Is it ok for a christian to learn about other religions and philosophies?

Is it ok for a christian to learn about other religions and philosophies?

I would think that if they did, they would realize there is no god.

Yes, but only if it confirms what you've already concluded as true.

You wouldn't want to be involved with that icky critical thinking stuff, would you?

Also, would it be ok if I read horror fiction? Like Bram Stoker and Mary Shelley?

jeez

The Orthodox church recommends you don't read any fantasy literature as lies are how the father of evil will creep into your heart.

Guess it's up to you to decide if you're a bitch nigga though

It's not ok to learn about anything.

I still can't tell if those Cosmos writers were throwing a respectful nod towards the meme.

At least according to St Augustine it is.

Some proddies (puritans and their ilk mostly) would consider it sinful, since you're learning lies. But most christians would think it totally acceptable.

Nay, lest thou shouldst incur in a grave sin. The Bible teaches us to stay away from wordly philosophies and doctrines of devils, all of which stem from the same source, even the father of lies. The bible is the best and only philosophy and science book thou needest.

Christian liberty precludes nothing. All things are lawful; not all things are edifying.

When you're a born again Christian, the object of your faith is the Truth.

When you worship the Truth, you don't fear to come across knowledge or information that drives you away from the Truth.

Whereas you, on the other hand, will find to your horror that your adolescent rebellion against God will be taken quite seriously.

>When you're a born again Christian, the object of your faith is the Truth.

That's what quite literally all sects of every Abrahamic religion say. You may be going to hell now for not accepting Muhammed as the seal of the prophets

Accept Islam please.

Mohammad demonstrated that he was a liar, a thief, and a murderer, just like his spiritual father the devil.

When you worship the Truth, lies become more obvious.

I don't know, ask Aquinas.

I can't because that might piss off some other flavor of Abrahamism and send me to hell. They've quite literally written their own doctrine of hell for choosing the wrong worldview in a hole. This entire doctrine stopped making sense the second people began to disagree on what exactly is the one and only infallible doctrine

>Mohammad demonstrated that he was a liar, a thief, and a murderer, just like his spiritual father the devil.

And Christians will go to hell for practicing shirk with their three gods nonsense, what's your point?

I think he means reading shit like plato, not shit like carl sagan.

So only things you agree with?

I can't really call that 'learning about other religions and philosophies'.

It's an excellent idea for all religious people to study other religions, there is no surer way out of religion.

Well all I'm saying is, there's nothing wrong with learning about the Greeks while Christian

you should learn everything

1) i am a Daoist
2) i am a buddhist
3) i am a Mystic
4) i am King

Buddhism is a satainist religion! Don't believe in that bulk crap!

i never watched the new Cosmos.. that hat tip is in it? lmao

This. Eclecticism master race.

>The universe at its grandest of scales cares to notice what I do

You?! You think the creator of this entire universe gives a single shit one way or another about you or what you do? Really? I bet dust mites believe the same thing and have a dust might prophet with the infallible truth of God, who just so happens to look and think like a dust mite.

Trips for truth.

>dust might
kek

Yes since all religion has the teleological end of ending in Christianity. Only the muslims are contesting this.

>He thinks size=/=importance.

Well you seem to think you're important just by virtue of you being you. God is a force that goes beyond our silly notions of morality.

The intellectual side of Christianity is traditionally based on the Bible as interpreted by the philosophical methods of the Greeks, so yes.

>the univehse is weally weally big guize!

>Thomas Aquinas
>Agustine
>Boetius
>Dante
>Clement of Alexandria
>Anselm

there's multiple examples of christian theologist and philosophers who incorporated greek, roman, and even eastern philosophies to their writings.

Yes it is, like bigger than you can actually imagine.

This should give you some insight into the wildly un-human and amoralistic nature of the big OG; even in Christianity. Have you never read the book of Job?

I honestly don't know what you're attempting to criticize. You seem to act like God, if it even exists, is somehow bound to our level of understanding.

>I sweh guize it's like weally big!

its ok for anyone to learn about anything to think otherwise prevents you from living up to your potential

Yeah, the creator of the universe really DOES care about every single dust mite. And for all I fucking know, maybe he DID send them a prophet.

But I what does it concern me if he did, or he didn't?

0/10

Try harder shill. You're getting 0 fuckers outta me currently.

You should probably learn more about your own religion first. Maybe even read the parts of the Bible where your supposed God orders genocide, enslavement, and collective punishment.

Yes but that's where cognitive dissonance comes in handy

>God is Love and has always been love
>But if you start doing weird shit he doesn't like because you're retarded then he's going to kill a lot of bitches
>and don't even fucking think about saving some of sex those people you were supposed to exterminate for sex slaves or he's going to find some other faggot to be king

>shill
You're the shill. How much does NASA pay you?

The Universe is not full of Earths.

There's no life out there.

E.T. does not exist.

Star Trek and Star Wars is fiction.

Aliens are demons.

>How much does NASA pay you?
0 USD Annually

>The Universe is not full of Earths.
That's demonstrably untrue, we have already found planets of similar mass to Earth in the habitable zones of other star out of a survey of several hundred thousand stars in our galaxy alone. Other Earths are out there and they are legion.

>There's no life out there.
The likelihood of that is 0%

>E.T. does not exist.
We exist therefore intelligent life is possible in this universe. Unless you are going to claim that we are a singular event in all the universe, ie 'the world revolves around me' argument, then that is also about 0% likely.

>Star Trek and Star Wars is fiction.
Obviously

>Aliens are demons.
Nice black and white thinking there. If aliens do exist that are aware of Earth they are probably about as interested in you as you are a typical ant in a colony somewhere.

Look, you just have to admit that you are a limited being, that the world does not revolve around you, and the universe in general is absolutely neutral to what you do. That is called being sane.

>dude there's like billions of aliens out there!
Awww, cute wishful thinking.

You realize there are an estimated 10^24 planets in the universe. We have found a handful of potential earth like planets in a sample of a few hundred thousand.

There are other Earth-like planets out there, and there are more than you can imagine. And I mean that honestly and not in some doe-eyed child-like wonder. Say only 1 in 1 trillion (arbitrary conservative estimate based on evidence) planets were earth-like that would mean 10^12 earth-like planets.

E.T. is fiction bro.

Yes

Every religion is right from their point of view and wrong from the view of every other religion.
Only truth is to accept that all religions all wrong or that god is masochistic prankster who tells every single person who starts a religion the wrong way.

>rejecting worldly desires is Satanic
Damn, the Devil's a crafty one indeed.

>if you learn from people about their gods you have not heard of yet, you should kill those people and the rest of the inhabitants of that city + the cattle

If you hear in one of your cities, which the Lord your God is giving you to dwell there,
13 that certain worthless fellows have gone out among you and have drawn away the inhabitants of their city, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known,
14 then you shall inquire and make search and ask diligently. And behold, if it be true and certain that such an abomination has been done among you,
15 you shall surely put the inhabitants of that city to the sword, devoting it to destruction,3 all who are in it and its cattle, with the edge of the sword.
16 You shall gather all its spoil into the midst of its open square and burn the city and all its spoil with fire, as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. It shall be a heap forever. It shall not be built again.
17 None of the devoted things shall stick to your hand, that the Lord may turn from the fierceness of his anger and show you mercy and have compassion on you and multiply you, as he swore to your fathers,
18 if you obey the voice of the Lord your God, keeping all his commandments that I am commanding you today, and doing what is right in the sight of the Lord your God.

Even though I know you're trolling, you're fucking retarded if you think extraterrestrials don't exist. The amount of ignorance and hubris required to believe that is astronomical.

>god is masochistic prankster who tells every single person who starts a religion the wrong way

Reminds me of the god Eshu from Yoruba mythology.

In Yoruba mythology, Eshu is an Orisha, and one of the most respected deities of the tradition. He has a wide range of responsibilities: the protector of travelers, god of roads, particularly crossroads, the deity with the power over fortune and misfortune, and the personification of death, a psycho pomp.

Eshu is a trickster-god, and plays frequently tempting choices for the purpose of causing maturation. He is a difficult teacher, but a good one. As an example, Eshu was walking down the road one day, wearing a hat that was red on one side and blue on the other. Sometime after he departed, the villagers who had seen him began arguing about whether the stranger's hat was blue or red. The villagers on one side of the road had only been capable of seeing the blue side, and the villagers on the other side had only been capable of seeing the red half. They nearly fought over the argument, until Eshu came back and cleared the mystery, teaching the villagers about how one's perspective can alter one's perception of reality, and can be easily fooled.

In many versions of this tale, the two tribes were not stopped short of violence; they actually annihilated each other, and Eshu laughed at the result, saying "Bringing strife is my greatest joy".

The three god nonsense is a lie Mohammad told, that you believe is true because you cannot comprehend or apprehend the trinity.

Actually, you're the foolish one who cannot tell the difference between the very real inter-dimensional aliens and them deceiving you into thinking they're extra-terrestrial.

What's with the meme that ancient and medieval christian scholars were horridly ignorant?

Lel, Christianity is 3 gods, christians need mental gymnastics to justify it, just like how they worship Mary (the fourth deity)

Umm, Mary isn't a deity by any denomination, the best you can say is that she's the highest of all patrons among the saints.

>lel
reddit please go.

>It's not only ET, it's Meta ET

>new Cosmos
The one with the Bruno nonsense?

>know you're trolling
I'm not. Aliens are demons and star wars is fiction.

I'd go so far as to say anyone who doesn't is a pleb.

>Aliens are demons
No, you see, demons are a concept of many mythologies. They represent what is latent in man but is repressed because it is awful: the desire to murder, sadism, hatefulness. They are what scares us in the dark figuratively speaking. They are threatening because we must fight them, suppress them in ourselves. Everyone has a monster inside them somewhere and if you claim you don't you're blind and ignorant of your self and your own nature. Demons (what they metaphorically represent) are a part of the psyche.

Aliens are beings that live in other places in the observable universe. To attribute those aspects of the human psyche to aliens simply because they come from the unknown is exactly what you would call projection.

Also,
>star wars is fiction
I don't know why you keep saying this. I know Star Wars is fucking fiction.

Demons are real bro, unlike ET.

You must be bored. I imagine that everytime you see someone even attempting to have a sane conversation based on facts with only a smidgen of trolling you feel the insatiable need to say something, anything, to bring the conversation down to a squabble because you don't really have anything to say on the topic, you just want to get you jollies trying to rustle some jimmies. The spiel isn't even funny to you, but with a tired sigh, you continue on, vigilantly awaiting the occasional nugget of humor and lulz. Does it make the pain go away, user?

It's ok. I forgive you.

But seriously if you think ET = Demons you're retarded. You don't know shit, you don't belong to some elect few that have some inside scoop on 'the truth'. You have your ideas, your beliefs, your biases, and your knowledge.

This is exactly the kind of shit that causes people to take serious the idea that earth is flat, or that aliens make crop circles, or that greenhouse gasses somehow don't contribute to the greenhouse effect outside of the lab.

I'm chuckling due to the lengths of your posts. It's as if you're typing your replies with tears scrolling down your cheeks.

It is incredibly obvious how you're not only trying to convince me but also yourself.

As I said, there are no aliens out there (only demons), we will not conquer galaxies, we will not terraform planets and there is no star wars action going on in space.

Oh and don't trust everything NASA says. Alright? That's a good boy.

>It's as if you're typing your replies with tears scrolling down your cheeks.

Actually I'm drinking, and I'm usually long winded unless I'm trolling.

ET is still fiction and NASA is still lying.

Oh (You)