Whats up Veeky Forums not native to this board just asking a simple question to what I presume are the most cynical...

Whats up Veeky Forums not native to this board just asking a simple question to what I presume are the most cynical asses in the car community. I live in a pretty harsh climate during the winter but beautiful during the spring and summer, I'm looking at getting a mitusbishi evo. What are the common issues? What year should I be looking for? And what are the better alternatives?

>What are the common issues
Rice taxed to hell and back, often poorly modded and/or beaten on to the point where it's about to break. You'll never find one stock, but if you can find one with consistent maintenance records that's about as good as it gets.

>And what are the better alternatives
The WRX STi was its direct competitor. Give those a look too, but bear in mind you'll be seeing the same issues of vape tax, eBay mods and cunts looking to unload busted models.

the newer one's are kind of big, but otherwise if you want the all wheel drive i'd be looking for an STI- they're not better than the evo's while on track but they're much much cheaper for nearly the same.

if you're not modding go for a subaru.

I figured the STI would be the most competitive, is there anything else that comes close to these? Or are these considering they are stock and not modded by shitters the best options without compromising the sports car feel?

The wrx is a much better daily than the sti or evo. If you wanna mod and make big power wrx is not what you want. But you can get some decent power out of wrx if you mod it right.

What is you end goal with the car?

Well if you're looking at awd performance cars that can still function as a daily, there's the focus RS and golf r.

There's also v6 awd fusions. You didn't mention a price range but you posted an evo 8 so I'm assuming you don't care if it's used and want something under $25k

are you that guy who parks outside and has to wash his car every 2 days?

Yes. I am and I hate my life because of it
Sadly.it's to cold and they will be salting roads soon

>What are the common issues
It's a Mitsubishi.

>Being slow means better daily driver

Mor comfy better mpg. Mine can beat a stock sti from a roll or a dig. Ran a buddy from work with his sti.

Notice how I asked what OP end goal.for the car.

>Comfort means better daily driver
>Mpgs means better daily driver
>My automatic allows me to win some races in a straight line

These are all opinions, not facts.

>sticky
look at the eagle talon TSi (90-98)
and the Mitsubishi Eclipse (90-99)
both are pretty cheap and competitive alternatives

sheeeiiiit. Do you have a beater?

Kek. Who buys an auto wrx. Although you do speak truth I let my criteria for a dd cloud my judgement. I will give you that.

No real end goal, just want something fun yet practical in shitty weather as well as dry pavement.

So I'm getting that if I want to mod (which I don't) then the Evo is the way to go. Otherwise go with the STI? Also price isn't a real issue, but I'd like to keep it around 25-30k USD

No beater, bought a crotch rocket instead. It's already done 2 winters outside. I have come to terms with the car slowly rotting away

Evos can get big numbers cheaper and easier than sti. But if you just throw money at them they are about the same. Evo will be faster around the track.

I would say go test drive a wrx you can get one brand new for like 25-27k depending on your haggling skills. Plus you can be first one to far on the seats.

I love both the evo and sti if I had money and a garage I would have both.

Don't buy a 10-14 year old Mitsubishi/Subaru, drive it during the winter, and expect it not to rust out.

No, seriously, get a older Jeep/Subaru or manual Honda as a daily driver. Otherwise you'll be missing arches in a few years.

Not if your area uses mgcl instead of salt. It's still not good for your car but it doesn't cause near as much rust.

If you're buying AWD for winter only you'll be disappointed. It's all about tires, AWD only gets you out of a dig, a dig you won't be in because your car sits so low. But yeah, they're quick, unreliable and fun. As long as you know it's going to break because the last owner thrashed it to hell and back you'll have a good time

Or just regularly wash your car and re apply undercoating if it's cracked and rotted
I drive a 10 year old subie with no rust at all and it's seen its fair share of winters