This is a completely serious question from someone who doesn't have much of a background in mechanical engineering

This is a completely serious question from someone who doesn't have much of a background in mechanical engineering.

Pic related weighs about 150 pounds and produces more than 180 horsepower at the crank with 76 lb/ft of torque at the wheel. It also revs to 15k RPM.

Why aren't they using these in cars? I understand more torque is needed - so why not just use two?

And don't give me this shit about >hurr durr you have to rev it high to get that hp/torque

No shit, retard. THat is the point. Some of us want high revving engines

I refuse to drive anything less than a v8

Bike engines aren't built to last hundreds of thousands of miles. Also, fuel economy, emissions, towing or just hauling cargo in general. I have seen motorcycle swaps into Kei cars and things though, they look like fun,

It's not all about high performance. With that level of precision you have to trade another area in engineering which is reliability and cost.

While it's all good on the charts, it doesn't translate well into consumerism.

Spoken like a true nobike. Name a single mechanism within motorcycle engines that would make them less suitable for hundreds of thousands of miles than any other conventional car engine.

At the wheel of what?

That's like 55-50 at the wheels of the car which is enough to haul like two adults and a child were the car to be

You're clearly the first person ever to think of this, write an email to honda/toyota they'll give you a yacht. Hell they'll give your whole family yachts.

google formula 1000

>car spends life near/at redline because that's where it makes power and it needs every bit of that power to get up a hill

Tow a car with your bike and come back and ask this question again. I'm sure the weight of the car engine and your bike will compensate for the lack of humans int he car.

thats only viable in ultra light weight cars as in race cars

otherwise in the modern car

its not going to be as reliable in a car
its going to cost more
its going to require more maintenance
its going to be horrible to drive most likely

The rider.

Because Motorcycle engines are engineered to push the weight of a motorcycle and not a whole car. Thats why they are so light. They dont last very long when swapped into cars (premature gearbox wear).

b8

>Revs insanely high
>No torque
>High horsepower
>Low weight
>"Just use two": 13B becomes 26B.

OP go buy an RX7

retarded bait

>250 lb/ft

>Why aren't they using these in cars?
1) lol no torque
2) shit power band
3) durability a shit

Drive train losses
Cars are fucking heavy

Thank you. That is the first reasonable response in this shit show of a thread.

Bike engines are air cooled. They can afford to be because bikes have so much airflow.
More revs = more heat = more cooling required.

Also, bikes chew through oil way faster than cars, and take different oil. Bikes are usually enthusiast toys, cars have to cope with no maintenance and no thought whatsoever for the vehicle's well-being.

>Bike engines are air cooled.
What world are you living in?

Well, valves in the ss crotchrockets usually need servicing about every 30. Also, having such little torque at low rpm could be a problem, but i guess super short gears could multiply the torque a lot.

Perhaps a stroked busa or zx14 motor, with slightly lowered compression, in a 2000 pound car, with a first gear that hits like 20 or 30 would be doable.

The real question is, with the r1m doing 200hp bone stock, why arent NA 4 cyls in cars doing like 300 to 400? Imo, there are a few factors. Compression is 13:1, much more than any street car, even dohc v8, could handle without race fuel. Second, youd need to rev crazy high on bigger displacement, and be expected to go 200k miles with nothing but oil changes. Third, it takes large, free flowing exhaust and intake ports in the cylinder heads, which naturally makes you lose low end power. Sure, peak power at 5 or 6k wont lose much low end compared to 4.5k, but trying to make peak power at 13 or 15k with cams and intake manifold to match? Definitely gonna be down low issues.

Like i said, go light enough with a short enough first, and maybe a rpm stall/high idle limit and it could work. Still, revving to 17k stock means special valvetrain and frequent servicing for most people putting lots of miles on their bike. There could be a compromise, maybe 50k service intervals, stroke a busa or use a special big bore block with sleeves, rev it to 10k or so. I just think most people would expect it to be some super light performance go kartx like a bac mono, ktm, polaris 3 wheeler or w/e