Everyone on Veeky Forums tells me to buy a manual: theyre more reliable and more fun

>everyone on Veeky Forums tells me to buy a manual: theyre more reliable and more fun
>buy a manual shitbox
>test out the clutch, not slipping or anything, seems fine

1 month later I take the car for unrelated engine work to the shop and the mechanic tells me the clutch is very worn out and will need replacing soon ( although not worn out enough to cause it to slip and be detectable without dropping the tranny)
>shit costs me like $1000 for a clutch and flywheel replacement

3 months later my synchro starts grinding whenever i shift into 2nd gear

FUCK
who else fell for the manual tranny meme?

dumb frogposter.

Stop fucking ragging on the transmission then. You don't have to go F&F every stop light.

>1000$ clutch job
We told you not to buy German cars

> mechanic tells me my clutch is worn out even though there's no way to tell without dropping the transmission
>charges me $1,000
Bad news, op I see your hard drive is also worn out but I can service it for you I'll just need a credit card number

>$1000
Don't buy a Porsche next time then, faggot.

>get bamboozled by shop saying I need to replace my clutch that doesn't slip

Who else fell for the OPisalwaysafaggot meme?

REV

he called me and showed me the clutch, it was pretty worn out but still had like maybe a month left before it started slipping

its a 2002 audi worth 4k

>2002 audi

You deserve what you get.

>2002 audi

Nice VW

>2002 audi
Mistakes

Well, at least you know that you shouldn't buy German shitmobiles.

Kek, the clutch on those doesn't slip, ever. It engages high, but it won't slip. You got bamboozled.

How's that work?
Not op, quite straight.

>2002 audi

Excellent meme

>he bought a fancy Passat for 4k
Seriously, you picked the worst German brand.

Yeah but you can push start your car if your battery dies so you got that going for you.

I had to do that a lot in a shitty nissan pickup that had fucked wiring.

Lol Audi

I replaced the entire auto transmission in my Honda for about 1k

Means you're a shit driver who wears out the clutch.

Nothing more.

Most clutch jobs, if taken to a mechanic are a grand, and since most don't want to bother having the flywheel resurfaced, they just buy a new flywheel.

user... You didn't fall for the "manual" meme. You bought an unreliable audi. If it was anything but a german car, it would actually be reliable. Plus, you can replace a clutch yourself on your driveway. My friend has a diesel jetta and did it, it took over a full day of work but all he paid for was the clutch.

Sounds to me like you got rolled. You don't ever replace a clutch early unless:

A) it slips and/or prevents shifting
B) You race regularly and need to stay at the top of your game

>Have 1991 Tercel
>It burns a valve at 240,000 miles
>Rering and new head time
>lol might as well replace the clutch while I have the engine out

Added a whole $80 to the job, even though the old clutch was in good shape. I'm just lazy and don't want to have to drop the trans in another 100,000 when the clutch DOES die.

I wonder if this is true for all VAG cars of that period,because I drive a mk2 golf whose clutch also engages really high,but I don't worry about it too much.

What do you mean showed you the clutch? All the cost is labor all the labor is taking it out, so if he showed you the actual clutch plate you're dumber than previously indicated

Also did you fix? Was it instantly amazingly better?

let me tell you how you fucked up.
number 1:

>1 month later I take the car for unrelated engine work to the shop and the mechanic tells me the clutch is very worn out

how could he have known that without dropping the tranny? hed have to drop the tranny to make sure it isnt just a pressure plate or fly wheel.

plus, you took it in for engine work not clutch or transmission work.
>inb4 he felt it in the pedal

Number 2:

>although not worn out enough to cause it to slip and be detectable without dropping the tranny

you actually beileved this.
because he didnt drop the tranny.

number 3.
>shit costs me like $1000 for a clutch and flywheel replacement

only a fucking fool would pay this price for a clutch replacment

congradulations you got swindled out of a thousand dollars!

>4 grand 2002 Audi
EVERYBODY POINT AND LAUGH

My E39 has a clutch that grabs high too. Always grabbed high since Ive owned it. 182k miles on original clutch tho, still going strong. You may have gotten fucked OP.

>the clutch is very worn out and will need replacing soon
Undetectable unless slipping. You got fooled. There's a fair chance he didn't do the work and just showed you a clutch that he had.

>take it in for engine work
>mechanic says the clutch is failing and talks you into a 1000 dollar repair.
...that motherfucker better be the tranny whisperer. It's one thing if you're already doing a major repair. it's another if it's something minor.

>its a 2002 audi worth 4k
Haldex a shit

$4,000 plus $1,000 means you've got a working, fun-to-drive manual car for only $5,000. Still a good deal. Much better than losing thousands in deprecation when buying a new economy shitbox.

UP

Newfag here, what's F&F?