Hey Veeky Forums, I'm 19 and looking to buy my first "off the lot" car...

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm 19 and looking to buy my first "off the lot" car. I'm leaning towards the 2016 genesis coupe r spec and was looking for advice on whether it's worth it or not. Keep in mind that I would buy a wrx/370 but cannot afford their interest rates

>enjoy paying the dealership jew premium and losing 10% of the vehicle's value the moment you drive it off the lot

I would go used, even 1 or 2 years old. The depreciation has already set in and won't hit you.

Thank you, I'll keep this in mind

How much do you make a month? How much down? Do you even know your credit score?

I clear about 1100 a month, I'll put 2500 down and my credit score is 764

If youre still living at the moms and make minimum wage Id strongly think about this financial decision.

Is hardparking in walmart lots on Friday nights really worth to you.

Do you live on your own or are you still at home?

Another thing worth noting is that I can comfortably afford the payments with a 7 year finance, which is what I was going to go with if I do buy one, OP here

Do you already have a career. If you lost your job would you be fucked?

Or are you trust babby?

You can't afford it yet. You should put more down. Like 7500.

I live with my parents at the moment while my gf is finishing high School, once she's finished we'll be getting our own place together

I cook for the moment making above minimum wage, and once the payments are over will be getting a student loan for culinary post secondary

Get something cheaper man, don't bury yourself in debt for a car a car man

>30K car
>2500 down

lmaoo enjoy your $500+ payments for the next 60 months and inflated insurance

No. Stop. You're too young for this shit. What do you drive now? Are you in college? You move in together, knock her up, then you're in poverty for the rest of your life. Then you get married and divorced because she's fucking Jamal on the side.

The hell are you doing everything ass backwards.

Get the degree first and buy a civic for 3K.

DESU if you havent moved outta the moms you are in no place to spend 30K on a car.

Whats your savings account look like?

I drive a 2000 civic si, but it just got written off so I'm looking for a new vehicle

Interest rate is a flat 0.99%

Get another 3k civic. You'd be irresponsible if you spent more.

Nice I paid off my 08 Si a few months ago. Been stacking $400 a month. Feels good. Fuck a car note.

keep the si man
dont blow this much money on a brand new car yet

>Finance 28k
>drive it off the lot
>car is worth 20k
>immediately be upside down

shit I thought you said paid off.. not written off. lolz

Pretty much this
Also the gf thing probably isn't going to be forever so she shouldn't be taken into consideration

you better already have a career. also the insurance is going to be high
just seems like its too much to be doing to impress people that don't care
wait until you grow up to make big mistakes

Okay, so would it be worth it to finance a used genesis coupe? The price in my area is around $16000 for one with about 50000kms on it. Mind you I'm from Canada so the price is a bit higher

no

If you really want to build some credit, its not a terrible idea to go used.
Hyundai has a good warranty so if you can get a low rate, go for it

Now is not the time to buy this car my dude. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but you can own an even nicer car later and still own a decent, cheaper car, now.

To be clear, none of us here is going to stop you from buying one and you're probably capable of "affording it" but as a youngish person who's been in the same situation as you, just wait it out.

No. Don't finance anything. Pay cash for a shitbox

To go along with this, the more money you pay for a car now, the shittier the place will be you live in whenever your girlfriend graduates, along with the fewer your options will be from a financial standpoint, as opposed to when you're older with a better career and your situation ideally isn't much affected whether or not you're driving a Mercedes or a Toyota. I personally want that new Alfa Romeo literally more than any other inanimate object in the world right now and can technically "afford it," but I would be seriously fucking myself and emptying my savings just to drive a cool car.

Why talk talk to your parents and see what they would say. Im sure theyre not totally incapable of telling you the jist of what everyone here is saying.

Do you really think this is a smart move. lol

Buy a chebby malibu

Your first car should always be cheap ish. Someone is going to push a shopping cart into it. Hit it with their door. Or just plain fuck your shit up.

Best get something modest until you figure it all out.

Genesis coupe is being sent to pasture.

Veloster is the future of the brand.

If OP is only making 1100 a month, financing anything is a terrible idea. Buy a cheap shitbox and build credit using other, less expensive methods.

How the fuck do you make $1100 a month? Isn't that less than minimum wage if you're working full-time? And you're 19 and not in school or anything and you want to move in with some girl so you can knock her up and have to support her? And you want to buy a brand new car and put down less than 10%? What the fuck dealership is offering you financing for SEVEN YEARS?

Anywhere else I would assume that you're trolling, but Veeky Forums seems to really attract fucking idiots. You said you live with your parents, are they going to set you straight once you tell them about this plan of yours or are they this stupid too?

>10%
more like 30%

ITT: Veeky Forums becomes a lifecoach for a hapless teen

Like everyone above said. Just because you saw 19 year old onion on haggard garrage make off with a new genesis coupe thanks to his YouTube checks doesn't mean you should even try to follow in his footsteps.

kek

if i was you i would jump on the cheapest fastest thing i could find and put the savings towards insurance costs

i tried the whole "buy a slow car make it fast" thing and i nearly died before i could even finish

any of us could die at any moment, get the most fun shit right now before its too late

go get a 2014 $14-15k fiesta st with low miles.

lol do it op

these other guys here? they don't know a good opportunity when they see it. just make sure to come back to us in 6 months after getting the car to tell us how shit your life is. it'll be good lol material for years to come.

Get a 10k used car brah

This af op. Will be funner

>written off

I'm new around here, but I tihnk this means that insurance totaled it.

thats what I thought lol

Don't do it user I did the same thing insurance rapes you and its just not worth it in the end

OP, I save $2500 per month after expenses and even I'm wary of financing a car

houses are fucking expensive and I (you) will want one in the future

He said he had $2500 to put down

Reminds me of the person who wanted to finance a new WRX making $8k a year after already being 10k upside down on a new civic

>Yes hello, this is OP, I'd very much like to get way over my head into debts of unforseeable scale for an item that probably stops running before i've even paid it off.
Financing is a bad idea. You see all these shiny new things and think, "damn, for just 100 bucks a month i could own one of these".
Except you dont. If you're missing payments for whatever reasons, it gets repo'd. Then there you are: no car, no money, likely getting your credit score sp00ked.
Once you sign a financing contract, you're a fucking slave to the company.

Here's how stuff normally works:
step 1: save money to buy thing. if the thing is expensive, you have to save more.
step 2: buy thing
step 3: enjoy thing without having to worry about paying off the company, because surprise surprise, you already did so in step 2

What you do (and i assume most dumb people do):
step 1: find thing you like
step 2: find out thing is way too expensive for you
step 3: instead of readjusting your goals or saving money for future purchases, you finance the thing without thinking for one second about how this will nag on your finances for the next X years. No matter if you lose your job. No matter if your gf leaves you with child support charges, no matter the circumstances, the company wants its money.

They dont care if you freeze, they dont care if you have to skip meals and they wont back down on their claims for even one day. When you're saving, you can skip a save to buy food or whatever, with financing you cant.

Also think about this: If you finance, you end up paying more due to interest rates. If you save money for yourself, you dont.

THE ONLY THING YOU SHOULD EVER FINANCE, UNLESS YOU'RE IN DIRE SHIT, IS A HOUSE.
If you have to finance a car, i'd say 12 rates is the deadline.

You're 19 with a shit paying job and unstable environment, the last thing you need is such a financial burden. You have to start realizing that you cannot have everything you want right.