How old were you when you first learned how to drive?

How old were you when you first learned how to drive?

[spoiler]don't tell me you were 16[/spoiler]

Okay, I won't.

I was 14.

I'm 26 and I'm just learning.

literally 12

12, thanks to constantly asking my dad to take me driving

10 thanks to gran turismo, although I didn't get my license till 24. So when I touched the wheel I already knew wtf to do. Live for speed with a wheel helped also.

>tfw driving in 1989

I was born with the ability and absorbed the skills through observation. Driving is something that shouldn't need to be taught.

Learned a four wheeler at 6
Learned manual at 8
Learned a tractor at 8
Learned to back a four wheel trailer at 9
Learned a truck with 2 speed axle at 12

Dad sat me on his lap and let me steer at 4

Learned four wheeler at 6

Snowmobile at 8

A truck and a assortment of cars at 12. My dad let me drive everywhere at that age.

27 here and in the same boat. Damn jobs thinking you can only reliably be on time if you drive.

I've had my learners since 2013 and I'm just now learning at the age of 21.

>after two years of motorcycling

It doesn't matter honestly.

23, no kidding

I did fuck around in my dad's car by taking off the handbrake sliding it down the street et cetera

23. I was a late starter, and a NEET for a long time.
Only bought my first car at 26, because I couldn't afford insurance without a job. I was borrowing my mother's car in the meantime.

>you can only reliably be on time if you drive
But it's TRUE. Buses are unreliable.

16, drove up and down the driveway a few times when I was 15.

We were coming back from a fishing trip so my Dad thought it would be the perfect time to teach me how to drive, if you could call it that. It was a dirt road, straight as an arrow and in an automatic. I kept the wheel straight and my foot still, and would pull over for other cars if they appeared. Wouldn't drive again until I was 16, because that's the law here.

like 11 or 12

Dad let me shift the gears sometimes when I was really little, then as soon as I could hold the wheel with both hands, he sat me in his lap and let me steer.

I think I was no older than 6 years the first time he let me change the brake pads all by myself, too. Good times.

Dad let me creep a car into the garage with him sitting in the passenger seat, hand ready on the park brake, when I was 11. I got my learner permit when I was 17 but I was lazy about going for the test and didn't get off my learners permit until I was 19. A year and a bit later I moved states while I was on my provisional license and the new state said my time on my old state's provisional license wasn't transferable so the counter basically got reset and I was on P-plates for almost 5-years until last February. Currently on a motorcycle learners.

>But it's TRUE. Buses are unreliable.
Buses maybe, but how are cars more reliable? You can just get stuck in traffic. Metro/trains have no downsides though.

>But it's TRUE. Buses are unreliable.

I walked and was never late.

>How old were you when you first learned how to drive?
ASAP, Learner permit allowed at 15 years AND 7 months.

But practice before then. My grandfather would park the car in the driveway and say to back it out and parallel park it along the curb. That was easy since there were no other cars in the way. I got to know where the tires were by the time I was able to take the drivers exam at 16. I totally aced the parallel parking as I did it in ONE try with zero back and forth and was 6 inches off the curb with BOTH front and back. Yes, I backed into the test spot and did not even need to move forward. I simply reversed into the spot and then shifted to park. The instructor gave me what was probably the max compliment - you parallel park better than I do.

I knew where my tires were. If it was an unfamiliar car or large car, I probably would have to go forward once or twice.

~10 with golf carts and ATVs
~14 for a real car
~26 for a motorcycle simply because i had enough money to buy one

17 I think, or 18

My mother's boyfriend taught me how to drive in his Miata when I was 13.

My dad taught me to drive stick at my age of 9 way far from Moscow, so the road would be empty.

I'm only learning just now at 20. Fuck, that's embarrassing.

I learned how to operate the car, steer, shift gears, accelerate and brake and all that at 13 I think

Actually driving on the road; started 16, got the license at 18 and learning every day

I always knew how to drive. When I was... 10 maybe? I went to some kid's birthday party at a go-kart track and the employees put me on the adult track instead of the speed limited kiddie one because I was big for my age. I instantly "got it", never once ran into a wall, was ripping around at top speed and loving it. Played racing games all my childhood and adolescence but could never afford a wheel. When I was 12 my mom let me drive a car back to our house from the mechanic a few miles away, autotragic but I didn't fuck up and she said it was scary how calm I was.
I drove some more because we lived in the boonies but I didn't bother actually getting permit/license until I was 17 because our family only had the two cars, one for dad to commute and one for mom to bring kids around and shop. I couldn't afford one myself and my parents wouldn't buy one so there was no point licensing and putting me on the insurance if I couldn't have the freedom. At 17 my grandfather gave me his old car and so I went to the DMV.

Meme response:
>I started delivering tofu for my dad when I was 13
Actual response:
I was 16 taking a class

>CAPTCHA: select the sushi

>has to renew in 2029
>not having a drivers license for life

Maybe 9? Grandpa put me on the lawn tractor, later the pickup to drive around the rye fields, later the real tractor around the empty field. And then the buick and you could get to crazy speeds like 40MPH.
>tfw drove the lawn tractor into a tree

My sister's highschool boyfriend taught me stick at like fucking 12 or something. Surprisingly easy.
>ok, always put down one foot at the same time you lift the the other
>mfw it works

My first time on a stick was in my grandma's B2200. I was nine.

around 3-8

got my licence around 17 but still drove around prior since i lived in the cuntryside

I knew how to drive when I was out the womb.

I "learned" how to drive when I was 14?

Officially however, at 16.

Are you me?

I was 8 the first time I was allowed to drive without supervision.

I took off in a bobcat without permission when I was 4.

Full disclosure, this was on field roads, not public roads.

16, in a five speed Dodge neon

14. I didn't live on a farm or out in the country or anything like that.

My family were poor during my teens, and my mum was a frigging mong about me learning how to drive, saying she "Doesn't want me on the roads, the drivers here are too dangerous"

It took me saving up for my car and buying professional lessons to get my license.

(Would recommend professional lessons, do them once a week for half a year and you're golden for a driving test. My instructor was an track day enthusiast as well, so once I was good enough to smash the test, he started teaching me maintenance and how to get hektik)

started at 17

I'm 60 now and still learning.

Tractors before I could even reach the pedals; real cars on real roads at exactly 15 1/2.

My dad out of nowhere had me drive his company van and the drivers seat seemed fucking huge in that van back then. Drove down our driveway a bit then turned around and as I was reversing to go back towards the house I backed it into the steel beam rack we had because I had no idea how long this huge fucking van was behind the wheel. Put a small dent under the right tail light. My dad was more pissed I kept spinning the tires than actually denting the van.

Hadn't really driven again until I was 16 and I was sensitive with the pedal because I always remembered my dad getting pissed I was over gassing it. Friends sometimes tease me because I tend to drive like a granny...

Its literally just going to the DMV and having a new photo taken, unless you have a medical condition. Then you need to bring a form from your doctor, saying that you're in condition to drive.

10, dad's work van with a trailer on the back.

Still working on getting my license now, at 19, because fuck Ontario.

Dad, get off Veeky Forums

I was 19 when I got my DL but I learned to drive long before that. Also didn't help that I was an illegal immigrant until I was almost 18.

fellow Albertafag and same, drove my grandmas Ford Tempo when i was 14 and my parents bought me a 1992 Nissan Maxima when i was 16

Never needed it previously as I had a driver, but upon deciding to take up motorsport I thought it a good idea to learn.

15 and a half automatic
18 manual

snowmobile at 10 or 11 not sure
50cc moped at 12
friend let me drive his unlicenced fwd shitbox at his grandmas house at 13 (his bro tried to dorifto with us in the backseat and crashed to a tree)

Dad took me to an empty parking lot to learn when i was 14 in a VW Cabriolet

you have to go back
but hey
atleast you can take the car

15 which is the age you can get your permit in Florida, or at least it was back then. No clue what it is now.

It's all genetix bro.

18, which was when I got my license, but I'm now relearning at 30 due to not having driven for 12 years. Let me tell you, it's a pain in the ass, I'm even considering taking driving lessons despite having bought a car of my own recently.

get a friend to help you
dont give your money to the teaching jew

A friend with a beater box is great because then the abuse doesn't even really matter. I still have no idea how a friend of mine made it back to the driveway considering the next morning I got in and stomped it to 6200RPM in reverse just to see if it would even lurch a little bit.

>already bought a new clutch
>well i guess this weekend is clutch weekend
>igaf fgt just get me some beer

The difficulty with this is that I don't have any close friends in the city. One mate I'd consider asking for help doesn't even have a license.

My good friend back from high school helped me when I was picking up my shitbox but he's from out of town.

I'm not saying I don't know how to drive at all but I'm not very confident in my abilities, plus parking gives me difficulties, especially on slopes.

This is also the best time of year to find a remote snowy place and get it sideways. One of the best ways to build confidence is to have a safe space to screw up until you learn how to manage it when it's pushed too far.

I did that with a different friend and got a phone call from his dad a few years later about being gobsmacked that all of a sudden his son came home over break and took the Porsche out like a pro.
>tfw no Porsche dad

>11
My mom let me hold the wheel for a bit cause I wouldnt stop nagging her ( I guess there's a reason NFS is 12+)
>14
My dad just gave me my gramps 2006 Colt ) pretty nimble for a CVT shitbox tbf) to drive back home in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. After that I was driving home pretty much once a week.
>16
My dad taught me how to drive manual. I despise automatic transmissions since then. Thing felt like a jumbo jet on full throttle AFTER the failure filled 2 months of pretty much being lucky to not stall the car. I was also stealing my dads commuter and taught my best friend how to drive (that was fun until my dad found out and then.. ye). I drove better than my fucking mom (until they switched the Camry for a shitty CLK200. Yeah that was... exquisite)

Got my license at 18 when I should have got it at 16. Cops are treated as national heroes when they bust a 17 year old driver for being underage and driving better than half of the fucking population while half a mile away an 80 year old hag is having an aneurysm trying to figure out the brake pedal from the throttle, killing a family of 5 in the process.

In short,
>fuck Europe and their cuck fucking laws.

Properly? 18
I learned how to operate a manual vehice when I was 12 though. Still, never even got to 4th gear as I was driving around on narrow paths in the forest.

Started the basics at 10 on how clutch works, and how my thoughts about driving is just like video games were totally wrong, etc. Actually rides bike at 12, and car at 15. Got my licence as early as possible at 17.
Oddly my dad were against it, but I figure it out myself with the help of my mom...

>driving is just like video games were totally wrong,
Isn't it great feeling actually driving?

13 with a fiat uno
good times

Maybe? I'm not sure.

I was 15 and a half, the minimum legal learning age by state law

Same, but we were coming back from swimming pool and it was manual VW Golf Mk2. I learned how manual works fast, but couldn't drive in reverse for shit

Well I was a kid back then, thought actual driving was like something on arcade racing or Need for Speed (most kid does aye?).
After feeling the actual handling of a car back then it really changed me, became addicted to a more realistic-ish game like Gran Turismo and Kaido Battle series.
Funny how that I used to debate with other kids about that.

>Metro/trains have no downsides though.

>public transport
>not filled with ugly disgusting poorfags

4 years old at Need For Speed 3

14. Mom wanted me to know what I was getting into when I got my learner's.

I was seven the first time my dad let my steer our old winterbeater. Based dad.

>friend from school
>his dad's turn to drive us home
>probably 6 years old but it's all guys
hey dad is it's not possible to peel out in an automatic
>no son watch this
>you put the lever into 2, see?
holy fuck i don't know what's even going on but this is fucking awesome

learned stick at 5 on a homemade lawn tractor with a 3 speed but didn't drive an actual car until I got my permit at 14 due to fear of losing license privileges until I turn 18

I now remember when we used to go to this fuck off giant sand flat about an hour from my house and my dad would let me take the wheel of his Rover V8 and drift around, whilst he did the pedals. I was like 5 years old.
Pic kindarelated

[spoiler]other than that, birtcuck who started lessons and passed at 17[/spoiler]

Im 23 and im only about to do G2 driving test on january (G1 is the learner's permit)

I wont be getting my own car until im 25 anyways because of insurance cost

13 in my dad's audi on backroads

Yes, but you can account for the traffic and leave earlier. Buses just show up late, or just never show up.

> Trains have no downsides
Have you not seen the shit happening in the UK with trains? One company's having trouble with unions because they're trying to make train doors operated by the driver, instead of someone whose job it is to JUST operate the doors. The unions decided that if they have to settle for half the jobs, nobody has a job, and keep going on strike.

21 I think.

Just got my full license(G) three weeks ago.

Driver education course at school. I was 15.

Learned autotragic at 15
Learned manual in a mazdaspeed 6 at 17
Been driving manual for two years now, feelsgoodman

I drove a friend's '94 5-speed Eclipse for about 5 miles when I was 13. At 14 I drove my dad's Suburban and my mom's TT 225 6-speed around the neighborhood. I got my permit the day I turned 15, drove often. I got my license the day i turned 16 and have been an absolute menace in the 11+ years since (0 accidents though).

Pic related; my first car - upgraded to an STi in November '07. 5-speed base model (fake vtec) RSX. I ran mid-16s stock (I was at the drag strip test & tune the friday after getting my license). I added a catless race header, a hot air intake, solid engine mounts and an OE '05 Type-S catback and got it to 15.4 which was respectable at the time I guess for an eco-coupe. I beat a clapped-out foxbody 5.0 with that run, too.