So how exactly did this thing work...

So how exactly did this thing work? Was it really just a fancy name for "The Austrian Empire" or did Hungary actually have a presence in ruling it? Like Austria=England, Hungary=Scotland, and the Austro-Hungarian empire is the United Kingdom?

Hungarians had enough power to try to force everyone who wasn't Austrian to speak Hungarian.

Hungary was a separate kingdom within the empire and so kept its elite, whereas e.g. Czech or Croatian or Galician elites were subsumed/suppressed. Also what the guy above said, within the designated borders of Hungary Hungarian nationalism was allowed to a point, whereas other nationalisms within the empire were discouraged.

>Was it really just a fancy name for "The Austrian Empire" or did Hungary actually have a presence in ruling it?

It was basically a personal union after 1867, with common ministries of defence, international affairs and economy.

>force
Learning the official language can come in handy, Radu.

Why is Veeky Forums obsessed with Austria-Hungary?

sexiest borders, that Galicia Lodomeria is T H I C C

>sexy borders
>completely exposed plain on the Russian border.
also
>labeling Little Poland (West of Lvov) as "Galicia"
Cringe

>sexiest borders

Its the worst looking polity of Europe, looks like a fucking tick with an engorged rear.

they (austria) are the Europeans who colonized other Europeans.

>misusing the word colonization

Fuck off to your cultural anthropologist classes you Marxist shitter

>le natural borders
fuck off frog, the mutes might be a plight on the face of europe, but damn did they have dem curves

more like a fucking T H I C C

>half of Germany was called Prussia
>nobody spoke Prussian

>tfw the world will never have the NGF and the SGF (including Austria, Slovenia, and Bohemia)
>tfw the world will never be safe and pretty

The Emperor was head of state but hungary and Austria had two seperate parliaments and governments.

>how did it work?

It didn't

Borders would have been much sexier if it included Venice, Milan, Zurich and southern germany.

Bosnia needs to go though

I've read the other day that austrians and magyars are genetically very similar, anyone have more info on this

Turning it into a federal state would have been interesting.

The Czech weren't as terribly off. They had close-ties of cooperation with Moravian Germans.

nonsense user, we all know that language=genes, so someone from Sopron might as well be from Ulaan Baator, whereas his cousin from Deutschkreuz would be genetically indistinguishable from someone from Hamburg.

:^)

After the Compromise both parts of the Empire managed their internal affairs separately while military, foreign affairs and teh financing of these were under common ministries.
Austria payed 2/3s Hungary 1/3s of common expenses but said ratio was reviewed everí 10 years and Hungary's contribution slowly increased over time.

It wasn't just a personal union due to shared things but generally the two parts enjoyed a great deal of sovereignity, and Austrians had little say in Hungary despite their economic dominance.

Of course trade and intereconomic connections flowed, you can somewhat compare it to the EU in this regard, movement of people and capital was relatively free.

But this is strictly after 1867.

Before 1867 Hungary was definately under Austrian rule although they still enjoyed a far more vast level of autonomy than Croatia or the Bohemian lands due to the sheer size of Hungary and its ruling elites power, and Hungary was always styled as its own kingdom and except some years past the 1848 revolution was never just a province.

Take for example the fact the Austrian Emperor always had to be crowned Hungarian king too in a separate coronation.

Czech here. I dont remember that exactly, but Hungary was given autonomy after massive uprisings caused by losses against Prussia. We wanted to get rid of this filthy austrian rule too since we recovered our language and culture after centuries of germanisation. Franz Joseph I. had planned to give autonomy to Bohemia too, but 1914 happened and in 1918 it was no longer needed.

>1848

>We wanted to get rid of this filthy austrian rule too since we recovered our language and culture after centuries of germanisation.

Proofs? Because there are no significant movements before WW1 for independence, nationalists spoke for autonomy. Especially because Franz Ferdinand married a Czech noble against all odds.

>Turning it into a federal state would have been interesting.
I really would like to live in that parallel universe.

>nationalists spoke for autonomy

This. Even the "rebels" in 1848 just wanted a better representation, not independence.