/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, enter Control+Q when you're done so the game is saved for others.

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

nethackwiki.com/wiki/Slash'EM_Extended
boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/149503067/#149624591
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wow... that's a cute 1 (one) tum tummy /rlg/-chan! May I pinch it?

if your fighting, weapon, dodging, armour and stealth skill combined is less than 35 by the time you get your second rune, on any character, you're a bad player and are not allowed in this thread

but the max is 27?

Braindead Hill Orc Fighter who started playing 0.19 for the first time, how should I go about spending stats with the new STR and DEX mechanics? Slight lean to STR but some DEX so I don't miss shit all the time? Using long swords, by the way.

STR until you're a few points above the ER of the armour you want, then rest in DEX

unless you're a transmuter:
dex is mostly for EV (this is good on everyone)
str is mostly for overcoming armor penalties (this is good if you are wearing heavy armor and don't have enough str yet)

everything in Str or almost everything in Int

What's slex?

A terrible fork of nethack filled with more combos andmeant to brutally kill you with bullshit
nethackwiki.com/wiki/Slash'EM_Extended

desu I was posting about tummies in other threads, but it was the guy who was creeped out by the word "tummy" that really committed me to it. ( boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/149503067/#149624591 )

I think Usk-poster did give birth to the revolutionary "tum" technology. He is a pioneer in the field of tumtectonics.

Whatever, man. Whatever. I still hate that in-joke. I generally ignore it in hopes it finally going away, though.

This is not a joke. It is history, user. Culture. Tummies have been woven into the foundations of /rlg/ civilization.

>play a vampire enchanter of dithmenos
>find a scroll shop with 3 scrolls of acquirement on D9
>die

Can you stop shitting up the thread for 93 other people just to spite him then?

I've gotten 7 ?acq in a 5 rune. You'll start caring less about acq the more you play. Play like you don't have awesome gear and you wont make retarded tab mistakes

sometimes /rlg/ needs to release its fault frustration

memes are a vital part of the /rlg/ ecosystem

Take it easy

Either all str if you want to play a tabber or all int if you want to play a hybrid and try casting spells at some point in the future.

If only we had more memes actually relevant to what we discuss.

that guy was (and still is) correct

>start a hill orc fighter
>d1
>level 1
>encounter a kobold with a runed dagger
>kobold hits me
>you are cast into the abyss!

Well fuck you too game.

Guys if we start mass-reporting tum-posters, mods might start removing them. It's worth a try. Do your part in ridding /rlg/ of cancer, remember to report all "Tum" shitposting.

You are the cancer here. Enjoy your ban

no u

>"Vampires are undead opponents who focus on nefarious, backhanded attacks to defeat their enemies. They are uncommonly found in the middle floors of the Dungeon"
>"They aren't very difficult, considering where you meet them"

>die to a Vampire that invisibly walked behind me and followed me upstairs
>in D:5

*sigh*. A true OOD encounter and bullshit death since he long-ranged confused me, and his "42% Confuse" spell hit me every fucking time. Wasted like 5 curing potions, 5 heal wound potions, a couple of haste potions. I've yet to die to an early Sigmund (even D:2), but this is just bullcrap.

I guess that's what I get for not believing in Based Trog and thinking TSO would be any use...

I'm not going to get banned, I broke no rules. It's only illegal to tell about specific reports, I'm just talking in general. And tum-posting is against the rules. Stay on topic.

>Kill Mordred, sir gawain, and kharis
>Kharis made chaos tiles at some point
>Have to stairdance cause of berserker tard strength can't last forever
>Finally get the place cleared up
>Loot is virtually all gone from monster pickup
>Constantly get rooms of shit summoned on me
>Tiles wont come into the corridors
>Always tele away when I get adjacent
>Launchers cap at unskilled and can't use devices
>Earthquake would destroy my loot
T-Thanks.... ;_;

>[Angry zombie berserker moaning intensifies in the distance]

Qazlal seems interesting god who can make crawl fun

How to fully maximize Qazlal?
Clouds won't spawn in a square if >3 adjacent tiles are a wall. This seems to nix kill tunnels.

Being a homosexual is against the rules of Veeky Forums. Please go and stay go

Ahahaha. I'm so happy Jurt gave me a trump club

Started playing my first Draconian. Evolved into a Mottled Drac.

The sticky flame breath is pretty awesome so far. Ranged version of a decent spell that also does a small AoE. But I was wondering if I can do anything to increase its power? Does it work off my Fire Magic skill?

It's been here for like less than a year.

Dragon breath attacks increase as you level

Mottled Drac has one of the best breath attacks for sure, it can do a ton of work at times.

Are there any roguelikes that can be played in a terminal and aren't ruthlessly unfair?

When it's not trying to be insanely edgy with 'feminine traps', the 'crossdresser' role and 'fart elementals', it's flooding the game with thousands of monsters, or letting you play as dozens of completely broken races and classes most of which probably have never been played by anyone ever? and killing you with completely arbitrary shit like invisible shopkeepers

Nethack 4 is genuinely not ruthlessly unfair. Start as a barbarian (poison resistance) and there's nothing particularly unfair at all (stuff like wands of cancellation destroying bags of holding and accidentally walking onto water or lava have all been patched out).

Forgot to mention that I know about doomrl and I love it.

I haven't played nethack in maybe 15 years, but back then it most certainly was ruthlessly unfair. I had actually put it in my "FUCK YOU NEVER AGAIN" pile of roguelikes. I guess I can check it out again if someone can confirm I'm not being trolled.

chaos tiles breed explosively, user

you will never clean that level

nethack is very difficult to beat if you don't use spoilers but is one of the easiest roguelikes for someone who already knows most of the important info

>Just have to do 1hp to shelob
You get to live

Again things could be different these days, but that's not a fair description of nethack as I knew it. It used to be full of ~lol so random XD~ shit. "yet another stupid death" was code for "got buttfucked by the rng again".

I used to know a lot of spoilers (even just said fuck it and read a bunch at one point) and it was still unplayably hard.

what's the deal with these anyways
is it better or worse than reforging?
should I dump it on my 8d4 scythe of slicing right now, or save it for a potential diamond edge later?
I also have a falcon sword with +1.5 blows but its dice are low enough that it seems not-amazing for non-tonberries

whoops forgot image

seriously i thought the metal babble would be a lot harder
just took a needle, a single ?forestcreation, and 2-3 zaps of _healing

That explains that. Do I dare to dream? I do about 700 dmg/round

did you know trog's hand gives you tons of mr? really wears out your two neurons...

using randomtele to follow uniques that are running away with teleport feels so good

generally dragon pits are great sources of loot and xp if you dig an anti summoning/los corridor zigzag to pull them into (and have relevant resists)

dig your tunnel and go for it, enjoy agonizing over what loot to take home and what gets left on the floor

>troglodites in charge of reading comprehension

Happening confirmed

Usually it sits in my house and I never use it. Dragon gear with a bunch of resists in a slot that does have much competition (like cloak or gloves) is my main use, I guess.

But weapons seem unlikely to be amazing outside the diamond edge / mace of disruption type rare items. I mean, is a scythe of slicing even better than the blades of chaos you can get everywhere off those demons? Not sure which dice-y bits factor into brand multipliers.

>seriously i thought the metal babble would be a lot harder
Try the one in the telmora arena if you'd like to see how the babble fight goes if you can't cheese it.

Is it just me or does Robe of Night seems like a noobtrap for early game non-stabber characters?

actually i'm not sure that the scythe IS better than a BoC. 8d4 vs 6d5, and it doesn't come with baked-in rChaos

i just don't know whether it's better to use the scroll or to reforge with one of my 75k-ish artifacts

crawl LOS is reciprocal. if you can't see monsters they can't see you. so reducing your sight range is a mostly positive effect unless your primary offense has 8-tile range

tryin' to curse his own damn sword
what a fool

I know that but you also can't see monsters approaching 2 tiles lesser than normal. It's not like they're indifferent to noise. That means for example if you're a caster of any kind in Snake/Swamp/Spider where group mobs frequent, it'll be too late to back off when you thought there was only a couple of freexps to kill regardless of stealh than when you're not wearing it.

this sounds like the thing that is only an issue if you play in the SUBOPTIMAL way of actually fighting monsters where you encounter them instead of luring them backwards first

especially in snake where you can mostly just walk away from shit for free

nice

>mfw using Apocalypse for the first time

Hot damn, and I thought Disaster Area was crazy.

>not playing with Easy id OR Easy lore on

user. Don't do this to yourself.

Disaster Area is only good because it's spammable. The superior version is Ru's.

>Not building your pokedex
Did something weird and accidentally overwrote my talf-titan mauler's work. how's easyid work? I don't want artifacts dropping under me, getting id'd then being lost forever cause shit gets fucked

I was raised to eat every single popcorn the moment I see them

How good is the ancestor stand god and the dancing god? I'm pretty clueless as to what actually makes things "good" in DCSS, I mostly enjoy things for flavor.

Hepatitis is a fun and effective god. Usk is a free 5 rune on invo races

If you want a really novel experience, look up the dates and find a version before hep battlemag's cast rates were nerfed. Play a VpEn/AM. Pelt disabled foes into dust with the power of bromance

in pseudoellipapadopoulosochengband, easy ID makes it so that items before level 25 need to be identified (not *identified*) to learn what they do, but they still have tags like "excellent" or "good" no matter what. After level 25, everything that drops is automatically ID'd as if you were carrying a Stone of Lore.

Yuck.

Get out, Pence-man.

this is literally false

allow me to present my argument:
1) OP is always a faggot
2) OP does not always get banned
Q.E.D.

holy this has been my favorite run ever
>poison breath attack to confuse mobs into my danger clouds
>fighting entire levels at once
>my first DISASTER AREA

What wands are any good for a tabataur?

easy_id
* makes pseudo-id instant so you know if an item is 'excellent' immediately instead of having to carry it around for a bit. this also happens at xl35 with easy_id off
* makes normal sources of identify work as *identify*. so instead of "this is a sword of slaying {?}" and needing to pay 1k extra to see what it actually slays you get full info immediately
* at xl25+, auto-identifies shit for you as if you had the stone of lore. this only ids stuff in your inventory or on the square beneath you

the wands that were removed

also dig/disint because killholes still exist

Why were the good wands removed anyway? Does that mean if every single complainant against the good wands were given (9) /tele, (9) /HW and (9) /hasting by turn 0, they would automatically ascend every single game?

what?

are you saying it shouldn't be allowed to remove something unless it can be abused to get 100% winrate?

The definition of overpowered features are like that. So I'm asking if the complainants are capable of it or else they would have zero right to complain.

so you are saying that a feature is overpowered IF and ONLY IF it leads to a 100% winrate
confirm/deny

What can I expect?

Lot of flying weapons which you saw before the doors, maybe a blademaster or some other unique end game elf
Check wiki for halls of blades for more info

It doesn't have to be winrate and it certainly doesn't matter even if it isn't a roguelike. Overpowered features are meant to trivialize almost every single hostile in a game like the ones in games commonly found in New Game+ as a sort of a reward for the player for completing it. It could even be a scummable feature that could be found at the earliest stages of a game that'll trivialize 80-90% of the future hostiles found in the said RPG.

Since we're merely talking about Crawl, one of the easiest roguelikes as people call it, it should be safe to assume that getting these allegedly overpowered features at turn 0 would allow the complainants to ascend every single (100%) attempt for a 3 rune game. If they cannot prove it, then their complaints are void.

so you are saying that, *in crawl specifically*, anything that does not lead to a 100% winrate is not overpowered

Yes. You seem to have more overpowered features in mind; are these gargoyles, minotaurs or deep dwarves perhaps? You are welcome to try doing a liveplay of an unbreakable 3 digit streak in the offline client using any of these races while wizmoding the 3 removed wands anytime.

getting 15+ evo on a tabtaur is a good idea and the hex wands are good at that point

I'm on D:14 with lair and orc clear. Where do I go next? I have snake and shoals

people have come close enough with tougher picks, isn't the leading streak around 50?

i dont even play crawl user
i'm just asking about your interpretation of what "overpowered" means

if at the start of the game, it asked you to choose between an orange gem and a green gem, and each gave some minor but permanent stat buff when selected... would you consider it imbalanced if choosing the orange gem led to a 10% higher winrate?

different user: i wouldn't have a problem with that, but i would have a problem with the following:
a. game is designed around orange gem, which gives a 70%+ winrate, and green gem isn't explicitly a challenge gem (it is just accidentally bad)
b. extremely OP items sometimes drop earlygame, which largely determine if you can win or not

i guess near-max CHR and 2x rFear isn't really enough to deal with some of these level 90+ guys

having 18 blows per round to trigger that aura of fear probably doesn't help either. Maybe i need some !berserk...

>almost 1200 HP at lvl 29

Have zombies gone too far?

>b. extremely OP items sometimes drop earlygame, which largely determine if you can win or not

this doesn't, didn't and has yet to exist in Crawl

i think somebody didn't think through the game's default alignment settings

with virtues off ents are always (?) friendly to the player

yeah immunity to fear is really nice when you can swing it

also rogue classed characters get a level-based reduction to fear recovery time, which is cute

yeah, unless you play with the option that turns off friendly monsters

demeter dying to her own ent summons is a classic

About time I finally get some offense as a Mindcrafter.

is that the one that inflicts stun?