Is it cheaper to run Summer+Winter tyres for their respective seasons...

Is it cheaper to run Summer+Winter tyres for their respective seasons, or just one set of all seasons for the whole year?

I imagine that it's still cheaper to use all seasons, but it also makes sense that rubber designed to fare well in "all seasons" might not survive as well at the extremes as winter/summer tyres.

Other urls found in this thread:

gregsmithequipment.com/Heavy-Duty-Manual-Tire-Changer?gclid=Cj0KEQiApqTCBRC-977Hi9Ov8pkBEiQA5B_ipS5pd85rJVoyZcr_V9cwOQqx3_iJ3gf2KIBiCjzFSeQaAi268P8HAQ
goodyear.com/en-US/tires/assurance-all-season#collapseWarranty
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you want to die? If so, run all seasons all the time.

exactly. all seasons will outlast both summer and winter tires cause theyre hard as fuck and dont grip for shit in either situation

Veeky Forums fucking hates all seasons you might as well just use summer tires all year. If you must use the same ties all year it's SAFEST to use winter tires all year but they will wear out faster when it's hot

>Is it cheaper to run Summer+Winter tyres for their respective seasons, or just one set of all seasons for the whole year?
its obviously cheaper to run all seasons. One set of tires is way less maintenance. With winter and snow tires you either have to have a completely separate set of wheels to put them on or you have to pay to have them mounted and demounted every semester.

Summer tires are made of a rubber (and have a special tread) that enables them to grip better on dry, hard, soft surfaces. They fair poorly in heavy rain, and will lose traction easily if any debris gets under them. They also operate poorly in cold temperatures.

Winter tires are made of a rubber (and with a special tread) that grip better in cold temperatures. Their tread enables them to dig through snow effectively. They're loud and don't have as good tread on surfaces that aren't snow and ice. This is why its recommended that unless your region is unusually cold or experiences heavy snow, all seasons will do the job just fine.

summer slicks are a bit of a novelty for sporty type cars. All seasons have a jack of all trades performance to them where they're good at gripping in the summer and winter while not being optimal for either.

All seasons tires are designed to survive any season.

all seasons are shitty in winter, i drive one of my trucks in winter and just have all-weather tires on it. theyre actually extremely close to a winter tire but you can safely run them in summer without being chewed up, my current Nokian ones have lasted me almost a decade now. rarely do i need 4x4

my old 4x2 Nissan KingCab i had all-seasons, got stuck good a few times

>pay to have them mounted and demounted every semester.
Why can't you do it for free?

Do you have a tool to mount the tire on the rim?

3 machines at work and numerous other friends at shops I could use or they'd do it for me.

OOOOORRRRRR if you're on the wrong board here
5 seconds on google
gregsmithequipment.com/Heavy-Duty-Manual-Tire-Changer?gclid=Cj0KEQiApqTCBRC-977Hi9Ov8pkBEiQA5B_ipS5pd85rJVoyZcr_V9cwOQqx3_iJ3gf2KIBiCjzFSeQaAi268P8HAQ

Sure you have machines at work and friends at shops. But most people don't have access to that and they only have tools to basic things to simply change tires. So they either buy 4 new wheels to mount winter tires on or they simply skip all that and just use all-seasons year round which is what 90% of americans do

>spend 150 dollars to mount and demount your tires
or avoid this and just run all seasons.

From my experience cost is the same, but performance clearly isn't.

You'll have to buy two sets of tires if you go summer-winter, by going all season you'll only have to buy one. BUT you will wear this set twice as fast because you'll use it all year round, and it won't be as efficient as summer tires, and not as gripy as winter tires. So in the end you'll pay the same for tires, but will pay more for fuel in summer and might "pay" it with an accident in winter.

But that's only the experience I've had (eastern France - Germany if that makes a difference). I've had a set of AS Michelin and a summer-winter kit (Goodyear summer - Michelin winter) on the same car.

>Summer tyres on nice alloys
>Winter tyres on shitty steel wheels

PROBLEM:SOLUTION

Or just run all seasons

Constantly swapping tires on rims will wear out or stress the bead, no? Steelies are like $50 a piece and definitely worth it.

and pay 110/hr in labor for someone at a dealership to do it or a local shop at 70/hr.
Thats the cheapest not the easiest solution but those manual machines do work unless you're stretching tires or doing big truck tires.

I don't think so but its a thing you have to do every spring and fall so why go through the trouble?

The tire is meant to bend and flex. The wires under the tread won't break and neither will the metal band in the wall.

>and pay 110/hr in labor for someone at a dealership to do it or a local shop at 70/hr.
At a dealership to do what? You've got all seasons! you'll never have to change tires yearly.

All seasons a shit. In the long run, after the rims anyway, they work out to be about the same.

Buy summers, run for 7,000 miles in the summer. 30,000 mile lifespan, last 4 years.

Buy winters, run for same miles, same lifespan for a non-ice studless tire, last the same 4 years.

Now you have $800 worth of tires that last 4 years, so about $200/year.

Buy all seasons, run for 14,000 miles/year. 30,000 mile life. Tires last 2 years. Assuming you spend the same $100 per tire on the all seasons, it's still $200/year.

The benefit of having different season tires is that you can get summers that will last 50k miles or more, if you don't have a need for buckets of grip on your commute to work. But with the separate set of winters, you're also not sacrificing safety in the winter months.

This really only applies if you live somewhere with snow. If you're south of the mason-dixon line, all seasons will do just fine.

So whats the plan when the all seasons are bald?

You change them, they last for years.

What do you do when your slicks or winter tires go bald?

regroove them

>all seasons that only last 30k
goodyear.com/en-US/tires/assurance-all-season#collapseWarranty

65k warranty on normal use these things last way longer than you think

You're still paying me to change the tires.
mint kid
concrete tires
Most last between 25k-35k depends whether you're alignment gets fucked up, drive like an idiot, burnouts ect. Here in the North you hit 2 potholes and it's all fucked.

Yeh, so run those in the summer and get a decent set of winters if you live where it snows. Or just run them year round if "winter" in your area means rain and 40 degrees.

Wouldn't recommend them for my area, but that's just me. Saw 2 wrecks and half a dozen cars stuck on a gentle incline this past Monday. There was about 2 inches of snow with some ice under it. Fine if you had winter tires, nightmare from hell (apparently) with pretty much anything else.

>Most last between 25k-35k depends whether you're alignment gets fucked up, drive like an idiot, burnouts ect. Here in the North you hit 2 potholes and it's all fucked.
So you describe normal use in your first post then change up to "your alignment gets fucked, drive like an idiot, burnouts."

A normal user isn't doing burnouts

>you hit two potholes and suddenly your all seasons need to be replaced!
and somehow this wouldn't happen to a winter or summer tire?

It would be even more cost efficient to just do All-seasons mixed with winter tires. Your all seasons last way longer than slicks, your winter tires removes strain from your all-seasons

Then again the OP used the term "tyre" so I assume he's British and doesn't actually get significant snow at all

I only work on about 5-10 cars a day and have been doing it for years so I've absolutely never noticed tread wear patterns but so you know you're accusing me for saying something a different user said. Difficult when it's user

Are perelli p zero all season plus tires good for winters?

>tfw Hankook all seasons