Slowly let off clutch

>slowly let off clutch
>hear grinding noises for a second and immediately push clutch in
>shifter was only half way in first gear

how many more miles until i need a new gearbox Veeky Forums?

it happens to every1 once in a blue moon. It's ok man. Just make sure it does not happen on a regular basis.

You probably just took 100 miles off the life of your transmission. so you can expect it to die at around 499900 miles instead of 500000

Never even heard of this happening. Which car is this user?

any car with a stick that you were being lazy and didnt push all the way into gear

This actually happened to me today going from first to second. The shifter knob itself started buzzing like crazy too

I know that feeling man, and I know the horrible guilt that comes with it. But as the other user said, it's not that big a deal, just learn from it and don't let it happen often and you'll be fine. Also, you did the right thing by immediately pushing the clutch in.

I've grinded every car I've ever owned. I gradually get lighter and lighter with the shifter until I'm half in a gear and clutch comes up. It's literally the WORST FUCKING SOUND going into 1st because of zero tire noise to drown it out.

Dunno if it realistically does anything to synchro/tranny life.

>pic semi related

Don't worry user i too grinded my gears when i was hooning and accelerating hard and fucked up the shifting

How does your shift get denied? Do you need a permit? Is this a European thing?

You fucked up OP. Your tranny is finished.

Disregard all the manual shills in the thread.

>Driving manual at all

Don't stress, you've only cleaned the teeth on the dog clutch. As long as it doesn't feel any more 'notchy' or is now harder to select gear it's fine. You may find a tiny bit of glitter in your next gearbox lube oil replacement but again, it's all good.

Live and learn dude.

>Do you need a permit? Is this a European thing?
Yes, in Europe you need a special license to drive a standard

No you don't. The standard license is the manual license you need a special license for driving auto only something which almost no one even offers.

>he fell for the manual transmission meme

My 86 Celica (195km) does this but in reverse, I think it's because no synchros.

you just let off the clutch out of gear and try again, then it usually goes in all the way.

also sometimes grinds from first into second when it's cold and I'm going slow

I've done this like 3 times in a single already. Always happened when from a standstil, except maybe once. I had a hard time finding my reverse too once. Nothing makes you feel like shit more than that.

>Europe needs special license and training to drive an automatic trans
Good thing I don't believe you.

*Single car

I did this 1 hour after buying my new car and driving it home. I got a letter in the mail 7 days later informing me my warranty was void now.

It's bullshit. I have heard about driving schools offering to teach automatic only, but I'm not even sure if that means you get a shittier license. Driving schools are mostly about teaching you rules and driving manners, theoretically the law doesn't give a shit if you can't control a vehicle properly.

No, it's not a special license. He means that in driving schools and in the driving exam you use manual. You need a special permit to learn in automatic and being examined in automatic. And you need to give a reason of why are you doing it. Ej: I'm retarded and can't change gears.

Synchro is likely worn, just blip the throttle before put in the gear.

>-30 for the past week
>Transmission fluid is like molasses
>Clutch takes a full second to come out because the fluid is also like molasses
>Too cold and thick to even get into gear
>Worlds slowest double clutch until everything warms up

Fuck Canada.

I said auro only you tard

*auto

I do this to every motorcycle I ride. That, and shifting from first to neutral while moving.

I have never ground gears in a car despite driving standard since I was 16.

>Momentary bitch foot syndrome

>the standard license is the dated technology license

Get with the times, yuropoors. DCT > mechanical shifter/manual clutch. As long as you can select your own gears it's awright.