Are Japanese cars actually more reliable than German cars? Any credible sources did research and shit on this?

Are Japanese cars actually more reliable than German cars? Any credible sources did research and shit on this?

yeah just go ahead and buy a German car.
nobody here cares about you loosing money.
buy that E-whatever and see for yourself

Toyota and Honda? Absolutely. They'll run forever and refuse to die.

Mazda? Mechanical reliable, but the body will rust enough that you'll want to scrap it anyway.

Nissan? Not unreliable, but not exceptionally reliable either, pretty average.

Mitsubishi and Subaru? Not really.

Actually I'm gonna buy a Subaru wrx soon but my buddy is telling me gti is better. So we got into a reliability debate. Just wondering if you Veeky Forumstists can help me out. Google sucked.

Get fucked dan

>but the body will rust enough that you'll want to scrap it anyway.

They fixed that some time ago

A GTI is "nicer" than a WRX but definitely not more fun or as fast. Aside from Porsche, Germans can't into making cars fun to drive. Golf's are numb and undramatic as can be.

are mitsu and subaru more reliable?
>fuck no
are mitsu and subaru cheaper to fix?
>fuck yes

I'd trust subaru over a new shitwagen any day.

Never said they wouldn't be. German car repair costs are pretty well documented.

Not arguing with you, just felt like it needed to be said.

On a side note: I've owned a 2004 evo 8, 2015 wrx, a 2003 m3, and a 2001 vr6. The 04 evo was the most reliable car out of that bunch surprisingly enough, between 90k-150k miles the only thing i had to do besides regular maintenance was change an 02 sensor. the m3 had subframe as well as vanos issues and was expensive as fuck. The 2015 wrx has compression problems within 30k miles. the vr6 didn't have any major problems, but it was just generally a piece of shit compared to the other cars I listed.
tl;dr please dont get a volkswagen

My friends GTI is on its 3rd Turbo.

I love how everyone shits on Mitsubishi calling them the Japanese Chrysler, yet somehow they're more reliable than the Japanese manufacturers not named Toyota or Honda

Volkswagens are the most generic car ever. They have the exterior stylish of a loaf of bread. Audi isn't any better. So bland and ugly. You'll be fixing some dumb shit on each of them every other week for absurd prices.

I completely agree. Anything outside of the evo is unreliable as fuck. Even the Evo X, which is what I now have is an unreliable piece of jap crap. The evo 8s and 9s are some of the most reliable tuner cars you can get imo (as long as you dont have the 6 speed trans). The X has a shitty aluminium block and I already blew that thing to hell within the first 40k, I would get it sleeved but i need to DD it so it makes no sense.

*anything outside the evo made by mitsu I mean.

>I completely agree
>Anything outside of the Evo is unreliable as fuck
Nigga wut, that is
Wait wut

You're still being contradictory

I've never had experience with Evos and have heard that they're fickle bitches that require more maintenance than normal sports cars, almost on the level of European cars
But I've driven Mirages, Diamante's, Galants, and Endeavours and none of them have had one issue, sure the paint quality sucks and so does the interiors, but they're better than their American counterparts, save for the paint
Plus it's not like Mazda never used shitty paint, oohh noooo

Don't get the worldwide perception that German cars are something special.

Sure if you're going Porsche or a 100k plus Mercedes this doesn't apply to you. But any German car I've ever owned was shit after 100 km. I've owned, Jetta, golf, cla, a4, a6.

GTI is easily the most overrated "cheap performance" car in the world.

New ones cost close to 40 K if you get the performance pack. And it's still Fwd. You literally cannot make this shit up. How does VW keep getting away with this?

Really? My GTI is a miracle then, the most I have had to replace is a couple of hoses and a few fuses because the previous owners fucked up on installing a sound system.

I drive a scion TC, I'm at 170k miles and have never even bothered changing the plugs, belt, I ran it 30k on one oil change (it was synthetic, but still) and mostly haven't looked under the hood since buying it.

Toyota > You

Sorry I'm at work and my mind is all over the place. You're right, I honestly haven't had any experiences besides the evo from mistu so I'm in no place to talk. I was just under the impression that the only car that mitsu produced that wasn't plagued with problems was the evo. Kind of ironic that I'm making assumptions about Mitsus when I'm trying to prove theyre really not as bad as people say hahaha.

They do require more maintenance than normal cars, but as a tuning platform I feel that a 500whp evo is less of a pain in the ass to maintain than a 500whp vr6, and it's quite a bit easier to get to that level of power. They are finicky cars, but for the most part they're very easy to work on. You'll get the occasional boost leak, 02 sensor, transfercase issues (at around 100-200k miles), etc. But I think people make them out to be worse than they really are. They're not unreliable by any means. I constantly hear people say about how they need to spend half the year in the shop, and with my experience of having owned two I don't think thats at all accurate. My 8 never had a single issue that costed me over $200, and I drove that bitch to 150k.

ANYWAY
I really don't know why mitsu has such a bad rep, they are undoubtedly more reliable than a lot of cars out there.

What's your vin number?

9bwde61j634058839
I know it's been in an accident before.
Also one recently because it was hit while parked.
>pic related.

Your coils will be due soon. I have found in two 4 cylinder applications one turbo and one n/a that electrode wear is a tight .002" or a very sloppy .001" fwiw

my polo is almost just as reliable as my wanker,3.8l btw not a diesel
neither broke down on me,ever
it just boils down to how much beating a car can handle and how expensive upkeep is,most cars will serve you well if you take above average care of them,exceptions exist ofc

my first car was a 98 535i which was fairly reliable mechanically

I think the reason why Mitsubishi has a bad rep is because of the same thing as as old man tried to tell me about Hyundai:
>Car appeals to lower income consumers
>lower income consumers want shitbox that isn't American that they can afford
>lower income consumers tend to not maintain their vehicles and expect them to run without said maintenance because dey Japanese n shiet
>Car breaks and lower income consumers say on the internet, to their friends and family, anyone with a set of ears really that it is junk and said brand is junk
>Car in hands of responsible owners regularly make it to 300k miles with regular maintenance
>No one wants to buy used cars from said company because they were owned by lower income individuals who run them into the ground
>Car brand gets shit reputation and sales go down

>vin number
>vehicle identification number number

How did your wrx have compression problems so fast. I've only got like 28k on mine but it fucking runs nice.

Nissan has diminished the last few years 13 Altima is just complete shit.

Thank the HUEfrog for that

What?
Subaru has been on the top for a lot of years now.(At least for their normie cars)
Nissan is half French and it has been showing in the recent years.

Isn't 40k Focus RS territory?

Yeah, this is why manufacture reliability info seems to be all over the places. Some places uses data from dealerships which kinda evens it out.

What makes Altima shit?
In what way does it show?

>Subaru has been on the top for a lot of years now
AHAHAH above toyota? Lexus? Honda? AHAHAHAHAHAH

GTR lasts for about 2 months.

Exhaust manifold cracked at 30k because of "heating to quickly". Both front wheel bearings replaced at 50k. Nissan customer service Shit having to fight for repairs despite in warranty coverage. Bought it brand new because I didn't want to deal with issues while I fix up my dream care. I've spent more time with this car than my project. Just a Shit show.

To

So basically avoid Nissan?

I'm in the market for a new whip. Something around 10 to 15 K. Was actually considering looking at Nissans. Guess I should avoid them.

Should have bought an Accord/Civic/Camry/Corolla

Nissan a shit

Yeah lesson learned

My e39 540i will run forever if the tensioner and guides don't commit sudoku. Then I gotta blow 800 bucks on the kit to fix it.

Other than that it's all the little shit in the interior the breaks
>fucking Cupholders

Timing chain never broke?
How about the water pump?

Timing chain lasts forever. heard the water pump shits itself. Hasn't happened to mine yet

>t. 234k

I've owned nothing but Japanese cars, with the exception of 1 Korean car, and 1 German car.

There's a reason I've sworn off the other 2. The German car had back to back expensive repairs. The Korean car was just shitty quality.

If you look at consumer reports, there are two brands that stand out for reliability. Toyota and Honda, as well as their luxury counterparts (Lexus/Acura). Subaru is a distant third, and everything else I didn't even bother to look at.

People always cite the high strung sports models as examples, but never the base model shitbox Lancers, or Colts. How unreliable can those really be?

The more boring and simple a car is, the more reliable generally.

Toyota is worst in segment almost all the time for everything but reliability because boring cars.

This.

Unless you're rich and can comfortably afford repairs and shit don't buy anything but a Honda or Toyota.

>Subaru

Hard to believe, m8.

Beat my Hyundai.

Front wheel bearings on Veloster blew up at 20k miles.

Other shit wrong was just frivolous. Trunk latch died at 25k. Audio speakers vibrate and distort even when not listening to Lil Wayne. Silver-painted plastic trim in interior scratches too easy. Stock Kumho tires barely lasted 20k miles before they became iffy. Glass roof panels have off untraceable squeaking when going over 30mph and the roof is open.

There are so many positives though compared to the 95 Explorer 2Dr O came from though so....

>boring

Oh god, that grille is replicating itself

Its literally the first predator grill Lexus to actually look sexy af.

I just don't like the shape and how it looks like its jaw is dropping to the ground. It's just got this open angry mouth look to it like it wants to eat my babies

I HATE IT

They were copying these fuckers and made it their own.

>Nissan? Not unreliable, but not exceptionally reliable either, pretty average
Nigger what, my dad had a Nissan pickup he drove for like 300k miles. Sold it at ~750k miles and last he knows of it was still going strong. Since then he's had an 01 Xterra with 270k on it that still drives beautifully.

WRX? That's my GTI

Well, up until a couple years ago Mitsubishi was Chrysler owned, and suffered from the same problem Chrysler had: the cars were unreliable as hell. After they split, Bishis still had problems to the point that the company almost went under. Nissan ended up buying them out, but the new Mitsubishis I've driven are still built like shit. I still love the hell out of the Evo V/VI (they've gotten too heavy and big since then), but I would never buy a Mitsubishi.

As for German cars, they require more maintenance than most other cars, and they still are prone to nasty problems. There's a reason most people lease German cars instead of buy them.

my bad grabbed the wrong post was for

i also have this question here's a (You) now tell me about the compression problems