/civ4xg/ - Civilization, Stellaris, Endless and 4X Games General

Seasons Greetings edition

>Civilization Resources
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) - well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums - - - - civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games - - - - - - - - - - - - - - civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 - - - - - play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) - dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter - - - - - - - - - - - - - georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding - modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop - steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods - - - - - - -- forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods - - - - - - - - pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>Stellaris Resources
- Steam group - - - - - - - - steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris
- Mod archive - - - - - - - -- mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations - pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual - - - - - - cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 -- - - - - - endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 -- - - - - - endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements - pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories - - - - mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Last thread:

First for FIRAXIS RELEASE YOUR FUCKING MODDING KITS OR SID DIES

second

>tfw no Spore-type 4x / gsg hybrid where the fundamental rules of the game change over time
>tfw you will never be a Homo Habilis scavenging kills from tigers and lions
>tfw you will never be a Homo Erectus hurling spears at bears
>tfw you will never be comfy af in a tribal village circa 8000 AD

Well, strictly speaking, there's the last Far Cry.

No

>tfw no Spore-type 4x / gsg hybrid where the fundamental rules of the game change over time
But user
Spore exists
:^)))))))))))
also where the fuck is everyone?

It's 3 am EST so all the Americans are asleep.
Also, when do Shakturi return in Distant Worlds?

>9:30 AM
They're all sleeping, I guess.

I´m here, just busy watching Dirty Harry

But Spore is about going to space.

Hi.

>(Dead)
>Hi.
>quoting before it appears
No.

Who the fuck thought that it was acceptable or okay to """""""""patch""""""""""" CoH to run online in order to play fucking Skirmish mode?

Tried Joint Task Force.
It's pretty special so far.

>engineering game general
What a waste.

You would hate Planetary Annihilation.

>engineering game general

this is new to me

Is continents setting in civ6 map generator still as shit as it was?

i.e. producing landmasses that go all the way from one pole to the other.

Ha fuck the steam version
It doesnt even accept my cd key
I´m still playing the "old" version a fucking crack to run it
Did the steamworks integration patch even change anything balance wise or just because >muh mp?

You're not trying to steal a 10 year old RTS, are you goyim?

how come population growth on my planets is different across species when neither of them have slow or quick breeder traits?

on one planet, one species is literally growing twice as fast as the other
on another planet one species is growing at like 0.1 a turn

i cant figure out why

Trying to pirate a 10 years old RTS is like mugging a grandma. You should be ashamed of yourself.

What games are you guys getting on the winter sale?
I'm getting
>Civ V complete
>Age Of Wonders III complete
>Endless Space complete

I got Stars in Shadow, anoyyed they havet implemented the snake cloaking device yet

Name?

8 Bit Invasion.

>buy the new Master of Orion DLC
>it has an invading force called the Atarans that always attacks the player with the most points
>that's me because there's no reasons to not build ships and intimidate your neighbours
>the more you fight off the Antarans (on the left) the stronger they get
>they're snowballing out of control

Who thought this was a good game mechanic?

B-but muh challenge.

I genuinely don't understand how you're supposed to do a domination victory with Antarans on. If you leave your home systems, they'll show up and glass them.

So just like AI war?

AI War is based on cooperation against the AI. Not competition.
A mechanism that punishes you for being good is not a good mechanism.

AI War but you're also trying to win a 4x game.

So just like AI war?

>"I can't read"

>"AI war but you are also trying to win a 4x game"
What the flying fuck should that mean?

Is AI war good?

By exploiting their extremely predictable behavior. They always attack you in a system that A) Belongs to you B) has your strongest fleet present. You can colonize dummy planets and park your fleet in orbit there and they'll attack it every time. If that feels too gamey for you then as soon as you detect their ships incoming drop everything on that planet and build civilian transports, they only use biological weapons so your structures will be fine so long as you can resettle your pops there.

Like many things in that game the idea is solid but the execution needs fixing.

Yes, SP is good MP with friends is better.

It's pretty weird. Not exactly a RTS, not exactly a 4X.

Never tried multiplayer. It never worked.

>MP with friends is better

So I can just settle some volcano planet, plop my fleet there, then warp gate somewhere else when the Atarans show up?

Is there a way to mass product transports? I've noticed that production options for 5x fleets seems to be gone.

They're still there. You don't even need to warp gate, they only ever go to the planet they targeted bomb it once and then leave. I honestly prefer fighting them still though.

What load outs do your ships have?

Good to see I'm a dumbass that doesn't notice simple things like that. So if I just sat my ships at the border of the system the Atarans wouldn't even go after them?

I had Orion weapons with whatever the default loadout is for Terrans. Which I'm pretty sure just gives all my ships lasers because Terrans.

That UI makes me moist.

Yeah if you sit your ships at the edge of the system they'll get ignored.

Orion weapons are actually kinda shit, they're designed as something a military focused faction can get easily to make up for tech gaps that would make shit like psilons untouchable, top tier beams and missiles in the tech tree are actually stronger slightly. The guardian is actually pretty weak because of it since it's designed to be killed with mid game tech.

Also ditch default loadouts they're pretty crap, early game you want to be shitloads of MIRV missiles and late game spam the shit out of gauss cannons, that shield bypass is disgusting, mod based on your preferences I personally prefer heavy mounts but I've read some people like going autofire. Consider making a frigate dedicated to bombs and having like 5 of them follow your main fleet since bombs take up a lot of space that you could use for squeezing an extra combat edge out. Dauntless missiles system is mandatory for missiles once you have it if you hadn't already realised.

Antarens are pretty easy to fight if you have a good fleet and defense stations on your planet honestly, they have quite a bit of ship space allocated towards bombs and like to spam relatively squishy frigates and destroyers with minimal cap ship support which tends to die in the blink of an eye to defense stations.

Picked up stellaris,anyone got any fun stellaris stories?

I have one.
>installed Stellaris
>added a nep waifu mod
>started playing
>Purple Heart died very early
>replaced by Compa who assumed the CPU mantle and the appearance
>
That was my story

Early exploration is fun. The end game crisis are fun if they don't break themselves. The war in heaven is fun too but again the ai is incapable of waging war in a challenging way.

I spread love throughout the galaxy

Is there a way to make defense stations less fragile? They seem like glorified missile sponges past mid-game.

I will have to tinker with loadouts next time I play the game. Never really bothered but if early missiles are good I'll figure something out. Are guass really better than late-game beams for a specialized race like Terrans?

even the mighty begged for my love and protection

>start Stellaris
>realize most of the portraits look like ass, whether from an attractiveness point of view or from an alien point of view and the portraits look boring anyway
>ALT-F4
>spend half a week flipping through my pictures folder (60,000 pictures) looking for nicer looking pictures to replace the aliens with monster girls and shit
>play as generic anime waifus
>realize I lack tentacle monsters
>ALT-F4
>fiddle around with FEs making them exclusively certain species
>replace them with tentacle monsters and pig-orcs
>play the game
>watch as qt monstergirls and waifus get conquered by pig orcs
>expand through the galaxy but get frustrated because I can't (to my knowledge?) rename stars and planets that I don't colonize
>get mad at the influence mechanic because it's dumb as fuck
>forge ahead regardless
>name every mission I send out but realize that I should be playing Aurora for that shit
>go to war but realize the combat is honestly kind of shitty and doesn't even lend itself to storytelling well even compared to disgustingly shallow shit like HoI4 or EU4 combat let alone HoI III, DH, WitP or CK2 combat
>oh well forge ahead regardless
>start managing muh pops but realize that V2 does this better
>start building shit but realize literally any other 4x game with buildings does this better
>endgame threat occurs but gets shitstomped by pig orcs
>have a few cool event chains while exploring but I feel like I've seen all of them before
>realize that even the pig orcs aren't a real threat to me or else completely shitstomp me as an RNG thing
>realize I'd probably be better off playing CK2
>ALT-F4 because pretty much everything Stellaris has to offer, other games offer better versions of
That's the sad story of my experience with stellaris.

>Being a challengefag

I thought we were over this

It's not even him being a challengefag. I hate challengefags but the AI in Stellaris is just unforgiveably bad and it's really glaring with FEs. It's either a shitstomp in favor of the FE or a shitstomp in favor of you, or the rare occurance where it's you gaming the WS system but sieging their planets with tiny little stacks they can't catch

>be relaxing in my empire just researching and chill
>suddenly fanatical purifiers declare war on me
>defend myself and my galaxy by wiping them out
>somehow I'M the bad guy

Kadhafi, please...

>monster girls

>inferior
THEY KNOW THEIR PLACE

I suddenly feel like being a xenophile.

guarantee independence to a new met faction
get pulled into a senseless war
Me any my vassal vs 2 superior Empires.

Send In my fleet while they are wrecking the faction I support in their struggle for indpendence.
Destroy some stations~ followed by me losing my entire fleet.
Fast forward I start a long and worn out defensive war
They send fleet after fleet I somehow manage to hold them back.
The small realm I fought for signs a peace treaty.

Suddenly I have this big navy
Now that I defended their independence ...they are only free because I felt like it.
If they can´t protect themselves I might as well make them part of my commonwealth.

>starts playing
>somehow, get decently big
>there's that small neighbour, literally one planet
>constantly talk smack to me
>finally get tired of his shit
>declares a war against him
>rek his ass so badly I can't post it on a blue board
>see options "liberate planet"
>muh Che Guevara
>"liberate" their planet
>now they love me
I like that mechanism.

Yeah gauss are better, the game is slightly misleading on that front as basically everything that isn't a missile or bomb is actually a beam, even mass drivers and gauss cannons.

>>rek his ass so badly I can't post it on a blue board

good one user

>Interbreeding

Haha. Yes

Liberate them.

>gauss cannons are beams

Guess that solves my dilemma. Thanks for the tips.

Is Norway playable yet

>Unbidden invade
>Shit bricks since it's my first playthrough and I heard how the unbidden can absolutely wreck everything
>Their portal spawns in one of the systems my doomstack was about to arrive in anyway since it's on the border of my empire and the empire I'm at war with
>Obliterate them instantly since they didn't have time to spawn enough fleets to stop my doomstack

>Ended up losing the game a few decades later anyway against a large Federation because the rest of the galaxy joined up against me since I was playing as Fanatical Purifiers.

And then you get a shitty +10 opinion bonus. Woop dee doo. That reward needs a buff imo.

Congratulations, you saved the world.

Wow Diplomacy sure is fun, this is worse than in Rome Total War, fucking Swedes man.

>worse diplomacy than rome
Nothing will ever be that bad.

>hey senpai u wanna be allies
>okay
>AI eventually backstabs you at one point whereas others are ready for trade

>Stellaris
>hey senpai wanna tr..
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT RIVALRY DEFENCE PACT WITH ALL YOUR NEIGHBOURS GET OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT FEDERATION

>please do not attack
>accept or we attack
No

Honestly not that hard.
Take charismatic ~ avoid purges.
Rival the right people....I wouldn´t say it is good. But it certainly isn´t hard.

>looks like a dick
>is surprised everyone hates him

Oh and lets not forget the time honored bug that caused having an alliance with someone to actually LOWER your diplomatic standing with that faction.

I am fond of pigs.

>Diplomacy
>Total War
>Total
>War

what happens if i get caught playing tibet in HOI3 while in China?

Thats a reasonable proposal i dont see the problem?

But I want to Purge, how else can I be a pure Empire?

That isnt me lmao, im a blue Humanoid.

> be a normiefag
> played Europa Universalis 1/2 during the school years.
> Some Civ 2/3 Too.
> But that's it. No experience with new fancy complex 4x/GS.
> Played RISK with anons last night
> Glorious victory throw scheming and cold calculation
> Yass
> STEAM winter sale
> All these glorious games (EU4, HOI3, Endless Legend, Stellaris)
> Can buy only one.
> Endless legend is looking sexy af
> But Stellaris/EU4 are far more familiar
> Both games cost x2-x3 more than EL

What do

that is a weird shaped dick

Pirate them until you find one that you like, and then, buy them. Save your money.

>throw

I like Stellaris...but honestly wait for it to be more complete. On top of that you would need a couple of DLCs for EUIV.

Pick up Endless Legend. If you like it get some of the dlc~ if not refund.

>>AI eventually backstabs you
>eventually
If by that you mean two turns later then yeah.

>Play Stellaris
>Have migration with friendly bird people next door (both races xenophilic)
>they keep flooding their pops into my planets, its great because even though they share the same hydrosphere they prioritize my 60% worlds because different sub-climate
>new planets up and running very quickly, bird people are great researchers
>Suddenly they start mobbing this awesome gaia world i unpacked from an event and no humans move there
>lock out the bird people because want my guys to at least be 50% even though they're really god dang helpful and friendly

I... have I become a nativist?

Also why does it say humans are nomadic if they havent ever moved in my game? do i have to make them unemployed on purpose first?

Use Land of Opportunity to greatly increase the migration rate.
Unhappy and/or unemployed pops are more likely to migrate too.

Happy pops are less likely to migrate and the AI manages its planets like shit resulting in a massive immigration swarm to the player most of the time I've found.

Simple,

Get Endless Legend with all the expansions.
You'll not regret it.

Wait with Stellaris until they have added more features like espionage, better diplomacy and hopefully a better way to do the warscore.

oh okay i guess doing a pushpull thing with edicts and select unemployment would be the thing to do

i guess that makes sense
i observed through the console and every dang planet of theirs has one bird person leaving at the same time and they've not even fully occupied their worlds

they're not even in a war or are nomadic damn

What's the optimal build for ships with the latest patch? I've noticed that cruisers decide to charge straight into battle thinking they're Battlestars despite having long-range weapons, and get completely rekt.

I've tried making my cruisers only have missiles in the M/L slots and railguns in the S slots but they keep charging forward instead of sitting back and lobbing in missiles.

That thing makes me moist. Is it a movie or a serie?

I think the reason is that every ship is trying to get into a range that makes them able to use all of their weapons.

Not sure if you can set a specific stance or range. That would be neat.

Like in EVE where you set the orbit range around the target. Would be easier to kite and fire missiles.