Would you buy a DOHC Corvette with better cooling, steering, and quality of materials?

Would you buy a DOHC Corvette with better cooling, steering, and quality of materials?

So like a Cadillac XLR but actually good?

So like a Nissan GTR?

that's what the gtr is for

>DOHC Corvette

Yeah, remember how good that was?

>I want a Corvette but I want it to be heavier, less reliable, and slower

Yeah, I definitely would buy an SLS if I had the money,

>less reliable, and slower
They could outsource the engine if they are not up for it

Pushrods aren't better or worse, just different. I'd rather car makers be different rather than being the same. Let the Vette keep its pushrods.

That's whats wrong with cars these days.
Engineering is a science and science tends towards the best solution but customers are stupider than engineers so they want something that is retarded (like crossovers) for retarded reasons.
Marketing indulges customers and engineers are forced to create piles of shit that can be offloaded onto stupid people for illogical reasons.

Don't post about how the industry works until you've worked in it - Jiffy Lube doesn't count.

Does development of fuel systems count?

>DOHC Corvette

Already been done.

It proved to be wildly expensive at the time costing almost twice as much as the base Corvette.

Wow so car makers could half the price of any car by just going pushrod?
Learn something new every day.

>Would you buy a Corvette with better cooling, steering, and quality of materials?
Sure, if I had the money, and it didn't complete ruin it's pricepoint of being pretty much the fastest car below 100K USD. I'd prioritise reliability first and foremost.

The XLR would've been awesome, had they just offered it with a solid LS3/7/9 lineup.

The LT5 of the C4 ZR1's was a bit of a mutt. The cylinder heads were designed by Lotus, the engine was based on the LT1 350, and the engines were built by Mercury Marine by hand for GM.

Sweet jesus that looks fucking erotic.. actually looks better than the engine bay of some Italian sports cars in my opinion.

Pushrod weight and cost savings do not apply to inline engines - so that's already a majority of the market that's gone.

Which leaves DOHV V engines - which have a lot of development behind them. Moving from pushrods to DOHC (and from DOHC to pushrods) takes massive amounts of resources, which are going to be calculated into the consumer price. When you let a small shop in Britain do it for you, you can keep development costs down - but you'll have to spread them across a much smaller range of cars, hence the massive price increase on the C4 ZR1.

Moving your V engines (back) to pushrods would not be a smart move in three conditions:
>You're worried about emissions
>You're displacement-limited
>You're worried about high RPM reliability
Notice that every single Euro and Japanese manufacturer has to deal with the first and almost always with the second. By having lower displacement, they effecitvely need more RPM for identical power outputs, so there goes point number three. This leaves just the US Big Three to use pushrods - with Ford moving to higher-RPM operation, spearheaded by the Voodoo after two decades of development on the Modular platform. This leaves GM and Mopar.

Theoretically, Toyota COULD go with a pushrod V8 for their big trucks, since they mainly aim for the US market (or the EU market as MURRICA-mobiles), but it'd mean big investments on a new platform when they've got a perfectly servicable V8 right now.

Pic related - similarly sexy intake manifold.

>Theoretically, Toyota COULD go with a pushrod V8 for their big trucks, since they mainly aim for the US market (or the EU market as MURRICA-mobiles), but it'd mean big investments on a new platform when they've got a perfectly servicable V8 right now.

That Tundra v8 is not "serviceable" its been unchanged since release while the US big 3 have moved and improved. That Toyo motor does only one thing good, and thats sound. Less torque and way shittier mpg than any of the v8 domestics. Ecoshit is not even... I mean fuck you Ford for that bullshit marketing scam.

>Wow so car makers could half the price of any car by just going pushrod?

For the LT5, GM commissioned Lotus (then owned by GM) to design the engine. The production of the engine was contracted to Mercury Marine who would shit the engines 700mi from their OK plant to the Corvette plant in KY. This cost GM some overhead which was probably reflected in the price of the ZR-1. However the ZR-1 also featured upgrading braking, steering, and active ride control further increasing the MSRP of the car.

Also, the LT5 likely aided in the development of the LT1 when it replaced the old L98. Borrowing some tricks learned in the LT5, the LT1 was able to increase horsepower up to 300hp all the while being developed and assembled internally at GM.

The LT1 came after the LT5 and shares nothing with it. Originally the DOHC LT5 was going to be the base for the gen 2 V8 with the ZR1 engine, MR C5 transverse LT5, and a baby LT5 for the Fbody and Impala. But the GM killed the Corvette, LT5 program, and tried to take the Fbody and Bbody FWD. When the Corvette and Fbody were going to continue into the 90s they had to scramble to get a new engine on the cheap and the LT1 was the result.

The LT5 was good for the time. What killed it was GM wanted to use the same 4.4 bore machines as the current small block compared to the 4.55 bores it was supposed to have. 375-400hp was pretty good for the time. Series 3 engines were going to have 475hp and the TT MR engine over 600hp.

I normally go on /k/ and /pol/, have driven a '15 Z51 Stingray vette and enjoyed it, but have yet to drive a GT-R.

That said, the spergfests that always ensue on Corvette or GT-R threads amuse me to no end. Keep it up

The C7 ZR1 will kick the WeebT-R's ass.

if it doesn't blow up maybe

>DOHC

Why give up the power density of the pushrod V8? It's a more compact design keeping the cebter of gravity lower while still putting out good power.

Mechanical pleb here.
If you have DOHC on a V engine is it really quad overhead cams? Because 2 for each bank?

Yeah, dual cams per bank means 4 total.

Sounds cool.
Sounds bulky too. The heads on V engines must be gay AF.
Is the exhaust side of each side facing outward? Isn't there limited space in between the banks for intake piping?

It is bulky.

Compare the size of a 5.0L Coyote to a 6.2L LS3. The Coyote is significantly wider and a bit heavier too.

DOHC heads on V engines aren't really more bulky than DOHC heads on other engines. They usually do end up being the widest point of the engine though.

You're correct, there is limited space between the banks for intake piping. Audi has a pretty neat solution for this with a variable-length intake manifold.

There's also so-called "hot V" configs, which have the exhaust between the banks. This is not normally used on road cars, as it results in piping problems for the exhaust. They've recently picked up though, with Audi, BMW and Mercedes putting two turbos between the cylinder banks.

>Sounds bulky too.
Generally, it is compared to an OHV V-engine

>The heads on V engines must be gay AF.
Don't know what you mean by still using the word "gay" in 2016, but working on them isn't that bad. Just make sure the marks are aligned.

>Is the exhaust side of each side facing outward?
Yes.

>Isn't there limited space in between the banks for intake piping?
plenty of space. Hell, Mercedes figured a way to stick a tubrocharger in there.

>plenty of space. Hell, Mercedes figured a way to stick a tubrocharger in there.

and BMW stuck ecus in there! and then needed to liquid cool them!

....should have been fucking fired for that stupid idea.

www.chevrolet.com/corvette/zr1/

They already have a page that redirects to the z06.
Detroit autoshow?

yep, January 10th is when gm gets btfo by the 800 hp gt500.

this gunna be gud. can't wait for them to cry

>GT-R
>quality of materials

also

>Automatic
>v6

stay btfo

stay automatic v6

enjoy being slower
and overheating after a lap
and blowing up after 6 ( S I X ) miles

Enjoy your automatic.