Are pop ups just fucking illegal now or something? Why is no one making up cars with pop-ups anymore?

Are pop ups just fucking illegal now or something? Why is no one making up cars with pop-ups anymore?

Surely some manufacturer have noticed they're still pretty popular in auto circles and could make some money catering to this niche.

theyre objectively shit in literally every manner of speaking

they were used to get by laws and those laws no longer exist

making them would be stupid

Yes they're illegal now

They actually are illegal. Safety regulations. Besides, the design philosophy changed. We're in a phase where ''edgy'' and progressive designs are more favourable to gimmicky 80's gadget shit.

They were out of fashion towards the end anyway. Then EU pedestrian safety rules made them not worth considering.

what car is this?

Accord Aerodeck

Genuinely curious, what laws?

US highway safety standards.

Along with the aforementioned pedestrian safety regs, insurance companies hated pop-ups for adding repair expense to what would otherwise be minor accidents.

But for the main reason you need to consider WHY pop-ups were a thing in the first place. It wasn't just a matter of style- for the most part, they were a way to fit sealed beam headlights on a car with a low-profile front. Modern reflector housings eliminate the need for this, and increasing use of LED lighting makes the required headlight size that much smaller.

>tfw no AeroDeck in the USA
So much cooler than my coupe...

Idk why Veeky Forumstists love pop-ups so much but i don't wish to see them come back mainly for muh aerodynamics

There out of style
You faggots would just complain car is to expensive not enough horse power fwd fwd automatic

>implying they wouldn't be back in style immediately after someone reintroduces one

would you?

Laws that used to say that headlights had to be specific dimensions. Most commonly round or square.

Lol

Because ice exists.

>Why is no one making up cars with pop-ups anymore?
You have to remember the entire reason pop ups existed in the first place.
US Headlamp Height requirements. You'll not that almost all pop up headlight cars has a US variant or were designed with the US Market in mind. Having pop up lights enabled car makers to meet headlamp height requirements while keeping their rakish profiles. Hell some cars had pop up lights ONLY in America (example US Market Lancia Scorpion vs EU market Lancia Montecarlo). When America retracted the light height requirements, car makers continued using them for looks sake until the early 2000's when Europe began instituting pedestrian safety standards for cars

When I think of cool pop-ups I think more of the ones with the moving covers. I wish these were more popular.

God that is sexy as fuck.

theyre considered a hazard to pedestrians. you wonder why Jaguar went from the leaping Jaguar emblem to a flat badge? safety issues had arrised that the leaping Jaguar could impale a pedestrian if stuck

Rolls Royce has their hood ornament retract. So no problem there. When parked, the thing comes back out to show off.

isn't it other way around?

I personally prefer the ones that are actually inside the grille.

god this car is beautiful :')

Because they are mechanically complex and the headlight size and shape regulations that required sealed beam lamps no longer apply.

Pedestrian safety is a small part of it too, but the primary reason is because manufacturers were finally allowed via the lessening of federal regulation to make headlights that conformed to the shape of the car and use smaller replaceable bulbs instead of huge glass sealed beam photon-chuckers.

>mechanically complex
>literally 30 year old NAs made by the millions all still have functioning pop up headlamps

Make your own and make a new thread to post them when you're done.

>tfw pop-ups are never coming back because they were made based on laws and not looking swag as fuck

someday ill own a pop-up headlights car

>mfw no pop up air intake

>aerodynamics

You shouldn't be driving fast enough for that to matter at night anyway

Sealed beams never necessitated pop up headlights... see, every American car before the 90s. They were pure style.

Increasing pedestrian safety concerns and manufacturer liability is the reason we don't have pop up headlights or hood emblems anymore. Yes, a room full of lawyers did away with pop up headlights because of American tort law.

My assumption just was they were phased out naturally because of the extra moving parts/maintenance and extra drag when popped up. They don't really have any practical purpose.

they make a difference at 60 even

Yes.

Says who?

The Government - can't be helped.
Safety standards pretty much eliminated them after the early 90s, they pose a much greater risk to pedestrians in the event of an accident than integrated headlights.

I miss em' too, but it's probably for the best.

Tfw no more glass headlights or pop ups :/

Pop up headlights make a great front end

Hnnng, I had an lxi hatchback. I wish these were sold in the states.

>this is also the reason we have 'blob' cars now
>muh pedestrian safety

Corvette dropped them because the race team bitched loud enough, largely. Although the GT1 C6.R didn't use stock headlight buckets anyways.