What is a fun, cheap, used car that would serve as a relatively good rally platform...

What is a fun, cheap, used car that would serve as a relatively good rally platform? Looking for getting something fun that I won't mind crashing too much.

Also for context, I live in LA.

E30
Neon SRT4
Audi 4000cs quattro

Which class do you want to run in?

Focus or Golf

ae92 corolla

Open class. This is just a side hobby, I doubt ill enter any big competitions.

SAAB 9-3.

also suzuki swift gti,
or mirage/excel/laser for more basic tier shitboxes

Any particular focus model btw? And are volvos memetier rally cars?

Are you talking about rallycross or stage rally? For a stage rally car you would have to spend $5k+ to prep it minimum, the only somewhat cheap options is buying an already prepped car. For rallycross just run whatever you want, you don't even need a cage, you can race a bone stock car.

Rallycross. Sorry, I guess I should have researched more.

Whichever the cheapest one is, so probably the first gen. I'd recommend a ZX3 so you can use the hatch to haul parts and equipment.

Volvos are fine too.

ZX3 can also tow 1,000 lbs.

>Ultra cheap parts
>Easy to work on
>2600lbs
>130hp/tq

Only recommended "upgrade" is changing the rears overs to disc brakes for ease of maintenance. Won't stop you any better but not having to deal with drums is nice.

I speak as someone who has done quite a bit of repair work on the 99-07 focus

A tip for rallycross: Stay in stock class.

Another tip: You'll be shagging cones for 5 hours and racing for a total of 10 minutes.

Consider just finding local trails and driving on those instead.

>volvos meme tier rally cars

Unless you live in scandinavia or are a volvo expert and have a junkyard full of cars to pull parts from then yes.

They ~can~ be fast but you would be better off just buying an E34/E36 if you want to RWD rally.

Same with with the RX7 or Porche 944. You may as well just buy a new edge mustang or E34/E36.

i plan on buying an s10 shortbed for this

anyone got a reason not to? also why do people spread the front wheels but not back wheels like in pic related

pigfat
rollover
slow

Because to get more travel out of those IFS setups you need longer control arms

Sounds bretty gud. Gonna wait around and see if I can grab something sub $1K around here.

not too pigfat, the cost definately is worth that downside imo
>rollover
doubt it
>slow
maybe, not gonna be slower than the other cars im considering

why dont they adds spacers on the rear to match?

Spacers on a prerunner type truck is a dangerous idea, even tiny hubcentric ones. If you put spacers on large enough to match the front track width on that truck the rear wheels would fall off going over a speed bump

is there no safe way to space them for less chance of rolling?

old impreza

Leave volvo alone u nigga