What are things you don't dare to work on yourself (yet?)

Transmissions

Anything that requires dropping the engine. I don't have a crane, engine stand, or the garage space.

>I'm also S C A R E D

Electronics/ECU stuff.

>tfw irrational fear of car-jack breaking while you're working under the car

i've yet to set up a ring and pinion. that will probably change soon as I need to do a budget re-gear on my truck and my wife's boss has set up literally hundreds of R&Ps for off road trucks so I will force her to bake him cookies so he'll teach me his wizard ways.

Seconded.

I had that happen 2 days ago when I wasn't under the car

Not irrational, very possible

thx bro.

that really cheered me up

jackstands. Two of them.

And wheels if you took them off.
I also throw two rounds of wood under as well.

Anything but oil while the car is under warranty.

After that I don't fuck with anything but fluids/filters if it's my DD. A regular paycheck is more important than saving a few bucks while the engine is on the bench.

I won't do automatic trannies, turbos, and anything ECU related. Basic mechanical shit maybe.

cribbing blocks are the way to go. they also work fine under the chassis or jacking point if you are doing suspension work or breaks

Straight up, just removing and swapping the heater core. It's a pain and I'll pay a shop to do it

>Transmissions
Same.

I'll do R&R for A/T, and anything involving M/T. But fuck cracking open an A/T case; there's pure witchcraft inside

welding
engine hoisting because lack of tools and space
anything else that requires expensive tools

oh and also anything that requires a breaker bar or a impact gun

body work, paint.

Everything.

On my car, my first car, I have changed a pollen filter, put on some new handbrake and gearstick gaiters, removed and cleaned washer bottle, painted on underseal, sanded and painted steel wheels (with help from my brother) and did a not brilliant, but not hugely noticeable sanding, rust converter application and painting at the bottom of a door.

I enjoy doing stuff on the car so hopefully my brother will help me out with servicing the car since he has done mechanic courses and worked in a garage and car sales place.

Emissions equipment

>What are things you don't dare to work on yourself (yet?)
I can't even replace all the spark plugs in this damn new car. There are metal pipes crossing here and there and I'll need tools to remove them AND refill whatever liquid leaks out. That means bleeding them too and using a gauge for pressure. Damn it all. Spark plug job at chevy stealership is $386 USD estimate as of last month.

>irrational fear of car-jack breaking while you're working under the car

It's not irrational. Hydraulic seals of cheap jacks can begin leaking after X minutes of pressure. If they were cheap seals, the whole jack and simply let the load down somewhat quickly (they don't give out instantly and slam down).

Jack stands can be made of cast (not forged) metal. Harbor Freight cast metal supports can break suddenly.

hahahaha

im a paranoid fuck myself, doing what i do for a living i always have redundancies and failover methods even when working on the cars, not like i use a shitty jack stand but i just dont have the need to take a dangerous chance, those jacks can fail senpai

Big ticket items like the clutch, trans, head work, timing belt etc etc.
Anything less involved im usually comfortable doing myself or with someone there who knows more or as much as i do.
Ive yet to dismantle an intake manifold but ill be doing it soon.

head gasket and thats it unless i dont have tools.

That's about it for me. Also custom ecu tuning. I figure I could do it but I'm not willing to roll those dice.

Susepnsion
I'm nervous about lifting the car up and even more nervous about torques and stuff. I.E. Accidentally don't torque enough and don't use threadlock and it all falls apart

>but ill be doing it soon.
>soon.
>is on Veeky Forums

So you mean "never"

I have that exact same jack stand.

if you say so
ive already taken apart/cleaned everything up to the upper intake. im just waiting to take everything else apart for when i need to access bank 2 for anything, likely spark plugs

Chryslers

Almost nothing. I've spec'd everything in the drivetrain of my miata except for the transmision bearings since you can't really tell if they are worn without taking them off, but since you destroy the bearing getting it off there is no point until it fails, which the rarely do.

I've painted the chassis inside and out (in my driveway) and achieved amazing results with proper proper prep work. I've rebuilt the entire bottom end of the engine from scratch. I'm in the process of revamping the cooling and ignition systems to accomdate a turbo.

Pretty much the only thing I won't do myself is an alignment because I don't have one of those fancy computer alignment memes.

BMW electronics

Timing chain guides on my 540i wagon

Im terrified of retiming the engine.

ive had one fall recently on me. im fine, used hydraulic jacks to keep it from crushing you .

>have 4runner with 5VZ
>bought OE parts for timing belt change
>two years have past
>still scared to touch it
>don't want to bring parts to a shop
>might get pissed I didn't buy the parts from them

>antenna won't go down anymore, stuck in up position
>someone breaks it off one day
>buy non-retractable replacement for "upgrade"
>have to get into dash to feed new line through
>glovebox is locked shut, has been since PO had it
>can't get into dash
>guess I'll never replace it

>passenger door lock doesn't function
>buy replacement door lock unit thing
>don't want to spend 2+ hours ripping into the door
>make my passengers manually open and close the lock

>transfer unit is leaking
>need a couple tools + jack stands to put new seals in
>never go buy the tools
>finally stops leaking
>just pretend I don't have 4x4 anymore

>buy new radiator to replace old one
>prepare to buy separate trans cooler
>known problem on this model
>don't want to replace rad until timing belt gets done
>have an entire boxed radiator in storage for two years

why do I do this

aye

That feel when just bought a CAI that fits perfectly into my engine bay and too much of a pussy to install it myself, but also fighting myself not to get jewed into an hour of labor work for $100 to install something so simple...

Having sex

my car

I've yet to ever replace a timing belt on an interference engine. I'm just terrified I'll fuck it up and destroy the engine.

everyone does, I don't really trust them all that much

This, I've tried it but just no. I don't mind paying the pros for body work.

Nice any pics of the paint job?

kek

Transmission
Transverse V6&V8 vans, done a head gasket replacement on one once, never will again
ECU
Wiring harness
A good paint job
Hahaha yep especially 90's era

I do everything myself because I am not retarded and am mechanically inclined enough to fucking learn shit I don't know how to do. If you don't do all your own work why are you on here? Doing everything yourself is part of the hobby, if you don't then you are not actually into cars.

I never did anything, just kept the fluids and air in it and let the mechanic do the rest.
Recently just decided to service it myself,
Changed the air filter, did the spark plugs.
halfway through doing the brake pads/flush at the moment.
Plan to do oil change, radiator flush.
Painted the rocker cover, brake calipers and engine strut.

>I don't dare check the thermostat
It's tucked away beneath the throttle and distributor

I only have an uneven gravel driveway so getting under the car is going to be a pain.