Does anyone on Veeky Forums have any experience with 2 year engineering degrees? I am interested in opinions...

Does anyone on Veeky Forums have any experience with 2 year engineering degrees? I am interested in opinions, can you do more than be an industrial maintenance person with it or are they a waste of time?

Other urls found in this thread:

ferris.edu/HTMLS/online/programs/hvacr_bs.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

waste of time.

Get a 4 year and hope pajeet doesn't get your job first

You can still do industrial maintenance which is guaranteed 50k minimum. I wanted to know about other opportunities though.

huh.
I've met a few plant mechanics and such. They do indeed make $60-$100k per year. I've never met one with a degree of any sort though. Usually just lots of welding, construction, and fabrication experience.

You don't need any degrees, you can do it with just knowing basic electronics like ladder diagrams&PLCs and having mechanical aptitude

However a 2year engineering degree actually has a lot of useful courses so I was tempted to get one

yeah I can't imagine it would hurt any to have one.

Just not sure if it would lead me to a desk job, it has a bunch of technical classes like applied statics, machine tools, PLC's, CAD, manufacturing materials and shit like that

I'm not sure. I don't think I've actually met anyone in industry with an associates degree. The people I run into tend to either have no degree or a BS. I know a couple people working on masters, but they're in supervisory positions.

well the 2 year transfers to a 4 year as well i just dont know if i want to do the calculus sequence desu.

engineering is double tough.
I couldn't make it, not many can. It's a lot of work.

Assuming you're an engineer, what is the job like? What is the day to day work? Would you say it's somehing worth studying?

well the 2yr is quicker & only requires trig so I dunno

He's not an engineer, the pajeet meme shows it

> ladder diagrams

Kek dude, if you can't program in a real PLC language like SCL most companies won't hire you if they use PLC's.
I've just done an internship at a large company where I had to research the PLC program of a welding factory.
The base structure was divided in FBD (something like ladder) but all the real logic was in SCL (Pascal based language).

You don't need a degree to learn how to program a PLC.

I'm not saying that, I'm just saying you need a little bit more than only ladder knowledge for most EE jobs that are related to PLCs.

The degree only shows what your capable of, if you have a good portfolio/experience and no degree companies will probably still hire you anyway.

In my experience pay is higher if you have more/higher degrees though.

This is what I was trying to figure out, where the opportunities are in terms of engineering technician vs engineer.

I don't know any industrial maintenance people who have a BS in engineering, or even an AAS. Most just got trained internally

The fuck? Industrial maintenance workers are tradesmen, the community college engineering tech diplomas are something different altogether. Engineering tech is a white collar job, think middle management. They do the same kind of shit as engineers, the difference is that they cant work independently because anything they do needs, by law, to be signed off on by a university-educated engineer. The position is less prestigious and arguably more dead-end, but it's still a good job and it's in demand. I'm a big fan of engineering tech desu, in our economy right now I think it's a more sensible choice than university, there's just not that much room at the top for people of our generation and too many engineering degrees are being wasted.

Basically you will be spending 8 hours a day in the office doing design work, which the university-educated engineer will have to sign off on sometime between his golf games.

2 year engineering degrees effectively do not exist. You're either an engineer, which requires a 4 year degree, or you aren't.

This CC has a partnership with a lot of plants to funnel them into maintenance. Seems like you can do the trade aspect with it, or "supposedly" do design work, but I haven't heard of anyone doing anything besides the trade with it.

No shit sherlock, it's called an "engineering technician"

Do you actually have anything worthwhile to contribute to the thread?

Avoid community colleges unless you just want fasfa or transfer after 1 year

2nd year almost never transfers

This guy is a retard

I only finished a 2yr engineering degree and I am the Director of Engineering for a large (800+ employee) company. I was an R&D Engineer for 10 years leading up to that point. I have PEs reporting to me.

Education does not make the individual...

So since you're a big shot can you give me some advice?

Are you American?

I am American.

I was raised by a family who worked hard and had little. I started working when I was 14, paid my own way for everything at that point (rent, food, transportation, etc). Never had anything handed to me. I paid my own way through college while working 40-50hrs a week.

I developed a strong work ethic and spent the majority of my free time learning on my own. While all of my co-workers and colleagues were out drinking, I was at home studying and practicing skills.

Invest in yourself. Education is a scam. You learn 99% of what you need on the job.

what do you think of this bs meme degree

ferris.edu/HTMLS/online/programs/hvacr_bs.htm

bamp