Memes aside, which do you personally prefer? would help if we actually got responses from people who have owned both...

memes aside, which do you personally prefer? would help if we actually got responses from people who have owned both, in higher powered cars.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KNWLE-mM8z8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>memes aside
this thread is a meme
it depends on your goals

Twin screw hands down

I've had two twin-screw superchargers, three turbos, and one centrifugal supercharger.

The turbos made the most power comparatively but nothing beats the punch that comes with a twin screw.

Turbo offers broader delivery across the entire range, its cheaper, it has much much greater power potential, and it's not outdated tech that only exists because of baby boomers and their feelings

>memes aside
You're on the wrong website faggorito

>not twin-charging

Except in special cases like autocross where superchargers are better due to their throttle response

t. Turbo car owner

basically this desu, but if you can package a roots or twin screw they could be good in certain specific cases like canyon cruising
but over all, they are inferior in almost every way. especially when up against modern turbos like a twin scroll efr.

they have a cool sound though and they add to the flavor of certain builds. like i wouldn't really want a turbo'd mustang or something I would want a blower.

>not wanting a twin turbo stang that roasts tires at 80mph in 5th gear

I know they aren't as efficient, but I love the response of a supercharged engine.

I think superchargers are cool because kits exist. Makes a significant power increase fairly straight forward.

Turbos are probably better for absolute performance.

I'm torn between the two. Depends on the car, really. Certain cars seem like they should make the high pitched airplane whine of a supercharger, while other cars I would prefer a nice turbo with a clean blow-off.

turbo everytime

a turbo car is much more fun to drive while being objectively better

Why not both?

Depends upon what kind of application and engine we're talking about. Newer turbos like EFRs really don't suffer from many shortfalls at all, but for cheaper turbos there's a huge difference between the two. Ask yourself where on the rev-range most of your driving is gonna consist in and chose based on that.

depends on the character you want out of the engine

turbos are ultimately more efficient at making power, but suffer from worse throttle response and typically a non-linear power curve (though that is more up to the particular motor and over all build)

superchargers have better throttle response, and a much more linear power curve due being linked directly to the engine rpm but that also comes down to the application

ultimately though . .. .
>NA is best for feels

but turbo is best for feels

the others are boring after you go turbo

>tfw no tork monster V8

I prefer NA honestly. More cubes; i like to have so much torque off the line it twists the frame

had a 460

lit just lacks that awesome moment of turbo spook

its just meh without turbo

Nothing feels like a Roots blower breaking your neck at 1400.

>I prefer NA honestly. More cubes; i like to have so much torque off the line it twists the frame

Implying a big ass Roots blower on top of the same engine won't produce more torque off the line...

yawn inducing compared to turbo

its na with whine wow

You dont say

Why don't people think turbos have massive low end

Launching below 2000 rpm isn't a thing btw
Brake boosting yo, xr6t launches waaaaaaay harder than a piece of shit supercharged v8 commodode ever could dream of

I'm going to go with a centrifugal in the future.

Roots isn't what I'm looking for powerband wise. They also take up too much room.

Twin-screw is expensive, takes up room and also sounds retarded.

Turbos are only fun flat out, and there is too many little shit to bother with installing one.

Centrifugal doesn't mess with the power band at all, sounds like a turbo on boost all the time, doesn't lag and bolts directly on front of the engine.

maybe turbo is better overall, in a strictly racing application, but I can't justify all the plumbing wastegates and boost controllers and what not for a street car.

You're thinking turbocharging is much more complicated than it actually is. All the "plumbing" isn't that big of a deal, installing a boost controller is seriously easy (unless you're trying to install a 90s vintage fuzzy-logic magic box like I did, and even then the "plumbing" is the easy bit) and a wastegate is a simple matter as well.

If you want to go SC just because, that's fine, you don't have to justify yourself, but don't make your choice based on wrong info.

when I looked at the shopping list for an "easy cheap turbo build" there were about 15 things more than I was willing to spend time on.

Supercharger
Dat whine.

youtube.com/watch?v=KNWLE-mM8z8

The only realistic downside to a turbo is lag, which can also be combated with anti-lag, twin scrolls, etc. Superchargers do have that awesome, instant punch, but they don't make as much power overall and are much more expensive (assuming your car didn't come with one). If you want some real world evidence, look at today's super/hyper cars. Any kind of forced induction that is used is turbos.
(never owned but extensively drove a SC FRS, and own a WRX. Turbo wins every tiem)

Blowers and nitrous plz. Cheap, easy, and way more fun than a turbo.

Seems to me like that you, as a child, were one of the ones that preferred to eat glue instead of playing with Legos, suit yourself goyim.

You're looking at a kit with extra bits like an oil catch can and an oil cooler, neither of which require much time or skill to install. And if you're not "willing to spend time", then just take it to a shop or find a new hobby because building a car is a matter of being willing to spend time, either yours or somebody else's.

turbos for that mad whistle and sick bov
Its not super complicated, no, but its far more complicated than installing a supercharger.
ive seen someone bolt a supercharger kit to a car with help from a friend in 40 minutes.

NA

Off road machines like superchargers more because of the low end grunt. You're not going to be spinning 5k rpm's off road.

Are you mad or something faggot? Calm down. If you're not going to things the proper way then why even do it all?

>I've never seen mud

I've only owned cars with both. I will say that the feel you get when full BOOSD hits is much funner. Super's are fine, they just add more power though, you won't really be able to feel the boost coming on. For that reason I prefer turbos just for the feel.

Totally arbitrary imo, superchargers are probably better for lap times and such.

>Totally arbitrary imo, superchargers are probably better for lap times and such.
not even close. a turbo will make more power more efficiently. threshold is non existent when you're never below 6k rpm.

superchargers are only good for tight twisty shit like autox or tight canyons.

turbos don't rob crank power bro. it's like free energy.. I'm the ranger fag who used to have a turbo ranger. sigh...had to dump it...too much of a pain in the ass

superchargers with mild boost can be more or less succesfully be used on a wider variety of engines.
The mercedes 3 valve 113 engine took a few upgrades to have a twin screw slapped on it and it pushed out 500hp without any reliability issues.
However the new 157 was initially built with a turbo in mind and is far nicer engine. Depending on the vehicle and camshafts it delivers sub-maximum torque at around 1800RPM.

Nah.

355 SBC, 224/228 .050 .544 both lobes with 114 LSA, same Demon 850 blow through on both a Weiand 144 and a GT42. Turbo made considerably more power. Blower was fucking violent and sphincter tightening. Horses for courses. Turbo was fun and that's what I stayed with, but damned if that blower was anything but yawn inducing.

Doesn't feel like N/A at all. I don't think you've touched a blower before, let alone driven one.

>blowers
>cheap

Yep, root blowers, custom intake manifolds and sandwich intercooler are all so cheap