I was recently told that Hungarians aren't slavs but are instead an ethnic group called Magyars and are some kind of...

I was recently told that Hungarians aren't slavs but are instead an ethnic group called Magyars and are some kind of Uralic people.
I found this interesting and since I'm half Hungarian I'm curious, what can Veeky Forums tell me about the Magyars and their origins?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Mongols
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Uralic_language
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>another muh heritage american
google/wikipedia it

I did, nothing was too revealing about where they came from and what their early history was.

>Hungarians aren't slavs but are instead an ethnic group called Magyars
that'd be correct

congrats, part of your family is now special snowflake, because Magyars are a non-indo-european people, like you said, uralic, who traveled to Hungary from central-ish russia and are related to Finns, Sami, Estonians, and a couple other bumfuck tribes around the Ural mountains.

They speak an Uralic language that was introduced by steppe invaders but are not genetically Uralic.

proto mongols, xiongu, nomadics that got pushed out of asia, gathered up some turkoid dna along the way of the steppe, smoked a fuck ton of pot, and then settled in the pannonian basin. basically nothing stopped cav archers until they got comfy and just chilled. at least until the musket was mass produced. ud have some slav.

>not genetically Uralic
genes are a terrible way of classifying people. they rarely correlate along the ethnolinguistic borders they are associated with exactly, and become gray and fuzzy many times.

just accept the ethnolinguistic classification your society is given.

>proto mongols, xiongu
those were wholly different people

This is the same as saying that American blacks are Indo-European because they speak some dialect vaguely resembling English. Unacceptable.

Slavs are only a linguistic group.

How the fuck are you half hungarian and didn't kno what a magyar was?

Proto-Mongols
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Contents [hide]
1 Origins
1.1 Altaic peoples
2 Xiongnu
3 Donghu, Tuoba, and Rouran
4 Rise of the Türk
5 Tang dynasty and Uyghur Empire
6 Khitan and Jurchen
7 Shiwei and Menggu
8 States established by proto-Mongols
9 See also
10 References
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Mongols

African-Americans are an understood clusterfuck.

regarding ethnicity, usualy it's about following the cultural history and origins of these people. These Bantu Niger-Congolese blacks had their culture and ethnic identity totally ripped away from them when they were enslaved, and they are floating in an ethnocultural no-man's-land.

With the Magyars it's much simpler, they retained their ethnic lineage unbrokenly, and so they are easily seen to Uralic.

TL;DR African-Americans are a mistake

They are indo-European though. It's not just the language, every aspect of their culture is informed by the rest of American culture. There is very little that is African in African Americans.

Americans in general are a weird case though.

exactly, they are not related to the Uralics

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Uralic_language

They are 1%. One drop rule. Romanians are also Turanic for the same reason.

Given that Hungary is smack dab in between the balkans and eastern Europe, I just always assumed they were a Slavic people.

>[Black Americans] are indo-European
No, they aren't. But this post is worth quoting for didactic purposes.

See OP this is the kind of person and this is the level of answer you're getting when you ask a question like this on an anime site.

Have a nice day.

"""Altaic""" peoples

WE WUZ TÜRAN N SHITLAR

Archaeological evidence proves that early Stone Age hominins habitated in Mongolia 850,000 years ago.

best bit was they were smoking pot for most of this time

>yeah man brb just banning air water and food while we're at it
>t. civilisation

That's not a counter. That's an unsubstantiated refuttal.

What makes someone Indo-European?
From ancient genetics we know that the original ones(Samara culture) are completely extinct except in a highly mixed form.

Magyarized slavs and vlachs from the pannonian plains, with a hint of the original magyar horde.

Any questions?

HOL UP
>Waves an Arpad Stripes flag
SO YOU BE SAYIN
>Attends Kurultai
SO YOU BE SAYIN
>Joins a confusing far right party that shills Turanic Nationalism
WE WUZ KHANS N SHIT?

They were part of ancient Finno-mongolian horde that split up.

Your ancestors were probably more like Celts or Dacians who had to adopt the language of the Magyar elite.

>can you please spoonfeed me with info about my parent's country's history?

No. Go read a fucking book.

Which makes them magyars.

This.

This is the fucking history board, not the god damn history board.

Kek

Exactly, remember folks, we need to save board space for the dozens anti-Viking threads needed at all times.

Oh oh do Bulgaria next!

tri moreta beibi

T*rkics turned Slavs. You can see still-T*rkic Bulgars around the Volga river.