Is wrapping your exhaust a meme?

Is wrapping your exhaust a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=OeT9x4lv31Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes

Take off the heat shield and get a hot-air intake for mad fucking gains

why would you wrap your exhaust? are there other parts in your car that are absorbing the heat to such an extent you need to insulate them?

Yep, same as condoms. Doesn't do anything except make your penis rust prematurely.

>reduce heat by wrapping your pipes in an insulator

this is fucking bullshit snake oil.

It doesn't hurt, but you're not gonna see any serious gains.

The ambient temperatures can't be that affected by the exhaust that it somehow stifles your engine of air and reduces performance.

>not believing in DEI's pulverized lava rock technology
m8

this is as stupid as painting your intercooler black

its called pumice and its a generic heat wrap fabric I use on my condenser tubes in my chemistry lab

>not pulverized® lava® rock® technology®®

no thanks

but it looks better
especially on a bike

Don't be so sure. A fabricated header with a heatshield keeping the heat in when you wring it out = cracked headers. OEMs didn't use heat shields for performance, it's for emissions during start/warm up. If you want to do a sick emissions mod to get an A+ on your smog test go for it, but it's useless if not bad for performance.

>he really thinks I'll believe old lady callous remover will make my car go vroom more

gotta reduce that heat soak

Well thats, that. the science is settled

It will work, not as well as they claim but it will block some heat.

HOWEVER

It causes moisture to collect underneath the wrap and over time that will cause your exhaust manifold to crack.

Its kinda a pro/con thing. If you are trying to squeeze every last bit of performance you could out of a car it would help in reducing underhood temps, But you will be replacing manifolds every couple years.

>wrapping exhaust
>not wrapping everything with heat reflective tape

why does dumb shit like this always make me laugh

Veeky Forumstism

only when combined with a reverse flow head

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it keeps heat from getting in the air intake.. by not letting it dissapate

higher intake temperature can result in a more even atomisation of fuel
but only if you do that kind of thing deliberately
not much point in charge density if its not even and contributes to hot spots or pre detonation

Nah. It allows the hot exhaust gasses to be scavenged more efficiently. Flows from hot to cold.

Hot exhaust gases ===> Cat
Gets your car running more efficiently sooner

In turbo applications, as the valve opens, and the exhaust gases expand out of the chamber, the hotter the charge, and faster they expand, and the faster the turbine will spool.

More heat, faster gas expansion, more power

ruin your headers over a long period of time.

Cast iron manifolds: no, will make them rust.

if turbo and stainless headers: Worth it to keep temps down in general
N/A and stainless: won't do much, might keep heat off crucial parts of needed.

ex. my battery and fuse box are very close to my exhaust headers, so if i were to get aftermarket headers that required me to remove the heat shield separating the two, it would be worth it for me to wrap them to keep heat off the electrical components.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=OeT9x4lv31Y
Turbo blanket, but same idea. contain the heat and direct it where it should be going instead of just letting it heat up the ambient area under the hood.

>on a bike.
Shit thats actually a good idea for a dirt bike. Even the best of us have fucking scarred up ankles.

It depends on the car design. It's especially useful for turbo cars where the exhaust is close to the intercooler. It can cause premature wear through rusting and cracking of shitty manifolds due to heat cycle stress. I did it on my car because the factory setup is hot as shit and melted my factory plastic intercooler pipes.

It just moves the heat further down the exhaust. And they can accelerate rust if they get wet and your headers aren't stainless.

A better solution is to bettter vent your engine bay.

well, it isolates heat..where's the problem?

>not wrapping your cast iron manifolds
>not getting SERIOUS GAINS
>+40hp

or to spend the dosh and go with ceramic coated headers

>getting header wrap wet

Sure it can.
Want to get better mpgs? Move your air intake as close as possible to the exhaust manifold. (Also kills power).
It's the #1 recommended "hypermileage" mod.

Old muscle cars you wrap the long tube headers because the heat destroys the starter. This looks like a waste.

My ignition coil overheats if I take the wrap off the headers

Wheres your proof of evidences? Looks like tinfoil faggotry to me.

You need to use certain grades of stainless steel as wrapped 304 will rust through

I wrapped my exhaust headers on my 2001 Prelude, it was an easy job once you unbolt it from the engine. I wrapped and sprayed it and it was a decent mod; noticeably dropped my engine bay temps and you can touch the wrapped headers without fusing your flesh onto the pipes. I also had a CAI so it also helped with intake temperatures.

Overall, an ezpz mod and worth the $25.

>not having COP

How so?

>not having a carburetor

A few years ago I got a set (v8 fbody) of pacesetter painted stainless long tube headers. I should have gotten coated instead of painted but whatever, the paint burned off within 3 heat cycles. When I put them on I deleted cats and rear o2 sensors and the front o2s had to be relocated from their stock position further down the exhaust stream because thats where the bung was.

I've been having problems with the oxygen sensors not heating up as much as they should because (I guess) the exhaust has cooled down so much by the time it reaches the o2s that they can't get to operating temp, and it's a wider pipe which slows down the flow, I also do a lot of low rpm driving (sub 1500rpm) which slows down gases even more.

I've heard that the wrap collects moisture and causes the pipes to rust but I'd like to do this to try to get more heat back to the o2s.

Can I paint the headers again with some high temp stuff and then wrap them or would that present some other unforseen problem?

On something that is carburated and has a tight engine compartment it is important, if the exhaust is bare your underhood temp tends to run hotter and can cause heat soao and vapor lock, also it can destroy parts in close proximity such as starters or plug wires....

I don't understand keeping exhaust hotter, i just always understood wrapping bare headers to keep too much heat from building under the hood and burning up parts.