How come no one has moved in on the custom digital dash market?

how come no one has moved in on the custom digital dash market?

Other urls found in this thread:

dakotadigital.com/
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15507015/o-i-need-a-basic-obdii-scanner-to-read-the
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15536719/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This.
Even better, a computer software that would let me customize everything myself, and have it's own forums.

>What is Raspberry Pi

shit dude, we can create a car OS. Everything visible is customizable. Web browser, right next to music player and guages

>2k rpm recline
>60 mph speedometer
this is a mock up right, surely no car this slow exists

It's a lorry

Android radio and odb2 bluetooth connector can make a decent digital cluster. Same with any android tablet or phone. Using an app like torque you can design your own output format. I'm considering it for my integra when I upgrade the radio

Which theme for Torque is that?

ye just install gentoo

Digital clusters are disgusting, kill you are self

Probably laws n shit. They fucking require backup cameras now...

This one, right?

It exists, just be ready to pay 15k USD.

These already exist.

Now why doesnt someone make direct fit digital dashes?

hella expensive. think at least $3k.

Oooooh!

i wish they did. it would be pretty interesting.

Honda did it in the early 2000's.

Shieet
>lurks moar

>custom digital dash
>custom

>posts factory gauge cluster

You realize a digital cluster is customizable? Right?

There area lot of mods for these things.

Post any mods that Honda themselves have done.

Of course. But just because you can mod a Honda digital dash doesn't mean that Honda has "moved in on the custom digital dash market".

That's like claiming that Honda is moving in on the rear engine sports coupe market because it's possible to put an engine in the back of a civic hatchback.

You've clearly not understood what this thread is asking

What's odd is how few options for customization are actually available for this. I mean, it all just pixels and it's a 12+" display that's quite bright.

Audi needs to publish a developer's breakout kit. People could sell mods or 'wrappers'.

But I'm guess odo rollback would be a concern, and Germans are arrogant pricks anyway.

Some fagget would delete all their gauges in favor of a custom pot leaf background, then try to sue Audi when they crashed their car.

I was under the impression that since the roll out of OBD2, odometer information has been stored in the ECU?

>Open source dashboard software
>Set nav to Uncle Bob's house
>"Rich people are using this one weird trick to Bob 1000 uncles in ANONVILLE"
>Wat, no, fuck off
>"TRAFFIC WARNING DOWNTOWN IS FULL OF KEKS, SPICS AND RICERS, RECALCULATING"
>Goddammit, just shut up and play my music
>"Heeeeey-eeeeyeyeyey it's a party in the USAkrrrrrrSIEG HEIL!"
>Need new dash because of sudden bulletholes in old one

You would be correct.

If it is, then how would fucking around with the gauge cluster raise concerns about odometer rollback?

stack stack stack also makes custom digital clusters. $2.5k though, and probably doesn't come with a data logger out of the box.

>I've never heard of Dakota Digital, the post
They even do custom ones by request.

It shouldn't, but we have hacks that can easily wipe the odo data in the ECU now. It's so bad that the government is scrambling for ways to remedy / prevent it.

Only is it isnt a fucking little LCD screen. I want real gauges with modular customization and programming.

Is there an obd I solution to those digital gauges?

My brother and I are working on a center console for my Fiero currently. Eventually Will lead to custom gauges as well. Pic related is what it's looking like so far (ignore the hand drawn buttons for filler)

It says FH16 right there. A volvo. Any loud mouth knows this.

>"Rich people are using this one weird trick to Bob 1000 uncles in ANONVILLE"

Has science gone too far?

It's not as fluid and has a delay. It's great for data logging and general diagnostics but not so much for rapidly changing values like speed rpm manifold pressure and so on. If you rev aggressively it will be off by at least 1k rpm.

Its complicated, and would be too expensive since every install would have to be customized in order to provide any more detail than the stock gauge cluster.

Reading off of OBD2 like in has too much delay for things like RPM as said. However, it should be possible to read off of the factory gauge cluster loom, and then grab the rest off of OBD2 for the special shit like check engine and MPG readings. It's completely possible, but offering a gauge replacement kit for any car would have to be specific to one model, and there isn't enough demand to mass produce anything which is why things like and cost so much. It's simply just too expensive for what boils down to a visual mod, better spent on performance instead.

You going to do those with a Rasperry Pi or some other micro? It should be fairly easy so long as you don't try to be too artsy.

Of course the interfacing would be the hard part if you're doing A to D. I don't believe P-cars had OBD.

>a gauge replacement kit for any car would have to be specific to one model
Not necessarily.
You could just make a generic gauge cluster and a bunch of adapters for every model.
This of course is assuming that the gauge cluster is digital.

>he thinks obd2 isn't carrying the same data that his factory electronic gauges are displaying
A wired OBD2 adapter and a fast tablet are advisable though

that looks fucking awful

Of course OBD2 is carrying the same data, but any consumer reader has too much of a delay to be useful. Buy yourself any ELM237 reader along with the Torque app, and rev your car quickly while looking at the reading. It's at least a half second if not more, and the delay only grows larger if you're pinging more sensors. Which is exactly why I suggested hijacking the rpm reading from the factory loom, because accurate rpm readings are pretty important

>Its complicated, and would be too expensive since every install would have to be customized in order to provide any more detail than the stock gauge cluster.

That's why you can use bluetooth OBD2 to provide the additional data and display it elsewhere such as the backside of the visor which already has power. When you want to see it, flip the visor down.

Info on combinations are available in the archived Veeky Forums OBD2 threads along with other example Torque real time displays. Designing your color palette choices and clever placement of gauges is the hard part. With so many options it is confusing.

Other people get greedy for data and get rid of gauges or their circular or even square outlines. That lets them put a greater number of data displays closer together but also causes a cluttered look.

>how come no one has moved in on the custom digital dash market?
They have. They're called Dakota Digital. They even do custom clusters by order.
dakotadigital.com/

Any company that supplies one becomes lawyer bait whenever someone in an auto accident needs more money to pay for medical care or has other accident-related bills to pay. But when mods are furnished by the driver themselves, there's no lawsuit possible. So that's where the "market" is today. It's not like the car manufacturers don't know or want to. But look at how even an ignition switch generates billions of dollars of lawsuits. You can imagine how many billions of dollars bigger an information display error or failure of dashboard instruments will be. And they don't have to fail either. People will sue according to the "you can't prove it didn't fail" premise and then settle out of court for their free money.

>Other people get greedy for data and get rid of gauges or their circular or even square outlines. That lets them put a greater number of data displays closer together but also causes a cluttered look.

Past OBD2 buying threads are archived at:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15507015/o-i-need-a-basic-obdii-scanner-to-read-the

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15536719/

>My brother and I are working on a center console for my Fiero currently.
The display will need protection in a center console location when it's the confined area of a Fiero.

>Is there an obd I solution to those digital gauges?
You'd have to contact those programmer groups at their forums. But these days, everyone has their eyes on "selling out" to some big company willing to buy them out and then hire them as programmers to continue developing that product for their company. It's why a lot of people make "open source" or "freeware" but still retain rights on the materials. Open source doesn't mean open unlimited sales rights naturally.

Now your backseat drivers can also look at your OBD2 data displays. You can put a tablet mount on the back of both the driver and front passenger seats. If it's not displaying video, then it can be displaying OBD2 data.

pi would be too slow

maybe if you want your dash to update every couple seconds lol

> how non retards do this shit

I'm just wondering when there will be a clear cut "winner" combination in the DIY OBD2 bluetooth and android tablet market. Sooner or later, I was expecting to hear of the most popular combination of hardware devices/brands being used.

>They even do custom clusters by order.
But if they don't have a local chain shop everywhere, that means they depend on those car audio stores to do the electronics installs.

that thing is so fucking overpriced, and cheaply made.

How the fuck does the steering wheel turn?

They're still known for the best aftermarket digital gauges

Their stuff looks like shit straight out of the 80s.

Even the AEM garbage looks better.

The best right now is PLX

>The best right now is PLX
>don't offer any bolt-in digital clusters or custom digital clusters
opinion discarded

I'll make the logo

we can call it TwingoLink

>TwingoLink
>Not Twink
Waddafug, do I have to do everything around here myself?

so long as the logo references a first gen Renault Twingo, call it Twink if you want.

Just look at this twingo cancer. I hope you geeky fucks slowly die in a fire.

We love you

>that thing is so fucking overpriced, and cheaply made.

It seems more a remnant from the older days. But there's no incentive for some american maker to create an adaptable small display package to display OBD2 data on the dash or visor. All the expense would be wasted because some chinese copycat is always waiting to copy all the new things without payment of patent fees or software licensing. They'd just copy it and tweak it slightly and claim it was their original creation.

Lots of bright glowly flashy colors like on OP's picture only confuse my eye. I want information that can be seen in one quick glance. If I ever have to stare over 1.5 seconds and think about what I am looking at, then it is a failure as a dash gauge. Looking away from traffic at the dash and trying to decode flashy multicolored lights is nearly as distracting as texting on the smartphone.

I was thinking about doing this to my current beater 2002 Corolla by implementing Nixie tube speed indicators.

Is there really no custom digital dash market?

Great, then do me a favor leave this board forever.

No thanks. That would deprive you of your daily dose of adorable.

Examples of visors being tablet displays in customized cadillacs (SLAB cars).

you just know they would fuck it up
just look at the current situation with oem and after market stereos

>just look at the current situation with oem and after market stereos
It used to be that car manufacturers stuck to having double DIN size openings in the dash. But now there are too many custom-shaped dash openings and the stereo functions are mixed with control functions on the same touch screen. So replacing the factory head unit means losing those other car control functions.

>"1000 Bobs in MY dashboard?!"
>it's more likely than you think

bluetooth as a pretty awful delay
wifi would be a better solution

Audi and Volvo have a virtual cockpit.

By holding it and moving your hands in circular motions, I'd wager.
Or brit spess majik.

Best digital dash is lfas. Dont argue.

And this.

>How the fuck does the steering wheel turn?
You already know about the well-proven trackpad technology on laptops. The surface of the wheel senses the movement of your fingers.

B.bb.but the real invention is how the windshield wipers work. To activate the wiper fluid, a sensor is attached to your urethra. Whenever you piss, the windshield wiper fluid also sprays out onto the windshield. It's a real breakthrough technological invention.

Forgive me Father for I have commited the sin of looking into dat dash

>you just know they would fuck it up
>just look at the current situation with oem and after market stereos
If car manufacturers would only standardize on a specific location, but they don't and can't. If they had a predictable standard, the chinese would break patent/copyright and make items for it. Those cheap items would cut out the OEM chain's need to make profit to recoup the investments and lawsuit risks for that feature. But the chinese don't get any of that risk or cost.

Where's the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) for that wheel when trying to give more feedback fails. I guess I feel better when there is some mechanical linkage failsafe.

best bet is probably swapping one in. i want to swap something like pic related into my adub.

>redline at 4800

>"sporty" looking instruments

That looks like inside a Klingon ship.

The 2016 10th Gen Honda Civic with a higher trim have a full digital screen dash.

probably because its a pain in the ass

if you want the pic related look, you're going to need basically millions to start a plant to produce these panels.
segments are "hard coded" in the glass then a massive controller handles sending power to all the small segments.

and an normal LCD dash isnt going to have the same effect, thus fewer sales, thus no point.

PS: this dash looks fuckin sick in an 80s Shelby charger, future as fuck, my friend did the mod to his car and it just looks too fucking sweet.

kek that image

It would be neat if manufacturers standardized dash display areas with common type electrical connectors and physical grappling sockets to hold the display. All display areas can be custom in shape and size.

BUT since the connectors and physical mounts are the same type, various 3rd party (or OEM) can make up custom displays. Customers can then plug and play different displays into dash opening. Even though dash shapes are different, the 3rd party makers can simplay tool up different additional shaped panels to fill in any gaps because the physical grappling connectors are the same.

Kek those digits

If the lights inside the car are brighter than the lights outside the car, then night time driving becomes more hazardous. Big glowing nixie vacuum tube displays look nice in a retro way, but as a speedometer, I think it puts your night vision at risk in terms of spotting pedestrians.

>RacePakistan

>That looks like inside a Klingon ship.

Any starfleet-tier cockpits?

>Custom Software reads odometer
>Displays it with an offset

WAIT can you change the color of these?

no to my knowledge but I'm sure it's something you can ask them about. IIRC, they're only available in green or blue.

That blows, I was just thinking about it and they'd probably look shit in red anyway.

The digi dash shit is tough, if you don't capture that 80's aesthetic perfectly then you end up looking like some faggot ricer