/domg/ - Dominions General

An important lesson Edition

Previous Pantokrator →

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=PureSkill
pastebin.com/LtjMNTp0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Actual Last Pantokrator

Deader than dead

What's the interaction between W9 bless, the spell Quickness, and Celestial Music?

Celestial Music is quickness (the spell). It doesn't stack because it's an identical effect.
W9 bless and Quickness do not stack in terms of additional AP, with the x2 of quickness taking priority over the x1.5 of W9, but do give the full additional stats.
Heroic Quickness (from the HoF ability) stacks fully with other quickness effects.

Quickness overrides W9 quickness since it's better. (Gives +4 attack as well as two times the amount of attacks, W9 just gives 4 defense and twice the attacks every other turn).
I think celestial music gives actual quickness, so it would override W9 quickness as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It's easy enough to test, though.

Let's say I start playing this, is there any mod that improves the battle simulador like its speed and such?

Dont think so but there are speed options in the top right.

There are shortcuts for skipping battle turns, it's something like >

That sounds decent. Can I control the frame?

If by frame, you mean exact time in battle, you can only go forward. Which can get a bit annoying, but you can mash N to get through battles quickly.

Thanks, you're all very helpful. I just hope the game don't die because the manual looks like a wall of text.

What are the 2nd and 3rd best vanilla nations in each era?

Don't worry, everything after the first ~100 pages is just reference tables :>

Thanks!

The game is pretty obviously geared toward the niche grognard crowd.

Right. Seriously no takers for a Caelum sub?

He really does still have a shitload of land.

EA: Between Formoria and Lanka
MA: Hard to say, there's a few nations that could be argued as being reasonably close to each other (Pangaea, Agartha, Ulm)
LA: Toss up between Midgard, Ulm and Bogarus

You value Midgard, Ulm, and Rus over xibalbats? Or do you not think Ragha's first?

I forgot that Xibala is good again in LA, so they're probably second after Ragha

I'll sub
[email protected]

Good man. Have subbed you in. You've seven hours or so until the turn's due.

How absolute garbage would a nations troops and commanders have to be if they were all immortal?

Lemuria

A dude made a mod like that except they all also had a 50% chance of reforming after death.

I don't see it.

It can take five/ten for the message to go through. Have you gotten the "You are now playing Caelum" email?

I haven't gotten anything.

Huh. I did just copypaste the email address, so shouldn't be a typo on my end.

Gone into your spam folder for some reason, maybe?

Just resent myself the turn file, got the message. It's the first message I got.

Weird. Well, hopefully you don't have any further problems.

This is actually wrong. First, quickness is 3 atk 3 def. Second, the def boost from quickness and w9 do stack, just not the action boost.

Sheeeiiit.

That's a cool idea, and makes them less annoying to manage. Any idea what this mod was?

I thought the AP boost didn't stack, but the extra attacks did? They're different effects, after all. Spell Quickness is an extra attack every turn, Bless Quickness is an extra attack every SECOND turn.

Yes. Lemuria is.

Please join this game: llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=PureSkill

Sandeth. Partly inspired by the newer Prince of Persia games.

AP boost IS what gives extra attacks per turn. Yeah, it isn't really made clear anywhere.

If its still looking for people around 1 tomorrow Euro time I'll join.

Pretty sure it's a separate effect. Even 30+ AP shit only every does it's attacks once per round without Quickness.

Each unit eats all of its default AP on attack, but if AP value is increased there's a leftover for more attacks.
You are like 3 years behind on mechanics, Desura had a detailed thread on this

Okay, so it's a little weird, but here's the basic gist of it - all units have a base AP, and that's the AP required to do their attack. If a unit has one or more AP, it will still do its attack. Quickness multiples the units AP by 2 (or 1.5 in the case of W bless) without increasing the unit's base AP. This means that a unit with a W bless will attack twice roughly every other round (they'll do their double-attack on the first hit if they're close to their target or on the second if they had to run far) whereas a unit with full quickness will attack twice unless they had to run more than they could normally move.

Fair enough. That does make a certain amount of sense. As you realized, I haven't been keeping up for a while. Just started joining games again a couple months ago.

I am greatly enjoying fucking around with EA Pangaea Maenads
Losing 433/800 of them against 300 enemies isn't even a pyrrhic victory; that's well within sustainable losses.

They're pretty phenomenal once you can get Mass Regen and Mass Protection on them. Growing Fury also goes a long way.

>flinging army after army into a player's last doomstack, killing vast amounts of enemies in each battle but losing nearly the entirety of my army each turn
Having more gold and gem income than your opponent is fun

>not killing his army efficiently so that you can simultaneously conquer other opponents

>Not having fun

I actually do think that's fun, though

I am not sure you fully understand how many Maenads turmoil Pan can get every turn.

Oh, maenads. I don't even count those as units. When he said losing nearly the entirety of his army I thought he meant losing stuff that mattered.

So population increases income. And I know that LOW pop can reduce resources.

Does high pop increase resources, or are there a set amount in province that only start getting limited when the pop drops below certain levels?

yeah, both resources and gold scale with pop

Anyone ever work out how long it takes for Growth 3 to beat Production 3 on resources?

sup guys, still looking for feedback for this unofficial la machaka pastebin.com/LtjMNTp0

changed sacred costs to be in the 22-28 range
reformed hoplites now cost 15 gold
levy troops now cost 12
sangomas are now N2D1H2 200?FAWE, 50?FAWE, 10?ND, worried that they're too powerful though, may restrict them based on terrain type
cap only sangomas are now N2D1H2 200?FAWE, 100?FAWE, 75?FAWE, 50?ND

initial testing suggests that the cap only guys are way too fucking good

Just out of curiosity, why A? No previous age of Machaka had it.

spirits of the sky are pretty important to a number of sub-saharan tribes, so i figured it was in theme

changed sangomas to N2D1H2 200?FAWE, 10?FAWE and 10?ND
cap only sangomas to N2D1H2 200?FAWE 100?FAWE, 50?ND

How do I want to gear out a golem or father illearth as an SC? What sort of items do people like using?

I think I might take a stab at a dragons dogma mod over the summer. I know I plan to make the regular troops basically indy level and give them shitloads of monsters but I am wondering how to go about it. Like should I give them a bunch of summon spells or is there a way to make monsters summon automatically in your dominion or something.

What bless do you have? What is the army composition that you are dropping the golem onto (you are teleporting it in, I assume), especially mages? What mages does the enemy have on hand to counter Father Illearth?

Golems usually take starshine skull, elemental resist gear, and a brand/vinehshield.
Illearth is more of a caster so whatever

Turns out AI Atlantis has heavily invested in PD.

Its ok though I only lost like 10 crazy people and one slightly less crazy person.

Last call for someone to sub for Nazca

Just let them die Admin, no one is going to sub into a nation with its cap under siege by indys.

k, I'll AI them

How the fuck did they come under siege anyway? If it was barbarians or trogs I could understand but its just regular heavy infantry and shit.

Heavy infantry and a bunch of fire/something else mages. Poor guy

FOR DISCLOSURE'S SAKE:

I AM ULM IN COMFYARMCHAIROFDOMG AND THE ADMIN
I AM SETTING NAZCA TO AI
THAT IS LITERALLY ALL I AM DOING, I WILL NOT CHEAT BECAUSE IT PROBABLY WOULDN'T HELP ANYWAY AND ALSO WOULD BE A DICK MOVE
PLEASE TRUST ME

That might cause problems for your turn, desu

I sure hope these two random diseases are just a coincidence and not a pair of black servants with bane venom charms.

What cool things can you do with a Conjuration 20 site and mainly blood magic? Slightly cheaper thug chassis?

Would that site even work with blood magic?

No

Nothing.

Conj 20 is nice for tarts/royalty though. And some nations get a discount on really cool summons like niefel wolves/draugar etc.

Game: MokouIsHot
Turn number 24
Next turn due: 21:50 GMT on Thursday December 15th

Loser AI and staler hall of shame:
1. Jomon
2. Caelum
3. Abysia

Thanks for subbing Abysia, replacement Abysia!

Abysia 2h file received
Agartha 2h file received
Atlantis 2h file received
C'tis 2h file received
Gath 2h file received
Marignon 2h file received
Ragha 2h file received
T'ien Ch'i 2h file received
Ulm 2h file received
>Utgard Waiting for 2h file

Oh whoops, meant to say Death actually. Of course Blood wouldn't work. Tarts would be kind of nice but I'm much more likely to be bottlenecked on casters and not gems. Saving 2 gems per cast isn't going to make a huge difference.

>Saving 2 gems per cast isn't going to make a huge difference
Not if you summon them with 4 casters for 20 turns straight.

Where the fuck are you getting that many D7 casters?

Late-game.

Both boosters and a ring on Liches?

>tfw I just find 50 more rangers in one of my provinces
>tfw this isnt even the first time its happened

4 + 2 artifact wand + 1 skullface

4 + 1 staff + 1 skullface + 1 ring of sorcery

4 + 1 staff + 1 skullface + 1 ring of wizardry

4 + 1 staff + 1 skullface + 1 black book of secrets

4 + 1 staff + 1 skullface + 1 robe of the magi

Honestly, Death isn't going to see vast benefits from a 20% conj site.

Tarts are unlikely to ever be gem limited, since you're needing to pay 100+ gems just to get anything that can cast it. You can get Banes at a saving of A Gem. Or TWO gems for Bane Lords! Woo.

Wraith Lords are pretty boss, but the Immortal means even with the 20% discount they're pricey for what they can do. I guess you could give Harvesters of Sorrow bane venom charms and send them to follow enemy armies around?

It's an edge, but it's not a game changer.

I loved getting 20% conj as Lemuria. Suddenly, you save 10 gem per grand lemur.

Yeah. If you have national summons it'll be amazing.

Why does Abysia get the pride of lions spell?

>He doesn't know about fire lions

I realize we're all autistic NEETs here, but watch a documentary occasionally or something, dude. They're the third deadliest mammal in africa.

Desert Lions?

Mesopotamia.

I know this is like the second time in two days, but I need a sub for MokouIsHot Utgard.
Late age noob game. I know there are some noobs out there who might be interested.
Utgard is only at war with the Jomon AI afaik and had a good expansion prior to that (first player to claim a throne), so you have a good opportunity to make some gains, but you will have to reverse some losses taken during his stale period.
I'm putting a 24 hour extension on this turn, if we don't get a sub after that he's getting set AI.

I'm sorry, but I can't respond until you use a new picture. That's the one you used last time.

I like that one, sue me.

Dominions is 85% off on steam right now.

Only 30% off for me

sorry, meant gamersgate

My bad

To be clear, it's $5.25 on gamer's gate. Five dollars and twenty five cents.