So if I'm looking to buy a newer used car and finance it, is there a better option out there than Carmax?

So if I'm looking to buy a newer used car and finance it, is there a better option out there than Carmax?

Buying a cheaper one you can buy outright instead

Nah.

Could always go to a dealer and see what they have. Craigslist if you know things about cars. If you're not car savvy then yeah carmax or a dealership will best suit you

CarMax is shit
If you're intent on financing, do your research and use the tools given to you (Autotrader/cars.com) and you'll be able to find what you want for the best price

Make friends with someone at a dealership.

Car salesman, or at least many that Ive met, have a "cherry" list. When a used car comes in that's a "cherry" aka a good one that they know is gonna move really quick, they all scramble to be the first one to sell it since they know its a guaranteed sale if they can get to it fast enough.

Thats how I got my current car. 2013 Elantra came in with 50k miles on it, minimal wear and tear except a scratch over the gas cap. Got the call that night, walked out with it for 8k in the morning.

Depends on if the car you're buying is unreliable. If I was buying a used luxury car I'd get it from Carmax so I could get the warranty. Otherwise I'd just go to a normal dealer.

CarMax is garbage. "No haggle" means Jew pricing.

Try out hertz if you don't mind buying a rental

Carmax is only good if you want them to ship a car to you, or you wish for a no hassle "trade-in" sale.

Otherwise fucking apply for a loan at:
lightstream.com

I have two auto loans thru them. A 3.25% secured loan and a 3.65% unsecured loan. If your credit doesn't blow, you can own your car outright. I don't mean to shill but these fags have gotten me, my family, and my friends the best rates ever. And now since my credit score is over 775 (with good income) my last loan was straight cash. I have the title.
/shill

But for real. Apply there, it takes a few minutes and no one, dealer, or credit union has beat their rates, let alone not carrying my title.

Doug DeMuro pls go

If you have to finance go to a credit union and get a loan beforehand, then go negotiate wherever you want.

Then get cucked.

He finances used cars.

Enjoy your 8% APR. After 4 years you could have bought new.

>I can't negotiate 2.9%
Know how I can tell you're a sperg?

Go online and see what offers you can get from banks. Only do pre-qualification applications cause they dont fuck with your credit score. If you do qualify for something that is good for you take it to a dealer and see if they can make you a better offer. Dont accept anything that isnt realated to the loan as a better offer. Some dealer will offer free shit to get you into a loan that isnt as good. Shop around, dont take the first car you come across. You can always say no. Dont go to Carmax unless you absolutely hate haggling and dont mind paying extra.

What you gonna get m8?

>If you have to finance go to a credit union and get a loan beforehand, then go negotiate wherever you want.
This guy knows.

Suicide

>cherry list
>that's how I scored my base bitch hyundai

fucking lol. what a faggot you are.

Sure thing, kid. Like anyone here has a FICO above 700.

Enjoy paying all that interest.

Why not? It's easy to get a decent reliable car for under two grand. Just aim for the late 90s and early 2000s and stay away from Chrysler products.

They're alright. They ship cars for cheap from dealership to dealership (although can take some time). The no-haggle shit means you're likely paying the high end of the price range but I never see anything priced totally crazy or outlandish. Their prices are pretty consistent with nationwide averages but you can obviously get a better deal if you buy from a private seller or can haggle at a dealership that will negotiate.

Like others said, don't finance through them (or any dealership if you are).

815 reporting in. maybe stop being such a nigger and pay some bills and maybe live within your means for a few years.

You're right, nobody is ever responsible with their finances.

I bought my Lexus from some random sketchy lot in a bad part of town. I was literally the only white person there lol. 8 months later and still driving fine...

Who finances used cars?

Why not? I got a $10k loan back in April which is almost paid off. Barely accumulated any interest.

dat cuz itza lexxxus

After 4 years your loan should have already been payed off a year or two ago.

Whats wrong with a 8k hyundai? It's a good car at a good price. I like it, at least.

I think he's saying you made it sound like this "cherry list" consists of sweet cars that sell fast.

Sensible people that want 1 or 2 year old cars with the majority of the factory warranty. If you have good credit you can get a loan for a lower Apr than your average ROI for money. The difference might be small but lots of people have gotten comfortable squeezing the shit to a nickel.

Eh for the average person it's near impossible. Must people can't even change a tire

Carmax is for people who don't mind paying more for one stop, no haggle car shopping

So if you don't mind carmax raping the shit out of your wallet so you can get in and out, they're your dealership

>Who finances used cars?
The majority of people who buy used cars

>A 3.25% secured loan and a 3.65% unsecured loan.
>no one, dealer, or credit union has beat their rates
i just checked my credit union and their rate for used auto loans is 3.09% for 7 years and 2.59% for 6, and 2.09% for 5. you must have some shit credit unions wherever you are.

My score was around 750 half a year ago, now I'm at 708. What the fuck happened?

why don't you look at your report, dumbass?

this is why you shouldn't smoke crack

>tfw can't break 800

I bought from CarMax. Started working at CarMax 2 months later. Still with CarMax. At work now, as a matter of fact.

Finace rates are OK, but you'll likely do better with your own outside financing. Prices are normalized for nationwide sale, so if you're in a high cost of living area, our cars are priced average to slightly below average. If you're in Poorville, USA then our cars will seen overpriced.

I will say that our cars are a far less risky investment than anyone else's, as we thoroughly inspect/recondition the cars and can provide a plan similar to a warranty.

>I bought from CarMax. Started working at CarMax 2 months later. Still with CarMax.
sounds like you got lured into a cult

NO THERE IS NO BETTER OPTION

ALWAYS SELL YOUR CAR TO SOMEONE WHO WONT NEGOCIATE

I've been with the same bank for over 7 years.
Had several auto loans through them. Always paid early.
Just found out that they don't report to credit bureaus

C-U-C-K-E-D

Elantra? Seriously?

CarMax is a mixed bag. Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else--but CarMax doesn't allow haggling whatsoever, however they are an actual business in the way dealerships are not so, like Comcast or some other company of they rip you off on something or treat you poorly you can get something out of it if you make an effort to raise enough fuss. Your recompose may not be the best or you may not think it have been worth the time but they are more focused on trying to keep you happy and maintain their image because if they come off as initially problematic but reasonable and willing to work with you on an issue you may think better of then and all that to consider their services again. They're more customer service focused than any dealership may be. That said, it will be up to you to judge as to the quality of that service, whether it's AT&T or comcast-tier where any spent money is refunded to you as a credit with that company or Amazon-tier where they bend over backwards to keep you happy.

Look at this loser. 771... pfeh.

Step back and bask in the glory of perfect* credit, bitches. Behold!

*OK, 2 off. Sue me. But debt in the long run is for losers. Eventually you have to get ahead of the wave and live debt free if you're ever going to get ahead. You need to fucking save, and that requires living below your means.

top kek

If you get the Maxcare warranty sure.

There's a lot of stuff we won't fix, so ask to see what has been done by looking at the ERO history in the Carmax system. Gives you a good idea on what you're buying.

Also know that Maxcare claims are often denied because techs are lazy.

What is Maxcare? Is that the "bumper to bumper warranty" that Doug DeMuro did on a few cars he thought were advantageous (I imagine most the time it isn't, but fixed costs rather than variable costs worth something too)

The only car you should but at CarMax is an Aston Martin.

That car still cost him more than I thought to drive. He had some video on it, I forget the number, but I figured that car didn't have much left in its depreciation and I was wrong.

why didn't you get any credit cards?

>cards
Why would anyone need more than one credit card?

so you can milk them for sign up bonuses and never use them again

Whenever people say shit like "just buy in cash hurr" I think they're either out of touch with reality or feel this strange desire to high-horse others and generally feel superior.

There is nothing wrong with financing, leasing or using credit in any way as long as you're smart about it.

>Most people can't even change a tire
This is a meme, right? I always thought it was a joke.

I mean. I'm no car wiz but I can spend 30 minutes on google to figure out what is broken.

>tfw owns no cars with ODBII

kek. good luck actually getting those rates dude.

B U M P E R T O B U M P E R

Except that it's easy as fuck. Alliant Credit Union does 1.99% for new cars up to 60mo financing - I literally just picked up the phone and asked for $27,000 and they went "Yeah sure, sounds good to us."

I'm not even a member. They made me one just so I could take out the loan.

The best the dealer could find was 2.29% so I just stuck with the credit union. I ended up putting an extra $1000 down so I'm at 26,000 over 5 years at 1.99%, just like that. PNC will do like 3% all day long for used cars up to a certain ago.

>is there a better option out there than Carmax?
Pretty much anyone else out there. CarMax Price gouges the fuck out of customers

>CarMax Price gouges the fuck out of customers
I was getting my celica serviced and they had a dealership across the street. I walked over and saw a 2007 GT500 Cobra with 40k miles and they wanted 35k. Unless it was a misprint, that is a total fucking rip off.

Don't buy carmax unless you really need that massive warrsnty because your car is gonna break down. Just look on cargurus my dude

>is there a better option out there than Carmax?
To finance, yes, it's called a bank or a credit union. Unless you have really shitty credit. Financing is where the car buying experience becomes a clusterfuck for most, especially if you do it backwards by looking for a car first, then a loan. If you shop around and get a loan yourself, you can just go out and buy a car. You already know how much you can or want to spend and you can then also negotiate the price, something carmax doesn't do.

Sensibly? For sign-up bonuses / discounts.

You're a "cherry"