So I'm going to be buying a 1973 Mercedes 280 for $400!!!!!

So I'm going to be buying a 1973 Mercedes 280 for $400!!!!!

It has a 2.8 liter duel cam inline 6 making 158 hp mated to an automatic transmission

I'm buying it from a friend who's owned it for almost 3 years which has just sat...

the car doesnt start. will it be a pain in the ass to work on? anyone own one before? I heard the 4A1 Solex carb is a pain in the ass to get running right.

pic is what I'm buying :)

pls respond

Are you having to deal with rust and if so how much of a bitch is it?

oh yeah I forgot to mention its quite rust free underneath. I would say very good! but there is some small bubbling and """""""""""""""surface rust""""""""

really not that bad at all :)

theres nothing more expensive than a cheap mercedes

eh its in pretty decent shape. and It's only $400 what could go wrong?

Prepare your butt to replace EVERYTHING, seriously E V E R TH I N G made of rubber.

Especially replacing vacuumlines is a nightmare.

this.

op, you don't know what you got yourself into and I'm not memeing here.

vacuum lines dont scare me :)

I am on a budget tho and don't want to be putting thousands of dollars into this thing. I do all my own work.
*spoiler - I've never touched a carburetor in my life

A $2-3k valve adjustment or a full engine rebuild.

>I am on a budget tho
>don't want to be putting thousands of dollars into this thing. >I do all my own work.

>*spoiler - I've never touched a carburetor in my life

ok, this will end well

>it's that kind of dude again

It's true, many only learn the hard way

I don't see why I cant just get it running and drive it. Its a mercedes! bulletproof drivetrain!

lol ok I'm out. embarrassing I was still doubting it's shitposting

It's gonna be pricey. Good luck.
t.350slanon

hurr durrrrrr its an old mercedes so its shit! Thanks for the advice scotty

That's a fedora mobile OP

A Silvia is more fedora-tier than any Merc tbqh senpai

Kansha desu

>Vacuum lines don't scare me
Welcome to the fucking show bud

You are about to be murdered and you're enthusiastic about it. Please, do yourself a favor and walk away.

but murdered how dawg?

op is a faggot, i cant stand how he's typing his responses

with that out of the way, it will have electrical issues, every mechanical issue you could imagine, the bushes will be fucked, the suspension and steering will be fucked, the tyres need replacing, the gearbox will blow up, the engine will not make 158 hp, the vacuum maze will fuck you up, sourcing 40 year old euro parts will be a nightmare, the seals will be fucked, the interior will stink and the underbody will be rusted

The cheaper the entry price of the car the more money down the line you will end up spending.You will inevitably spend thousands and unless its something you really love, its not going to be worth it. You could buy the same merc in nice driving condition from the start for the same price

Everyone on Veeky Forums gets excited about buying old but it always turns into a nightmare, a good example is the AW11, most of them are just thrashed rusty POS. 90% of Veeky Forums AW11 owners have blown head gaskets/rust/bearing and electrical issues. Unless you have the time and money to pour into restoring the car and running it properly, then go ahead. But if you don't, then please don't and save your money.

uhmm rood?

>the bushes will be fucked
implying my car has bushes

>the suspension and steering will be fucked
the car is super clean underneath so that should be fine

>the tyres need replacing
It's spelled tires you europoor faggot

>the gearbox will blow up
not if I change the fluid!!

>the engine will not make 158 hp
Thats like your opinion

>the vacuum maze will fuck you up
It's kinda like replacing spark plug wires, remove one at a time and replace.

l2wrench fgt

It's worth more than $400 in parts.
Don't listen to the children on this board.
It's a good deal.

>will not make 158 hp
>yes it will
no it wont, 40 years of wear doesn't keep an engine powerful. Anyway, that figure is gross power with no accessories attached and measued at the flywheel. It will then go through a parasitic transmission loss due to the torque converter. I will be surprised if it made 100hp at the wheels

I really don't get this meme of "hurr your cars old so it doesnt make the power it was rated for"

I've had 2 hondas that felt like they had every bit of power advertised along with an old volvo that felt like it easily the power it was rated at. sounds like your possibly butt blasted.

>felt

my pnis felt yer mums meat wallet

Did it feel brand new to you too?

Stop embarrasing yourself. Old cars produced before 1973 and their engines were rated to gross output

If you're too retarded to understand gross vs net power ratings then you should go back to

What they fuck is wrong with Veeky Forums now?

>Guy buys extremely cheap project car to tinker on.
>Walk away OP it's impossible just trash it don't even work on it!!!!

Do you fuckers dislike working on cars or something? It's $400, that's fucking nothing. Seriously, have none of you ever learned to work on a car by messing around and fixing up old one? Trust me, it's how you actually learn to wrench, sitting at home reading google and repeating what you've read on an anime image board isn't.

but its a Mercedes and op is being a massive faggot who thinks he knows everything so im going to be mad

man, you little fuck are really desperate for (You)s.

everything was said to this and OP (probably you) is just being a faggot and probably even pulled the idea out his ass without real intentions.

those old mercedes are bulletproof, YES.
but to be bulletproof they need to be maintained which this car clearly isn't because 400.

there are parts (like someone mentioned before) especially rubber parts that just fucking decay after 20 or 30 years. you can't do fucking shit about it. it will happen on literally every damn car.

>I am on a budget tho and don't want to be putting thousands of dollars into this thing

Mate. I don't think this is a good idea.

Nevermind I just kept reading the thread....
>asks for advice
>all indications there is a money pit under the carpet
>not a single word from OP that at least acknowledges it as a possibility