No one seems to be able to answer this question. Which has a lower center of gravity o?

No one seems to be able to answer this question. Which has a lower center of gravity o?
>13B-REW
or
>4U-GSE/FA20

Hard Mode: Between the FD and 86/BRZ which has a lower polar moment of inertia?

Other urls found in this thread:

atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5898412341.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>FD is smaller than BRZ, has less safety equipment, but weighs more

FA20 is better for CoG and weight I guess. Though the sheer power of the 13B-REW invalidates it.

I'm pretty sure the internals on the FD are beefier, not to mention all the plumbing for the twin turbo. Through a twin turbo on the 86 and beef up the internals and they'd be equal.

>FA20 is better for CoG
So wait, it really does have a lower CoG???

>that roof line

Why isn't the fr-s a hatchback again?

the word you're looking for is fastback, buddy

13B-REW, obviously. Majority of the weight is flush with the transmission FFS.

The FD weighs 2700 lbs and has heavier suspension parts (double wishbone). Plus, that's the weight with the stock exhaust which was autistic. Lighter than the FR-S

>13B-REW, obviously.

Hmm. Is the 13B the lowest CoG engine in a car ever made?

I would say that would be the 26B or the 20B if we're talking production cars

Another point for the FD: tighter chassis and less safety regulations, so the roof is a lot lighter than the Toyobaru's.

What are the actual numbers for the CoG between all 3 if you know them?

I'm curious myself, but I don't know. It just makes the most sense. Turbos mounted low, the keg is lower down and shorter than most engine blocks.

>hey guys i just took statics and want to sound smart for my 4chain dot orge friends

op here

I actually just want a lightweight car with a low CoG and am deciding on the 2. Was just curious which had a lower one since the boxer gets so much praise for it.

some engineer was being autistic about stiffness

get the br-z if it's your only car or if you want to carry +2 people once in awhile

fd if second car and you have deep pockets

>or if you want to carry +2 people

JDM FD has backseats

I hope you mean if you want to carry a normal passenger and 1.5 midgets. Both cars can do that, but it depends on the midgets.

13b-rew is about 375lbs with trans
Fa20 is about 480lbs with trans

As far cog.. might be a toss up, the block of the 13b is mighty tiny

The block is tiny and it weighs 150 lbs, but that weight is flush with the tranny. The turbos are also low seated. The only thing that's high up is the intake manifold.

Fa20 has lower cog but it's irrelevant when the rotary is smaller and lighter and we'll suited to tiny transverse applications (muh autozam az1)

I don't know what any of this means.

Completely unusable backseats. Only thing you can fit back there is your dog.

center of gravity= how high the weight of the components of the car sit in the car. Tall trucks, SUVs, etc= high center of gravity= poorer handling. RX7s, FRSs, etc have the motor mounted low and sit low to the ground, meaning a lower center of gravity and better handling.
Polar moment of inertia=when speed and grip during a turn are maxed out. Cars with low centers of gravity are better at this.
IMO, I don't see how the FRS could beat the FD. The motor weighs much less, the car weighs negligibly more (full trim only puts it 100lbs over the FRS), and has wider stock tires (225 vs 215)

That's.. so extremely simple to answer. Why'd you even need to ask?
The FA20 does due to the lower grant shaft position.

If you turned the rotary engine horizontal, with the spark plugs facing downward instead of to its left, (which isn't so simple as they're made to be vertical), then they'd be evenly low but the 13B is lighter, smaller, and shorter.

To clarify, I'm talking about actual center of gravity contribution of the engine itself.

The CoG of the cars are roughly even.

FD: 17"
LFA: 17.5"
FR-s: 18.1"
(These are with stock ride heights, and the FD rides a lot higher than an LFA stock)

I can't think of a car with a lower CoG than the FD. But the OP asked for the actual CoG of the engines, and the 13b sits up fairly high and makes the transmission sit up higher than normal due to the center crank position. But due to the engine itself being so light, it doesn't raise the CoG much.

And for the lower polar moment of inertia question, I'd guess the FR-S.

The FD has considerable overhangs, and those overhangs are steel.
It has lots of heavy steel cross members between each set of wheels.
Heavy 20gal steel gas tank in the back.

And as an own of one, as good as the handling is and grip is, you can definitely feel the polar moment of inertia in it. I'd say it's by far the better handling car and definitely better handling one, regardless, though.

That's a big reason I want that fucking new RX. Aluminum front and back ends like in the ND are a given. And the concept had such low overhangs and looks like it'd have a transaxle.

Its crazy how big the gt86 is next to old japanese cars.

Tsuchiya can fit back there and said they were fine on best motoring

>Completely unusable backseats
they're for your midget asian friends

*beautiful Asian girlfriends

Yeeeee

FA20

FD

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the 86 chassis is more stiff than the FD

Not to mention, semi practical

Stiffer, larger, lighter about the only thing the two cars have in common is neither have Apex seals,

wrong, stock for stock the FD has a lower cog
The center of mass of the engine is also mounted directly over the front axle, making it highly inferior to every other front mid-engine car (FD, MX-5, S2000, 350/370Z, etc).

It doesn't fucking matter - 10 centimeters here and there. Marketing spiel for gullible idiots. You still have double-glazed windows above it, and maybe even a heavy sunroof.

I didn't specify - I'm talking to CoG in relation to engine placement.

>It doesn't fucking matter

t. assmadcantturn

and you wonder why you're slower on Tsukuba

Yeah, but the base 370z is 500lbs more, and 5k more.

I prefer the 86

s2000 and mx-5 have either weight or power and cost less

pick the one you want more

Found the busrider

you can pick up a 350z for 6 grand

I wana see a rx7 engine in an frs.
Make it habbenen

No, it is a fastback. He wants to know why it isn't a hatch.

Not everyone wants to DD a vert.

Detachable hard top is not the same as fixed coupe

These days a used clean frs is almost the same price as a clean s2k

Show me a clean 350z with a manual trans and a HR engine for 6k

>HR engine

What is the point of this stupid condition?
My point was you can get a 350z for 6 grand which-

atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5898412341.html

you can

>Not everyone wants to DD a vert.

then get a 350z or imported Silvia, both are cheaper

>he doesn't understand how CoG and sprung weight affect handling

Yes, it technically has "seats" in the back. But they aren't usable for anything other than a toddler.

Maybe lose weight and not be oversized

Everyone knows 2003z a shit. I would not pay 5900 for that timebomb. Give me a toyota MRS instead

>Everyone knows 2003z a shit
>MRS

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

wew, thanks for hilarious garbage opinion the post

>reminder stock for stock a 350z would smoke everything in this thread except an FD on Tsukuba

You can thank crash safety regulations for that

1999 Toyota Corolla owner here

Stop memeing the MR2 Spyder, it's shit. The Yamaha designed ZZ engines are also shit, including the same 1ZZ in the MR-S that is in my Corolla.

Toyota purposely shipped them with undersized pistons and oversized rings to compensate for a few years resulting in numerous problems and oil burning galore.

>the seat's fine, see this tiny asian guy can fit in it with his knees wedged into his chest

Not all of us are 4 foot tall manlets like you

>I'm talking to CoG in relation to engine placement.
But the thing is... why does that matter? It's a fairly unimportant statistic. The center of gravity of the the car as a whole is really all that's important.

>Michael Schumacher
>Ayrton Senna
>Lewis Hamilton

>all 5'9"

Nah, you just have a garbage height and weight for a driver.

>But the thing is... why does that matter?
Because the fucking original poster brought it up?

>why does that matter?
Stock engine CoG in the chassis will determine the cars overall CoG potential

I wanna make a modern day RX-7 Tribute on an FR-S.

you mean an 86-7?

how much money do you save by shopping in the kids section

How does it feel knowing you were born never to be a true performance driver in any competition ever?

How is the engine of the FR-S/BRZ mounted over the front axle without affecting the front suspension?

Having the engine that far forward means concessions with the crossmember, sway bar, how much room you have for the suspension since you need more compact wheel wells, etc.

see: how shitty the rear suspension on the Alfa 4c is because of its traverse mounted engine over the rear axle not giving enough room for a proper suspension.

hachiroku-leven

For those that are interested....

Holy shit that engine is mounted up high, and that suspension is compact.

No wonder the car is so shitty and it has an over 1" higher CoG over the FD.

This is why I call people retards when they think they should put a boxer engine in the RX-Vision concept.

Look at how you have a proper suspension in the rear and the front is all fucked up to fit the wide engine.

Only way such a thing would work is to have the engine tucked back past the wheel wells and start of the glass. Then where the fuck do your feet and pedals go?

Also
>53:47
So it's basically an Audi. And shills try to convince others on this board that the car is good.

Accounting for inflation the FD was almost 60k new.

And you're comparing it to a car that's trying to mimic an 80s corolla.

Accounting for inflation, the new Miata is like 25% cheaper than the original one, while being a far better car than the original one was in every way.
You can't compare that way. Cars are supposed to be better over 20 or 30 years.

Doesn't change anything that I said, that it's stupid engineering.
Now you see the big problems with a boxer engine in a FR configuration.
You have to mount it up high to clear the front crossmember.
You can't mount it far back behind the wheels because it's flat and takes up wheel well space.

I don't understand why Subaru haven't gone to a low degree v engine. Even 15/20 would make these packaging nightmares non existent

I'm pretty sure than the GT86 is cheaper than the AE86, while performing better.

I'm not saying the GT86 is a God machine. It has its flaws, but it wasn't meant to break track records. It was made to be economical, practical, rwd coupe that focuses on driver involvement.

The other cars in this price range have their flaws too.

Yep. Low mounted V engines can be great.

FR Boxer engines are idiotic.

People say all sorts of shit about how idiotic rotary engines, but no, boxer engines in a FR car are far worse.
At least a rotary has lots of benefits to offset the drawbacks. A boxer engine in FR configuration has nothing but draw backs unless you make a foot and a half longer hood to make it front midship yet still have room for the driver's and passenger's feet.

I'm simply reminded of how superior the RX-8 was to the FR-S. Entire engine is behind the front crossmember, let alone the axle. It's so much lower down since it's not over top of it. Better weight distribution. Better comfort for both front and rear. Better in every way except fuel economy as long as you don't have the pre-2009 models that were riddled with issues.

> It was made to be economical
It's fuel economy sucks, though. The MX-5's is so much better despite being a convertible. And I'm sure it's far lower cost to own with its Skyactiv engine instead of the FA20.

What a joke.

Yeah I own one and the gas mileage is ass for what it is. I attribute part of it to the short gears, but the miata doesn't even have an overdrive gear where the 86 has one.

The MX-5 gears are even shorter than the FR-S.

I don't think there is any car sold in America with shorter gears than the new MX-5.

That's was my point. It could definitely be better. Toyota should have teamed up with Mazda and made a coupe miata with their own engine.

Mazda won't even build another rotary car.

A gullwing Toyobaru would be fucking legit.
I'd buy it.

This guy gets it

>front-midship

No. There is no fucking way in hell the center of mass of that engine is behind the front axle. Fuck you toyota.

please tell me all of that isn't just for conefagging.

The C6 Z06 has a 16.6" COG, it's the lowest that Car and Driver have ever measured on a production road car.

Telsa Model S is 17.0"

>C6 Z06 has a 16.6" COG
>V8 lower than early 90s rotary

nah

OK