The Council of Nicea

Let me preface this by saying I am, indeed, a Christian and have been for several years. Before that, I was raised in a Christian household and am apart of a long line of believers. Take that as you will.

So, recently, I've developed a deep interest in extrabiblical and deuterocanonical texts. The Gospel of Thomas, the Wisdom of Solomon, the Didache, etc. Mostly, how these books were rejected (and others were not) as part of what is Biblical canon.

Christians traditionally hold that men, under the influence of the Holy Spirit, wrote the texts of the Bible (consisting of historical documents, personal journals of prophecy and life experiences, poetry, letters, etc) and that it was at the 4th century Council of Nicea where they, allegedly under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, compiled the 66 "books" that span from a period of millennia into what we know as the Bible today.

Some books were an obvious inclusion; the books of Moses, no question. The major prophets, same story. Then, it gets tricky. The Psalms, the biggest book in the Bible, probably had to be compiled as a separate project, too, right? I mean, there are more than 100 chapters/psalms/writings in that book itself. David is attributed to a lot of them, but what about the rest? How'd they make it into the Psalms? Then, on a wider scale, what about the rest of the minor prophetic books? Which Gospels? Which letters of Paul? Why on earth 2 and 3 John which are so short and seemingly very, very inconsequential? Why the Revelation of John and not Peter, whom the church was "build upon?"

I guess I have a few questions I'd like to discuss.

>What were the criteria for including a book in Biblical canon?
>Where did this idea of infallibility of this particular compilation originate?
>Why do we/the church/etc not add new books periodically? Either upon discovery or new revelation? Why is biblical canon "closed?"

Just interested in a discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athanasius_of_Alexandria
ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf206.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3QWB1mtZhQo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the criterias came from this gentleman in the pix who said
>You all are rustling my jimmies
>you have 3 days to finish or I hang you all

hello botched work

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athanasius_of_Alexandria
Ask this Saint. Read up on theach Holy Father's in general.

sweet bait, delicious

Nicaea did not adress canon in any way. Stop listening to muslims
The first ecumenical council to declare a council was the council of Trent, which included the apocryphal deuterocanon. The Eastern Orthodox still do not require acceptance of the deuterocanon, and Christians reject the deuterocanon as canon, and rightly so.

to declare a canon*

The modern Bible came to be at the council of Carthage, not nicae

You moron.

The Eastern Orthodox takes the Deuterocanon as Scripture

Same with everyone else during the time of Nicaea, before and after. The only difference was how much of it is scripture.

Some even disregard as canonical some of the NT books as the Peshitta shows

If any, all this really shows is Protestants going "muh Appcrypha isn't Biblical" aren't even knowledgable of history or outright alter it

Constantine?

>The Eastern Orthodox takes the Deuterocanon as Scripture
False, they neither accept nor reject it.
>Same with everyone else during the time of Nicaea, before and after.
*tips mitre*
>Some even disregard as canonical some of the NT books
So?
>If any, all this really shows is Protestants going "muh Appcrypha isn't Biblical" aren't even knowledgable of history or outright alter it
You're projecting
In reality, rejection of the Apocrypha as scripture skyrocketed prior to the Reformation. Even Cardinal Cajetan, who tried Luther for heresy, rejected the deuterocanon. Trent declared it canon in response to Protestants rejecting it.

No

Just someone who knows the true story on this subject

He has a writing style closer to the Malaysian autist than Constie. I've never seen Constantine insult someone.

>true story
Roman delusion*

They do moron.

Stop lying to yourself

In fact before Nicaea, some non canonical books are even Scripture to some fathers. Like Irenaeus on Hermas.

The fact that one can find plenty of fathers citing books of the deuterocanon as Scripture is evident that it is canonical to varying degrees. This also ends up being the reason why the various Orthodox churches EO and OO don't even have the same canon.

In reality, Church Fathers all unanimously accepted the Deuterocanon

Even Athanasius who is cited as didn't cites them as Scripture

Stay mad loser

Let us see now if in these cases we are not forced to the conclusion, that while the Saviour gives a true account of them, none of the Scriptures which could prove what He tells are to be found. For they who build the tombs of the prophets and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, condemning the crimes their fathers committed against the righteous and the prophets, say, "If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets."[2] In the blood of what prophets, can any one tell me? For where do we find anything like this written of Esaias, or Jeremias, or any of the twelve, or Daniel? Then about Zacharias the son of Barachias, who was slain between the temple and the altar, we learn from Jesus only, not knowing it otherwise from any Scripture. Wherefore I think no other supposition is possible, than that they who had the reputation of wisdom, and the rulers and elders, took away from the people every passage which might bring them into discredit among the people. We need not wonder, then, if this history of the evil device of the licentious elders against Susanna is true, but was concealed and removed from the Scriptures by men themselves not very far removed from the counsel of these elders. Origen,To Africanus,9(ante A.D. 254),in ANF,IV:389

"But he ought to know that those who wish to live according to the teaching of Sacred Scripture understand the saying, 'The knowledge of the unwise is as talk without sense,' [Sirach 21:18] and have learnt 'to be ready always to give an answer to everyone that asketh us a reason for the hope that is in us.’ [1 Pt 3:15] " Origen, Against Celsus, 7:12 (A.D. 248),in ANF, IV:615

Explain this

"[T]he sacred writers to whom the Son has revealed Him, have given us a certain image from things visible, saying, 'Who is the brightness of His glory, and the Expression of His Person;' [Heb 1:3] and again, 'For with Thee is the well of life, and in Thy light shall we see lights;' [Ps 36:9] and when the Word chides Israel, He says, 'Thou hast forsaken the Fountain of wisdom;' [Baruch 3:12] and this Fountain it is which says, 'They have forsaken Me the Fountain of living waters' [Jer 2:13]" [3] Athanasius the Great: Defense of the Nicene Faith,2 (A.D. 351), in NPNF2, IV:158.

>PROTNIGGERS CAANOOT FACE FACTS

Oh, it's you.
Could you please fuck off back to /pol/ with the other swine?

You who can't accept the facts I post is the autist here

Shouldn't you be posting in all caps?

PROTNIGGERS CANNOT HANDLE IT WHEN REAL HISTORY IS HANDED TO THEM

OH THE DEUTEROCANON IS NEVER ACCEPTED

WRONG DUMB PROT

"And where the sacred writers say, Who exists before the ages,' and 'By whom He made the ages,’ [Heb 1:2] they thereby as clearly preach the eternal and everlasting being of the Son, even while they are designating God Himself. Thus, if Isaiah says, 'The Everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth;’ [Is 40:28] and Susanna said, 'O Everlasting God;' [Daniel 13:42-Susanna] and Baruch wrote, 'I will cry unto the Everlasting in my days,' and shortly after, 'My hope is in the Everlasting, that He will save you, and joy is come unto me from the Holy One;' [Baruch 4:20,22]" Athanasius the Great: Discourses Against the Arians, 1:4 (A.D. 362), in NPNF2, IV:313

Since, however, after all his severe sufferings, after his retirement into Gaul, after his sojourn in a foreign and far distant country in the place of his own, after his narrow escape from death through their calumnies, but thanks to the clemency of the Emperor,- -distress which would have satisfied even the most cruel enemy,-- they are still insensible to shame, are again acting insolently against the Church and Athanasius; and from indignation at his deliverance venture on still more atrocious schemes against him, and are ready with an accusation, fearless of the words in holy Scripture, 'A false witness shall not be unpunished;’ [Proverbs 19:5] and, 'The mouth that belieth slayeth the soul;' (Wisdom 1:11) we therefore are unable longer to hold our peace, being amazed at their wickedness and at the insatiable love of contention displayed in their intrigues. [Athanasius the Great: Defence Against the Arians, 3 (A.D. 362), in NPNF2, IV:101

What books of the bible did they write again?

I think that most of the old testament, following from the example of Ecclesiastes, are derived from an earlier oral-based Hebrew culture and merely recorded at a later date.

The Spirit also, who is in him, commands, saying, 'Offer unto God the sacrifice of praise, and pay to the Lord thy vows. Offer the sacrifice of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord (Sir. 18:17).') [Athanasius the Great: Letter 19, 5 (A.D. 333), in NPNF2, IV:546

Explain this

Constantine will insult people in exclusively biblical terms, not with regular insults.

IGNORING MAIN POINT OF ARGUMENT

PROTTIES BTFO

It was the twelfth year of the rule of Nebuchadnezzar, who ruled the Assyrians in the great city of Nineveh.
This is the very first verse in the book of Judith. Already it has historical error, in the very first verse.

Explain this

2. The Divine Nature then it is impossible to see with eyes of flesh: but from the works, which are Divine, it is possible to attain to some conception of His power, according to Solomon, who says, "For by the greatness and beauty of the creatures proportionally the Maker of them is seen" (Wis 13:5). He said not that from the creatures the Maker is seen, but added proportionably. For God appears the greater to every man in proportion as he has grasped a larger survey of the creatures: and when his heart is uplifted by that larger survey, he gains withal a greater conception of God. 3. Wouldest thou learn that to comprehend the nature of God is impossible? The Three Children in the furnace of fire, as they hymn the praises of God, say "Blessed art thou that beholdest the depths, and sittest upon the Cherubim" (Song of the Three Children, 32, or in Daniel 3, between verses 23 and 24, there are 68 verses, of which this is verse 32. This is part of the Deuterocanonical portion). Tell me what is the nature of the Cherubim, and then look upon Him who sitteth upon them. And yet Ezekiel the Prophet even made a description of them, as far as was possible, saying that every one has four faces, one of a man, another of a lion, another of an eagle, and another of a calf; and that each one had six wings (Ezek. 1:6-11), and they had eyes on all sides; and that under each one was a wheel of four sides. Nevertheless though the Prophet makes the explanation, we cannot yet understand it even as we read. But if we cannot understand the throne, which he has described, how shall we be able to comprehend Him who sitteth thereon, the Invisible and Ineffable God? To scrutinize then the nature of God is impossible: but it is in our power to send up praises of His glory for His works that are seen. Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, NPNF2, Lecture IX:2-3, Volume 7, p. 51.

what denomination is this?

>op posts an interesting and well thought out thread
>torn apart again by denominational shit-flinging

Just make /christian/ and be done with it

YOU DUMBASS

JUDITH WAS MEANT TO BE A FOLK TALE

More like torn apart by Malaysian shitposting

Such suggestions are inconsistent with the clear sense of Scripture For all things, as the Prophet says [ref 2 Maccabees 7:28], were made out of nothing; it was no transformation of existing things, but the creation into a perfect form of the non-existent." Hilary of Poitiers, On the Trinity, 4:16 (A.D. 359), in NPNF2, IX:76

TORN APART BY PROTTIENIGGERS

So in other words uninspired and extra biblical?

Pride is of course the root of all evil, of which it is said, as Scripture bears witness: Pride is the beginning of all sin. (Sirach 10:26) Moreover; proliferating from this poisonous root as its first offspring are seven capital sins: vainglory, envy, anger malancholy, avarice, gluttony, lust. For because he grieved that we were held in bondage by these seven derivatives of pride, on that account our Redeemer, full of the spirit of sevenfold grace, joined spiritual battle for our liberation. St. Gregory the Great, A Synthesis of Moralia in Job, Part 1, Book 3, p. 85.

>taken as canonical by church fathers
>ignores
>ITT PROTNIGGERS OWNED TO SHIT

The former, it is said by Holy Scripture: Do not become like the horse and the mule which have no understanding (Psalm 31:9). The proud effort of the latter is blamed when it is said: Seek not the things that are too high for thee, and search not into things above thy ability (Sirach 3:22). To the former it is said: Mortify your members which are upon the earth: fornication, uncleanness, lust, eveil consupiscence (Col. 3:5), to the latter it is said: Beware lest any man cheat you by philosophy and vain deceipt (Col. 2:8) St. Gregory the Great, A Synthesis of Moralia in Job, Book 1, Part 3, 21, p. 116

"And in the proverbs Solomon tells us that as "the north wind driveth away rain, so doth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue.(Prov. 25:23)" It sometimes happens that an arrow when it is aimed at a hard object rebounds upon the bowman, wounding the would-bewounder, and thus, the words are fulfilled, "they were turned aside like a deceitful bow," (Psalm 128:57) and in another passage: "whoso casteth a stone on high casteth it on his own head." (Sir. 27:25) Jerome, To Rusticus, Epistle 125, 19 (A.D. 404), in NPNF2, VI:251

(((You)))

The compiling of the Bible was a long draw out affair that was part of all manner of politics, both secular and religious. The sheer fact that Marion HAD to be upstaged is proof alone that the Bible is the product of political meddling.

There are going tk be inconsistences and disagreements. It's a flawed text made by flawed hands that has been subject to flawed translations by flawed men and is taken as absolute divine infallible truth by many groups that have their own political and theological agendas. This thread was doomed from the start, and any thread on the subject will be as long as Christians are allowed to comment on it.

what has this board become

STAY MAD PROTESTCUNT

PROTNIGGERS BTFO

NOW ACCEPT THE TRUTH I POST ITT

"I would cite the words of the psalmist: 'the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,’ [Ps 51:17] and those of Ezekiel 'I prefer the repentance of a sinner rather than his death,’ [Ez 18:23] AND THOSE OF BARUCH,'Arise, arise, O Jerusalem,’ [Baruch 5:5] AND MANY OTHER PROCLAMATIONS MADE BY THE TRUMPETS OF THE PROPHETS." Jerome, To Oceanus, Epistle 77:4 (A.D. 399), in NPNF2, VI:159

Now you're just lying. It's an undisputed fact that Jerome rejected the Apocrypha.

>cites direct from Jerome
>his late stage
>no alterations
>lying

PROTLOGIC 101

Does not the SCRIPTURE say: 'Burden not thyself above thy power' [SIRACH 13:2] Jerome, To Eustochium, Epistle 108 (A.D. 404), in NPNF2, VI:207

Do not, my dearest brother, estimate my worth by the number of my years. Gray hairs are not wisdom; it is wisdom which is as good as gray hairs At least that is what Solomon says: "wisdom is the gray hair unto men.’ [Wisdom 4:9]" Moses too in choosing the seventy elders is told to take those whom he knows to be elders indeed, and to select them not for their years but for their discretion (Num. 11:16)? And, as a boy, Daniel judges old men and in the flower of youth condemns the incontinence of age (Daniel 13:55-59, or Story of Susannah 55-59, only found in the Catholic Bibles) Jerome, To Paulinus, Epistle 58 (A.D. 395), in NPNF2, VI:119

"Yet the Holy Spirit in the thirty-ninth(9) psalm, while lamenting that all men walk in a vain show, and that they are subject to sins, speaks thus: "For all that every man walketh in the image."(Psalm 39:6) Also after David's time, in the reign of Solomon his son, we read a somewhat similar reference to the divine likeness. For in the book of Wisdom, which is inscribed with his name, Solomon says: "God created man to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity."(Wisdom 2:23) And again, about eleven hundred and eleven years afterwards, we read in the New Testament that men have not lost the image of God. For James, an apostle and brother of the Lord, whom I have mentioned above--that we may not be entangled in the snares of Origen--teaches us that man does possess God's image and likeness. For, after a somewhat discursive account of the human tongue, he has gone on to say of it: "It is an unruly evil ... therewith bless we God, even the Father and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God."(James 3:8-9) Paul, too, the "chosen vessel,"(Acts 9:15) who in his preaching has fully maintained the doctrine of the gospel, instructs us that man is made in the image and after the likeness of God. "A man," he says, "ought not to wear long hair, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God."(1 Cor. 11:7) He speaks of "the image" simply, but explains the nature of the likeness by the word "glory."

7. Instead of THE THREE PROOFS FROM HOLY SCRIPTURE which you said would satisfy you if I could produce them, BEHOLD I HAVE GIVEN YOU SEVEN"--- Jerome, Letter 51, 6, 7, NPNF2, VI:87-8

I'm guessing "NPNF2" is put out by the Vatican?

Google "indulgences explained".

A. "Your argument is ingenious, but you do not see THAT IT GOES AGAINST HOLY SCRIPTURE, which declares that even ignorance is not without sin. Hence it was that Job offered sacrifices for his sons, test, perchance, they had unwittingly sinned in thought. And if, when one is cutting wood, the axe-head flies from the handle and kills a man, the owner is[Num. 35:8] commanded to go to one of the cities of refuge and stay there until the high priest dies; that is to say, until he is redeemed by the Saviour's blood, either in the baptistery, or in penitence which is a copy of the grace of baptism, through the ineffable mercy of the Saviour, who[Ezek. 18:23] would not have any one perish, nor delights in the death of sinners, but would rather that they should be converted and live. C. It is surely strange justice to hold me guilty of a sin of error of which my conscience does not accuse itself. I am not aware that I have sinned, and am I to pay the penalty for an offence of which I am ignorant? What more can I do, if I sin voluntarily?
A. DO YOU EXPECT ME TO EXPLAIN THE PURPOSES AND PLANS OF GOD? THE BOOK OF WISDOM GIVES AN ANSWER TO YOUR FOOLISH QUESTION: [Sir 3:21] "LOOK NOT INTO THINGS ABOVE THEE, AND SEARCH NOT THINGS TOO MIGHTY FOR THEE." AND ELSEWHERE,[5] "Make not thyself overwise, and argue not more than is fitting." And in the same place, "In wisdom and simplicity of heart seek God." You will perhaps deny the authority of this book;" "Jerome, "Against the Pelagians, NPNF2, VI:464-5"

No. Use your words.

>NPNF2
>Vatican
ITS THE PROTTIES DUMBASS

ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf206.html

"And in the proverbs Solomon tells us that as "the north wind driveth away rain, so doth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue.(Prov. 25:23)" It sometimes happens that an arrow when it is aimed at a hard object rebounds upon the bowman, wounding the would-bewounder, and thus, the words are fulfilled, "they were turned aside like a deceitful bow," (Psalm 128:57) and in another passage: "whoso casteth a stone on high casteth it on his own head." (Sir. 27:25) Jerome, To Rusticus, Epistle 125, 19 (A.D. 404), in NPNF2, VI:251

It doesn't matter, it's still proddy garbage:
youtube.com/watch?v=3QWB1mtZhQo

Some of us already browse /christian/ ;^)

The curch was Protestant for over 1,000 years.

I won't spoon feed you. Stop vomiting stale anti-Catholic memes and do your own research.

Why do Catholics think attacking Luther does anything to Protestants? It's like Fundamentalists pointing out Darwin's inaccuracies/missteps thinking that would disprove evolution as a whole.

No.

Study Church history.

My own research led me to stop vomiting stale Papist memes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

EXPLAIN THIS

I am

>Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.
Matthew 7:15-20

What don't you understand?

The Pope is said false prophet all popes are

MY OWN RESEARCH SHOWS PROTTIES TO BE ILLGETIMATE

Peter was a bad tree because he bore the bad fruit of the medieval Catholic popes/church.

>1629986
If i take away your (You)'s, would you die?

Peter was Protestant

I WILL DESTROY PROTNIGGERS IN EVERY THREAD THEY POST IN

STAY MAD HISTORY DISPROVES YOU

PROTESTANTS

Pic is the Catholic Christ

fug

PROTESTANTS DO THIS?

PROTTIES DO THIS?

One flock, one shepherd. John 10:16. One Church, one Pope.

>"This Church is holy, the one Church, the true Church, the Catholic Church, fighting as she does against all heresies. She can fight, but she cannot be beaten. All heresies are expelled from her, like the useless loppings pruned from a vine. She remains fixed in her root, in her vine, in her love. The gates of hell shall not conquer her."
St. Augustine, Sermon to Catechumens, on the Creed, 6,14, AD 395

>But, even the Church itself by itself, because of its marvelous propagation, its exceptional holiness, and inexhaustible fruitfulness in all good works; because of its catholic unity and invincible stability, is a very great and perpetual motive of credibility, and an incontestable witness of its own divine mission.
Vatican I, Session 3, Chapter 3, AD 1870

Non praevalebunt, my sad proddy friend.

(You)

Go sip your wine and chew your crackers you damn fool

EXPLAIN THIS

PROTTIES BE MAD HISTORY IS AGAINST THEM

>one shepherd
Jesus
>Non praevalebunt
That was about Protestants, not Catholics

Luther would have found that image blasphemous, and the people in that video probably deny as heresy everything that Luther, Calvin, Melanchthon, Bucer, Peter Martyr, Zwingli, Petri, Karlstadt, Trubar, Oecolampadius, Osiander, Agricola, and all the other Reformers and their heirs taught.

You keep using that word "Protestant." I do not think it means what you think it means.

PROTTIES DO THIS?

THIS KILLS THE PRODDIE

PRODDIES BTFO

Jesus is not walking around on this planet anymore, or are you perhaps denying His Ascension? He built His Church upon Saint Peter as Scripture makes it clear:

>And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Matthew 16:18-19

"Binding and loosing" is a phrase which comes from the rabbis. It refers to the authority to make decisions binding on the people of God.

As for your preposterous second statement, no, He was talking about the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church which He founded Himself, NOT the 30000+ proddy denominations.

Nothing highlighted there contradicts sola scriptura or the Protestant view of the canon.

The origional church of Christ was founded not on a person such as Peter but on a confession of faith that Peter gave.

Therefore the church that Christ founded was one on doctrine,the doctrines which are found and taught in the holy scriptures only.

lmao Protestants officially btfo

>Luther would have found that image blasphemous
He was the pawn of Satan and the father of 30000+ harlot daughters.

>I'm not like these protestants!!11
Sorry special snowflake but you are as lost as your fellow proddies.

IT DOES YOU MORON

ONCE WE ACCEPTED THAT THE BIBLE IS DERIVED FROM TRADITION AND TRADITION IS HOW THE CHURCH RECOGNIZED THE CANON WHICH WAS NEVER EVEN CONSENSUALLY AGREED UPON, THE WHOLE MYTH OF SOLA SCRIPTURA FALLS TO THE GROUND

IN FACT TRADITION IS KEY TO THE BIBLE AS IT MUST BE READ IN THE CONTEXT THAT FORMED IT

OH HEY SCRIPTURE IS THE AUTHORITY OF ALL MATTERS OF FAITH

TRADITION IS VALID BECAUSE IT AGREES WITH SCRIPTURE

ISNT THIS SOLO SCRIPTURA