There's a used 2015 Chevy Sonic down the road from me that I really like

There's a used 2015 Chevy Sonic down the road from me that I really like

>40k miles
>1.4 ecotec turbo
>6 speed auto
>$11k

Should I go for it Veeky Forums?

>gm

11k seems a little high for a 40k miles car, I may be wrong, check other comparable listings on autotrader or Kbb or something

Also read the sticky m8

I found the Ford guy

I read the sticky, I'm asking about this specific car. And the price is basically spot on for kbb cause it's the ltz with all the bells and whistles I guess

>now blue

meh

Huh?

Actually, I'm a Chevy guy who's mocking a Ford guy. It's a nice impression, don't you think?

Considering I took a journey on your ruse cruise, very convincing. Do you have an opinion on the car beyond your meme façade?

You could find a Kia Forte SX Turbo for around the same price, Has good low down torque and would run circle around the sonic with better reliability.

Well that's not really on the table rn, but the engines are designed for different things and the cars aren't even the same class so it's not really apples to apples

>designed for different things
doesnt matter
its a compact car with a 4 pot turbo just like the sonic

So basically you just want a Economy car, might as well get a prius if your looking for mpg's

Well considering the sonic is a subcompact, gets better fuel economy, and is cheaper they sound pretty different to me. Either way it doesn't matter because that Kia isn't an option

Those aren't even close to the same type of car, and I'm not considering cars based solely on fuel economy

Sonic is a pretty good car, drives ok, the 1.4T is a good engine. OK low down power but falls off up high, but is very reliable and gets good MPGs if you aren't on boost all the time.

We dont ever really have reliability issues with them in my fleet, but 11k for a 40k mileage car sounds high. You should be able to talk them down a bit, and be sure to ask if it was a rental car.

Okay cool, it does seem in line with what kbb says. I can definitely try and wiggle them down more

How is the tuning following for the Sonic? Is there decent aftermarket support for it? Hows the chassis? Handling and suspension?

>11k

nah

Ecotecs have a surprising amount of support from even gm official performance catalogs. This is an ltz so I'm sure you could put the firmer rs suspension in it. I also saw some owners forums saying you can go from the stock 16 psi to 23 pretty safely

it's actually pretty solid, same with the Cruze. There's flash tunes for the 1.4 that they share that bump it up to about 200ish hp, turbo supporting mods, coilovers, the basics are all covered.

The ecotec family of engines have always been fairly well supported by both OE and aftermarket, and these cars just kinda continue that. Similar to the Cobalt back in the day.

I've heard the chassis in the Sonic is surprisingly stiff, but I can't say anything first hand, never really flogged one.

Slow. Cheap, rattly interiors, shitty handling. The console took too a bit too much leg room (not even that much of a tall/big guy ffs ), ymmv.

I'd recommend test driving one at a stealership b4 buying if you're dead set on it.

Oh I already test drove it before making this thread. I didn't find any of that to be true in my experience but it might all be reletive

I have a 12' sonic turbo with a stick, I'm the original owner, it's been taken care of, and I'm not hard on it. 70k miles. I've been to the dealer three times in the past two months for almost $5k in warranty work.

Take that as you will, maybe I got a lemon.

No. A civic for 3k is a better car. Plus,
>automatic

While the civic for 3k is a hilarious meme I'm not alpha enough for a car of such stature. Plus I commute in stop and go traffic so auto is prime

To clarify,
>Turbo, and all associated bits.
>Timing belt tensioner
>PCV valve

It's not a meme. It's built with quality materials and gets good mpg, weighs 2500 lbs, and has big windows. These gms are Korean built trash. Why would anyone spend 11k on an econobox when you can get a perfectly good appliance for 3k. You could finance a good Chevy volt for around 15k.

Well the sonic is American built (not just because chebby but the sonics are built in America). I get that the civic is a good car for its age though

They're crap.

Go find a Pontiac Vibe. It is a corolla hatch, with out the yota tax.

Toyota matrix, corolla, or prius are also good.

Why do you want to spend 11k on an appliance? Cash or financing? Post your local Craigslist

I actually sat in a matrix at the same lot and I don't even come close to fitting in the driver's seat! I'm a large lad (about 6'6" 220 pounds) and with the seat all the way back my knees were one with the dashboard

>I get that the civic is a good car for its age though
It's a better car period, not just "for its age". Not even here in Uruguay would I pay 11k for a fucking Sonic (which is basically a Daewoo btw). As another user said, post your craigslist. It's better to get a good 2010 car (some compact or midsize) than a shitty (city car or subcompact) 2015.
Safer, comfier, etc. Only downside, maybe the MPG.

Yeah Craigslist isn't an option, I don't have cash. And before niggers come out of the woodwork screeching about financing I don't have a choice. I have almost no cash but need a car to get to work since mine is being taken. Craigslist is irrelevant

overpriced as fuck. these cars should be less than 12 off the dealer lot, not 11k with half their life expectancy burnt through.

Well idk how many cars you've had last only 2 years and 80k miles, but that isn't a typical life expectancy for a car. And ANY new car off the lot for 12k is ridiculous

Can't get a loan either?

Also post craigs anyways, maybe we can find you a shitbox for under 1k so you can save instead of making monthly payments.

I can (barely) get a dealer loan, like the one for this sonic. But I cannot get a credit union loan for anything privately sold. And even if I could, they require newer low milage cars so no matter how this goes down a 3k civic is not viable

Do you have to make a downpayment on the sonic? How much? Post your local craigs

I don't know what anyone here would see that I haven't. There are 0 cars in my area for less than 1500 that aren't just parts cars

$500 so basically no

Where do you live? A friend of mine got a working car for $500 in Miami 2 years ago and she's a foreign woman who never lived in the US before. It can't be that hard.

it's a disposable daewoo. you're putting this magical limit on yourself that new cars have to be expensive. Chevy is always piling on incentives because these tiny econoboxes are only there to attract young people and first time buyers, who will hopefully buy another larger chevy in the future.
within 5 minutes I found a local autotrader listing for a NEW base '16 Sonic for 11,000. There's probably some incentives included on that price, but a slick haggler can get there. You might say "well it doesn't have alloy wheels" or some shit, which makes your argument invalid because it's an econobox that has an MSRP that starts with '1'. Someone who can't afford cash-up-front for a Cragislist Civic/Corolla cannot afford 'premium' features in their econobox.

Will the engine and transmission and vital components on it go more than 80k miles? probably. will the interior? ehh. does it matter? it depends.

I mean the key here is that I, along with a couple other people, have mentioned the price is too high. If you would like to plow forward and say "no, I think it's reasonable without comparing other prices or shopping outside my nearby buy-here-pay-here", then that's your thing. It doesn't matter to me if someone overpays for a Daewoo, but it should be a red flag that it might not be that great of a deal.

On the OP car, I guarantee that it was bought back from the original owner for the amazing trade-in price of MAYBE 7000. Nothing was done to it and now it's being listed for 11 because even if someone haggles them down 2500 they're still making a decent amount. Many pre-owned dealers rely on people coming in to "get a good deal on a pre-depreciated car" only to get railed because while the MSRP-to-sale-price differential is high, the MSRP isn't anywhere near close to what they paid for, especially if it's a domestic.

>And ANY new car off the lot for 12k is ridiculous

Absolutely.

Canadian here, both Chevrolet Sparks and Nissan Micras are $10k (~7.6k USD) MSRP starting.

11k seems slightly above market, but it's probably the most pleasant basic subcompact to drive. It's good for what it is. What's the ownership history/Carfax look like on it? 40k seems a little high for a '15.

I guess to wrap it up, get a loan from a credit union, NOT the dealer, and if you pay over 10 for a sonic with 40k, get GAP warranty from the credit union and roll it into the loan.

Try again?

The spark starts at 13k MSRP in the us.

I'd love to get one from a credit union but the won't finance me, as I've said

do you want me to post a fucking buyer's order showing a new off-the-lot Fusion for 16,400?
>thinking truecar is the best deal
do as you will, but I would recommend just punching the shitbox into autotrader and seeing what happens.
but seriously, get the GAP

Well I'm the only one that's posted anything concrete, your just getting butt mad spouting in about special cases that have no bearing in my scenario

Join credit karma and tell us your credit score if you don't know it. Don't believe what anyone at the sketchy dealer told you.

We can't post anything concrete if you don't post your city.

I'm 18, my credit is nothing because I've looked my self

What have you been using for transportation? Still post your Craigslist just for shits and giggles

you're literally putting limitations on yourself due to things people who don't know what they're talking about have assumed, or the dealer has told you, or you've assumed.
credit unions will offer car loans to new people without credit. there are many options for no-credit starters if you can at least prove a reasonable income. do you really think that a buy-here-pay-here dealer really has your best interest in mind?

I am telling you to buy GAP or something so you can get not as raped when the value depreciates and you wind up getting wrecked by some uninsured idiot.

Considering I have formally applied at 2 credit unions and was denied a loan of any sort by both of them, idk as I'm doing what you assumed I did

Why credit unions and not banks tho?
Foreign guy asking, I don't know much about the american system

Do you have a job?

Yes I work full time, this thread is literally about a car to get me to work

Why are you so reluctant to reveal unidentifying data? Do you live in a super small town or something and suspect one of us lives there too and would laugh at you for the car you're getting or your credit score? lol

Nah I think he saw the car, fell in love with it and now seeks validation so he avoids his choice being questioned. Many such cases, sad!

How much do you make? How stable?

Do you want someone to pat you on the back and tell you you're doing the right thing?

Because I think that anyone who wants to finance an overpriced Daewoo because they "need" a car sure as hell isn't doing the right thing.

>Do you want someone to pat you on the back and tell you you're doing the right thing?
I think that's what exactly he wants. Let's dispel with this fiction that OP doesn't know what he's doing, he knows exactly what he's doing.

Post your local craigslist

I like that car too user, but i would recommend looking for a manual one.

its a small hatch, with a turbo. It would be fun with manual. Though I know that the LTZ trim is not offered with manual transmission, only LT. So it depends what you value most in a car - gadgets or driving dynamics.

It's still overpriced af

I don't know what else you want from him, he has already tried to get money and been denied. They're not going to change their minds if he asks for a loan again.

bad idea, those are some of the most unreliable pieces of garbage you can buy. it's not necessarily a chevy thing, but that particular car is actually a shit due to the fact that it's an extremely cheaply built, rebranded opel thing

OP, save yourself the grief and buy a slightly older toyota yaris or honda fit for the same price, maybe a 2010 or something. you'll be glad you got it over that pile of dung on wheels

You're thinking of the Opel Corsa... Which was much better than this rebadged Worst Korean shitbox.

OP seems fixated on it tho.

Nah, not really. I don't have a thing for subcompacts.

>fewer than 289 cubic inches

you can find other cars that look like that for cheaper
I bought my 09 vibe with 32k miles for $6000 to drive 30 miles every day to school
its a good handling little car for what it is and with the 2.4 I'm sure its just as quick as the 1.4 ecotec
and the plus side is it has a Toyota engine because its a rebadged matrix

Depends, are the arms blue?

No, you haven't given him any alternatives that aren't somehow coming up with a few thousand in cash for a craigslist box. Which would be fine, if he hadn't already said he has applied for loans to do just that and already been denied.

He seems to have fucked off though. We'll know what he chose to do in a few days if we're lucky. Hope he doesn't buy that thing.

>Depends, are the arms blue?
What did he mean by this?

We can't really give him alternatives if he doesn't give us a location to look at what's for sale even in dealers.

the sticky is garbage and for poorfag teenagers with McJobs.
it also hasn't been updated in like 5 years.

CWC pls

>all these salty poorfags
I just bought a three year old top of the line kia rio with under 40k for 10,500. It has two years full warranty and being CPO it has 100k mile power train warranty. A 3k civic is not going to get me that. Maybe OP wants warranty and no worries? Not everyone likes fixing shit or getting left on the side of the road.

>implying a 2010 Civic is unreliable
>implying anyone would give you shit for buying a nice Rio
The issue here isn't the 11k, the issue is that it's a Sonic with 40k miles for 11k. You're only strengthening our case, user.

>muh reliability
>implying an older Honda isn't more reliable than a shitty Chevy, let alone a fucking Hyundai

This is only cars built in the U.S.

What the hell are you basing your considerations on then.

>Should I go for it Veeky Forums?
If you run VIN check, it will probably show it was bought and used in 2014 may when they start to sell next year's model. That might account for the high miles. 11K for a 2014 car with 1.4L engine is pricey.

Those GM 1.4L turbo ecotec were also problematic in their first years. That was found out in the 2016 chevy malibu which had 1.4L turbo ecotec. Meanwhile, the 2016 malibu limited 2.5L N/A owners continued to have a problem free time since the bugs were worked out of those long before. Too many owners who drove them enough miles started to have problems. So this chevy sonic owner is probably gunshy and decided to get rid of it before such problems came up.

>problematic

I didn't know Minis were built in the US, user

>calls people poorfags
>owns a kia rio