I'm very ignorant about religion. Specifically Christianity and Catholicism. I know that's weird...

I'm very ignorant about religion. Specifically Christianity and Catholicism. I know that's weird, nobody I ever grew up with was religious. I don't even know if I'm baptized. I really am quite interested in reading the Bible, but there are so many versions. I'd go to a church, but again there are so many different kinds. It's really quite confusing to me.

Can you who are Christian or Catholic post your stories or advice? I hope I don't come off as demeaning, I really am trying to learn.

Other urls found in this thread:

protestanterrors.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=KBD18rsVJHk
youtube.com/watch?v=1lOwUrtNx_s
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=FY4DCG-nFBI
youtube.com/watch?v=vRquPxdHNGE
youtube.com/watch?v=yXpuCczALjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AOAtz8xWM0w
youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs
youtube.com/watch?v=mdXJzgtiM4E
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Africa#Current_status
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_biblical_figures_identified_in_extra-biblical_sources
peshitta.org/pdf/Mattich16.pdf
scripturecatholic.com/salvation.html
scripturecatholic.com/justification.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Catholics are Christians, user.

Do you live in a major city? If so, there should be, not just a church, but a cathedral; that's the seat of a bishop, who's a kind of higher-ranking priest. They in particular would be equipped to answer your questions, so give their office a call.

If you live in a smaller city, still consider calling your local Catholic church. They are there precisely to help people like you.

As for me, I would suggest you start by reading the Gospel of Matthew. It's where the New Testament begins.

I know, but there still seems to be a difference. I mean not all Christians are Catholic right?

Want to call it a medium sized city. Lots of rural areas around though. I have more than a few bit Churches in town. They are beautiful, never been inside though.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just kind of shy about calling or going

No they aren't

muh b8

No Christians are Catholic, and vice versa.
You should watch the videos of "Reformed Apologetics Ministries" omn YouTube.

I recommend this website

protestanterrors.com/

Keep in mind everything here fails at the starting gate. I'm a Protestant and i don't believe anything it alleges i believe. Either that or it argues Catholicism is true because of things that would be relevant only if Catholicism is true.

If I was just interested in the "original" where would I go? I know that may sound dumb, but it's the best way i can put it.

The Roman Catholic Church.

Protestantism.
This is a lie.

The original Christianity is extinct now, but Orthodox is probably the closest.

Matthew 16:18
Christianity will never be extinct.

Protestant: youtube.com/watch?v=KBD18rsVJHk

Catholic: youtube.com/watch?v=1lOwUrtNx_s

Orthodox: youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc

It's anyone's guess

Orthodox is the closest one by far

Bullshit
Protestant: youtube.com/watch?v=FY4DCG-nFBI
Catholic: youtube.com/watch?v=vRquPxdHNGE
Orthodox: youtube.com/watch?v=yXpuCczALjQ

The first one is only used in churches dominated by really old people. Also, organs are nearly always awful. Toccata and Fugue a rare exception (which wasn't even intended for organ). Not sure what the fixation on them is in churches

Allow me to correct the last one
youtube.com/watch?v=AOAtz8xWM0w

just don't fall for the evangelical meme

>everything is sexist
But catholic churches don't allow women priest. I am confused

>Mainline Protestant
youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs

It's a joke because Catholics have prominent feminist theologians, some even say it's sexist to refer to God exclusively as "he"

Americans ruin everything

This might have been true 20 yrs ago, but now "Mainline" is codeword for cucked beyond belief, and "Evangelical" is codeword for Zionist. Fundamentalism is where it's at.

Fundamentalist and Evangelical heavily overlap.

Still better that "lets allow women to be priest because it's 2015" to be honest.

t. ex anglican

So do Orthodox and Catholicism share the same Bible or are they slightly different?

evangelical and fundamentalist are basically synonymous

Not really. Evangelicals are conservative nominals, Fundamentalists are the ones taking their faith seriously.
Unless you mean the believing evangelicals, which are the batshit fucktards waving signs.

Not anymore

Orthodox have some more books in the OT, but we had even when we were in Communion, it doesn't really matter. It's just due to Jerome's choice when translating the OT into Latin.

The Orthodox believe dogma is and only is what Christ taught personally to the Apostles. He never taught a Biblical canon, and therefore there is no dogmatic canon.

Proof papists are full of shit when they claim everyone always accepted the deuterocanon.

I mean fundamentalists are just the more right-wing and anti-evolution part of the evangelists. Fundamentalists aren't, in general, any less Zionist than the rest of the Evangelicals.

Our canon is *larger* than the Catholic canon, and pretty much everyone does accept the Catholic canon of the OT at the least (those different have more). Even the Syriac Orthodox, who have a smaller *NT canon*, have an OT canon at least as big as the Catholic.

Really, though, canons aren't important so much as the doctrine they illustrate. There is nothing wrong, for instance, with the Protestant canon per se, except that they try to make it universal and dogmatic (which it isn't), and use the canon as a way to cut out doctrines they don't like. For instance, Luther, who made the Protestant OT canon also wanted to cut out James from the NT canon for saying works are important: this is not acceptable.

>pretty much everyone
That is, anyone whose church or whatever you want to call it, is at least a thousand years old.

I'm talking about things like the OPC. Evolution is stigmatized because of the liberalism associated with it, and Zionism is outright opposed because Jews are Christkillers.

OP if you're interested in the history of Christianity and not just tenets and the differences between sects, I'll recommend you John Julius Norwich's The Popes, it's a very good and very easy and entertaining to read book that'll clear up a lot questions and doubts you might have. From there you can branch out into more specific and more academic/theological works that can answer more complex questions.

How could he possibly benefit from reading scripture in Latin?

Rome says the same thing about canon and Luther chose not to remove New Testament works. No one would have followed him in that, anyway.

Don't do this.

Rome is wrong, but so are the Protestants.

Luther couldn't remove them because he would have lost credibility, but he certainly had some very harsh words about James

Greek and Latin translations of the OT (both out of the original Hebrew, and independently done, Jerome preferring the Hebrew to the Greek because he felt it was more authentic) are much closer to each other than either is to the Masoretic text. Hence it is useful for textual criticism (the study of comparing multiple texts of something).

Ah, well "Fundamentalist" is generally used to mean taking the whole Bible literally. A lot of Evangelicals do that, you see.

>Luther couldn't remove them because he would have lost credibility
I'm afraid you're decieving yourself if you think anything short of the hand of God could prevent Luther from doing something his conscience compelled him to.

It's called Satan's Third Temptation.

I fail to see the relevance

Luther might not have feared losing his life when he was a celibate monk with massive lust issues, but after he actually had a wife and great power, he had stuff worth keeping.

Your church is in desperate need of a Reformation
Pray a monk in Russia nails a document to a church door

So we can be like the Church of Sweden or the Church of Denmark or the ELCA and have female priests and gay marriage? I don't think so.

Luther broke his monastic vows and eloped with a nun, he ain't no worthy monk.

>So we can be like the Church of Sweden or the Church of Denmark or the ELCA and have female priests and gay marriage?
That's like if i said your clergyman are all KGB agents

Monks and nuns are found nowhere in scripture.

No, it's not. Those are the three major Lutheran churches. Whereas the idea that our clergy is KGB is based one a single guy saying he saw "secret documents" saying our patriarch is KGB

Who cares whether they are in Scripture? Luther took a vow of celibacy. Scripture says it's okay to break such a vow?

Scripture says you shouldn't make a vow at all.

>"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No ,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one" (Matthew 5:33-37).

I don't think this is saying it's okay to break vows, it's in fact stressing how extremely serious it is to break a vow made to God, and that's why he's saying don't swear by God to back up your word.

smoke pot

>Those are the three major Lutheran churches
Which have departed from anything Lutheran or Protestant in all but name.

>Who cares whether they are in Scripture? Luther took a vow of celibacy. Scripture says it's okay to break such a vow?
It is better to marry than to burn with passion.

>It's another thinly veiled Catholic vs Protestant thread that will get 200+ replies.

Adding to this: monastic vows in Orthodox are just affirmations, they don't involve saying, "I swear," or any of that. I don't know how it works in Catholicism, but I imagine it's the same.

>Which have departed from anything Lutheran or Protestant in all but name.
Too bad Lutherans are so fractured that it's easy to do this. In Orthodoxy, as it is, bishops cannot depart from the faith, or else the other bishops will get together and remove them from office.

>It is better to marry than to burn with passion.
If you've already taken a vow of celibacy, of your own free will, coping with lust is something you have to overcome. If you are devoted to doing so (which you must have been to take the vows), you can. Monasteries are very conducive here to help you with it, since you don't see women and you pray hours at time.

Wasn't she a Catholic in the series?

>Too bad Lutherans are so fractured that it's easy to do this. In Orthodoxy, as it is, bishops cannot depart from the faith, or else the other bishops will get together and remove them from office.
Beliefs are not organisations. An organisation must affirm the beliefs of something to be worthy of it's name. The Church of Sweden, the Church of Denmark, and the ELCA have long ceased being worthy of the names Christian, Lutheran, or Protestant, and have rather earned the title anathema.

>If you've already taken a vow of celibacy, of your own free will, coping with lust is something you have to overcome. If you are devoted to doing so (which you must have been to take the vows), you can. Monasteries are very conducive here to help you with it, since you don't see women and you pray hours at time.
It's not like Luther was hunting for a wife. He explicitly intended to keep his vow until he fell in love with his wife.

Dunno, haven't seen it in a long time.

>I'd go to a church, but again there are so many different kinds.
There is the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church founded by Christ Himself, then you've got the ethnophyletist eastern schismatic churches who all call themselves "Orthodox" and finally 30000+ denominations which are all protestant. It's really that simple.

>This is a lie.
Study Church history.

>youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
Reminder that you can do this "Holy Fire" thing at home.

youtube.com/watch?v=mdXJzgtiM4E
I'm almost convinced Catholics are immune to intellectual honesty

None of them would be that way were it not for Luther.

How did he fall in love with his life when she was also a monastic? And obviously in a different monastery?

>it's not 33000, it's just a couple thousands, ok?!

>None of them would be that way were it not for Luther.
(You)

>How did he fall in love with his life when she was also a monastic? And obviously in a different monastery?
She was with a number of other nuns who converted and fled to Wittenbürg for asylum.

t. didn't watch the video

Oh trust me, I won't.

Enjoy being brainwashed.

> I know that's weird, nobody I ever grew up with was religious

Not as weird as you think, growing up without religion is increasingly common in white western milennials. Both my parents were raised Christian but for some reason decided they wouldn't do the same for me all the while expecting that I would embrace Christian morality, I haven't.

Reading the Bible now tho.

I know it's not literally 33000. The number of different protestant denominations that there are is still laughable, stop the mental gymnastics, you should feel embarrassed.

Matthew 12:30 and John 10:16.

>Reading the Bible now
Make sure not to read it like it's just 1 book.

How am I supposed to read it any differently to other books? I get that it's not all meant to be taken literally and that the historicity of it is sketchy at best.

If by denomination you mean like Baptist or Presbyterian, the actual number is 21. Doctrinal divides of similar size within Roman Catholicism number at 16.

they found 20,000 denominations in africa alone a few years back
it's probably more than 33 000

You mean 20,000 churches

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Africa#Current_status

Lists 11,500 (persuasion unspecified) but that was in 1995

>How am I supposed to read it any differently to other books?
The Holy Bible contains history, poetry, prophecy, wisdom, etc. It is not 1 book but rather a collection of 73.

>sketchy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_biblical_figures_identified_in_extra-biblical_sources

Also pic related.

(You)

>73
66*
> (You) (You)
I accept your concession.

>66

Here is the deal.

Most Christians are lazy.

My girlfriend is Jewish and in Hebrew school they made her learn Hebrew to read the Torah in the language it is written. This applies to most Jews.

Muslims also learn the Quran in the language it was written.

To be fair, there are plenty of serious Christians who read the Bible in the language it was written. It was not English.

In particular there are translation nuances you only get from reading it in its original language.

Where Jesus says "Upon this rock I will build my Church."

Rock and Peter are spelled the same in Greek. Its play on words. Basically he is saying upon Peter I will build this Church. However, people in English read that differently.

Either way, if you want to be a serious Christian you should learn Greek and Hebrew like all the other religions do.

I mean people who refuse to learn a new language are just lazy when it comes to their immortal soul.

>Rock and Peter are spelled the same in Greek. Its play on words.
this

And the Peshitta, which contains the sentence actually spoken by Christ, makes it much more obvious:

ctrl+f: ''0p0k'' or ''Keepa''
peshitta.org/pdf/Mattich16.pdf

My adivce: read the Gospels, Ecclesiastes and Solomon's Song of Songs. Then realizes that belief is absurd and unquantifable, and do a leap of faith (ie read Kierkegaard) -- if you want more of a theoogical approach: St. Augistine, Aquinas.

Why do catholics think Protestants can't deal with James 2 or something?
"Faith without works is like the sun without light or fire without heat"
-Theodore Beza

(OP)
My advice: do not listen to this nu-male

There is much more than James 2.

>He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.
Romans 2:6-7

>And so, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed, not only when I was with you but even more now that I am absent, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
Philippians 2:12

scripturecatholic.com/salvation.html
scripturecatholic.com/justification.html

"And in the proverbs Solomon tells us that as "the north wind driveth away rain, so doth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue.(Prov. 25:23)" It sometimes happens that an arrow when it is aimed at a hard object rebounds upon the bowman, wounding the would-bewounder, and thus, the words are fulfilled, "they were turned aside like a deceitful bow," (Psalm 128:57) and in another passage: "whoso casteth a stone on high casteth it on his own head." (Sir. 27:25) Jerome, To Rusticus, Epistle 125, 19 (A.D. 404), in NPNF2, VI:251

...Anonymous
09/01/16(Thu)10:15:03 No.1629955
#
A. "Your argument is ingenious, but you do not see THAT IT GOES AGAINST HOLY SCRIPTURE, which declares that even ignorance is not without sin. Hence it was that Job offered sacrifices for his sons, test, perchance, they had unwittingly sinned in thought. And if, when one is cutting wood, the axe-head flies from the handle and kills a man, the owner is[Num. 35:8] commanded to go to one of the cities of refuge and stay there until the high priest dies; that is to say, until he is redeemed by the Saviour's blood, either in the baptistery, or in penitence which is a copy of the grace of baptism, through the ineffable mercy of the Saviour, who[Ezek. 18:23] would not have any one perish, nor delights in the death of sinners, but would rather that they should be converted and live. C. It is surely strange justice to hold me guilty of a sin of error of which my conscience does not accuse itself. I am not aware that I have sinned, and am I to pay the penalty for an offence of which I am ignorant? What more can I do, if I sin voluntarily?
A. DO YOU EXPECT ME TO EXPLAIN THE PURPOSES AND PLANS OF GOD? THE BOOK OF WISDOM GIVES AN ANSWER TO YOUR FOOLISH QUESTION: [Sir 3:21] "LOOK NOT INTO THINGS ABOVE THEE, AND SEARCH NOT THINGS TOO MIGHTY FOR THEE." AND ELSEWHERE,[5] "Make not thyself overwise, and argue not more than is fitting." And in the same place, "In wisdom and simplicity of heart seek God." You will perhaps deny the authority of this book;" "Jerome, "Against the Pelagians, NPNF2, VI:464-5"

"Yet the Holy Spirit in the thirty-ninth(9) psalm, while lamenting that all men walk in a vain show, and that they are subject to sins, speaks thus: "For all that every man walketh in the image."(Psalm 39:6) Also after David's time, in the reign of Solomon his son, we read a somewhat similar reference to the divine likeness. For in the book of Wisdom, which is inscribed with his name, Solomon says: "God created man to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity."(Wisdom 2:23) And again, about eleven hundred and eleven years afterwards, we read in the New Testament that men have not lost the image of God. For James, an apostle and brother of the Lord, whom I have mentioned above--that we may not be entangled in the snares of Origen--teaches us that man does possess God's image and likeness. For, after a somewhat discursive account of the human tongue, he has gone on to say of it: "It is an unruly evil ... therewith bless we God, even the Father and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God."(James 3:8-9) Paul, too, the "chosen vessel,"(Acts 9:15) who in his preaching has fully maintained the doctrine of the gospel, instructs us that man is made in the image and after the likeness of God. "A man," he says, "ought not to wear long hair, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God."(1 Cor. 11:7) He speaks of "the image" simply, but explains the nature of the likeness by the word "glory."

7. Instead of THE THREE PROOFS FROM HOLY SCRIPTURE which you said would satisfy you if I could produce them, BEHOLD I HAVE GIVEN YOU SEVEN"--- Jerome, Letter 51, 6, 7, NPNF2, VI:87-8

I don't think you understood.

A time machine so you could go back before it was hijacked by the Romans.

PROTNIGGERS THINK GOD WILL MIND CONTROL THEM TO DO WORKS

BUT NO ONE BELIEVES THIS IN BIBLE AND CHURCH FATHERS

what's it like in your mothers basement? does she know you've become a kaffir?

PROTNIGGERS CANT EVEN ANSWER ARGUGMENT

BTFO SO BAD THEY HAVE TO PEE AND SHIT IN THEIR MOMMY BASEMENT

One of Luther's objections towards that sort of thing is people enter monastic living without knowing what they are getting into. It isn't for everyone.

Nobody will answer your questions because everyone realized you won't listen to answers.

>become a kaffir
wut

MORE LIKE YOU HAVE NONE

I AM DISPENSER OF TRUTH

WHICH IS CANCER TO PROTLIARS

CONFIRMED PROTTIE BTFO

STAY MAD YOU CANNOT FACE THE TRUTH

SAD MOTHER FUCKER

ANSWER THIS CANNIBAL

He's Malaysian