nah m8 its got less oil inection leading to dry seals, the exhaust ports are terribly designed too

It's what mazda could do to meet emissions.

For power, supercharger is the best way to go because of that.

S/c, longtube header and a better exhaust will allow you to lick 300whp - on that light of a car that makes it a lot of fun