What is the purpose and/or function of plastic engine covers?

What is the purpose and/or function of plastic engine covers?

Pretty
Reduce noise

Noise cancellation, Cooling, and becuase modern engines look like Medusa's head when you take the covers off.

press photos. why do you think everything with a screen is glossy when it leaves fingerprints everywhere?
noise reduction
air ducting

Why don't they just design better looking engines?

because physics dictates where parts go, not looks.

But the Italians can do it

that design only works with longitudinal high angle V configured engines

Working on a modern engine

So millennials never bother wrenching

it's powered by pixies and Engineering. You don't need to know how it works, just buy it and go back to your arts degree

It sure fucking makes me want to become a terrorist

Well, In the case of your image because that Lexus is a luxury car that is supposed to be quiet and comfortable, so the cover helps to isolate the noise.

Also since it's a Lexus you are not going to ever need to do anything to the engine EVER.

cover up all the ugly pipes
makes it easier for normies to find where the fluids go

to make the buyers of new cars think the engine is somehow black magic so they don't work on them and instead take them to dealers so they pay more for repairs

always remember to refill your airbox

Looks, and money. Any practical benefits could be attained by attaching the things to the hood instead of the engine, and that would allow you easier access to the engine, but manufacturers don't want you not spending money at the dealership for maintenance.

Imagine if the average lexus buyer looked at a naked engine with wires and hoses and shit exposed, they'd probably take it to the dealership or call jd powers to cry.

Trust me. You don't want to look at an H6.

>base model honda civic now starting at $50,000

>all those exposed hoses, reservoirs, and cables

Not the same aesthetic.

Still looks like shit.

>says engine looks like shit
>posts a stupid ohv carbed boat anchor with retarded manifold

I actually do. please

Aerodynamics.
Insulation.
Sound insulation.
Stops normies from getting at the cylinder head.

Now stop making this thread.

to fuck mechanics and make normies go to the dealer

Looks fine to me

If a mechanic is fucked over by a few plastic clips holding the cover down then he shouldn't be a mechanic

>how to tell when someone has never had to fight with plastic clips

If you have the right equipment they're not bad, or you just monkey them out and replace them.

Are you a gorilla?

Even then, in it's better form, it's still covered with shrouds.

My motorcycles are a boxer twin (BMW) and a longitudinal 90 degree V twin (Guzzi). I like boxers, but the Subaru flat six looks like garbage without the shroud.

OTOH, my H6 does sound like a Porsche. Sort of. In my mind.

This. Once you have the right tool life is easy.

Fucks over Walmart techs because management won't buy us any new tools, nor are we supposed to bring our own.

that's not a file, this is a file

what about