Why does history focus strictly on Athens and Sparta?

It seems to me that whenever we learn about Ancient Greece in our schooling institutions, the teachers only talk about Sparta and Greece.

Why is that? Why can't we talk about the other citystates? Were they not that important to history on a global level? Did they not contribute to society as much as Athens and Sparta did?

I'm just, genuinely curious as to why the lot of them aren't talked about.

Epirus is the best

There was more known about them, They had writing, a more developed society and stuff. A lot of what we know about other ancient people.Even those around before the Greeks often come from Greek sources.

Sparta is only famous for that shitty Sparta meme. If it wasn't for shit Sparta meme nobody would remember Sparta.

*was the best

>there was more known about them
Surely the other citystates should've been extensively written about then as they were the immediate neighbors of Athens and Sparta.

Why is Sparta known as a meme?

Tell me about Corinth Veeky Forums
I looked up my surname and supposedly it's derived from Lucius Mummius,
>Roman statesman and general who crushed the uprising of the Achaean Confederacy against Roman rule in Greece and destroyed the ancient city of Corinth.
Was anything of value lost?

thebes were faggots and macedonians werent really greek just greekenized northerners
and the illyians were a very ancient people of kangz n shieeet and the minoans got wiped by a volcano eruption

then phyrus lost to rome and it was mostly sedentary for the large part minus the planned city of byzantium being a beacon or lightpost to the western world before getting mudslimed islamic DICK stuck into them for 500-1000 years which sort of tained everything. also before macedon most of anatolia was greek or greek tributory states all the way up to the caspian and between the black seas.

minoa thera erupted around 1600bc wiped entire civ
phyrus lost in 200bc or something and greece became subjugated

what else? oh after ottoman fall they beat italy in wwii

i mean they were literally faggots they'd pair up in battle like husbandos u look after ur guy he looks after u u fight in pairs watch and wash one anothers back (and suck each others dicks and penetrate their prostates) between battles

its where the boy lovers thing came from, institutionalised queerness, rather then just some fringe fucking some nubite boi puc

Yes, Corinthians were very fond of luxury. Sources say that the Roman Soldiers would take beautiful Greek paintings imported from all over the Hellenistic World and tore them up and played checkers on their back.

Take this with a grain of salt, though, I read it in a book and I don't have a valid source.

Thebes wrecked Sparta several times with their homo soldiers

The good guys lost

>implying Persia was ever the good guy

Empires are never good things.

Back to crash course world history with you

Because for the majority of pre-Alexander Greece, Athens and Sparta were the two big greek boys in the two big Greek Wars.

They sorta became a but irrelevant in later periods though, but not many people care about said periods.

I used to think Ancient Messini was cool as fuck and then I just realised it was an Athens funded proxy-state meant to keep Sparta at bay, kinda like South-Korea. It's still really beautiful, I whole-heartedely suggest people visit it.

Forgot my pic

300 and uber elite soldiers.

Shame really,Spartan society was cool and the reign of Agesilaus was a wild ride. Theban fucking shits.

>tfw the faggot soldiers of thebes are better than "brave" meme spartans

Kek, it's almost ironic that a bunch of faggots were able to defeat manly men.

Makes for a better read and can be connected to modern western society more easily than Mesopotamia and Egypt. Although a proper textbook education will cover those.

Those faggots were manly too. Homosexuals being effeminate is actually a very recent meme.

>Empires are never good things
Yeah cause having a clusterfuck of a geopolitical landscape with as many states and polities as there are trees in the nearest forest perpetually at odds, with their own politics, economy and armies is a good thing.

Macedonia and Thessaly are best.

We wuz Greekz and shit

I think he is talking about the pelloponnesian war.
In which persia sides with Sparta.

When all of the states are small enough you can get a good MAD sort of situation which means that there could be peace instead of war. Also decentralization is better for almost everything else in society, since what may be good for people living in Epirus would not be as good for someone living in Sparta

Athens and the Spartan Peloponnesian league have been known as the most vital keystones in ancient Greek history, which is all that really is focused on in your typical high school history books.

A lot of Uni courses specialize in classical greek history, culture, and society and that's the place to get to know more outside of researching on your own.

but there are states that get their own time in the history books. The Trojan War and the city was troy was at least talked about in my history classes, and Macedon gets late mention for Phillip II and Alexander's conquests, even if they weren't considered Greeks by the Athenians and other such cities.

Don't you be posting shit about my man Pericles mother fucker

Fuck you Thebes was the best city state. Coolest mythological foundations, plus special forces fags who beat the shit out of shotacon spartans.

>even if they weren't considered Greeks by the Athenians and other such cities

Why is that exactly?

Because everywhere else in Greece was completely irrelevant?

>hellenized

Corinth was a very powerful merchant city, thanks to its location. They were quite a powerful polis and had a feud with Athens, which is why they usually allied with Sparta.
The symbol of the city was the pegasus, it has something to do with the legend of Corinth's founding but I forgot the specifics.
After the glory days of Greece had long passed and Greece was under Roman influence, Corinth used their trade money to start a rebellion whivh got stomped by the Romans. In retaliation they burnt Corinth to the ground.

>nothing happened in Anatolia

Pretty much all of the narrative written primary sources from the period are either about or were written in Athens or Sparta.

They drank unmixed wine, had a straight up monarchy instead of the traditional oligarchy/tyranny/democracy cycle, were for much of their history pretty much mountain goat fuckers that were seen as little different from the Thracians and Triballi, they had very different customs and only in the 4th century began to aggressively hellenize.

>phyrus lost to rome
A phyrric victory is still a victory