I am a 23 old 'man' who knows absolutely nothing about cars and have spent my entire youth on video games...

I am a 23 old 'man' who knows absolutely nothing about cars and have spent my entire youth on video games. I don't even have any money.. how do I learn about the basics of a car Veeky Forums?

buy a piece of shit
every time something goes wrong fix it yourself
you'll learn

get a job.
buy a car
read the owners manual
start working on it

its simple really.

I believe in you user

I have a shitty job and drive a Mazda Demio automatic. But every time my girlfriend says she finds sick cars attractive a piece of me dies inside because I know nothing about cars

^^this

Best place to learn is YouTube! Being passionate about this stuff makes you learn even faster.

I went from being 21 years old to knowing less than a highschool girl about cars to being able to fix just about anything now and I'm 26

Google: basics of a car
There's your first step

>I have a shitty job
so what, plenty of people on this board have shitty jobs and still find time to work on their shitbox.

>every time my girlfriend says she finds sick cars attractive a piece of me dies inside because I know nothing about cars

stop being insecure about it, I mean do you actually like cars or are you just trying to impress your girlfriend?

If you truly do like the idea of fucking around with cars and want to learn more, then fucking do it. Nothing is stopping you from working on your Mazda Shittio.

Start with easy stuff like changing the oil and shit.

You have the entire internet at your fingertips, fucking use it.

Youtube has plenty of tutorials to help you out with almost anything. If not youtube then actual forums.

by wrenching and fucking shit up, sooner or later you'll learn.

You're too old. Just give up and do something else.

This, desu. If you haven't done an engine swap by age 8 it's all over.

You're telling me senpai. I bought my corvette and I want to learn shit finally, but all I keep getting is very old fags circle jerking all over the internet.

BEGINNER WORRIES

The skinny pedal is go, the fat pedal is stop.

Hnnng dat raifu

Im also 23 and im just about to take my driving test in a couple weeks

Im planning to get a cheap mazda 3 afterwards. Maybe even a mazda speed 6 if i can find a rust-free one here in salt canada

Your girl knows nothing about cars. No one that refers to cars as sick knows shit.

>But every time my girlfriend says she finds sick cars attractive a piece of me dies inside because I know nothing about cars
If she's wife/long term material, maybe you should do car stuff with her.
>not buying a shitbox beater and autocrossing/rallying the fuck out of it

Well if you love it you will learn it quickly.

Dont do it without love. Its an expensive hobby.

read and learn basic theory on how shit works. i found it incredibly easy to learn about and wrench on cars when its on a vehicle u enjoy. as other anons said, use the internet, next time something breaks on ur shitbox make an attempt to fix it urself
also
>lurk more

Unfortunately this is exactly how I learned to wrench and let me tell you it's fucking miserable and frustrating as hell to do it like this. Take your time and pay attention to details otherwise you're going to end up like me and spend $700 on tools you didn't need that only made the situation worse

>be me
>dont know shit about anything
>see some guy in a youtube vid use impact driver
>think its awesome and a low effort way to undo bolts/nuts/screws in my car
>buy one for like $240
>$40 in attachments too
>find a nice 12mm nut to try it on
>no one told me that i shouldn't apply 400 lb/ft of torque to a 12mm
>instantly shreds the nut into a perfect circle
>dont know how the fuck to get this out now
>buy $120 dremel kit
>cut it in half and try to pry it out like that
>no luck
>shave off the edges to hopefully get a grip with one of my sockets
>no luck, go buy grippy sockets for stripped nuts
>still no luck
>go buy a torch to heat it up hopefully to loosen it
>no luck
>buy PB Blaster
>still no luck

Not even making this up

been there to some extent. but ironically fucking up is also one of the best ways to learn

>impact driver
>$240
>400lb/ft

I don't think so. And they're not even designed for taking out regular nuts and bolts. And if you're talking about an impact wrench, you used the wrong size socket. The torque really doesn't matter if it's a tiny nut that you're taking off, it would've just come off really fast.

Forgot picture of impact driver.

Oh my god.
Have you considered buying a $10 drill bit and drilling it out?

So OP, don't buy powerful tools without at least having some idea of how to use them, and then just throw money at the problem when you fuck up.