Tipping waiters and waitresses

My girlfriend and I are in disagreement with Americas current tipping situation. What do you guys think should a waiter or waitress be entitled to a tip if the service is decent or exceptional or should the tip remain optional.

You don't have to and not doing so makes you a douche and feel like crap.
Tipping feels great.

20% and it's optional.

Ask her to give money to everyone whose nice to her and see how long she lasts. Waiters are not special for carrying your food for ten seconds.

Ask her to go tip the car mechanic, or the plumber, or whichever overseas asian kid made her shirt.

The employer should pay their wages.
>"waah I live off of tips"
Find a better job. Develop some skills. Provide something greater than bringing food and drink to a table without spilling it.

Fuck tipping.

I tip 20% because it's part of culture here and I'm not fucking poor. If you don't like tipping stop going out to eat and make your own fucking food.

If the expectation of tipping bothers you, move to a country where it isn't expected.

Unfortunately in America the employers don't pay decent wages and tips are expected.

You should always tip

>decent wage
Weasel word

>waiting is literally carrying food for ten seconds

Seems you have no idea what the fuck a front office is.

fuck tipping
i haven't gone into a restaurant in a year because i refuse to tip

The best thing is reading shit like "i refuse to tip" as a restaurant. Obviously if you just ordered some pizza, tipping the guy 5$ for just bringing it to the door, on top of that ridiculous 3$ delivery fee, kinda stings.

But at a restaurant, especially when out with your significant other, or some family, and you are trying to have a memorable night, and the waiter in on point with everything, there really is no option. Also, if you've ever taken a vacation and stayed for 3+ days at any hotel, like ever, I will find that one or two employee who's going to make my life easier every day, and I will make him by tossing him a 20$ every day.

Anyways, in the States waiters are paid below minimum wage (4.70 is mostly what I saw) so if you don't tip when your party of 5 go out to some shitty Red Lobster, you are literally eating for much cheaper than you should as businesses make their services cheaper by offering employees less wages. The more they pay the waiters, the more they are going to have to charge you for food.

I've always worked at fancy restaurants when I was younger. Places where a cheeseburger was 25$, and a liter of water cost about 17$ after 7% state tax and an 18% service charge.

All restaurants I worked at when I was younger had a service charge, usually an 18% that gets split amongst management, kitchen, bar, and finally the waiter who gets like 10% of it.

Anyhow people who don't tip are alright. They just get shit wayyyy slower than guests who do.

why did you quote me

i literally just put there that I don't go to restaurants altogether, or anywhere where there is tipping
thanks to this stupid idea i don't participate in your economy

Only niggers dont tip and basement dwellers, i guess by looking ITT

Then don't work for an employer that pays shit wages. Seriously, why the fuck would anyone agree to work as a server when they're just as qualified to work at mcdonalds for more money. It's fucking mind numbing.

To all the single moms, should have wrapped up.
To all the college kids, my tip ain't gonna put a dent in your basket weaving debt.
To all the deadbeats, should have worked harder pussy.

No handouts. Life isn't a fairy tale with happily ever afters. There's winners and losers. The guy bringing me food and then expecting a tip is like the homeless guy wiping windows for change. A loser.

You think everyone can work at mcdonald's?

Not tipping isn't economically feasible for customers or the employers because the restaurant business operates on such slim margins, 3% under normal circumstances even with the ridiculous pricing.

Tipping is necessary because waiting is essentially a sales job, upscale restaurants make their money from being able to upcharge customers on things like wine. If I was going to work and getting paid 25 dollars and hour to just show up, why would I bust my balls trying to get convince a customer to buy a 1300 dollar bottle of cognac? This would cause the restaurants profits to take a nose dive and the owners would be broke even if the restaurant was serving at capacity.

The job involves a lot more than that, as I said before it's essentially a sale job and with that it requires a subset of many skills.

You have to able to naturally work up-selling into a conversation which is a lot easier said than done. You look at any professional waiting staff and it's not filled with high school dropouts, most fine dining waiters have higher education because it requires a certain level of communication skills and language usage that can only be fostered at an institution of higher education.

You have to memorize and entire menu which is unlike any menu you've ever seen, at an upscale place you aren't being sold fucking Chicken French, the meals are complex and foreign, the ingredients abundant and the flavors are subtle and you have to be able to identify all those things and sell the idea to a customer that they should spend 600 dollars on a bottle of wine to accompany that meal. It's not easy to remember a dinner menu with 30 items on it, all with 4-6 ingredients each, where you have to know who's preparing what and where we're getting our ingredients from. Try doing the same shit with an 80+ wine menu where you need to specify regions and flavors.

Also to the no tippers you don't like the alternative.

Understand that for every person that doesn't tip there is someone who tips a whole lot more than is necessary, if we had to set a wage to make up for the losses in tips that's a very high hourly rate. Since I've been waiting at my current establishment I've never had a week where I made under 1000 dollars in tips. 25 hours of work a week and I always make that and the 7.50 per hour I'm paid. That mean I'm effectively getting paid 50.5 dollars an hour(I get paid more than this as I regularly go above 1000 dollars a week and I also don't get taxed on cash tips unless I report them).

In my example above if we allow the no tipping policy to be strictly enforced than people who were gonna tip and essentially cover cheap people now pay less while the cheap people have to pay more than they ever wanted to for the meal.

At no tip restaurants It just ends up overwhelmingly benefiting the waiters, because the hourly pay increase drastically and on top of that generous customers will still probably tip anyway. As I said before high prices are going to cause customers unwilling to pay that much to stop coming and those same people are probably unlikely to tip so really for a waiter it just makes their job easier. For a restaurant owner having less business and still operating on the same tight margin causes them to make no money.

>Bbbut what if they just make it so the prices cover the operating expenses as usual, the tip differential, and increase prices so the restaurants are more profitable for the owners

No one's getting excited for a 120 dollar filet. Hell some dudes restaurant failed cause people stopped coming when he increased the price of food on his menu by a few dollars so his employees could be making something like 12 an hour, this no tipping shit will not work anywhere that isn't fucking applebees.

I tip more when I have more and tip less when I have less. Sometimes I round up the tip to match the denomination. so a bill of 13 will result in a tip of 7.

ITT: stupid americans trying to justify their shitty tipping situation

>Europe doesn't have any restaurants
>52k is impressive as a salesman

Shut the fuck up and bring my food you peasant.

>entitled to get

Nothing

I leave these as "tips" you can print up 500 on vistaprint for 10 bucks. Im going to have to make more soon.

I tip straight 15%, nothing more nothing less. And I only tip if the waiter or waitress was a good one. If they are not enthusiastic, happy, friendly, etc. they simply dont get one

A tip is a rewad, not payment

that is autistic as hell, m8

So butthurt about paying tips you actually found a way to spend money not tipping.

Dont be an ass on top of being an ass by not tipping.

Funny stuff but waiters don't read that shit. They remember your face in case they see you again, and go right on working for their tips.
Even with assholes like you around they make way more money than the average worker.

can't understand why usaians tip. it is direct subsidy to a private establishment by their clients.

Fuckin sucks being in Canada - they get a better wage than working people yet I still have to tip them AND I have to tip 15%?!?!? Even in bars?!?! goddamn

In the US a tip is more or less expected unless the service was sub-par. Consider the fact that the tips are in fact counted as part of the servers wage when you're wondering if you should tip them.