Are winches a good tool to have if you do a lot of driving in the middle of fucking nowhere, Canada...

Are winches a good tool to have if you do a lot of driving in the middle of fucking nowhere, Canada, and your 4LO cannot get you out of a ditch? What other alternatives there are out there?

I am not an experienced snow driver. I already have snow tyres, my truck is 4x4 but I will be doing a lot of driving in areas that are literally in the middle of nowhere, alone. Other than the usual (weight on the back, 4HI, bag of cat litter for added traction) I am willing to buy any accessory that might be the difference between frostbite and a scare.

>inb4 "just drive carefully lol"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rcf15XqoD6Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

not really. only good for offroad.

and only if there's rocks and trees to hook your shit to.

Get ama like the rest of us Canadians
Alberta class 1 rig pig

right, I already thought of that. Pic related is what I think could work

Retarded question, but I'm assuming if a winch is rated for 4000LB and my truck is 3000LB, I should be alright?

Not in Alberta, and no I don't feel like waiting for AAA for 4 hours when I could just buy a gizmo(s) to get me out of trouble

Well bud, ama does more then pull you out.
You have a battery pack to boost yourself if your battery dies on a rural road?
Deck of cards
Blanket x2
Flares
Triangles
Vitamins / rations
.22 rifle locked up rounds
Full spare
Shovel
Matches

oh I thought AMA was what housewives called when they got stuck in 2cm on snow on their way to pick up Hayden from soccer practice

Yeah I already got the survival kit part covered

No its what all the oil field workers do so we don't have to dig out our trucks.

I work 100 hours minimum a week + travel time
I don't have the energy to dig out my truck when it gets stuck desu.
Sure out mugging in the summer is different

well I don't work as much, as I am self employed, so if I get stuck I'm SOL unless (and I will if it comes to that I guess) spend a fortune getting a CAA truck to the middle of fucking nowhere

But lets assume I'm a jew who'd rather save his shekels and instead spend it on anything that could pull me out of snow

>screw-in anchor
>frozen soil
haha no
get two of pic related, plus a sledgehammer and a shovel.

what is that?

You aren't actually moving 3K lbs. You've have to bury it to the axles to be moving 3K lbs, and even then thats only when its stuck in the rut.

The biggest issue is what the wire rope on that 4K winch is rated for and what the winches individual layer ratings are.

ok thanks

I keep a good come along, two 30 foot straps and two 7/8 clevises

Much cheaper than a winch and works just as well

OP, do you own a Hi Lift Jack? aka the farm jack. It can lift your vehicle very high off the ground. in addition, if you have an array of chains or straps you can use it to winch your vehicle.
youtube.com/watch?v=rcf15XqoD6Q

are you dense? it's a ground anchor.

I get it, but where's the part that goes underground? or how is it able to have any traction at all?

these look handy. however, if you've rural Canada in the middle of the winter, you would be willing to spend the extra dosh on solutions that don't involve having to work outside so much

they're slow as fuck too

Confirmed for thick as a brick.

better than freezing to death in a ditch isn't it?

You pound the stakes into the ground.

you could have both

a winch so you can be out of the ditch before your Timmies is cold

and if the winch fails, then you switch to the come along and hope you don't get frostbitten

Winch + block and tackle.

You don't need to get out fast, learn what mechanical advantage is.

Maxtrax are fire as fuck tb.h senpai

> Getting stuck
> Ever
It's like you don't even offroad.

On the warn website they have a winch capacity calculator, and it something like 1.5x your GVWR. For example, my truck's GVWR is 8600lbs, and the site said I'd need a >15,000lb winch. Dunno if it is just so they can sell stuff, but I'm sure there is more to winching than just the static weight of the truck

Well yes, if your truck is stuck you're carrying the trucks weight + the resistance from whatever it is stuck it. Also the winch wears out, so if you buy a winch that barely meets the requirement for your vehicles weight it might break ya dig?

1.5 times your gross has always been the rule of thumb. For example, with a Ranger I wouldn't want less than a 9000lb winch.
Just keep in mind that winching isn't for the layman, and is extremely dangerous. Make the effort to get out with people who are experienced and learn from them before you go gung ho in the middle of nowhere by yourself.

This. The amount of times I've tried to haul myself out of the mud in Spintires and ended up simply tearing down the tree I attached myself to is absurd.