Oldest car that can be used as a reliable daily driver?

What would be the oldest car you'd consider a viable choice for daily driving including freeway commuting? A rust patina is fine but has to be 100% original and not restored or modified with any newer technology.

Other urls found in this thread:

365daysofa.com/
asheville.craigslist.org/cto/5876490392.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on the climate

literally everything can be a dd with proper tires. only thing holding you back is your inability to turn a wrench

Part availability will be your biggest enemy unless you do an engine and driveline swap eventually.

Mid 80s is the most reasonable and still being able to readily repair, and even then I would add that it should be pretty spartan in modern luxuries to keep chances of something critical breaking down (power steering pump)

If it's rusted out on the body, it's probably rusted out on the undercarriage.

You can dd old cars, but you probably have to restore them either preventatively or as you go. Eg: something breaks, fully replace it and do it with something better.

I dd an 1986 AE82 Corolla, it's possible but as others said, parts are eventually going to break (Age/Corrosion/Rust) and you'll need to know how to general wrenching.

I used to DD a stock '73 F100. Never had any real issues with it. Drove well enough, got decent gas mileage, parts were easy to get. Oldest thing I'd probably DD would be a fifties Impala, Buick or Caddy.

Old ladies drive their 50's cars with armstrong steering. Don't be a pussy.

The oldest car I'd consider would be mid 1950s because cars earlier than that weren't really intended for freeway use because there weren't many freeways to begin with. Post WWII were when freeways started to come along.

I currently DD a completely stock AE86 GT-S in the summer and it works well enough.

Anything that uses a 12 volt electrical system, about mid 50's for most makes.

I've been driving an aircooled 1200cc 1969 Karmann Ghia for the last 4 years, almost every day.

It just takes a little extra maintenance.
That, and if you want spirited driving, it's a lot less forgiving.

Even in the 60s freeways had speed limits of 55 mph most commonly though my dude

43 ford truck

you are really tempting fate to dd anything with 4 wheel manual drum brakes

just my two cents

I remember the first time I locked up all 4 wheels and slid into an intersection. Good times.

Any age will do as long as it has cruise control and decent power for climbing 2000ft of elevation. 35 miles of interstate wouldn't be fun without cruise.

Yep. My great grandma drove her '67 Impala daily til she passed a few years ago.

Power brakes and steering start to be common options in the 50s

What's wrong with the earlier 6v systems that used generators?

A properly looked after car will happily serve as a DD.

Power brakes and a modern radio are nice though.

365daysofa.com/
>dome dude using a 1930 Ford A as his only DD for a whole year
>both he and the car survived it

Driving a Series LandRover from 1981 is pretty much the same thing as driving a Ford Model A from 50 years earlier.

You can daily any car as long as you cab find parts, and you can do all maintenance yourself.

Also, remember not all cars are geared to drive at motorway speeds.

>not restored or modified with any newer technology.
Does that include hardened valve seats?
Personally I wouldn't enjoy driving anything with 4 wheel drum brakes. I also don't care for carbs after 72 as emissions hoops cause issues.

I daily drove a 240z and triumph tr-6 for a few years in college. 240z fuse box melted once and the clutch cylinder failed. That wasn't a design issue as much as a maintance issue. The tr6 fuel pump failed, again it was just old.

My moms boyfriend had an old F100. It was fitted out for drag racing and my mom daily drove that 4 mpg bitch. Shit was loud as fuck. Always felt cool being 6 years old riding in that thing.

That's awesome. 65mph top speed and cabin heater means it's DD material.

VW Beetle. Put airplane parts in it. Airplane parts plus Karmann over engineering more reliable than 99% of cars on the road. Also prep for an EMP apocalypse.

If you don't live in a cuck state with vehicle inspections most post-72 carbed engines with emissions bs can be easily dealt with.
-Tune your carb
-EGR and AIR system delete
-Headers or better flowing manifolds

I noticed better mpgs and performance on my stock 360 with a quadrajet

Anybody ever contract out a resto-mod job? Experience?

I've got $35K burning a hole in my pocket and want something really unique. I don't have the time and skills to do it myself, aside from basic weekend stuff.

I realize it would be worth less than I paid for it. So are all new cars. But it would likely still be worth half in 10 years, which you can't say about new cars.

Any toyota or honda. Japs make the best cars

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the engine in one of these holds the record for highest known mileage in the world.

I would probably try myself at a /8 coupe IF I weren't completely clueless about wrenching and if winter rust weren't a concern.

That was a P1800, and the guy changes his oil roughly 30 times a year.

that could be right, i once met this old ass guy who did 1,000,000 km's on it. the car still looked decent too. only the driver seat was starting to tear and the chrome was starting to pit.

this one is nice too

asheville.craigslist.org/cto/5876490392.html

> 65mph top speed

So it's faster than a lot of modern European 0.9l diesels? wew.

Its not though

I have a 66 mustang with a I6/auto
Is it alright to daily? Assuming I BABY the trans.