Need some advice Veeky Forums, calling for your questionable opinions

Need some advice Veeky Forums, calling for your questionable opinions.

[skip this is if you don't care about backstory]

GF got her license a year ago. SF Bay Area. I gave her my old banged up Volvo. It wasn't in good shape back then and it's on life support now. Horn and e-brake don't work, leaks coolant and oil, probably won't pass it's next smog check and if it does it's only good for VAVR so we can get $1k for it. I just can't in good conscience sell it to anyone without full disclosure and I don't think anyone would buy it knowing how much is wrong.

[/backstory]

Anyway looking for a newer car. Needs to be.
-3K or less. Ideally ~2k.
-A/T.
-Average 20 MPG as a bare minimum.

So a shitbox (Corolla/Civic) would be ideal and they're definitely top of the list.
But here's the catch. She really digs the idea of owning something vaguely sporty, so massive bonus points for something like a Miata and one option that caught my eye was the 4th gen Prelude. I'm definitely seeing them in the 3k range, especially with haggling.
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5892418379.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5905734777.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5890015580.html
Are these worth consideration? I've heard nothing but good things from the people who owned them and I'm sure a lot of that is with M/T, but are the A/T versions completely pointless? Do they blow up A/Ts constantly? Are they time-bombs? What would I look for if this idea isn't completely retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5875289825.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5881567073.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5904024754.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5882982914.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/5884002657.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5864717944.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5906573711.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Honda automatics were a bit problematic in the early 2000s.

>automatic

Cant go wrong with the Prelude, finding that hasnt been thrashed by the fast n furious crowd will be the problem. Look at the Toyota Celica, and mazda 6 as well.

Also considering the 11th gen Ford Thunderbird. They are cheap as chips, RWD, V8 power and look pretty easy to wrench on. Mileage isn't actually all that bad at 19 MPG which is still better than our current Volvo, but JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST shy of the 20 MPG mark.

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5875289825.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5881567073.html

Really it's 90s Vaporwave Aesthetics and V8 power on demand. She's used to being able to play with ~175 HP, albeit on a 2 ton land barge.

>Celica
Good call. Not as powerful but hey as long as she THINKS it's fast she'll love it.
sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5904024754.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5882982914.html
>Mazda 6
Do you mean MX 6?
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/5884002657.html
Yeah, I have tried to teach her but she just doesn't really commit. With her daily bumper to bumper gridlock commute it would probably be more of a nuisance so I can't really blame her. If I got her a manual she'd start bumming rides off co-workers again.

The MX-6 is an underrated gem, especially the V6. One of the best sounding V6 engines ever made imo.

Also have a look at the Ford Probe, it's the same car but has popups.

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5864717944.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5906573711.html
More sleeper than sporty, but I managed to get around 25mpg in my '96 no matter how I drove. No attention from the police either.

She really digs the way the Probe looks (and isn't put off by the name), but I heard they had the Vulcan V6. Basically same motor and A/T as the Taurus. Wouldn't that be a problem?

I genuinely can't find any for sale in running condition either, which might be the answer to that question.
Not sure she would dig the aesthetic, it's also kind of big. One of her complaints with the Volvo was the all-around length of the car. That interior does look really comfy and I bet she'd like that if I could only get her to sit in it.

The first gen Probe used the Vulcan, but the 2nd gen used Mazda's KLDE.

seconding mx-6. Also recommending protege wagon. They had a huge enthusiast following back in the early 2000s soc there are likely plenty of cheap parts for ripping the touge.

if you can find a 1.8 v6 Mx-3, the 2.5V6 from the mx-6 bolts right in.

195hp+tiny little mid 90s import subcompact hatch=a fuckign blast.

>195hp
If you can find a JDM KLZE or built KLDE/KLG4, that is.
The regular USDM/EUDM KLDE made about 170, which is still plenty of fun.

And the 1.6 version can be swapped to the 1.8l BP or BP-T, which has a whole load of options available as well since it was used in the MX-5/Miata.

I still can't find any in a/t that run and aren't falling apart. At least not near the bay. Both of the MX6es I found seem OK, although I'd take the one for 2k from the dealer. It looks like it's in nice shape.
She's dead-set anti-wagon. I don't understand why. 2-door hatch yes, 4-door absolutely not, never, no exceptions.

She actually completely 100% hated Subaru until she found out they also make Legacy and Impreza Sedans.

It's a real shame because I love wagons and it would be more practical (in case she has to haul something) but GF is in the firm opinion that anything with 4 doors and a liftback is for pathetic soccer moms. Even if it's a WRX STI. I've tried to argue about it, but it's like arguing to a brick wall.

Other than that she loves the way the Protege sedan looks and it's at the top of her list to check out.

First off, those are all 5th gen preludes.
Second, the automatic transmission on the preludes are known to fall apart.

Good luck finding a prelude that hasn't either been beat to shit or had badly done mods.
However if you can find a clean one they are fantastic cars.

>5th/4th gen
Whoops, you're right I got those mixed up.
>AT failure
That's kinda what I figured. Any early signs of tranny failure I can spot if I'm checking one out?

>Any early signs of tranny failure I can spot if I'm checking one out?
Honestly, I don't know. My prelude is a manual ;^)

Fair enough. I figured there might be some specific warning light like the "AT OIL TEMP" light Subies have and if it glows for a certain time after startup it could indicate the transmission is having trouble, or some specific thing like that and that being a Prelude enthusiast you might know of it.

What Volvo? How many miles? Why not fix it? It could be easy shit.

1998 S90.
190k, valve seat failure, PCV plugged up, metal shavings in A/T, 1qt per ~500 mi oil consumption, rapid coolant leak (1gal/500mi), front suspension creaks and squeaks, steering bias, random electrical issues, horn doesn't work, e brake doesn't work, clearcoat trashed, paint flaking off, some rust starting, seats ripped and don't adjust anymore, fuel gauge broken, dents and scuffs everywhere.

Fixing would require practically tearing it down to the frame and rebuilding everything. It's much easier to scrap and replace. Car is a good ~8/10 on the hooptie scale.

>I am become a normie
>destroyer of Volvos
pls go an never come back