Wtf happened to mitsubishi? how did they end up becoming a boring commuter brand...

wtf happened to mitsubishi? how did they end up becoming a boring commuter brand? They used to have a bunch of sporty shit in their lineup.

mistsubishi doesnt exist anymore bought out by nissan

IDK WHAT THE FUCK REALLY HAPPENED JUST RETARDS I GUESS

Think Russia vs the US in the cold war. Russia folded because they couldn't keep up in the arms race. Mitsu folded because they couldn't keep up with Subaru in the Evo/STi wars.

More like owned by Frogs (Renault)

Top quality Falcunt tier post

>the Evo literally wrecks subaru ass
>there is literally nothing else
>Eclipse is a shadow of what it used to be as an FWD/AWD sporty car
>no 3000GT
>no RWD
>Mitsubishi, toyota and honda got cucked AF. None of them got any RWD sports/sporty RWD car other than the GT86 but we all know how that one went.
>we will never see a new supra/S2000/NSX/AE86

>Lancer Evolution
>evo never offered as a hatch/wagon (once DOES NOT COUNT)
>no middle-level wrx non-STi version

Those two things killed the evo

>3rd generation eclipse
>stupid FWD factory rice
>no AWD or turbochargers

Those killed the Eclipse

>everything else
>Mitsubishi just plain sucks

Its a pain. 2nd Gen Eclipse is in my mind the sexiest guilty pleasure and i would probably want a full black one and fucking hoon with it even if it was a heavy boat FWD shit.

Isn't this every car japanese car manufacturer? Toyota doesn't even make sports cars anymore, they have other companies make them then slap their badges on them.

>had superior vehicles
>didn't have possum Bourne
Evo 8 > hawkeye

Evo 8 is literally the best evo ever made.

I wonder how much of a role not selling their cars under their own brand played in the is market.

>is market
US market.

>Russia folded because they couldn't keep up in the arms race.

>tfw /k/ommando
>tfw triggered by this incredibly flawed analysis of the typical WARPAC military development/procurement cycle and Soviet capital allocation (as compared to Western capital allocation)
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

could you please elaborate? Sounds interesting.

that's not what happened. Cultural war with the hollywood and music was extremely desired, soviet union didn't even have jeans for fucks sake.
Then there was shitload of retarded economical descisions like, hey, let's plant corn!
That combined with the space and arms race completely bankrupted Soviet union and the common people of every member state wanted out.
Soviet Union ran went bankrupt and almost everyone other than the most brainwashed goons was tired of standing in line for hours just to get a bottle of beer.
Their arms were mostly up to bar

>wrx

Fucking gross. Need to take it to the scrapyard where it belongs.

>we will never see a new supra/S2000/NSX/AE86

But there is a new supra coming, talks of a S2000 successor, a new NSX is out, and the Toyobaru is the successor to the AE86.

USSR was never keeping up with the arms race, Amerifats being afraid of there own shadow made them think there was an arms race.

>stock black 2nd gen gsx on local cl
>broke af
just end it now

Honda japan has the S660, a mid engine rear wheel drive kei car, they're not selling it anywhere else though

>wtf happened to mitsubishi?
The modern Japanese automotive industry happened. Non-boring cars are inefficient and do not offer the highest profit margins.

Yeah, I'd drop everything to buy one if they brought it to the US, but very few people outside of Japan would want a car that small and with that little power.

Young people,the primary market for sporty cars cannot afford new cars,so they had to start making new boring cars for old people.

Russians spent trillions that they didn't have and got crushed economically.

They failed to provide for their people which led to a want for change/revolution.

also russian doctrine was shit, relied heavily upon AA defeating Western air power somehow since their jets were shit, conscript army of uneducated peasants, and T series is the winner of the turret throwing contest since 1941.

Stay triggered vatnik your precious commie shit stain of a nation is never coming back

I don't understand how you can like this.
It looks good, but it is so underpowered that you'd have trouble getting up steep hills.
63 hp is nothing. The Renault Twingo is a rear engined RWD car with almost 89 hp and the same weight. And people still complain about it being underpowered.

There has been some talk about releasing one with a slightly larger engine in the US, so that might be nice.

Japanese car makers simply have lost their original advantages, which were low prices and reliability.
Now that others can compete, they can't keep up in foreign markets.

kei car laws limit the amount of power they can have stock and still be legally considered one

>How did JDM end up boring
Buyers tastes are in their ASSS.
Economic downtturn on a global scale some countries worse now than the great depression
Hmmm i wonder why?

Also Nobody is buying the 86 or the Miata or the R35 or fucken Evo so they all got canned or priced out of their traditional segments

companies are concerned about making money

not appeasing car enthusiests on a taiwanse childrens puppet making forum

but the evo's have always been faster than the sub around a track

Also the Russians wanted to steal the state companies. The fall of the USSR is one of the biggest robbery ever made.

>no middle-level wrx non-STi version
Wut? They made the Ralliart Lancer.

more like mitsubishit

Its non turbo. Aka an impreza rs

>no more FTO
>no more Eclipse
>no more Galant vr4
>no more 3000gt
>no more Lancer Evolution
Feels bad man. The only Jap company that still makes a sports car is Nissan (WRX sti has turned to pigfat garbage, can barely keep up with a Kia Optima anymore).

Mitsubishi makes like 3 boring ass cars now and that's all. They're a fucking huge company though and still relevant in dozens of other sectors.

They had a ralliart lancer from 09 to 11, but it was so shit that nobody bought it.

why would you spend over 30k on a brand new ralliart

when you could spend under 20k on a used evo in great condition

>being poor is not my fault, I swear!
yeah just end your life dude

I still keep a newspaper clipping from when he died m8

/thread

Without a turbo good for 230-250HP and a hatch/wagon variant available through the whole run of the car, it was destined to lose to Subaru in sales even if the EVO outdoes the STi on the track.

>can barely keep up with a Kia Optima anymor

Optima actually isn't half bad these days

Is Mitsubishi the "poor man's X" of car companies?

For example, the 3000gt/GTO was a poor mans GTR and the starion was a poor mans z

>poor man's gtr
if that's the case then why do second hand 3000gt awd cost as much as supra mk4 tt/rx7/z32 tt? without the r34 import tax they'd cost about the same too.

I meant r32

LOL the GTO was faster than a GTR,

And the Z32 wasn't even close to the GTO.

Mitsubishi spent a fraction of what Nissan spent on their GTR on their GTO and still got a pretty damn good contender to the GTR.

GTO superior on their top speed/acceleration.

GTO would be ahead of the GTR in the first laps but the GTR would then take on it.

I mean holy shit can't believe I'm gonna say this but the N/A Z32 is slower than the USDM FWD N/A 3000GT because it's even pig fatter than the N/A FWD.

But even a 3.5 Maxima can rape both... which is sad.

Evo > STi

And you know that.

Are they really going for that much now? I remember when I wanted one about 3 years ago they were going for like $5k at the most. Turbo mk4 supras and FD rx7's have always been expensive as fuck. z32tt not as much.

>Mitsubishi spent a fraction of what Nissan spent on their GTR on their GTO

And it showed. While it was quick and had some pretty cool tech like active aero and aws, it was really unreliable.

>new supra
Rumors
>new NSX
Literally a rip off of its former self just to appeal to GTR faggots. AWD, twin turbo V6? Yep. Just a MR GTR.

The original NSX became what it was because it had F1 tech behind it, it was N/A and it didn't need AWD to be fun or fast. Now it seems like they dont care about it anymore. They just want to copy the looks of an Audi R8 and place a GTR engine in the back with a DCT-only option and call it a exotic car.

>why do second hand 3000gt awd cost as much as supra mk4

Because they don't? Guy I know picked up a modded 3000 GT, the fancy AWD VR4 version, more or less fully built short of bigger turbos, for under $3k last year. Runs and drives fine, nothing really wrong with it, decently quick car, though it could probably use a better tune and less wonky electronics.

Other guy I know just picked up an auto TT mk4 Supra in need of a fuckload of work (thing has literally half the paint missing, interior is in shambles, rear hatch held on by duct tape, etc), but with a clean, rust free body otherwise, for $17k.

You can pick up a mint 3000 GT VR4 any day of the week for under $10k. You can't buy a running mk4 supra for under $20k.

Mitsu is just shit.

the last gen ralliart they made had a turbo, i don't think it was twin scroll though. it was literally a baby evo

Japan's economy is fucked, and so they had to drop a bunch of low-margin lines.
Like sporty shit.
In favour of profitable shit like boring commuter cars.
And just knuckle down and hope that they can build robots fast enough to replace workers as they retire and don't get replaced by new workers because young japanese people aren't having kids.

Mitsus are my guilty pleasure

>wtf happened to mitsubishi?

gee, I wonder . .

>High population density, minimal land mass suitable for new settlement
>Workaholic culture with long hours, less extensive welfare state than U.S.
>conservative government in power, so you know they want to exacerbate all existing problems for the profit of a few
It's almost like modern Japan isn't very hospitable to new families

Its an underperforming division in their giant lineup of products

A LITTLE BIT OF TINA, ON MY MIND

They still go alright senpai

there's a common misconception that the Union's economy was stressed to the breaking point by an arms buildup instigated by the West, when in reality the fall was due to political stagnation, an absurd amount of military spending and disastrous agricultural policies.

>political stagnation
due to Brezhnev's reversal of Khrushchev's reform policies, the Soviet Union became plagued with systematic nepotism and corruption. By the end of the Union's existence, the average Politburo member was about 70 years old, and Premiers were just as ancient. This effectively made the Union a gerontocracy incapable of making sound policy decisions; added to the fact that the governing body was woefully out of touch with the reality of a failing nation, this tended to amplify existing problems.

>military spending
the Reagan-era meme that the Soviet Union was pushed to the brink economically due to a US-instigated military spending hike is incorrect; in reality, the Western spending increase was reactionary. The Soviets were the ones that dramatically increased military spending.

Brezhnev established policies that allotted an absurd amount of the Soviet GDP for military R&D and procurement. This allowed the ranks of the Red Army to swell to more than five million well-equipped men and allowed it to easily challenge NATO, but it also diverted money away from areas that desperately needed it and put strain on the Union's economy. Andropov could have reversed the situation but he instead decided to get involved in Afghanistan (which turned into a protracted, expensive conflict). This further fucked the Union's finances up.

(cont.)

>agricultural policies
the Soviet Union always had an underdeveloped agricultural system, but it was severely crippled by destructive policies under Lysenko. Khrushchev attempted to expand the Union's agricultural base but he was hobbled by Lysenko's mistakes and his reforms were canned when he was ousted. The Soviet Union ended up spending enormous amounts of money on grain imports from the West, which were as expensive as they were humiliating.

the point I'm making is, the fall of the Soviet Union is significantly more complex than
>hurr we spent more money than them

(you)

The new NSX, Supra, or S2000 will never be legendary because they will be too high-tech to be able to modify.

>3.5 maxima

Are those really as good as people low key say

They are just good for straight line speed. The torque steer is awful and they are one of the most understeerie cars that I've ever come across. Lowering the car and stiffening the suspension is not enough, the car knows is not an sports car.

It's beaten the hell out of basketball Americans.

Depite that, they are good cars. Performance wise is a joke apart from the engine.