What does Veeky Forums think about old SUVs...

What does Veeky Forums think about old SUVs? I'm getting a Ford Explorer 1995 XLT as a hand-me-down from my dad who's sidegrading to an Escape I think. Is it any good off-road? It's an Auto with no rust visible. Looks sorta like pic related but green

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_kcmH_tD7m8
youtu.be/dCTsJwtqwVM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Second Gen Exploders are GOAT

Decent offroad actually, proved you have good tires

provided*

Had a Limited edition. Pretty GOAT

>1995 ford explorer
>old SUV

get yourself a fucking scout international or jeep wagoneer, son

Agreed, that motherfucker has run since 1996 imported to spic country Dominican Republic with high hurricane occurencies and low maintenance happening to it. Engine block had to be replace since my dumbass uncle did some shady electric work and blew it
Alright thanks, do they need to be lifted? I see really nice gap already that should be more than enough for mounds of dirt and shit.
Relatively old mate, shit runs like butter and the V6 still roars when you put the hammer down

211k on my '94 explorer and no end in sight. Been my most reliable vehicle to date.

It's great because you have the unkillable OHV 4.0, not the shit sack SOHC

Not a 5.0, but the next best thing.

Yeah, I think this baby will last until kingdom come. Any fixes to play my shitty weeb music tho? I have seen tape to aux adapters, is this my only choice if i don't want to rip out the GOAT radio?

Had a tape to aux in my first car, worked well enough. Also consider fm transmitters, but NOT the battery operated ones, make sure it plugs in.

I wouldnt bother lifting desu, just pick good lines if your offroad, more of a challenge anyway

Alright! Thanks user, I'm pumped now. Can't wait to get it to get it nice and running since my dad's getting a huge sum of money he'll pay for all the repairs (has been in 1 major crash and many minor ones) to the chassis and engine.
Thanks for the reply senpai, I'll take your word for it

31's fit no problem stock, should be more then enough for some light offroading and daily driving.

to clarify the SUV's front end has been totaled in the past but it got repaired for free since we won the case against a lady and her husband who ran a red light. Safety is great as well, my dad is overweight and the airbags didn't work but he still didn't get a scratch

I fit 31's on mine without a lift, ill scrape a little when the backs flex into the rear wheel wells, but that doesn't happen too often unless im doing something stupid.

Make sure it runs well, and is mechanically sound, before you start modifying it tho.

right, with storms happening every fucking second here and the roads being shitty where my grandma lives I only need to be half-comfy while riding and probably fooling around near mountains.
I don't get what 31's mean, I assume rims but thats way too fucking big wheel width? (sorry English isn't my first language)

31x10.5x15 is a super common size here in the US
265/75/15 is it's metric equivalent.

Even with 4 bald tires and super sticky clay a Exploder will dig it's way through.

youtu.be/_kcmH_tD7m8

31" being the size of the tire, or the diameter of it rather

nice squat very cheeki breeki
I see now, I'm pretty new to Veeky Forums but I think I wouldn't want thicc tires or skinny tires on an offroader. I'll think about it since any car sound other than the good kind is painful to me. that splorer in the vid sounded a bit weird but still pretty cool to see it dig around that much
ok, thanks user

Explorers are good but crashed vehicles are shit. Don't do it. Just buy a clean 5.0 for a few grand.

not to be rude but didn't you read? i can't avoid it, it's a hand me down and it has been restored since the crash. what my dad wants is for it to be clean since it's a bit beat up atm

HEKTIK
E
K
T
I
K

31/265's aren't that big nor skinny, and they fit perfectly fine.

When it's time for tires I'd go that route. Though stock 235/75/15's should do ya fine.

I also used to have a 4.0 OHV 5sp, it was a beast aswell.

youtu.be/dCTsJwtqwVM

It's never perfect after a crash. I'd refuse if I had the money to buy something myself. If not then I guess i'd live with it.

thats the thing boi, Its my first car since I have no money to even get myself indebted into some new car bullshit. It'll do for getting from Point A to Point B
C O M F Y T O W T R U C K

These were such good looking SUV's

thats a great way to crack those paper thin factory heads.
...only flaw of the 2nd gen explorer

Almost as good as destroying the timing chain cassettes of the SOHC ...

First car was a '99 explorer sport v6.

>transmission died 2 months after I bought it and my broke 16 year old self was out $2k

:^(

I concur
roasted
I feel your pain, this bastard once started fucking up the distribution and mixed water and gas which created a muddy liquid that leaked into the trans. Had to stay 3 months in the shop until my dad got the money and the part shipped

Agreed. Nothing screams 90s like those round ass explorers.

Go back another decade & get a Bronco, K5, Ramcharger, any of the Jeeps from that era, etc.

>But user...they're so hard to find

Then look harder. They're out there. Explorers are the time when SUVs turned into 4 door family cuck wagons. If you want a real SUV, then you gotta go back to the previous gen.