Are automatic gearboxes basically just for women?

Are automatic gearboxes basically just for women?

Other urls found in this thread:

fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=31377&id=31315
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck off with your garbage-tier bait thread

T. Manual driver

Yes, it's for lazy people.
>mfw the people that defend automatics can't even afford a car where DCT is faster than the manual version

>t. lying woman

and people that just need to deal with traffic between points A and B

I bet you have a handlebar moustache too

Yes. And old people.

You must have a lot of insecurities to get satisfaction from bragging about shifting your own gears like a caveman.

Slushbox or DCT?

Slushbox yes

A DCT or some other autoclutch system is better for laptimes, but what good are laptimes when you slowly edge out driver skill? Cars stop being fun and start being status symbols. And no, I'm not talking about F1 where it's a minimal hit to the value of the sport. GT car racing, amateur series, and rally come to mind.

and then benchracers argue about which status symbol they would rather own before dying before and alone

actually yes

in the late 80s-early 90s about 25% of all new cars sold in america were manual (aka standard), in 2015 that number dropped to like 4%

society has been highly feminized since then and now women influence something like 80% of new car purchases

car companies know this and so they cater to women, which is why BMW now makes like 10 "SAVs" and the forester has been turned into a shitty crossover with a CVT

Cuck detected. Come back when you actually know how to drive a car.

>Manualfags so btfo they keep attacking Autofags
The superior tech won faggots

>auto for dd
>manual for weekend fun car

This is the superior way to live

>Live in "car city" Stuttgart of Germany.
>All highways are clogged
>Regular streets are clogged because somebody somewhere always fucks up and bumps into another car
>traffic lights everywhere
>in order to turn you have to drive 4km further down a road with an endless amount of traffic lights

I don't mind using stick on an open road, but here everything else than automatic is just retarded.

this nigga woke as fuck

do germans even have car culture?

What do you mean by "car culture" specifically?

Aftermarket/Tuner scene?

>implying you need skill to drive stick

From what I've seen, they're incredibly anal about keeping their cars stock, cause "muh superior engineering" and such, but that's not a catch all and I'm sure there are lots of people who modify their cars, just not nearly as much as somewhere like America or Japan. In general though, I've gathered that they look down on people modding their cars.

Sure that exists. Although it's mostly for car nerds. Chiptuning is well known but only enthusiasts do it.
got it right.

That sucks.

As a aussie i rarely see a stock car unless its 5years old or newer.

Ill miss Factory Tuning shops like Tickford, FPV and HSV though those where the golden days of motoring in this country.

>if i don't like it/can't do it anyone else who likes it has something wrong with them

It's not that hard. Stop projecting your incompetence. It makes everyone else look pretentious when they point out how stupid you are.

>in the context of motorsport
>implying you need skill to drive a stick and still get good lapt times
yes, you do

anyone can grannyshift their way around town. not many can shift competently in a race setting.

No. Automatics are for anyone who does not want to spend more effort than is necessary on driving, such as people who drive for work, old people, women and so on. Basically automatics are for anyone who's not a boyracer.

With an automatic you can have a cup of coffee on the way to work in the morning.

>They're incredibly anal about keeping their cars stock

This user is correct but it's for a very specific reason. The german auto inspections (at least since I was last there in the 80s) literally tear the car apart from top to bottom and they do not tolerate shoddy worksmanship. The penalties for violating the regulations are apparently severe and a lot of these people don't have the money to shell out to fix their cars if they fail inspection (apparently if they tear the car down and find a fault, they will just fail it, write it off and give the torn-apart car back to the owner and say "fix it or do not drive"). It's a fucked situation but I don't know how true this is going on 30 years.

Oh wew I thought it was more the people, I know the government there is nofunallowed but I didnt know it was to that degree. Fucking glad I didn't go there for college.

if you are doing anything but driving you are endangering other people

but if you suck at stick you are also endangering other people

we should tape peoples hands to their steering wheels

>end result isn't anything but increased auto sales
>that zip tied intake hose was meaningless but fuck you here's a bin of parts buy a new VW

brilliant

>here's a bin of parts

Apparently they're not even that nice. You bring the car to inspection, they tear it down, if they find the fault, they come out with a clipboard and say "You have to remove your car from our inspection bay" and if you were particularly unlucky (like an obviously broken part that involves extensive teardown) then they would just foist it on you instead of wasting the work hours on rebuilding your car. The end result is an obstinate insistence on stock cars simply for the ease of passing inspection and providing the least trouble with mechanics (whose parts cost more and must be OEM).

Hope thats an ugly womans hand and leg, because if you're a man and you haven't got a single hair on your leg, i feel bad for you son.

this is why cruise control was invented

no retard, I just googled 'drive with foot out window'

>people who drive for work cannot ever actually want to enjoy driving
>actually wanting to have fun while you drive makes you a boyracer

What a silly claim.

Nope. More and more people in Europe are changing to automatic transmission because of how confortable and superior these are.

No. You are not Schumacher because your shit FIAT has a manual transmission and no, you are not a better driver than someone with an automatic transmission.

Manuals are just the typical "it's always been done like this, so why change?" bullshit, most of the people I know that refuse to drive automatics are usually machos with an inferiority complex.

While you fags are fucking up your transmissions by constantly changing gears in the congestions of Europe, here I am in Bern driving my Passat without a single cramp on my fucking legs.

Fuck you.

It's a godsend in the winter honestly

And I'm happy to not be some faggot with a weak constitution that actually gets a sore leg and some sort of mental fatigue from shifting

reasons to drive auto
>muh laptimes (who fucking cares)
>muh mpgees (fuck the planet i have money)
>being crippled and/or retarded (aka you)

Weren't automatics actually advertised specifically towards women? As in, I'm not trolling, I remember reading about this somewhere.

yeah.

women and old people.

then it caught on with weak beta cuckbois with the total leg strength of a newborn and gross motor skills of an epileptic koala

Give me one reason to pay more for a car that takes more effort to drive. Financially, automatic transmissions just make more sense.

I would never have a manual in my plow truck, fuck that shit

I used to eat McDonalds hotcakes while I drove down the highway in my manual R31, using the knife and fork and everything. Manual didn't stop me from doing anything.
Now I own an auto. Autos make driving big, torquey engines more comfortable. I like it better off road to.. when I see mates with manual 4x4s looking for quickshifters I think, why bother? Autos just work.

If you think your transmission in any way defines your masculinity, you are a sad, sad little man.

>Financially, automatic transmissions just make more sense.
>More complicated
>more expensive
>less fuel efficient so more money
>more expensive to repair
>break down more often than manuals

Explain to me how an automatic is NOT a bad financial decision made by stupid and lazy people.

>If you think your transmission in any way defines your masculinity, you are a sad, sad little man.
See, this completely ignores the fact that the entire reason automatics even exist is because of women
Oldsmobile invented automatic transmissions in the late 30's/early 40's when they received numerous complaint letters from women bitching about how hard it was to drive a manual car in high heels

So to answer OP's question, YES, automatics are basically just for women.

>>More complicated
So? That's what mechanics are for.
>>more expensive
Not from my experience.
>>less fuel efficient so more money
Who fucking cares? It's not a big difference.
>>more expensive to repair
My transmission won't vomit itself onto the highway from a single mis-shift.
>>break down more often than manuals
Grasping at straws now.

Manuals get better MPGs if you know what the fuck you are doing.

>Not from my experience.
they're more expensive as an option over manual versions

>Who fucking cares? It's not a big difference.
Yes it is. Case in point the 2011-2015 Chevrolet Cruze Eco.
fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=31377&id=31315
That's a decent gap

>My transmission won't vomit itself onto the highway from a single mis-shift.
Well then stop being retarded.

>grasping at straws now
and how many new Nissans and Hondas these days go in for complete automatic transmission replacements under warranty before 30k these days?
Pro-tip: WAY too many.

Keep cross-dressing tranny

>muh manuals are cheaper
>we have a 2 mpg difference
>I like more work for less reward

>>we have a 2 mpg difference
check those real world figures below. The gap is larger than the ratings.

>literally 4 mpg difference justifies a more expensive car

>misreads 5.3 MPG difference as 4 MPG difference
someone can't read. WHy should I trust you on anything if you can't do simple math

And that's a 5.3 MPG difference on average. If you go by minimums, it's an even larger 7 MPG difference.

>it's 1.3 more mpg than you said

>making excuses for illiteracy
Trump's America everyone!

>implying that Trump won't bring back all our auto jobs
>implying that all cars won't be legally required automatic
I'm running out of keks

>believing anything that comes out of Trump's mouth
Enjoy your disappointment.

This is the product if you let children drive in the us (16 year old)

Seriously. When will you raise it to 18? Maybe for once you start to get good cars again and no 79 million crashes a day

>t. Californian

wrong side of the country buddy.

>he's a wannabe Masshole

It sure made motorsport shitty.

>wannabe
I'm a halfblood. My mother was from Winchendon.

i dunno, i'm a woman and i have both

Stop confusing automated manuals for slushboxes.

so just a woman?

No, its also for people who are not auto-nerds. What is it like to spend friday evenings working on your corola anyway?

I feel so sorry for your huge inferiority complex

Fact is that a manual in inner-city, stop-and-go traffic is less convenient than an automatic. This might not be a big deal for you if you also like to have fun, but arguing with that is literally fucking insane. And there is nothing lazy or incompetent about not liking to be inconvenienced with unnecessary and outdated bullshit like having to shift your own gears.

Jesus fuck thats insane

>they're incredibly anal about keeping their cars stock

Good. 95% of all mods are distasteful shite that at best slashes reliability to below-BYD levels for little or no benefit.

no

Yes

>2016
>attempting to drive a car into the city of Stuttgart

KEK. Apparently you've got a couple of hours to spare

>'tearing the car down and giving it back in bits'

Stop lying nigger.

They check brakes, lights, wheels and suspenion for wear, plug in an OBD II reader to check for codes and look for rust. Nothing to tear apart here.

Just like they do inspections in every other deceloped country. There's a lot of paperwork involved if you're modding your car with more than just bolt-ons, though.

>what is CVT

>what are 600 mile transmission replacements

It's more fun to drive

>tfw a computer selects the next gear in mere milliseconds while stick rowing caveman haven't even had a synapse fire

Automagic is the best feeling

It really depends a lot on the individual doing the control. I've passed shitters that should have been disposed of, and failed with cars that are pretty much mint.

>Can't use aftermarket airfilters or exhaust without TÜV approval.
>Can't use non-stock offset on wheels.
>Can't use non-stock suspension components without TÜV.
>Can't increase horsepower without DEKRA approval.
>Can't use non-stock steering wheel.
>Can't use non-stock seats.
+++

except for when you're stuck in a traffic jam which is about 99% of what most people do anymore

last i checked, they actually had a higher car ownership rate than america.

>>>break down more often than manuals
>Grasping at straws now.
MRS in sat is categorized as "DO NOT BUY EVER" since they love to shit the bed covered with very expensive silken sheets

No, men can also be disabled as well also.

I'm a european with a automatic only license because I'm disabled in my right arm and it kills me on how much cars I have to miss out on.

Manuals are only better than the old automatics (ones with four or less gears). Modern automatics offer better acceleration and gas mileage than a manual. The only reason Veeky Forums thinks manuals are better is because they drive 20+ year old shitboxes, and also they think they are superior for knowing a "skill" that any retard can learn in an afternoon.

Lmao

>bringing politics into Veeky Forums

stop being so butthurt you faggot

>full-size trucks only come in automatic (except the RAM 2500)

why though? I don't see why towing would require an automatic transmission if 18-wheelers have manual transmissions and tow way more

it doesn't make sense but only americans want full-size trucks anyway. good luck doing actual offroading in an automatic.

>18-wheelers have manual transmissions
A majority of new class 8 trucks are equipped with an automated transmission. There is no clutch pedal.

>Auto average based on 6 vehicles
>Manual average based on 18 vehicles

They couldn't even base it on an equal number of vehicles..

this.
the only aftermarket parts i accept on my cars are lighter rims. i know lots of people who mod their ride and have technical failures every other month. i love to wrench but i have better things to do than towing my car around town because it broke down on my way somewhere.

>Work is bad

>leg strength of a toddler, gross motor ability of an epileptic koala

It must suck when the best argument for your choice is "i am lazy, weak, and awkward"

Then that is just your ineptitude showing through

How is it bait when he's right?

They're for people who either don't like driving, or don't care about it, but still demand the privilege of going wherever they want, whenever they want, with no effort.

Autos were created for the sort of people who are actually looking forward to self-driving suicide-boxes.

I think the worst part of manuals is going through the drive-thru if there's any kind of incline.

I'd found myself parking and going inside when I notice it. People in autos really sit on your ass.

>
With an automatic you can have a cup of coffee on the way to work in the morning

cup holders were made for this reason

>drinking in your car
burger spotted

>implying finishing a fifth on the highway isn't the superior life

>it's an "americans think they are special for doing something literal children and senile people do like it's nothing" thread

>implying I drive slow enough to drink anyway
>implying I don´t care about my car

this is a troll thread

this guy over here knows whats up
I drive e39 stick and the only reason to is that I cant afford to fix and maintain old automatic tranny. I'd get automatic in a heartbeat if it was in good condition which it isnt in my price range and even though you're less "in charge" of your car and you dont "control" it as much I am aware that these are arguments of autistic manchildren and I want to grow out of that one day.

Get over yourselves. You're not a fucking racecar driver, youre driving mostly sub 150 kw cars in daily traffic. And if you would have any experience in high performance cars you would know that autos are that much better and they also give you opportunity to shift whenever you want it.