Bad snowstorm outside

>bad snowstorm outside
>too afraid to go drive

Other urls found in this thread:

monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/218270/racv-abs-braking-system-effectiveness.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=9F7XJNEH_qE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

illinois?

I live in the midwest in the north. Every year I have to essentially relearn everything I know about driving. Takes about a week for the fear to be replaced with "WOOOO WINTER". I still fucking hate cornering off the highway though. I have a heavy car.

Wisconson

>not playing in the snow
Dont be a fag

Wiscofag here, just slapped my winter rubber on. Bout to go cruising. Sorry you're an all-season cuck :)

I'm more concerned about other people hitting my car and plows

Haven't lived in an area where it snows in over three years.
Just bought a ranger today.
First thought was "WOO!! Hooning!"
I fucking love driving in the snow. I get to laugh at tards who can't and every corner is a drift.

> Snows 6"
> no reason to go out
> go hoon anyway

4x4 masterrace

> pull neighbor out of ditch next day

me too! appleton is nice.

You must hone your snow driving skillz then.
Avoid plows and find somewhat desolate roads

You can't drive your way out of preventing someone from smashing into your rear at a red night

>tfw 10 inches of snow tonight

>get off work to unplowed roads
>rwd truck
>every corner is GET ME POWER

It's going to snow here in Southern Ontario (Canada) today (Sunday) 10-15cm, about 12 inches.

I hope to God it stays around and keeps snowing, I wanna drive in itttttttt

10-15 cm is 4-6 inches.

put tracks on.

Minnesota here, arriving just in time to let you know fuck sconnies

I just want to say Pirelli P1's don't make good snow tires. Wish me luck this winter. :^)

I live in south central Ontario (North of GTA, Barrie area). We got about 3 feet of snow in the last 3 days, just bought a RWD truck at the beginning of the week... It's been interesting.

>packed snow on roads
>salt conservatively applied to problem corners in the city and nowhere else
>no winter tires
>go from 10mph over to exactly the speed limit
>blow by everyone
>no traffic to slide into me

Snow > ice

tfw it snows every where in your state but where I live and when it does its only a light dusting

just fuck my shit up

>was afraid to drive in the snow for years
>bought studded tires
>mfw

im literally fucking invincible

>literally no tread
>shillinois
>slides everywhere
I drove about a 5th of a mile at most today before giving up and heading back home
I need winter tires, or at least newer tires I think

>unplowed everywhere
>rwd ranger
tfw im a drift king tonight

Same setup my man. Put my sandbags in the front of the bed, hit the farm grids for like an hour but too tired to do more safely. Gotta love flat, consistent turns for safe-ish fun. Also gotta love the ridiculous steering angle 2wd rangers have.

sometimes i think that other states have it worse because they arent properly equipped for snow

i live in michigan and drive a RWD car with old 6 year old all-season tires and don't have any issues because we have 9 quadrillion plow trucks clearing the roads at any given time.

the only time i have issues is when i try to pass people and have to hit the middle where all the snow is piled up and have to try not to fishtail lol

Tires need to have at least 6/32's inch of tread, and more like 8/32's, to be worth half a damn in snow.

about 400ish pounds in the back tires with 80% but all season

only slides if i slam accelerator, driving normally is chill and i just have to drive carefulish. probably should remove the ziptie on the throttle cable to make it a bit easier

reminder that ABS increases your stopping distance in snow by 27%

monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/218270/racv-abs-braking-system-effectiveness.pdf

page 12

so if your car has ABS, check what fuse it uses and pop it out.

Fuck is with those fractions.
You can simplify to 3/16 and 1/4.

Is buying craigslist wheels a bad idea, assuming they check out in person? There's a few listings on the local craigs that have a set of winter tires and steelies for $200 or so

is there even a noticable difference between 3/16and 1/4?

no, but be ready to be pissed off when they slow leak

1/16

>not having snow tires
>not driving 10 over while everyone else is driving 10 under

LMAOing@urlife

Enjoy your rwd in the snow, plebs

Is RWD a problem in the snow?

>owns a Micra
It sucks that this toy wasn't made to drive in the snow

That page says literally nothing about stopping distance.

not if you can drive

>slightly snowing last night
>drove through the city
Maximum comfy

>tfw right on lake Superior with rwd

AYY FAMM/O/s

So it snowed today finally, 10 - 15 cm, so far like 6 cm on the ground.

Anyways, DOPEEEEEE AS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK

>MAH RIDE QUIET
>MAH RIDE SMOOTH
>MAH RIDE BRAKES
>MAH RIDE ACCELERATES
>MAH RIDE IS GR8

Just get pizza cutter tires for it.

Daily reminder that /n/ fags can get cucked in this weather while autists like us can enjoy the snowstorm by doing hektik skids

still have summers on my shitbox

oops

I have RWD, all seasons, and a badly inclined driveway. Meanwhile I see people in 4WD brotrucks with winter looking tires spin out of their flat driveway. No matter what you have, it will not save you if you drive like shit. Stop going the fucking limit when it's snowing, or even raining for that matter. Stop wot'ing it off every start. Plan your route out so you don't have to go through hilly areas. Don't get on the highway because it's useless due to accidents and don't go over 40 if there isn't.

Half the people I see driving during snow and ice are driving like they're constantly driving through an accident, and the other half is on everyone else's bumpers trying to figure out why the rest are driving so slow. We also have 80% of people with cars made after 2004 and still haven't figured out how to use the bluetooth button on their car in over 12 years.

>tfw super comfy to have 2 Audi's with Quattro waiting for me outside

Yeah you can. Just plan your route so you don't have any stop lights

>Stop going the fucking limit when it's snowing, or even raining for that matter. Stop wot'ing it off every start. Plan your route out so you don't have to go through hilly areas. Don't get on the highway because it's useless due to accidents and don't go over 40 if there isn't.

or get snow tires and do all of these things, then some.

Why would you want to drive in a snow storm? Shit's not fun in the slightest.

>get comfy and wait for the snow storm to pass
>wake up early and drive through nice fresh snow

I wish there was a blizzard

even my summer tires are M+S but all the snow has melted and re-frozen into dirty ice

In Sheboygan with all seasons sliding everywhere. It's fun af faggot.

Lived in Illinois
Even when a youngling with a Camaro I was able to deal with snow because I was kinda afraid. First snow every year it was SUVs that were stuck on the side of the road. Overconfidence puts the ladies I'm the ditch.
Bullshit unwarranted confidence is a killer. In this case a wallet killer.
OP, be afraid'ish of winter, but go out and play.

>Live in San Jose with no snow
>worry about going up to Tahoe with the snow
>drive up there
>winter driving isn't actually that hard

I really don't see what the big deal is

>go skiing today
>in a fwd acura CL with all seasons
>brake early, don't turn fast
>hektik wheelspin everywhere when I am stuck in traffic
it's not hard. you'll figure it out.

on that note colorado needs drier snow, it felt like I was back in california

pussy its probably the same system thats up here in ontario, i just got back from some snow doriftu

it's true. traction control is also a pain when you are taking off in a 2wd vehicle.

>drive open diff RWD land yacht
>buy good snow tires and rip hektik skidz all winter
>stuck behind a snowplow going 35mph
>get a running start and slide past him sideways
>one day last year we had a state of emergency, nobody allowed on the roads
>went to work anyway
>duriftooo'd into the parking lot through an 18in deep snowbank

The trick to not getting stuck or losing control is to never stop moving.

When talking about tires you do not simplify 32nds.

It's not worth trying to explain this to normies.
I've been trying for years. One day some infographic will go around facebook or something explaining it and then all the Xer's will finally believe it.

>driving 99 v6 accord in new Canadian snowfall about 1ft of snow
>Put all my tools in the car and all fluids/gas full to increase weight
>Everyone else driving like shit and 20-30 below speed limit
>Using all seasons and driving the speed limit without issues
>At a stoplight a 2016 civic driver asks me where I got my tires
>Tell him they're $100 all-season general rt-43
>”o-oh... The dealer gave me summers!"

>Pass a truck that's doing 30 under, do a right hand turn through a red light after seeing no cars on the road anywhere
>It was a cop
>Female soccermom cop furious that I "recklessly cut her off then ran a red light", I left 3 car lengths passing her
>Get $170 ticket

I got a $170 ticket for being the best driver on the road. Why do female police officers exist? If she can't drive her 4wd f150 above 20kph she should probably retire.

slowly driving to work in a light snow, roads are kinda meh, but get there fine.
>traction control light flashing morris code at me the whole way
>get into the parkinglot at work
>almost empty with a big wide sweeping turn
>sideways drift a 4,000lb luxobarge between two parked semi trucks while the ceo is standing in the middle of the parkinglot
>TSU TSU TSU TSU
too much fun

>Minnesota
>turn on seat heaties
>hoon in snowed in parking lots
I feel bad for southerner's, they don't get these cozy driving feels.

This guy gets it, if you're sliding already mashing the brakes does nothing, it's all about the throttle and not getting stuck.

>tfw NA Miata with summer tires and inoperable windshield wipers

>he doesn't pray for snow so he can do go sweet awd drifts

>ran a red light
There is a reason you get a ticket for shit like that, if someone drives into the intersection with a green light and none of you can brake properly you will crash.

where in canada do you see F-150s driven by stated cops vs just regular plainclothes?

Also, what traffic ticket is $170, anyway?

Can see both ways for miles, it's a stupid light. I didn't endanger anyone just did sik snow drifts.

BC. $167 for running red light.

stop being a nigger, red means stop.

if there is nobody around it doesn't matter

youre right it doesnt matter. its no big deal to stop for 2 seconds.

For zero reason, wasting time and fuel?

If you're going to stop for two seconds and then run it anyway you might as well not stop.

If there is nobody around it basically didn't happen.

Had about 30-40cm of snow in one night while driving a 95 chevy pickup a couple of weeks ago. Damn near best night of my life.

Unstudded winter tires are suicide. Only work well on relatively fresh snow and will murder you as soon as the weather shifts.

Will they?

Fuck, better tell my extended family that they should've never have been able to drive around for the past few years

That's the best part about winter driving. Just a little throtthle is all it takes to control mad skidz.

You live in the south, don't you? Doesn't pretty much everyone there (literally) fly off the road every time there's an inch of snow?

South where?

Norway somewhere.

Ah, I thought you were talking about southern USA

Eastern part, on the swedish border. Colder winters with heavier snowfalls compared to most of the country. Locals know what they're doing just perfectly, and ok/good studless tires work fine here, even on the typical road surface of hard-packes frozen snow and ice

Still; studded tires ARE better for the conditions here

Fellow mountain troll reporting in.
I fukken love the snow, vid related

youtube.com/watch?v=9F7XJNEH_qE

Yeah, my neighbors car slid out of the driveway, which is barely slanted, becuase they use studless tires.
Then again, it was wet ice good enough for olympic skating.

Ayy. I really wish for snow. We had 40cm of snow one night where I live, then it rained for a week straight before hitting -15.
Also, which camera and is that the techno viking song?

Gopro2, and yes its Techno Viking lel

Wet ice is what you'd call abnormal, and not even the tires on my Hilux would give you "safe" grip. They'll help, but its a bit unfair of you to go "studless are complete shit because they cannot grip the most slippery road surface thinkable"

I'd hardly call it abnormal. It's common enough in my town for unstudded tires to become dangerous, at least until january when the weather settles down.
But I guess I'm a bit biased there. I've driven with Hakka 8 tires and those things wouldn't let go easily, even on the worst ice.
When I did drive on studless, I was positively surprised by the grip on snow. They're not that bad, but I don't see why one shouldn't go with studded for that safety bonus when things do get slippery.

This video is comfy as fuck, ty norske bro.

Also do you guys actually eat lutefisk on a regular basis? Some lads still do in Minnesota for some unknown reason.

Fucking american cucks, learn to drive

Still, you're making a general assumption based on the conditions you face in your particular place. Its all about choice, and ofcourse; if black, polished and wet ice is something you drive on for extended periods then studs are king. In an area like mine however, where the temperature is constant below freezing from early/mid-ish November to early April the ice I'm constantly on is worn and used, offering more traction. Never felt unsafe on any good studless tire, wether it be ContiVikingContacts or R-series Hakkapeliitta

I understand why people pick studless, even in conditions like yours and mine. No stud wear, much quieter, generally keep their performance better as they get worn (much less of a problem these days than before), lower rolling resistance and you can put then on earlier & take them off later

>Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV master race
Where are you located anyways?

Only 167 bucks? Running a red light in the Netherlands costs ~367 eurobucks. Car expenses are europe's cash cow in taxes.

Only during christmas season, really. Or when people feel a bit traditional. It's not something the average norwegian eats outside of christmas.

I am making assumptions. And it is all down to choice, you're right. But I'd rather people spend more money on studded tires and the better traction they provide than injuring my car or other people because they can't drive or judge conditions worth shit.
Might just be me, though. I haven't tested a lot of studless tires so I don't really know how they perform compared to studded.

A hint southeast of svartisen. Far enough north to hit -30 on a good day, close enough to the cost for rain every time we get over 3 inches of snow.

Are you excited about the new årsavgift from 2018? Can finally own a summer or winter car without ruining your economy

Mind doing a TL;DR about it?

You're basically right in that little part where you get that shit weather... gotta suck

Try out something like the Hakka R2 or ContiVikingContact 6 if you get the chance. They'll never match our beloved 8's when it really matters, but I never found them lacking grip

Trysil here, currently bored outta my ass at a sloooow work day

Well, it finally makes sense. Why should I, driving on municipial roads that are either gravel, ice or unmaintained ancient tarmac from right after the war, pay as much road tax as Mr. Halvorsen driving 30 000km on the E6 in his BMW X5 on studded tires?

Not happy about the increase on diesel, but its not like I'm surprised. Next year I'll probably be legally required to swap out
>muh Toyota global warming device
with a fucking Leaf or, less terrible, an Opel Ampera-E

>tfw 6.5 Suburban
Only time I'll ever consider replacing it is with a better condition one.

Government proposed a law change so that the yearly fee for registering a vehicle is exchanged for a monthly fee. So you dont have to pay the government to own a winter beater during the summer

Oh. That's actually kinda neat.

Yours was B-registered, right?

Yep. Sort of want to get CE just so I can register it up again and get those extra 300kg total weight.