Mazda RX-7 Appreciation Thread

I just bought an FC, wanted one since I was a stupid teenager and picked up one without any rust although the FL has been pulled off to do a carb conversion.

Who else here has one of these badasses? Anything I should know? I'm very familiar with motorcycles (mechanic by trade) and their fuckery with emissions controls.

I'm planning on putting the FI back on and getting it running as it sat for a couple years, then figure out what I want to do.

Other urls found in this thread:

lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5917167051.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But that's an FB.

Only pic I had.

Then take one dumdum
You said it's dorito isn't crunchy anymore? How much did it cost you?

Why would you convert an FC to a carb? They didn't even make carbs for the 13B, not to mention that they are basically shit unless you don't know how wires work.

Sorry misread your post OP. Why would the previous owner convert to a carb? That's just silly.

You can make a fair amount of power with a carbed FC. Not to mention insane simplicity and weight savings
Racing beat makes a kit.

That sounds retarded. If you wanted the weight savings of a carb system you could just use individual short throttle bodies.

Fuel injectors happened for a reason. I can guarantee you that a properly tuned modern EFI system will make more power than a carburetor, especially if using ITB's.

Sounds to me like racing beat used the carb as an excuse to not have to re work the ECU system for a map sensor to run the new intake. Cheaper and easier to backtrack to something they knew worked and used a flange they could just bolt an existing carb to.

You can make more power cheaper with a carb on an NA rotary.
Stop being dense

FD>>>>>>>FB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FC

Gr8b8m8

You're the dense one. Show me the dyno sheet.

FB=FC=FD in terms of appearance
I honestly can't decide which I think looks better

FB>FD>>>>>>>FC

Aesthetically speaking

The FC looks nice, but not really nicer than its contemporaries. People that love the boxy wedge aesthetics will generally love the FC, but there's about 50 other cars that look so similar, and many of them better, from the era.

The FD and FB when you compare them to their contemporaries look nicer than most, if not all, of them.
The FD is much more timeless looking as well, besides the reflectors. And obviously the popups since those aren't legal in some countries so they no longer exist.

What car is better than the FC in the era?

Boy, how complete of a list do you need?

The MR2, De Tomaso Pantera, Porsche 944, TVR 280i, Delorean, and so on.
There's a lot more, and the FC looks quite nice, but come on, it wasn't THE nicest looking car sold in 1986.

And of different styles, you also have gorgeous cars from the era like the 3 series BMW, Buick Grand Noble, Porsche 928, Porsche 911 Carerra (whale tail), and so on.

>tfw trying to find a 13b FB for cheap to turn into a drag car
>all those 12a

delet this

>mr2 mk1
no
>pantera
Probably but very expensive and uncommon
>944
No
>tvr
Did they ever run? Also expensive and uncommon
>delorean
No
Are we talking looks only? Cuz thats subjective. I was talking performance. Especially in the price range

The FC literally is a better looking 944 with a more interesting engine

Wait hold on a fucking sec, did you just say the Delorean was a better car than the FC? Holy shit LOL a non turbo FC would run CIRCLES around a DMC! You're fucked.

Also, FC>944 and it's about as effective as an MR2, just able to drift. Not familiar with the Tomato Soup Panini or the TVR (is that in the same class? It costs a fuckton)

Wait, I'm an idiot, you're strictly talking about looks. You're still wrong about a lot of those, though.

>>tfw no FB RX-7 with plaid interior and fender mirrors
feels bad mane

yep yeppers.
1987 rx7 shes my world

Dont know shit about these but just saw this on my local craigslist and I think its beautiful. Thoughts on this guys?

lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5917167051.html

Great deal, ask for 2 grand.
Aren't they awesome? I daily an FC right now and it made me want to buy an FD so bad, so I did.

I DDd an 86 GXL for 7 years.
The most pleasant car i have ever driven. There is no feeling like it.

Bro, even mine is a blast, and it's just a 91 NA coupe with the most backbreaking suspension, solid aluminum motor and transmission "mounts", and a straight pipe exhaust (fucking illegally loud). Definitely a car you have to want to drive.... but holy shit does it reward you

Rx-8 question: is it possible to buy the original rx8 rims in 17 size? What is the original manufacturer and type? I'd put it on my 6 but 18 tires are too expensive and hard too.

Is upkeep gonna be a bitch? I am pretty new to cars but wouldnt mind learning

What the hell gave you the idea I was talking performance?

I was purely talking looks, dude.

Yeah the FC, if you just drop a few grand in it, will beat any car of the time for the same amount of money. The 13b is stupid fucking easy to get power out of.

In fact, look at my fucking post

>looks
>look nicer
>timless

I said not a single fucking thing about performance, and who I was replying to was also talking about looks.
Fuck you guys are retarded.

Really fun cars.

I dont think I've ever seen an uglier car. FD all the way

FBs are disgusting cars for awful people. Really bad all round situation, something needs to be done.

FD>FC>FB

they got better as they matured imotbhfamalam

>triggered FC plebs itt

kek

buy 12a rx7, pray 12a is good condition, sell 12a and have money for 13b plus change

you two can suck my duck

why aren't you dead yet?

FB a cute
CUTE

why do you want me dead?

brobably so he can nab your FB

>straight pipe dorito
you madman

No idea how I haven't been pulled over. This thing is fucking LOUD, especially above 6k RPM. Like, I have to roll up my window if I'm next to a barrier on the highway.

On the FC? No, it's all simple as fuck since it's not a turbo. On the FD? Well, that's another story, but I'll get back to you on that. My first car was a 20+ year old Jag that cost 2.5x what the FD cost in 1995, and I had that thing running perfect just by looking into things myself. I know the FD is a beast of its own, but I'm looking for a challenge.

I love all of them

Rotaries are fucking shitty crap but I still want a furst gen bad

That is a very silly list of cars.

and you could drop a V8 in it to make it less shit

Are those Mazda 3 wheels? Looks awesome

Yeah really you could put anything in it, VR6 would probably be pretty cool too
I love old mazdas pham

favorite Ive seen is a F20 from S2K

all them revs in a not shit package

>tfw no 6 rotoru FB

You love old Mazdas so you want to swap boring and gay engines into them? Gotcha

You forgot the part where it's a shit engine and worse than the 13B Renesis from the RX8

Rotaries are real sportscar engines. Deal with it. They tolerate abuse much better than piston cucks, and are simple as fuck to rebuild. Easy to tune, but thirsty (not as thirsty as a boxer 6 turbo or V10, cough cough), and their light weight and crazy packaging make them a no-brainer. Fuck, they sit behind the front axle and so low down, it's ridiculous.

What really gets me is that Mazda is the only one putting R+D into them and I think that's insane that they work as well as they do. They have less problems than early piston engines. Fuck, they have less problems than modern Subaru engines. Apex seals are a meme told by people who didn't know how to take care of a rotary. All you have to do is redline it every so often to get rid of carbon (this is a positive, who doesn't like redlining their car?) and don't drive it hard when cold like a retard would, which is something no one seems to want to do for some reason. Piston engines have more tolerance for losing compression, so you'll lose 20% of your power before needing a rebuild, but you won't rebuild the engine because you're a lazy normie and it costs too much; you can't forget to buy your wife that new dress so she can impress Chad at work!

>tfw its winter and cant drive your racecar

muh 87 efff-uh Cee

Reminder to filter shitposting tripfags
It's this simple

this
fb easily top 10 ugliest cars ever built.

Butthurt rotard purist spotted, abandon thread

>fill up fuel tank
>have just enough fuel to get to the next gas station
>oh and make sure you redline at least once before you get there

Great cars, and cheap to drive and build up. But rare now, which is unfortunate.

Mine has a hybrid turbo and new fuel system. Most of it is "stock-ish".