Why does Porsche still insist on making rear engines cars a thing?

Why does Porsche still insist on making rear engines cars a thing?

Is it autism?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fdQD35KEoV0
youtu.be/EH3oQIczemc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The same reason BMW still makes inline six's

The same reason Covettes still have transverse leaf springs

The same reason Fiats break down continually.

They tried going front-engine and their customers didn't like it.
Then they proceeded to make their rear-engine cars some of the best on the market, so I guess it all worked out in the end.

Name a company more autistic than Porsche

Old 911s even look like pepes

Because it's good. The 911 is the benchmark sportscar for a reason.

Are you autism?

It's all fun and games until you snap oversteer into a pole or tree and Dunn/Walker yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=fdQD35KEoV0

The irony is that Walker died in a mid engine Porsche, not a rear engine one.

>leaf springs

Not anymore

It does though.

>leaf springs
>plural
There only one leaf spring

Because the Porsche fanbase is made up of rich idiots high on nostalgia.

If we're gonna argue like that, notice "Corvettes". Plural.

Rr is god tier though
All those things are shit

The R is one of the greatest cars ever made

literally what are you even on about

They switched to mid engine for their WEC car

Explain why RR is better than the other layouts

because it's a 911. you don't have to buy a rr porsche

because its different and we need at least one rr car since nalder killed the corvair

You can have less air resistance sice your hood can be pretty low.
Therefore the drivers head doesn´t have to be that high.

Why not just make all cars the same, user?

Clearly there is a "best" for everything. Let's just make every car that and have nothing else.

V8 in the front, 6-speed manual in the middle, LSD in the back.

>Springs

That's SPRING to you buddy. Singular

It's almost happening already.

Everyone uses nurburgring as a benchmark so as trial and error is showing what formulas work all manufacturers start using the formula with minute variations and in the end everything is pretty much the same

911 is most successful race car ever :^)

Porsche gimped their other models even though they would be better than the 911 if given the same amount of power. Front engined Porsches were a lot more stable than the 911s of the time too.

Weight transfer to the rear is optimal on corner exit. Since a lot of the weight is already over the rear it exits corners like an awd car. The steering is light and direct because there's less weight on the front. The rear engine is also more refined on long trips.

That probably has more to do with VAG being a massive company and can afford good manufacturer-backed teams that other manufacturers can't match. A car no matter how fast it is will fail without a good supporting team. Pratt and Miller would be an example for the Corvette and without it the Corvette wouldn't have won many of the races it did. another example would be the Viper in Europe which won races like the 24 hour nurburgring. There was no way Chysler would be able to send factory backed teams all the way to germany and they wouldn't have much to gain from it over racing in just the US. still, thanks to those German teams that decided to pick it up it was given the chance to show its full potential.

I also heard Porsche has so many racing drivers under their belt that they have effected the global supply of drivers. even then though they are planning on switching the racing 911 from RR to MR in GTLM at least.

Wasn't the Viper absolutely destroying its competition the reason for displacement limits?

Displacement limits existed lon before that, also the Viper wasn´t winnig against the other classes.

eh, the 911's success was built long before VAG's purchase of porsche. For a long long time the 911's rear engine gave it the edge for talented drivers. Wasn't very good for not so talented drivers though.

I'm not saying teams don't matter, but the car's design has some influence as well. The v10 being massively under stressed and the viper being built as a race car first and road car second helped.

Currently I think the same could be said for the ford gt, it was built to win gte class races. I bet as a road car it will underwhelm.

Only good answer
No different than MR
Maybe the most campaigned race car ever, certainly not the most successful
>weight is already over the rear it exits corners like an awd car
Wat? This post just sounds like some nonsense that may make sense in your head but not applicable in real life. Go drive a 911 and get back to us.

Drove a 911 for the first time yesterday. Yes, the handling is that good. Clutch and gearbox were also quite nice. My STI with a 3" turboback and tune is faster in the straights, but there's no comparison in the twisties.

They're obviously not for everyone, but why change a design that works so well?

>PCCB on a Boxster

>4:54
youtu.be/EH3oQIczemc

"I have never driven a 911"